• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

1-D_FTW

Maybe its just a different wheel rim for the t500?

EDIT:

Purely speculation on my side, but i'm thinking this is just a "458 challenge" replica rim for T500. Could be proven right or wrong soon enough i guess ;)

If it really is a 458 rim shame that it has no alcantara on it..

Darrin Ganji at Inside Sim Racing has confirmed they have a couple in for review and will be posting something fairly soon.

Wonder just how different it'll be. The paddles are obviously going to be fixed. But that second picture is definitely an after market wheel. You can tell the first picture is all molded plastic for the wheel. So I don't think it's going to be a huge departure aside from some button changes.

To my amazement I have just stumbled across my old copy of Grand Prix Legends ... is there still an active community for this? I only ever played it with a keyboard back in the day so being able to hook up my G25 now would be awesome!

Sure, there are still pockets of people still working on stuff. You've got 15 years worth of mods to tap into though. Like Arucardo said, there's some hoop jumping to get it to work on Win7 with modern screen, and texture resolutions, but it's not too bad. Just search for the stuff, you'll find it.

It still drives well. It's still totally playable. It's a testament to how advanced it was at the time (a time when people playing with a keyboard or flight stick was not uncommon!).

The iRacing L49 subforum is loaded with people who've contributed to GPL over the years. It's pretty nuts actually. All waiting for Kaemmer's encore.

Darrin Ganji at Inside Sim Racing has confirmed they have a couple in for review and will be posting something fairly soon.

Wonder just how different it'll be. The paddles are obviously going to be fixed. But that second picture is definitely an after market wheel. You can tell the first picture is all molded plastic for the wheel. So I don't think it's going to be a huge departure aside from some button changes.

*Actual 458C

I still have to think this might be the new default wheel for the t500 since it's basically off the market right now.

1-D_FTW

*Actual 458C

I still have to think this might be the new default wheel for the t500 since it's basically off the market right now.

:lol

That would explain things.

Probably right about it being the default wheel. Speaking of the T500, finally got mine back together. Managed to put in two high quality fans that I think should give it good thermals. What a PITA. That gray indentation just makes everything a mess inside. Things would have been so much more manageable (and easier to access the top) had they just gone with a single piece. It's purely for aesthetics too:( And I don't even think it looks good. Certainly not worth making the inside a PITA to access and work in.

Also saw what somebody did to their pedals and decided to give it a shot. Haven't tried out either yet. Just catching up on the NFL draft. Spent way too many hours inside the wheel.

srYPXWZ.jpg

Arucardo

Looks a little cramped to me, but I guess it depends on how you use them. Are you wearing shoes or socks when using those pedals?

I tend to use shoes myself nowadays to make heel-toeing easier.

Mascot

Looks a little cramped to me, but I guess it depends on how you use them. Are you wearing shoes or socks when using those pedals?

I find Heat Holders thermal socks perfect for the Fanatec Clubsport pedals.

HeatHolders-super.jpg

Nice and warm on those cold aluminium surfaces, but still allowing great feel and control. Don't think I'd ever be happy wearing shoes in my racing rig, unless they were thin-soled racing boots.

1-D_FTW

I wear sneakers now. Used to go barefoot, but it was completely unnatural and made me very jerky with my braking.

Spent about an hour playing the latest rf 2 updates and I like it. Even without heal and toe, I'd still keep it.

Just gave it a feel barefoot and it actually feels a lot better and more natural. So if anyone races barefoot, I'd definitely recommend a try. Feels good to have the brake pedal occupy the entire width of your foot.

Anyone know of a place I can buy some stiffer springs for my CSPs in the UK?

The old tuning kit had some that were around 30% stiffer but ideally I'd want far more.

Mascot

Anyone know of a place I can buy some stiffer springs for my CSPs in the UK?

The old tuning kit had some that were around 30% stiffer but ideally I'd want far more.

I used to occasionally source springs in my last job, but can't for the life of me remember who the supplier was. They did short-run custom springs, too. Fairly cheap. I'll ask some old colleagues and let you know if I get anywhere.

Three60

Finally :)

WRC3 PC patch is out >

http://www.bsimracing.com/wrc-3/#20130429110

[Road to Glory - Game Stuck] 5th, 6th and 7th Boss Battles unplayable (the car does not start with the manual gearbox, and on the slopes with hill-start the car slides back, if you put automatic transmission is starts slowly)

Now I can finally finish the career mode..

Shaneus

Bahaha, holy shit:
The feedback force "maximum" is too much and tends to heat too much the Logitech wheels (after 2 h there was burn smell)
Wrecking car user may access replay and playing during it

Will this patch negate any of the fan-made patches (like that physics one or the other one... I think there was another one, at least)? I'm assuming so, but it'd be handy to know.

Interesting there's no PS3 fix mentioned.

I vaguely remember there being unable to create an account in the game launcher, so glad to see it's fixed.

Three60

New "pic" of that t500 wheel rim >

J1KQCBH.jpg

I guess I was right about this being 458C replica wheel rim :D

But it kinda looks cheap and plasticky :(

1-D_FTW

I've been periodically looking around for stuff in the OP. It hasn't come along as quickly as I thought. That said, I really do think it needs a tuning section. And since a number of my rf2 setups got lost to the void for some reason, I dug out a stack of paper I printed out a year ago. I'm determined to finally make heads and tales of it all and at least try and make it somewhat accessible.

If anyone doesn't want to wait and just wants to do a quick and dirty OT, you're more than welcome. Or if there's a setup expert that wants to share the secrets, even better. Otherwise, I'll plug along here and there.

My rig, on the other hand, doesn't have me wanting for anything at the moment. I really like the brake/clutch pedal in the modified position. The brake feels like an actual brake under the foot now. And as for the added fans to my T500, placebo affect or not, I think it's definitely improved my wheel. I used to attribute my car getting looser and more accident prone at the end of a race to tire wear/empty gas tank, but I ran a long race at Mid Ohio in the Eve F2 car yesterday and it felt just as good at the end. Makes me think my FFB was suffering a bit as the temps began to rise.

Thread's gone quite... must be that GT5/Forza thread eating clicks :)

A nothing special iRacing video of a couple laps from Mosport. I brain faded and spun the Caddy from pole at turn 2, and had to sit there at the edge of the track like a fool as a million Kias went by before I could safely get back on. Still somehow managed to win overall.

http://youtu.be/S9TjDa5KOZo

New build stuff in the vid--> Kia Optima, Cadillac exterior sounds, gyrocam.

The changes they made to the tire model this build are really, really nice. The Cadillac is now boss as hell. It totally chuckable. It slides and drifts all over the place. I definitely recommend going back and giving it a second chance.

paskowitz

A nothing special iRacing video of a couple laps from Mosport. I brain faded and spun the Caddy from pole at turn 2, and had to sit there at the edge of the track like a fool as a million Kias went by before I could safely get back on. Still somehow managed to win overall.

http://youtu.be/S9TjDa5KOZo

New build stuff in the vid--> Kia Optima, Cadillac exterior sounds, gyrocam.

The changes they made to the tire model this build are really nice. The Cadillac is now boss as hell. It totally chuckable. It slides and drifts all over the place. I definitely recommend going back and giving it a second chance.

Considering I found the Caddy to be especially undrivable, I may give this a go again.

Considering I found the Caddy to be especially undrivable, I may give this a go again.

Some cars seem to have benefited more than others with the changes. This one definitely has. The tires have a real progressive break away now, which is good because the car still moves around quite a bit. It just gives you a lot more confidence. Take a look over at the forum at what people are working on with the setup too.

TJP

That's one hilarous thread. I really wanted to post what a Forza modder said about the FM4 tyre model (as well as depth of the upgrade system) on the pCARS forum but it's not worth the time and effort. Forza and GT are both solid console sims and both fan bases should be happy to have what they've got thanks to MS and Sony respectively deep development pockets.

The changes they made to the tire model this build are really, really nice. The Cadillac is now boss as hell. It totally chuckable. It slides and drifts all over the place. I definitely recommend going back and giving it a second chance.
It's funny you should post this because I recently signed up to iRacing, a week before the last batch of updates. I became curious as I kept reading posts by two 'camps': those who think iRacing is shite and those who think it's the best PC sim. Strangely neither camp thought much of the Cadillac 8)

Now to be fair and honest I've only been a member for three weeks but I don't understand the hatred towards the sim. iRacing isn't the best sim - personally I don't believe there is such a sim - nor is it the worst. It does feature the best and most well organised mutliplayer system I've encountered and if you love stats, iRacing has you covered too. It's also decent to look at, physics feel believable (as in I'm yet to have a WTF moment) and the FFB is very good. I'm sure like all commerical sims there are aspects of iRacing that aren't perfect but as I'm not using McLaren's, Red Bull's or Ferrari's multi million dollar simulators, I'm very pleased what what is on offer.

So i finally downloaded Simraceway, and i liked what i saw. Prices for the racing cars are too high. so i'll just keep playing with the free cars.

Graphics are kind of ugly, but expected on a game that relies on other stuff to shine.

I definitely liked the tuning and the physics. As for the physics, i just didn't liked them in slow speeds and also how the game simulates momentum, it seems to have a delay to make it more difficult, but i'm still going back and fourth with the wheel settings to see if it's just calibration or not.

Shame some of my favorite cars are so expensive.

Is GAF playing this one? How can i find you guys on the lobbies?

TJP

So i finally downloaded Simraceway, and i liked what i saw. Prices for the racing cars are too high. so i'll just keep playing with the free cars.

Is GAF playing this one? How can i find you guys on the lobbies?
I am 8) I cannot understand why more people at least try the sim. It is a little old looking because it's using ISI's gMotor 2 (and isiMotor2 engine). On the flipside being an ISI based product, the physics and tyre models are very solid and the FFB on my G27 is usually pretty convincing. SRW also benefits from the input of a few professional drivers such as Allan Mcnish.

I bought $20 worth of credit as the dev team deserve that simply for the free tracks. I purchased 15 cars and have money left over. FWIW, I believe the open wheel cars aren't up with the best on the PC but many of the tin-tops are excellent. I like that you earn in-game credits for lapping and competing in time trials and multiplayer races and test-drive Tuesdays which includes the car being 50% off for the entire Tuesday. The car list in SRW is the best of any PC sim and keeps getting bigger although a few of the top-tier prices need to come down. To be fair, most of the cars can be bought in bundles at a discounted price.

Arucardo

Ever since the Cadillac was released in iRacing I really wanted to like the car, but the multiple times I've gone back to give it a chance I've always found something really wrong with it. I guess the car just wasn't enjoyable at all for me, but I'm tempted to try it again if I feel like re-subbing to iRacing again in the near future.

The hump to re-sub isn't that big but I'd have to buy a track or three if I did and I'm not sure I have the desire to invest that much in to it.

mrsmr2

But how do I get them?

I've downloaded everything, but the Evo is the only car that appears in "My Cars". I see the other cars under "My Cars" on Test Drive Tuesday so I don't know why I don't see the other free cars.

TJP

The cars should download automatically along with all the tracks. Check the in-game car list and you should be able to select the BMW and the Formula 3 as a 'priority download' or something similar.

mrsmr2

I'll have another look but there is nothing waiting to download in the updater.

I wonder if this is a regional thing and UK only get one car.

Thanks

TJP

Shouldn't be a regional thing as I'm in Oz and DL'd the three free cars - everyone gets them. The downloads may have corrupted (its happened to me) so it may be worth the time to restart SRW and try again. I just saw the following message on the SRW website: "IMPORTANT: We shall be shutting down for planned maintenance at noon PST (12.00PM PST - 08.00PM GMT - 07.00PM UTC)"

Edit: If you have any further issues, contact the SRW support staff. I've contacted them in the past and they are great to deal with and very quick to respond.

mrsmr2

This article says there is only 1 as well.

I only installed it around 5 months ago so maybe they provided more free cars if you installed it before a certain point?

TJP

That's an odd decision if they scrapped the three free cars as the EVO is an awful example of the cars in SRW. I'm now reading the support forums and it appears decision was made back in late 2012 whereby existing players didn't get the BMW or F3 car. The following is from Marc of SRW:
"On December 20t we started giving three new cars to people who joined. I can't recall the exact time, but it was sometime in the afternoon Pacific. From then forward, all new accounts will get the Exo-X, F3 and BMW 1M. As you noted, for a few days three was a glitch where new accounts got no cars. Once we discovered this, it was fixed and the email you described went out. We have no plans to retrofit existing accounts with these two cars, and we recognize that past customers may feel it's unfair they don't have the extra two cars."

I guess one could create a new account and see if all three cars are downloaded 8) According to this link: https://www.simraceway.com/campaign/facebook new players download 'three complimentary cars'. I must have been one of the lucky ones.

This is coming too:

946744_10151478206049247_1525427927_n.png

mrsmr2

Thanks for looking into it.

Based on the Evo, I don't think I would invest any money in this but I have heard it's a poor car and not representative. I'll make sure I'm there on Tuesdays for the time being to try the others.

TJP

Thanks for looking into it.

Based on the Evo, I don't think I would invest any money in this but I have heard it's a poor car and not representative. I'll make sure I'm there on Tuesdays for the time being to try the others.
Be on the lookout for the BMW Z4 GT3, Toyota Supra, Lancia Stratos and Dodge Viper on a Tuesday as all drive really well.

Three60

Was the full image posted, otherwise ignore

it was not, I was just about to post it :)

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/Пресса/first-replica-ferrari-gt-wheel-gaming-fans

Your patience is finally rewarded! Full pictures of the New Thrustmaster Wheel! As some of you have guessed, it is a new add-on: The Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On Ferrari 458 Challenge Edition, for the base of the T500RS and the Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500: It will be available in May at the suggested retail price 99.99 € / $129.99 More info here: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/Пресса/first-replica-ferrari-gt-wheel-gaming-fans — Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On Ferrari 458 Challenge Edition.

rDCjWtr.jpg

qQQ8OkC.jpg

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtybVOLUytY

Arucardo

Man the T500 is such a tempting buy but I keep hearing about these tiny issues with it like the cooling. If for some reason my Fanatec stops working I'll put it under some consideration though.

I wish that wheel was a little bigger.

1-D_FTW

I'm not really sure how big an issue the cooling really is. I had it really spaz out the one time time. In hindsight, there were minor issues before, but nothing hugely obvious.

Going through that GT thread, it seems like a lot of the complaints came from a couple posters. So it wasn't widespread among posters.

It should also be noted that somebody received a replacement fan and Thrustmaster instructed them to place it in a different location (a much more sensible location too). So if you get a later version, it very well may be mounted in that superior location.

I'm happy I made the mods I did for piece of mind. There are high quality parts in it and now I've got piece of mind it's not going to get taken down by faulty electronics frying.

That's one hilarous thread. I really wanted to post what a Forza modder said about the FM4 tyre model (as well as depth of the upgrade system) on the pCARS forum but it's not worth the time and effort. Forza and GT are both solid console sims and both fan bases should be happy to have what they've got thanks to MS and Sony respectively deep development pockets.

You love racing games, you love both. Great games with some obvious strengths and weakness. I agree with you in that thank God for Sony/Microsoft for keeping racing sims relevant. Without them they would have gone the route of the flight sim.

It's funny you should post this because I recently signed up to iRacing, a week before the last batch of updates. I became curious as I kept reading posts by two 'camps': those who think iRacing is shite and those who think it's the best PC sim. Strangely neither camp thought much of the Cadillac 8)

Oh yeah, everyone hates the Caddy! Under tired+weight+HP needs very good feel, and it just didn't have it. Hopefully it's reputation can be salvaged with some good word of mouth. Taking it off rookie, and pairing it with the Kia might give it some legitimacy too.

Now to be fair and honest I've only been a member for three weeks but I don't understand the hatred towards the sim. iRacing isn't the best sim - personally I don't believe there is such a sim - nor is it the worst. It does feature the best and most well organised mutliplayer system I've encountered and if you love stats, iRacing has you covered too. It's also decent to look at, physics feel believable (as in I'm yet to have a WTF moment) and the FFB is very good. I'm sure like all commerical sims there are aspects of iRacing that aren't perfect but as I'm not using McLaren's, Red Bull's or Ferrari's multi million dollar simulators, I'm very pleased what what is on offer.

All true. Glad you're liking it.

Good stuff - both dev teams should be very happy with what they've created however pCARS is the better looking sim.

design wise i think race rom is better looking, they've made neccessary graphic choices which enhance how the game looks to support gameplay (higher contrast enviroments for example). There's noticable pop-in on project cars, but over all texture detail seems higher in pcars, technically pcars is probably more demanding.

Korezo

Anyone have tried the Playseat evolution and the CSL Seat? I'm looking for a seat but have only tried the Playseat, I remember the Playseat had a problem where the pedal gets blocked with one of the bars which made pressing the gas/brakes/clutch annoying. The CSL doesn't seem to have that problem but looks like it will be difficult to put away unlike the Playseat because it doesn't look to fold or come apart for easy storage. Which of the 2 would you guys recommend?

Shaneus

We miss you! Come back!
Oh dear god no! I'm ashamed of my post count enough as it is without getting to a number closer to yours :p

PS. I must apologise, because I'm sure now that I've been mistaking both you and Metalmurphy... only in my head, but still, such a thing I think is deserved of an apology.

;)

Arucardo

Anyone have tried the Playseat evolution and the CSL Seat? I'm looking for a seat but have only tried the Playseat, I remember the Playseat had a problem where the pedal gets blocked with one of the bars which made pressing the gas/brakes/clutch annoying. The CSL doesn't seem to have that problem but looks like it will be difficult to put away unlike the Playseat because it doesn't look to fold or come apart for easy storage. Which of the 2 would you guys recommend?

To me a stand or a seat with the middle post isn't as bad as it looks. I can left foot brake and heel-toe just fine with it, but if you do have to choice to get something without one then by all means do that.

I definitely have my eye on the CSL and I'm just waiting for the moment I deem it a necessary purchase ;) .

saladine1

I have to say, RaceRoom has some terrific sounding vehicles. The gearbox whine, gearbox judder and the notes themselves are top notch.

Top Bottom