• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Risgroo

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll get the CSL! Good price too, even with shipping + any taxes it's much cheaper than buying the WRC here in Norway. Payday can't come soon enough.

I just received my CSL seat and I have to return it before even opening it :( Not enough room in our current apartment to "hide it away" when I am not using it. The wife may have won this racing sim cockpit battle, but she will lose the war. As soon as we find a house and get out of an apartment, tri screen sim cockpit time. I will re order the CSL seat asap.

Edit: Anyone in upstate NY who wants to buy an brand new un opened CSL at list price with no shipping PM me. I rather sell it than spend more money on shipping it back to them.

1-D_FTW

Man, finally found the deassembly instructions for the Thrustmaster t500 on the internet. What a PITA this is going to be.

Was racing for about 1.5 hour yesterday and the thing started working like garbage. At first I thought it was USB related. So I rebooted the computer. That helped some. Anyways, looking through the GT planet thread, I realize this is related to overheating. Works fine now, so nothing is destroyed, but it needs to be addressed since there is some grade A trash parts in this thing.

Even though I still have it under warranty for another 18 months, I just don't feel like dealing with them. I got V2 during Amazon's sale (like almost everyone who purchased then) and they're just going to send the same shitty fan anyways.

Anyways, I saw some pictures where people showed heat spreaders on the V4 main board (v2 doesn't have any and it has a tenancy to fry as a result). So I wanted to pop it open to see how high the head spreaders could be (for purchasing info). And to get a good idea on the fan situation (though I've already found a nice 60X60X15.5 that I know it'll need).

But fuck me. It's like 50 screws just to get the top off. And this is from the Thrustmaster PDF they send people with the replacement fan (which is the same shitty fan that's the issue anyways).

Sorry for the rant. I just can't believe how convoluted it is to get apart. And this is what you have to do anyways even with official warranty coverage.

1-D_FTW

I've got it apart. It really is the tale of two worlds. The motor and gears are of fantastic quality. But the wiring, cooling, microswitches (Fanatec use the same low life model), and difficultly placed screws that aren't magnetized are all low rent.

Unfortunately, there's absolutely zero way I can get to the underside of the circuit board without removing a bunch of wires and re-soldering. So installing heat spreaders on some of the chips is out. Wish I would have received a later version that had those already on. Lucky they have plastic holes that are meant to vent the area. So I'm going to mount a 50 or 60mm fan that flows onto those chips and keeps it from frying.

That fan on top is some real junk though. Guess I'm just going to go through the GT thread and see if I can get any more ideas. Right now, I'm basing things off of this guy:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5791906#post5791906

It's a good starting point. Although even there, better fan choices can be made.

Three60

jYhyXu4.jpg

We are happy to be releasing the info you've all been waiting for….

Finally, you too can say “hello” to our two new ClubSport Shifters.
Yes, you read it right – TWO ClubSport Shifters will be available in our online shop in July 2013: one with an H-Pattern mode and a second shifter with both H-Pattern + Sequential modes.
Our “CSS” will be available for the price of 149,95€ - US$149,95 - AU$169,95 and our “CSS SQ” for 199,95€ - US$199,95 - AU$229,95.

For more details, check out our product's page and see more pics. on www.fanatec.com

Branson

Hmm. Most wheels already have paddle shifters and I never used my g25 sequential that much. That's not bad for $150

Wait can I attach that thing to a table? I don't have a seat. I use my computer desk.

Three60

Fanatec finally released some detail specs of the Clubsport Shifter soon to be released.
The ClubSport Shifter is entirely made of metal, which equates to mean: built-in quality, durability and reliability.
The full metal construction of the shifter assures perfect design. Its impressive weight also testifies to its reliable sturdiness.
All components are high-quality and were chosen to ensure maximum lifetime and durability.
The ClubSport Shifter SQ features 7 speeds on a traditional H-Pattern, just like in a Porsche 911. Pressing down the shifter in order to shift into the 7th gear or reverse keeps you from shifting incorrectly and makes you go faster.
The ClubSport Shifter SQ features both the H-Pattern and sequential modes to allow for more driving flexibility and comfort. You can switch from the H-Pattern Mode to the ultra-realistic sequential mode without having to unplug or reboot the shifter, without having to remove the knob and even without needing a tool.
The ClubSport Shifter SQ comes with two titan grey polished anodized knobs in the box. Both enhance the technical qualities of each mode. The H-Knob allows for quick shifts whereas the sequential knob provides extreme comfort. They both deliver a timeless, classic and elegant look.
Thanks to its design, you will be able to change the knobs according to your own personal taste. Not only will you be able to give your shifter the perfect look, but you will also be able to customize it to match your exact driving preferences.

xCf21v5.png
fi1deQ6.png

Features
Full metal construction
Ultra realistic shifting experience
7 gear H-Pattern mode
Reverse gear with inhibitor to prevent accidental shifts and makes handling it, more realistic
Very realistic sequential mode with strong haptic feedback
Easy to switch between sequential and H-Pattern mode
Shifter knob made of solid polished aluminum
Exchangeable gear knob, compatible to popular automotive standards
Adjustable shift feeling and resistance
Multiple mounting options on all 4 sides and bottom

Compatibility
Compatible to all Fanatec wheels

Special Notes
7th gear only detected if the shifter is connected to a ClubSport Wheel

Packaging Details
Size (L x W x H) : 18.00cm x 18.00cm x 35.00cm
Weight: 2.40kg
Volume weight: 2.30kg
What's included
ClubSport Shifter SQ
H-knob
Sequential knob
2 x connector cables

1-D_FTW

I'm completely blank as to how that works.

Looks nice enough. I'm not personally tempted since I already have the TH8R and paid less than half the price of that. Plus I kind of like how it emulates the older race cars (which is what I use it for). But it certainly lives up to Fanatec's reputation for offering cool shit at reasonably affordable prices.

Three60

I'm completely blank as to how that works.

Looks nice enough. I'm not personally tempted since I already have the TH8R and paid less than half the price of that. Plus I kind of like how it emulates the older race cars (which is what I use it for). But it certainly lives up to Fanatec's reputation for offering cool shit at reasonably affordable prices.

Using clamp > http://eu.fanatec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=664

Features
Clamping system allows for endless height adjustments when connected to the ClubSport Shifter’s T-slot rails
CSS and CSS SQ can be mounted on either side, right or left and can even be screwed onto the top of the table clamp
CSR and Porsche Shifter Sets can be mounted on the front of the table clamp
Rock solid table mount with two metal screws
Metal design
Maximum size of the table board/desktop that the table clamp is able to lock is 7,7 cm

qCa94Hc.jpg

5xpsXI3.jpg

1-D_FTW

Okay. That is pretty nice. Although it only makes the price even higher. But I guess clamps not being included is expected with Fanatec.

Business

I've got a DSD sequential shifter and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd prefer to have an H pattern option as well though, like in the Fanatec, but there's no way I'm buying it now just for this option. I like H pattern and I'd use it for old racing cars or modern street cars, but the total lack of feel of the clutch in sim racing kills it for me.

TJP

Quite a number of changes to iRacing: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3186272.page

The list is rather long, so I wont copy and paste it here. Of note is the new tyre model:

- The way we model tire carcass yaw motion relative to the rim has been improved. This has helped responsiveness.

- The NTM tires (and real world tires) are very dependent on temperature which greatly affects the properties of rubber. We've always just used 3 slices of tire (inside, middle, outside) to track temperature since way back in the day, but this is not really sufficient for the NTM, since it is so much more critical to get correct temperature than in the OTM or Papyrus tire models. The tire code now computes temperatures for many elements across the surface. Now tires in the sim compute anywhere from 7-9 slices for our narrower tires, to up to 20 slices for the wide tires some of the cars have. The result is that as the tire contact patch is moving left and right across the tire surface the temperatures used by the grip code are more correct and produce a better, more progressive tire temperature effect. Also, the 3 temperatures we record for visual display are now more accurate too (although there is still work to be done there). This change applies to all NTM tires.

Shaneus

I don't ever remember reading that in the OP (then again, the OP was a long time ago). Something else for me to check out and never play!

amar212

I don't ever remember reading that in the OP (then again, the OP was a long time ago).

We have unfortunately lost McLaren and we never agreed on PM-ing mods to give someone else a privileges to be able to edit the OP - or to make a copy of OP, archive this thread and continue in the new one.

Maybe this is opportunity to vote or suggest who could take over that task, because it should really be done.

Cheers McLaren if you are reading this!

Watevaman

There are a lot of people in this thread that could definitely make a new one and handle it just fine. I wouldn't be adverse to getting a new one.

Arucardo

I'm ok with someone making a PC Racing Sims |OT2| , but who wants to make it?

Just quote the first post(s) of the thread and make some fixes/updates and additions and add a link to this thread if needed.

1-D_FTW

I'm ok with someone making a PC Racing Sims |OT2| , but who wants to make it?

Just quote the first post(s) of the thread and make some fixes/updates and additions and add a link to this thread if needed.

I'd be willing to update everything in the OP. But if this is the case, people need to list anything that's not already in this OP. I've pretty much got Power and Glory 2.0 and I start running out of what else I need to add.

Arucardo

One obvious omission is Reiza's Truck racing sim and ofc some info on stuff like CARS and Asetto Corsa needs to be updated.

EDIT: RaceRoom deserves it's own spot (it's mentioned in the SimBin titles in the OP but it's a little misleading now)
EDIT 2: The upcoming MotoGP13 game seems like it might be worth a mention but I'm still unclear about how much of a sim it is ( http://www.motogpvideogame.com/ )
EDIT 3: If you feel that MotoGP13 is worth mentioning then WRC 3 (by the same devs) might also be worth adding.

amar212

Somebody should investigate about indie-projects that McLaren usually covered very well.

Also, updates would need to be done for RRE, Sim Raceway, Auto Revolution and rFactor2. And of course, my beloved Ferrari Racing Legends (PC) should also be featured :)

I also propse how the second post in the new OP should be related to racing hardware by 3 major manufacturers (Logitech as MIA, Thrustmaster and Fanatec) and also with some dedicated smaller manufacturers for special parts (like Leo Bodnar, Basher Boards, Frex, ECII, etc). I could do the Hardware post, but not in next few weeks (maybe in 20 days or something) and I would appreciate some help if anyone is willing to contribute (with content, I would produce graphics/photos no probs).

Just suggesting.

Arucardo

Somebody should investigate about indie-projects that McLaren usually covered very well.

Also, updates would need to be done for RRE, Sim Raceway, Auto Revolution and rFactor2. And of course, my beloved Ferrari Racing Legends (PC) should also be featured :)

I also propse how the second post in the new OP should be related to racing hardware by 3 major manufacturers (Logitech as MIA, Thrustmaster and Fanatec) and also with some dedicated smaller manufacturers for special parts (like Leo Bodnar, Basher Boards, Frex, ECII, etc). I could do the Hardware post, but not in next few weeks (maybe in 20 days or something) and I would appreciate some help if anyone is willing to contribute (with content, I would produce graphics/photos no probs).

Just suggesting.

Oh yeah, that's a really good idea. I thought about a whole separate thread for something like that but I don't think the sim community on gaf is big enough to warrant the separate threads. The discussion should fit in nicely inside the PC Racing sim thread.

I'll keep looking in to some more games that are worth mentioning

Knock yourself out 1-D.

What Arucardo and Amar said, plus some new screenies and stuff. Maybe it would be best if we kept it contemporary too, with the exception of RBR which is still best in class.

1-D_FTW

Just suggesting.

Definitely was thinking about having a hardware section. Even adding things like Buttkicker/Simvibe info. And just for shit and giggles, some of the motion rigs that have come down into the 2000 range.

Also think there should be links for the best places to download tracks/mods for any game that supports them.

Although if you want to add in-depth impressions for all the different wheels, you're the best place for that. So the space would definitely be reserved for any update you wanted to add.

Knock yourself out 1-D.

What Arucardo and Amar said, plus some new screenies and stuff. Maybe it would be best if we kept it contemporary too, with the exception of RBR which is still best in class.

I'll do it then. Might take anywhere from a couple days to a week before I post it, but I'll start putting it together here and there.

Just keep posting anything else that's cool and needs to be added.

1-D_FTW

I can't really tell. Isn't it just the same wheel taken at a different angle/perspective?

EDIT: I guess the paddle shifters look different. Probably attached to the wheel now. Although I've adjusted surprisingly well to the fixed system. And it's got the angled thing. Wonder if it's telemetry.

amar212

Thrustmaster facebook comments suggesting it is new (cheaper probably) "T100" model.

Good decision from THRS if true, with death of Logitech good and affordable mid-range wheel is much more needed on market then another high-price model.

Arucardo

Yeah looking at that picture some more the diameter of the wheel rim seems smaller and overall there's more plastic used, at least judging from this angle. I wonder if it still uses the massive T500 motor in it.

1-D_FTW

Yeah looking at that picture some more the diameter of the wheel rim seems smaller and overall there's more plastic used, at least judging from this angle. I wonder if it still uses the massive T500 motor in it.

Didn't the GTPlanet forum say the OEM cost on that was 120 dollars? And the PSU needed to power it was another 90 bucks? If that really is going to be a budget model, I would expect something smaller. To be at 200 BoM for just those two parts isn't really acceptable in a budget wheel.

Three60

Maybe its just a different wheel rim for the t500?

EDIT:

Purely speculation on my side, but i'm thinking this is just a "458 challenge" replica rim for T500. Could be proven right or wrong soon enough i guess ;)

If it really is a 458 rim shame that it has no alcantara on it..

amar212

Now I am even more confident this is the "mid-price" solution.

Great work by Thrustmaster if true, it will be interesting to see the pedals.

Modularity clearly becomes the next big thing among (remaining) producers and that is a great outcome of the past few years.

Three60 will probably post the real info fro above, good for T500 owners, bad for all those who were looking for the mid-price solution by remaning producers.

1-D_FTW

Maybe its just a different wheel rim for the t500?

EDIT:

Purely speculation on my side, but i'm thinking this is just a "458 challenge" replica rim for T500. Could be proven right or wrong soon enough i guess ;)

If it really is a 458 rim shame that it has no alcantara on it..

Is the speculation this is a third party mod? Or first? Cause that's pretty sweet. But those third party mods get real expensive.

EDIT: DISREGARD if you missed the original post. Deleted my second quote (of myself talking about fan mods on T500). Guess I missed the part where the mod guy mentioned 50mm. Although even that seems iffy. I doubt the fans are even that big.

To my amazement I have just stumbled across my old copy of Grand Prix Legends ... is there still an active community for this? I only ever played it with a keyboard back in the day so being able to hook up my G25 now would be awesome!

Arucardo

To my amazement I have just stumbled across my old copy of Grand Prix Legends ... is there still an active community for this? I only ever played it with a keyboard back in the day so being able to hook up my G25 now would be awesome!

Afaik there's definitely some community made fixes and stuff for it like a widescreen/resolution fix and such. If isamu happens to stumble in here he probably knows a lot more about it (I recall him being a huge fan of it, heh) than I do.

mrsmr2

Thanks to this great thread, Game Stock Car came to my attention.

Downloaded the demo two weeks ago, played it to death, and bought it last weekend.

Fantastic game. So much so, it's hard to go back to GTR2, Race 07, Simraceway, and Race Room Experience.

I still enjoy an outing in Power and Glory 3 from time to time.

Top Bottom