• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Zeth

I really want to get into this stuff. Should I buy a G27, or are there better options? $300 is probably at the high end of what I want to spend. The Thrustmaster GT Cockpit looks too good to be true for $250.

HoosTrax

Hey, so I'm looking at the Fanatec CSR, as I prefer to have 360-style face buttons on controllers I use on my PC (Playstation button labels are a pet peeve of mine). These seem to be really hard to find for sale anywhere -- are they only available direct from Fanatec USA?

I guess it's also a more expensive solution than the G27.

Mascot

Oh dear god no! I'm ashamed of my post count enough as it is without getting to a number closer to yours :p

PS. I must apologise, because I'm sure now that I've been mistaking both you and Metalmurphy... only in my head, but still, such a thing I think is deserved of an apology.

;)

Apology NOT accepted.

Pepto

Banned
I really want to get into this stuff. Should I buy a G27, or are there better options? $300 is probably at the high end of what I want to spend. The Thrustmaster GT Cockpit looks too good to be true for $250.

Check out the Fanatec wheels. I think that the CSR wheel and pedals are under 300.

Went to a car boot sale this morning and picked up GTR Evo, Toca 2 and some old F1 management game for £1.

I can't get round to installing GTR until later this week, does it run fine on Windows 7, support widescreen out of the box and are there are good mods worth getting in the meantime?

HoosTrax

Holy crap. $44 shipping and handling for the Fanatec CSR value pack. Is there a reason why Fanatec doesn't have any distribution channels in the US?

TJP

I can't get round to installing GTR until later this week, does it run fine on Windows 7, support widescreen out of the box and are there are good mods worth getting in the meantime?
Assuming it's the SimBin game then yes to widerscreen and running fine on Windows 7 (and 8 too). I have the DVD version of Race On and the booklet has a Steam code so I'm guessing GTR EVO has one too.

As for mods, take a look at websites such as NoGrip, RaceDepartment, Virtua LM (for several tracks)...if you look hard enough, you'll find conversions of both GT Legends and GTR 2 that'll work with what you've bought 8)

markao

Tow new RaceRoom Experience cars, test for free at the listed dates.

tbyb-radical1uixf48qu5o.png

tbyb-paganiiyxgv36ujr.png

‎13 years ago I designed a race track on paper in English class. Today, with the aid of some handy software, I finally made that 2D dream into a 3D reality and ran my first race on it using rFactor. This is truly a momentous day! :)

I'm a sucker for this stuff
:') congrats!

Three60

iRacing coming to Mac and Linux >

http://www.bsimracing.com/iracing-mac-and-linux-version-first-build-ready/#.UYghWLV7JyI

And for you drifters and rally drivers, new DSD Hydraulic Handbrake >

http://www.virtualr.net/derek-speare-designs-hydraulic-handbrake

Looks sexy :)

+

New Thrustmaster T500 drivers >

Thrustmaster on Facebook:
Now available for download: New Driver + New Firmware for T500RS Racing Wheel here:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=316&cid=15

Changes in the new “2013_TTRS_1” driver:
- Added detection of the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” in the PC Control Panel.
- Resolved a problem of the wheel randomly disconnecting in some PC games.
- Resolved a problem of residual Force Feedback effects in some PC games.

Change in the new “V41” firmware:
- Added compatibility for the “Ferrari 458 Challenge Wheel” on PC and PlayStation®3.

b2xzsqN.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
iRacing coming to Mac and Linux >

http://www.bsimracing.com/iracing-mac-and-linux-version-first-build-ready/#.UYghWLV7JyI

And for you drifters and rally drivers, new DSD Hydraulic Handbrake >

http://www.virtualr.net/derek-speare-designs-hydraulic-handbrake

Looks sexy :)

+

New Thrustmaster T500 drivers >

What I don't get is how many wheels are actually compatible MAC or Linux?

On a side note, I remember seeing a post about somebody using a Kinect as a TrackIR replacement (I think it was Shaneus but I can't find your post). What's the name of the software and does it work well? Do you need to be super far from the kinect like when you're using it with a 360?

I got bins full of unused Kinect at work so if it's worth it I could borrow one to try it.

Edit: Ah, looks like it's one of the programs from TOCA Edit (man that dude has been around FOREVER!). I'll grab a kinect at work tomorrow to try it out.

Assuming it's the SimBin game then yes to widerscreen and running fine on Windows 7 (and 8 too). I have the DVD version of Race On and the booklet has a Steam code so I'm guessing GTR EVO has one too.

As for mods, take a look at websites such as NoGrip, RaceDepartment, Virtua LM (for several tracks)...if you look hard enough, you'll find conversions of both GT Legends and GTR 2 that'll work with what you've bought 8)

Thanks! As it happens the code had been used so I don't know if I can play it now, there was something about an offline though, going to reinstall and see if it goes through.

TJP

MotoGP 13 won't be a 'hardcore' simulation like Piboso's GP Bikes but it'll still be very good.

Watevaman

After playing SBK Generations I'm not sure I'll pick up MotoGP 13. It's usually a long time between bike games but playing them really makes me realize why I only play them for like a week at a time.

TJP

After playing SBK Generations I'm not sure I'll pick up MotoGP 13.
Little wonder you feel that way; SBK Generations is the only Milestone game I haven't bought since SBK 2001. Basically SBK Generations is all of the SBK games rolled into one with little to none changes; the ancient graphics engine and horrid career mode with Codemasters F1 style upgrade system doesn't help the game as it gets old very fast. Hopefully Milestone have learnt that recycling old ideas doesn't make for a great experience.

HoosTrax

Any racing games with particularly good SP career modes? (starting off at the lower levels, less prestigious classes, winning sponsors etc)

I also saw that NFS Shift 1/2 were on sale for a few bucks each, not sure if those would fit the bill?

Watevaman

I went from loving MotoGP08 so I figured I'd buy SBK (which I guess was 2008 in EU) on PS3. While I enjoyed SBK, I quickly realized a pure motorcycle simulation is a lot harder than I made it out to be, so I stopped playing that after about a month. Then SBK Generations went on sale a few months back and I picked it up thinking it's time I got back into bike games again. But yeah, as you said, it's pretty much just like SBK (08) was. While fun, it only lasts so long.

That, and riding a real bike beats it.

Watevaman

Any racing games with particularly good SP career modes? (starting off at the lower levels, less prestigious classes, winning sponsors etc)

I also saw that NFS Shift 1/2 were on sale for a few bucks each, not sure if those would fit the bill?

Shift 2 is probably the best deal there. Not many PC sims have career modes.

edit: oops, double post

Shaneus

Definitely. With a bit of modding they can be quite good, but even out of the box they're more than adequate for what you're looking for. Better than the GRID career mode, at least.

TJP

Shift Unleashed with the Unofficial Community Patch from NoGrip is excellent simply for the GT1 and GT3 licenced cars and tracks.

Another sim that fits your requirements just without sponsors is GTR 2 - a joint production between SimBin and Blimey! aka Slightly Mad. You have a driving school to complete and single player mode that unlocks cars and classes plus night racing, weather etc and there is a tonne of mods, including Power and Glory 3 mod. GTR 2 is essentially Shift 2 without the polished graphics engine and simarcade physics. Both Shift and Unleashed are using modded versions of the ISImotor2 physics engine down to the same typos in the car stats according to the makers of the aformentioned Unofficial Community Patch.

S2U Unofficial Community Patch: https://bitbucket.org/ermo/s2u_ucp/wiki/Home

Bug fix summary:

Fixed reversed suspension link positions in aarm_multilink.sdf
Fixed reversed toe values bug (flipped positive and negative values so that they now correctly match the tuning menu)
Fixed sounds for Nissan 2000GTR and Nissan 240ZG engine swap
Fixed Mazda RX8 and Porsche 914 engine descriptions
Fixed bug in Bugatti Veyron rear-left "SlowBump" range
Corrected power of Mazda RX7 FC rotary (stock and turbo upgrades)
Fixed uneven ReboundTravel on many cars
Fixed diffuser base value typos on various cars
Fixed uneven left/right tuning on various cars
Fixed front & rear wing range for Audi R8 LMS
Fixed camber values on various cars
Corrected fuel tank locations (some were up to 2m behind car)
Fixed missing DiffPumpSetting values (from "DiffPumpSetting= " to "DiffPumpSetting=0" which was found to produce more consistent AI behaviour in Overhaul mod for Shift 1)
Fixed a bug that prevented proper upgrade of Mercedes 190e Evo2
Reduced the magnetized effect of collisions with walls/rails and other vehicles
Fixed reversed mirrors in several cars
Fixed syntax errors in tracks.lod files
Fixed tuning level issue introduced by unpacking
Fixed Nissan GT-R Engine-Swap 'Phantom Turbo' problem
Fixed brake heating issue on Mazda RX-7 FC Speedhunters
Fixed Lamborghini Murcielago vents so that they pop up at the correct temperature
Fixed wheel offsets and sizes on a range of cars (wheelfixit v2.1)

Enhancements summary:

Revised installation method with a selection of unpacked game files for ease of modding and explicit compatibility with the Career Mod and the unpacked version of the Polish Tyre Mod for S2U.
Support for dropping custom liveries (*.dds files) directly into the \vehicles\textures\ folder
Includes optional unpacked UCP-compatible repacks of requested mods:
XBox 360 Controller buttons by Kaerar
DFGT & PS3 Controller buttons by vincentgarcia
Unlock Hidden Car mods by Jeroen vd Helm
Minimod dinput8.dll by Juls
Removed intro movies for a faster game startup
Enabled ability to skip career movies
Increase garage spaces to 800
Speedhunters DLC cars can now be sold back to car lot (for $0)
Disabled reverse driving penalty to double available tracks in hot lap mode
Increase maximum career level to 40 (1 million XP): Unlocks the arrow vinyls at lvl 35 and speedhunter vinyls at lvl 40. (reputation_level.xml)
Change how reward cars are handled; all cars except rival cars are now available for purchase in the car lot, the rationale being that rival cars are unique (unlockableitems.xml, reputation_unlockables.xml):
Nissan Silvia
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Lamborghini Murcielago
Pagani Roadster HP
Lamborghini Reventon HP Cop Edition
Alfa Romeo 8c Spider
Aston Martin DBS Volante
Audi R8 Spyder
Koenigsegg Agera
Pagani Cinque Roadster
Chevy Camaro Dr. Pepper
Porsche Autobild GT3
Created standard adjustment units for the following tuning options (set all base values to 0 while keeping original preset values, this way you know what you're actually setting for these items):
Tyre pressure now displays the actual kPa value (previously we saw only a condensed kPa range, which varied between different cars, making tuning confusing)
Steering lock now displays your actual steering lock in degrees (allowing easier comparison between cars)
Differential Power/Coast/Preload
Established a common base camber tuning range (-5 to +5 degrees) and adjustment value (0.1)
Increased caster range from 0-7.3 to 0-10 degrees (higher values provide better ffb and more direct handling)
Unlocked more default tuning options for lower tier cars
Tweaked tyre sounds to be more prominent
Tweak upgrade gear ratios for some cars (Moorsman74) and tweak stock gear ratios for others (transfixit v1).
Tweak speedometer movement for cars with non-fixed speed 'ticks' (speedofixit v2)

So yeah, probably worth installling 8)

Zeth

At the end of Season Challenge in F1 2012 there's a short pre-rendered movie with faux coldplay music that shows a few awesome slow- motion closeups of front wings flexing after hitting bumps; can anyone confirm or deny whether that's possible in-engine? I don't think I've seen it in replays? Just curious.

mrsmr2

Enjoyed RaceRoomExperience tonight in the taster event.

Had 45 mins in the Radical and, as this doesn't suffer from wheelspin of death when you hit 6,000 revs like a lot of the free cars do, and as the force feedback has been significantly improved recently, it was a nice experience.

Unfortunately, I got 'connection lost' during the session with the only option to quit to desktop.

That's why I will never pay money to play an on-line only game.

Pity really, as it has improved since the closed beta I was in and is shaping up quite well.

1-D_FTW

HoosTrax

Thanks guys, ending up grabbing Shift 2.

This is embarrassing. I'm having a harder time driving a fake, digital Civic Si at 70 mph than I do driving my real Civic on the Beltway every day. The 360 controller is probably not helping. Have a G27 on order, will hopefully get here by the weekend.

luiztfc

Those Fanatec wheels are awesome. You guys recommend good youtube reviews of racing sim gear? I love to watch this kind of stuff.

Thanks guys, ending up grabbing Shift 2.

This is embarrassing. I'm having a harder time driving a fake, digital Civic Si at 70 mph than I do driving my real Civic on the Beltway every day. The 360 controller is probably not helping. Have a G27 on order, will hopefully get here by the weekend.

Won't help much, i'm afraid. Shift's handling just plain sucks, and it's the reason i gave up on the game. Cars rotate on their axles and the movement seems to be delayed. It's just a really horrible setup that makes you want to break the DVD in half.

Watevaman

Won't help much, i'm afraid. Shift's handling just plain sucks, and it's the reason i gave up on the game. Cars rotate on their axles and the movement seems to be delayed. It's just a really horrible setup that makes you want to break the DVD in half.

I found it much better with the community patch/Polish Tire Mod.

1-D_FTW

Plus the FFB sucks in those Shift games. So don't think lowly of your new G27 (when it arrives) based off those impressions.

Shaneus

MotoGP™13 - 2012 Top Riders Pre-Order Trailer (DLC#1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQI58FHAWDM

No idea if this and any other DLC is actually available to PC players. Does anyone know if the DLC for WRC was made available on platforms apart from consoles?
I have a feeling there was DLC for WRC3, but it was free? Hopefully the price is right and it's not over $40.

Question: What's the optimum way to play bike games on PC? Wheel doesn't seem like it would be right, so I guess controller? Maybe even something like a flightstick to simulate the angle of the bike?

Edit: I noticed that someone bitched about the graphics... look fine to me.

How do the MotoGP games rate as far as simmyness go? On a scale of iRacing to PGR4 ;)

Megasoum

Banned
I have a feeling there was DLC for WRC3, but it was free? Hopefully the price is right and it's not over $40.

Question: What's the optimum way to play bike games on PC? Wheel doesn't seem like it would be right, so I guess controller? Maybe even something like a flightstick to simulate the angle of the bike?

How do the MotoGP games rate as far as simmyness go? On a scale of iRacing to PGR4 ;)

BOOM

P9280012.jpg

Actually I have no idea if there's anything modern supported by that controller (or if it's actually any good).

TJP

I use an Xbox 360 controller; before that I Sidewinder pad that you tilted to turn corners. It came with a copy of Motorcross Madness. The fact is motorcycle racing sims/games are such a niche market that having a controller that mimics the real thing is a pipe dream. I do know of one guy who has made a working set of controls complete with handlebars, throttle, clutch and front brake controls plus footpegs, gear shift and rear brake but it's a prototype nd unlikely to get a full production run. Videos are available of it on YouTube like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1JqT6P0Qi4

So what's new? Every game has its detractors. People here are complaining Drive Club doesn't look as good as GT5 and FM4 PHOTO mode. I agree MotoGP 13 looks good; the exhaust flame effect is a little pants but I don't spend my time obsessing over such shite.

Buy GP Bikes (or try the demo) if you are wanting cutting edge motorcycle physics. Be warned that the developer, Piboso, can be a little flaky with development times so it may be a finished product by 2020. It will be worth the wait though..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhIZTnKZB7Q

To be honest, ever since GP500, most two wheeled releases have been games and not sims - Namco and Climax made GP games definitely are on the arcade, Monumental made simcade gams with MotoGP '09/'10 and '10/'11 (I liked '10/'11) side whilst Milestone have always made light simulations akin to Tourist Trophy, Forza and GT.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder is the speed wheel thinghy for Xbox 360 that came out with Forza 4 works on PC? I imagine it would be all right for a bike game.

Shaneus

Holy shit, that's a great idea, Megasoum. I'll let you know in 30 seconds ;)

BTW GP Bikes looks kinda godly, TJP. But I think I'd be happy with Milestone's take on things. I have a feeling GPB would be *too* simmy for my tastes.

That reminds me. I want KartSim!

Edit: No updates on @KartSim since October, tried getting to the website to check... didn't work. Wasn't sure if it was me or not, so...
fgEXUtS.png

:(

Hope everything's okay with the guy.

Jibbed

Holy shit, that's a great idea, Megasoum. I'll let you know in 30 seconds ;)

BTW GP Bikes looks kinda godly, TJP. But I think I'd be happy with Milestone's take on things. I have a feeling GPB would be *too* simmy for my tastes.

That reminds me. I want KartSim!

Edit: No updates on @KartSim since October, tried getting to the website to check... didn't work. Wasn't sure if it was me or not, so...
fgEXUtS.png

:(

Hope everything's okay with the guy.

There was actually a build released recently (Beta8 I think), and as far as I'm aware he's still actively working on new content for the sim.

I'd expect the site to be back up soon.

Edit: I'm an idiot, confused this with Kart Racing Pro (which you should definitely check out by the way, it's by far the best karting sim I've tried).

I'd love to see an update or two for KartSim.. it was looking really promising.

HoosTrax

Exactly...the PTM mod made Shift 2 really enjoyable and fixed most of the issues.

And it had great FFB on fanatec wheels, dunno for G25/27.
Feels so much better after installing that mod and messing around with the settings a bit.

edit: the one that does still feel weird - when I make a turn, I expect to feel some understeer force feedback on a car like the Civic. As it is, I don't feel any and so end up oversteering every turn (I end up on the inside of every driving line as I make the turn).

Top Bottom