• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Zizbuka

Banned
I've been playing Dirt, about 25% through career mode. I'm using an X360 controller, and I suck at it. I tried playing with the settings, but I only made it worse. What's good dead zone, etc.?

Any easy way to determine which vehicles to buy? Higher torque = faster?

Shaneus

GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9

Greenmangaming 25% off code, valid until the 17th.

Why am I posting it? Because it works with MotoGP3. Which means you can get it for ~$20.

Which, of course means I'm tempted.

And it comes with the preorder DLC TJP linked to earlier.

HoosTrax

Plus the FFB sucks in those Shift games. So don't think lowly of your new G27 (when it arrives) based off those impressions.
Nah, after a few hours of playing around with the wheel (and after installing the PTM mod), Shift 2 actually plays surprisingly great. I wasn't all that impressed at first -- the FFB felt a little off when I was driving the Civic Si -- but the Evo X I bought later feels so good with the G27. The wheel acts and feels just like I would expect when I'm taking a hard turn.

Megasoum

Banned
Nah, after a few hours of playing around with the wheel (and after installing the PTM mod), Shift 2 actually plays surprisingly great. I wasn't all that impressed at first -- the FFB felt a little off when I was driving the Civic Si -- but the Evo X I bought later feels so good with the G27. The wheel acts and feels just like I would expect when I'm taking a hard turn.

Yep...I've been saying it for years, Shift 2 with PTM is fucking amazing. And, until pCARS comes out officialy, it's still the game with the best track selection BY FAR. Those night Nurburgring and Spa races, holy shit.

HoosTrax

Yep...I've been saying it for years, Shift 2 with PTM is fucking amazing. And, until pCARS comes out officialy, it's still the game with the best track selection BY FAR. Those night Nurburgring and Spa races, holy shit.
How's the modding community? I wouldn't mind downloading some additional user-made cars like a GT86/BRZ/FRS, or a Madzaspeed 3.

Edit: Ok, I'm an idiot. I finished all Modern D, apparently with no brakes. The game autodetected the wrong "button" for the brake pedals. No wonder I was having a hard time getting #1 on Riviera and Nurburgring. "Jeez these cars have a long braking distance..."

Megasoum

Banned
How's the modding community? I wouldn't mind downloading some additional user-made cars like a GT86/BRZ/FRS, or a Madzaspeed 3.

Hmm, that's a good question, I haven't played in years since EA locked me out of my account because the game is too stupid to let you change your password. I set up the game to remember my ea account credential but then I changed my password a couple of months later when Origin launched...now the game doesn't recognize the password anymore (which is normal) but it won't let me enter the new password... I would have to either start a whole new game from scratch or change back my password to the one Shift 2 remembers, disable auto-login and then change back my password. The problem is that I can't remember what password I was using back in the Shift 2 days so I'm fucked...

I have been doing the Skip Barber car at Road America for Season 2 2013 in iRacing. My god that car is a blast to drive. It must have been older builds that had problems with road racing physics because the feel of pushing that car to the edge is sublime. The races at Road America are fucking nuts too. The draft battles in the Skippy get crazy quick. I am happy to see myself as the lone D class driver in the top ten of most of my races. Just finished 2nd in a pretty strong strength of field.

This game is racing crack. You get your balls busted with each new car and track you learn, but the pay off is immense. I can't say it enough, the Skippy in iRacing is a perfect car to re hone or learn car control basics on. It has humbled my lack of smoothness on throttle and brake that most games are way too forgiving about. TTO and TBO are a bitch.

TJP

GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9

Greenmangaming 25% off code, valid until the 17th.

Why am I posting it? Because it works with MotoGP3. Which means you can get it for ~$20.

Which, of course means I'm tempted.

And it comes with the preorder DLC TJP linked to earlier.
Cheers Shaneus! I love the way GMG spell MotoGP as two seperate words 8) It's about time Milestone made all of their games available on Steam; I see this is a GMG 'capsule client' download and play game.

Shaneus

Yeah, that's what it looks like.

It's becoming less and less of a problem as my games library outside of Steam gets bigger, but I'd still really like to see as many companies as possible get Steam integration. Or even better (which would actually be *amazing*) is for Steam to somehow automatically monitor for game installs that aren't on Steam, and auto-add shortcuts for them in there.

TJP

A lack of Steam (or Origin) intergration means little to no DLC and difficulty in getting patches. This sucks because an easy to access hub is exactly what the consoles have in their favour and what makes Steam worthwhile. The price is good and I might just bite at just on $20 - I just hope GMG works for me this time around 8)

I have been doing the Skip Barber car at Road America for Season 2 2013 in iRacing. My god that car is a blast to drive. It must have been older builds that had problems with road racing physics because the feel of pushing that car to the edge is sublime. The races at Road America are fucking nuts too. The draft battles in the Skippy get crazy quick. I am happy to see myself as the lone D class driver in the top ten of most of my races. Just finished 2nd in a pretty strong strength of field.

This game is racing crack. You get your balls busted with each new car and track you learn, but the pay off is immense. I can't say it enough, the Skippy in iRacing is a perfect car to re hone or learn car control basics on. It has humbled my lack of smoothness on throttle and brake that most games are way too forgiving about. TTO and TBO are a bitch.

Yeah, I think a lot of people would say the Skip is the best road car in the service. I've been sort of jumping between a handful of cars, only buying tracks that are on the L49 schedule. I'd like to do more Skippy races, but there hasn't been a lot of crossover. I think Phillip Island in a few weeks is the first one on both schedules.

Zozobra

This is kinda of embarassing to ask, but are there any good videos or guides on proper shifting in a race, particularly F1? I'm still relatively new to the genre and it's challenging enough to drive without having to worry about good shifting.

Thanks!

Arucardo

This is kinda of embarassing to ask, but are there any good videos or guides on proper shifting in a race, particularly F1? I'm still relatively new to the genre and it's challenging enough to drive without having to worry about good shifting.

Thanks!

No harm in asking :)

The iRacing Racing School videos are really good and apply to most other sims too: http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV/videos?view=1&flow=grid , if you have the time there's a bunch of stuff you can learn from them including some shifting stuff.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant though, shifting as in just corner entry and exit or using the right gears in the right parts of the track in general?

This video in particular should answer some of your questions I hope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_e2Ztnuamg&list=PLqZLBOpI5JFKebBA_i-SCkGRRypXovWv6

Zozobra

No harm in asking :)

The iRacing Racing School videos are really good and apply to most other sims too: http://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV/videos?view=1&flow=grid , if you have the time there's a bunch of stuff you can learn from them including some shifting stuff.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant though, shifting as in just corner entry and exit or using the right gears in the right parts of the track in general?

This video in particular should answer some of your questions I hope: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_e2Ztnuamg&list=PLqZLBOpI5JFKebBA_i-SCkGRRypXovWv6

This was great, thank you!

HoosTrax

Little on the expensive side for what amounts to a glorified folding chair, but I kind of want one:

81qJ8HH849L._SL1500_.jpg

Plus it's the probably the only Playseat that is the proper height to be used with a desk-mounted monitor.

Actually, I wish there were non-swivel / non-rolling bucket-seat style office chairs available.

Actually, I wish there were non-swivel / non-rolling bucket-seat style office chairs available.

I want a mesh Aeron chair style fixed seat so bad. I hate having cushioning that doesn't breath. It is part if why makes the Aeron so comfortable, you don't get the heat build up after sitting for a long time. When mine finally breaks I might try to mod it into a racing seat.

Edit: how much is that new play seat? It isn't listed in their site.

Arucardo

I want a mesh Aeron chair style fixed seat so bad. I hate having cushioning that doesn't breath. It is part if why makes the Aeron so comfortable, you don't get the heat build up after sitting for a long time. When mine finally breaks I might try to mod it into a racing seat.

200 euros in the official store.

HoosTrax

It's $250 shipped from Amazon. Like I said, very expensive folding chair basically.

Edit: ok, well folding chair with built-in wheel stand to be precise (I am curious how you would put a shifter on that though)

Woah, that is way too damn expensive. I had to ship my CSL Seat back because it is too much of a permanent fixture for our house right now, but I figured a folding chair like this would be a perfect compromise that I can easily stash away. But fuck that. $150 for that tops.

Why don't you consider a Wheelstand Pro?

http://wheelstandpro.com/

Many my friends are using it and noone has a single complaint?

It really don't like the chair I have for racing. Although it would be an upgrade to detach my wheel from my desk so it doesn't shake my monitor when making fast steering inputs, the WSP is kind of a half step in fixing my situation more than the full step I want to take. We are looking to buy a house soon so I am hoping there will be space to have something like the CSL seat that won't cramp our style. The center pole I think would drive me crazy with going between left foot braking and heel toe. The CSL seat seemed like the perfect solution for me, I just need to wait until we buy a house I guess. Haha, damn real life priorities!

HoosTrax

I think the main point is that being that I game at a desk, I don't even really need a wheelstand, since clipping the wheel to the desk works fine. It's the "chair" part that is the issue. Need something with the appropriate back support and angle, and that doesn't slide/roll/swivel around.

Unrelated, but any tips on driving RWD cars? This is pretty good representation of me trying to drive RWD. If I have to drive anything besides a FWD car or a Evo/Subie/GTR, it usually ends badly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

That new play seat looks about as compact as the wheel stand pro when folds and if it offers a decent seating position could be relatively affordable compared to buying a WSP and another chair. I have a WSP but a swivel chair so not ideal - end up using a dining chair which is too upright

Shaneus

I can't remember what the stand was that I have... it's the Fanatec one, not that one that's just been posted. Maybe it is, I dunno.

paskowitz

Just tried iRacing after about 1 year. IMO is has gone from driving on ice to driving on a cold damp day. Circuit race cars are actually catchable (as oppose to basically stupid to drive) but they still are overly twitchy. Throttle off oversteer is ok. You can catch it with progressive countersteer. That being said, there is still crazy twitch oversteer if you hit any bump or drop a wheel or brake in anyway that upsets the car. These instances are almost never catchable. If you counter then have to recountersteer, you might as well forget it.

It still has the best track models out of any sim and the sounds are now really good. I still find the FFB combined with the physics to be numb.

Download the demo and try it for yourself: http://www.gameformulatruck.com/en/downloads/

It's a Reiza made sim and if you've played Game Stock Car, you'll know this means sublime physics and FFB, great sounds and the best looking gMotor2 game currently available.

Cool thanks, will give it a shot tonight.

It still has the best track models out of any sim and the sounds are now really good. I still find the FFB combined with the physics to be numb.

What wheel and settings are you using? A build or two ago the long standing recommended settings in the controller profile and in game changed for most wheels FFB. Used to be recommended to have the dampening cranked up but now it says to use zero. You get more wheel weight with dampening but it becomes more "numb."

1-D_FTW

They used to recommend damping be cranked up? I though every game wanted that toned way down unless it was arcadish. Never even thought to change that with my numerous attempts at the game. (Talking about control panel.)

On non-iracing matters, I've finally begun to use my Thrustmaster shifter. I still have moments where it's costing me, but it's so much more fun. And even downshifting on the final straight at 67 Spa (rf2), is so much smoother for me now. I always had trouble getting a solid brake there.

Also ordered some skateboard bushings for my T500. Seems a lot of people rave about this as a brake mod. And it's a lot cheaper than a cell load mod (and is accomplishing the same thing... one's just an analog solution vs digital). Should be interesting, but based off the GTEYE mod for the G27, I have high expectations for this.

paskowitz

Cool thanks, will give it a shot tonight.

What wheel and settings are you using? A build or two ago the long standing recommended settings in the controller profile and in game changed for most wheels FFB. Used to be recommended to have the dampening cranked up but now it says to use zero. You get more wheel weight with dampening but it becomes more "numb."

CSW.

I always run no dampening, always. Force is around 18-20. Basically, I still find it hard to feel what the car is doing.

They used to recommend damping be cranked up? I though every game wanted that toned way down unless it was arcadish. Never even thought to change that with my numerous attempts at the game. (Talking about control panel.)

On non-iracing matters, I've finally begun to use my Thrustmaster shifter. I still have moments where it's costing me, but it's so much more fun. And even downshifting on the final straight at 67 Spa (rf2), is so much smoother for me now. I always had trouble getting a solid brake there.

Also ordered some skateboard bushings for my T500. Seems a lot of people rave about this as a brake mod. And it's a lot cheaper than a cell load mod (and is accomplishing the same thing... one's just an analog solution vs digital). Should be interesting, but based off the GTEYE mod for the G27, I have high expectations for this.

The ongoing FFB thread has some older entires you can see where higher dampening in game was recommended. There is never an "official" word from iracing, just forum member conclusions. Other little shit I remember with Logitech wheels all the way back to GPL days of setting things at 107% in controller settings etc but now I guess 100% is fine.

CSW.

I always run no dampening, always. Force is around 18-20. Basically, I still find it hard to feel what the car is doing.

FFB in the majority of PC games drives me crazy because there are always two layers of tweaking. Setting the universal windows FFB settings and then in game settings. Most games then even have hidden FFB settings in config files. I have give up trying to tweak the perfect FFB profile years ago. I just set whatever the community says is right and leave it no matter how it feels. Sometimes no tweaking is a god send. Love just getting the good FFB feel in GT5 without touching shit.

Snap oversteer haunts me in iRacing but for a car like the Skippy, finding my own setup to suit my style dramatically changed it. Not sure about most the other cars. Caddy still sucks monster balls IMO. It is better in this build but still awful.

Anyone here play Formula Truck? Is it any good? Whipping those trucks around the Ring looks too damn fun. Tempted to buy it.

Formula Truck is a riot. Buy.

Unfortunately both the GP circuit and Nordschleife have really difficult first corners that are proving to be to much for the AI. It's just a crash fest. Hopefully they can fix that up. Once it gets strung out it's better though.

TJP

FFB in the majority of PC games drives me crazy because there are always two layers of tweaking. Setting the universal windows FFB settings and then in game settings. Most games then even have hidden FFB settings in config files. I have give up trying to tweak the perfect FFB profile years ago. I just set whatever the community says is right and leave it no matter how it feels.
This comment is so spot on. I wish people knew how hard it is to get a developer to share what they feel is correct wheel settings. Kunos posted their suggested wheel settings on the AC tech preview forum and it made a world of difference yet many devs do not bother; they leave that up to the 'community' to sort out.

1-D_FTW

This comment is so spot on. I wish people knew how hard it is to get a developer to share what they feel is correct wheel settings. Kunos posted their suggested wheel settings on the AC tech preview forum and it made a world of difference yet many devs do not bother; they leave that up to the 'community' to sort out.

Although to be fair, they didn't have a T500 and just relied on the community feedback like we usually do.

The thing is, I always search forums for the consensus on wheel settings (since I got burned early on with my G27 being set up really stupidly and learned my lessons). But I never looked for iracing, because a Damper of 0 is so the normal, I would have never in a million years expected a hardcore sim to have such odd wants.

Although to be fair, they didn't have a T500 and just relied on the community feedback like we usually do.

The thing is, I always search forums for the consensus on wheel settings (since I got burned early on with my G27 being set up really stupidly and learned my lessons). But I never looked for iracing, because a Damper of 0 is so the normal, I would have never in a million years expected a hardcore sim to have such odd wants.

Just pulled up the forum page I was referencing.
damping in sim said:
From 0 to 20% (you can start at 75%, since it was the value hard coded before the release, and go down 5% by 5% day after day, since damping masks FFB details).
It is recommended to set it at 0.
Ok, that is what it was. Apparently during some build the damper was "hard coded" higher. No clue what that means, I never played that build. 0 for me is fine. 5% can feel ok with oval racing to give the wheel some more weight but I don't feel like I am missing that much. Right now the recommended windows FFB settings for iRacing are similar or identical to what other games recommend in their forums. The only thing that is beyond me giving a fuck is getting the exact right FFB strength setting in game because it depends on your wheel and it varies car to car. I just have it slightly lower for oval racing and higher for most road cars. Seems to work. I use a G27 and when the FFB is set really high I get too much jerky twitch FFB inputs and it begins to ruin the experience for me. I do like that the FFB setting in iRacing can be changed while driving the car. That makes it way easier to find the right feel for you. I fucking hate tweaking wheel settings though, it can put me off a game all together. Just have a built in profile for the most popular FFB wheels! There are not that many of them these days.

The other FFB settings from that post.

windows settings said:
For Logitech driver.

Overall Effects Strength : 100%. (Used to be 106%)
Spring Effect Strength : 0%.
Damper Effect Strength : 100%.
Centering Spring : unchecked.
Report Combined Pedals : unchecked.
Rotation : 900°.
Allow Game To Adjust : checked.

For Fanatec driver.

Autocenter Spring : unchecked.
Wheel Angle : 900°.
Dampening Strength : 100%.
Combined Pedals : unchecked.

In the wheel tuning menu.
SEN : OFF.
FF : 100.
Sho : 100.
dri : OFF or 1.
Everything else : 0 or OFF.

FFB in sim said:
The value needs not to go up a maximal value that you can find using this method following :
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1488137.page
So you can adjust the slider between 0 and this found maximal value in order to match the different torques from the different wheels.
This maximal value is not dependent on the wheel ! It's dependent on the car, the setup and the track.
Yeah, screw that. Just setting it where it doesn't feel too vague and light and not like it is going to make me sore the next day.

iRacing FFB seems to be very functional, I do get what the game is trying to communicate to me, especially after playing it for the last three months a bunch. But their FFB lacks "detail." For me the best "tweak" is to just play one game a lot. The FFB begins to feel better for me, not matter how shitty or amazingly detailed. I just slowly adapt to how to translate their "FFB language." Ha, speak of the devil, just saw a post on ETS2's Facebook that Logitech just sent them a bunch of gear and they are going to be getting the developer SDKs to help better program for their hardware.

1-D_FTW

Just pulled up the forum page I was referencing.

Ok, that is what it was. Apparently during some build the damper was "hard coded" higher. No clue what that means, I never played that build. 0 for me is fine. 5% can feel ok with oval racing to give the wheel some more weight but I don't feel like I am missing that much. Right now the recommended windows FFB settings for iRacing are similar or identical to what other games recommend in their forums. The only thing that is beyond me giving a fuck is getting the exact right FFB strength setting in game because it depends on your wheel and it varies car to car. I just have it slightly lower for oval racing and higher for most road cars. Seems to work. I use a G27 and when the FFB is set really high I get too much jerky twitch FFB inputs and it begins to ruin the experience for me. I do like that the FFB setting in iRacing can be changed while driving the car. That makes it way easier to find the right feel for you. I fucking hate tweaking wheel settings though, it can put me off a game all together. Just have a built in profile for the most popular FFB wheels! There are not that many of them these days.

The other FFB settings from that post.

Ah, I wasn't questioning you. I was just saying let's not give Kunos too much credit on the issue because they relied on community feedback to give recommended T500 settings. I really hope they pick up a T500 before release, but considering all the Fanatec banners that litter every track, I'm not optimistic.

It's good info, though.

Ah, I wasn't questioning you. I was just saying let's not give Kunos too much credit on the issue because they relied on community feedback to give recommended T500 settings. I really hope they pick up a T500 before release, but considering all the Fanatec banners that litter every track, I'm not optimistic.

It's good info, though.

No worries, that is not how I took it. I was just checking back on the post more for my own curiosity and figured I would share it since I brought it up. It was a few months ago when I last touched any of the settings.

My favorite thing since getting back into PC sim racing this past year was discovering the "sock mod" for the G27 brake pedal. Back in the day I did the squash ball mod for my red momo wheel and it completely changed how I could play GPL. The sock mod was equally as revelatory for iRacing. Threshold braking ftw.

1-D_FTW

No worries, that is not how I took it. I was just checking back on the post more for my own curiosity and figured I would share it since I brought it up. It was a few months ago when I last touched any of the settings.

My favorite thing since getting back into PC sim racing this past year was discovering the "sock mod" for the G27 brake pedal. Back in the day I did the squash ball mod for my red momo wheel and it completely changed how I could play GPL. The sock mod was equally as revelatory for iRacing. Threshold braking ftw.

Yeah. It essentially is doing exactly what a load cell is doing. I had a GTEYE spring for my G27 and thought it was fantastic. Sounds like you're accomplishing the same thing with this.

This is why I ordered the skateboard bushings for my T500 this weekend. The T500 comes with an optional "realistic brake mod", but this will work a whole lot better. Nothing beats a ghetto mod that accomplishes the same thing as a load cell (for a fraction of the cost and which isn't prone to failure).

The gist behind running 100% damping in the driver is that it becomes the max in-game value. It'll be 1-1. If you use 0% in the driver, it doesn't matter what you set it at in-game, it will always be 0. If you never use any damping then it doesn't really matter (I don't).

The in-game "Min. Force" setting is the new hotness, and that should help with your jerkiness, and paskowitz's numbness. To a degree obviously. It's no silver bullet.

Thread

I hate screwing with ffb settings too. I honestly don't understand why the expectation is that out-of-the-box settings have to be junk. We'll give you some sliders, go figure it out on your own.

1-D_FTW

That skateboard mod is slick. Kicking myself for ignoring it for months.

Picked up a pair of 65a bushings for 9.07 (with shipping) from riptide. Based on my short impressions, I can see where some people might like it even stronger. And even more would like it softer. But I have both in there and I think it's pretty good. If I had to rechoose, I'd possibly have gone with 2X 62.5a, but it's pretty sweet nonetheless. I think I was initially turned off by the mod because they called it "Even stiffer brake mod". But those bushings are so squishy, it's like they were designed for this very purpose.

Addnan

Which of these games can be played with an xbox controller without too much issue?
Can't really justify a wheel purchase right now :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The ongoing FFB thread has some older entires you can see where higher dampening in game was recommended. There is never an "official" word from iracing, just forum member conclusions. Other little shit I remember with Logitech wheels all the way back to GPL days of setting things at 107% in controller settings etc but now I guess 100% is fine.

FFB in the majority of PC games drives me crazy because there are always two layers of tweaking. Setting the universal windows FFB settings and then in game settings. Most games then even have hidden FFB settings in config files. I have give up trying to tweak the perfect FFB profile years ago. I just set whatever the community says is right and leave it no matter how it feels. Sometimes no tweaking is a god send. Love just getting the good FFB feel in GT5 without touching shit.

Snap oversteer haunts me in iRacing but for a car like the Skippy, finding my own setup to suit my style dramatically changed it. Not sure about most the other cars. Caddy still sucks monster balls IMO. It is better in this build but still awful.

FFB confuses the hell out of me on PC for the same reason - separately tweaking two layers of settings.

And considering there aren't that many different types of wheel, you'd think eg logitech G25/27/DFGT would have good FFB settings set from within the game. I don't know why such an important aspect seemingly gets left to people to work out and then communicate via forums etc.

Top Bottom