• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

amar212

I absolutely loved Toca Race Driver 3 back in the day, and Grid 2 is what became of the series.

So sad.

All of us share the same feeling.

But this guy made the moves:

GavinRaeburn.jpg

Today we have GRID and DIRT.

And he produces Horizon.

Both GRID and DIRT never caught on numbers TOCA and CMR were selling. Horizon never caught the numbers of Forza.

Interesting world we live in.

DD

All of us share the same feeling.

But this guy made the moves:

GavinRaeburn.jpg

Today we have GRID and DIRT.

And he produces Horizon.

Both GRID and DIRT never caught on numbers TOCA and CMR were selling. Horizon never caught the numbers of Forza.

Interesting world we live in.

I want to punch him in the face so badly. =c

Shaneus

Impressions. Not giving them 50 dollars to get PO'd at my purchase. Just between watching videos and impressions. Someone who bought it said it'd gotten the Dirt Showdown'd treatment. That's also the impression the videos gave me. And saying something had been Showdown'd is the worst insult you can give a racing game IMO. So I don't think I'll touch it even at 5.00 dollars. I wish I could give back Showdown and I got that code for free.
Man, now I feel like an idiot for even remotely considering getting Showdown for ~$5. Thanks.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, now I feel like an idiot for even remotely considering getting Showdown for ~$5. Thanks.

If you don't think of Dirt Showdown as a Dirt game and instead think of it as a complete arcade game, it's amazing. I went into it thinking of it as a spiritual successor to Destruction Derby 64 (one of my favorite N64 games) and I thought it was incredible fun. I think everyone wanted it to be Dirt 4 and was severely disappointed. But for me, personally, it was the most fun I had gaming last year.

Angst

It's possible to replace it? Cool, didn't know that. I thought they were stuck in there.

Not sure about that, but going by mine and many others experience with Logitech's customer service, it can't hurt to talk to them. Maybe they'll replace it, give you a discount on a new wheel or something like that.

Holy cow you're AWESOME!

Just signed for 3 months at $0 instead of $30 o_O

Thank you man, can't wait to try it this weekend with my good old G27

Nice. Have fun, and come back when you've got questions, and you will have questions. The iRacing forum is also quite good, so check that out too.

A few tips:

- Start by doing test sessions by yourself to get familiarized with the track/car. Get the lap times down, get comfortable over a race distance. There are no penalties in this mode, but it does tell you where you'd be penalised if it were a real session.

- Do an open practice session next to get used to being around other drivers. There are penalties in these sessions, so here is the start of where you should be confident you can drive without spinning off.

- Be sure to qualify for your races. Even if you're the slowest guy out there, you'll benefit from starting at the front since most people don't bother with qualifying. You'll reduce your chances of being taken out, and obviously improve your finishing order chances. You can also start from the pitlane by not clicking "join" button after warmup. Not a bad option for your first race.

- The "cycle delta display", and the "relative black box" are must haves for your HUD. Map them to something convenient like a wheel button. The delta gives you important info on your lap times. The relative box (to your competitors) shows you if you're catching or being caught, but also helps with safely entering the track (from the pits or off road). Helps with lapping/being lapped as well.

- Being clean should be the goal. You're rewarded with early graduation to the next class by getting your safety rating up to 3.0 (and doing the required number of races).

Nice. Have fun, and come back when you've got questions, and you will have questions. The iRacing forum is also quite good, so check that out too.

A few tips:

- Start by doing test sessions by yourself to get familiarized with the track/car. Get the lap times down, get comfortable over a race distance. There are no penalties in this mode, but it does tell you where you'd be penalised if it were a real session.

- Do an open practice session next to get used to being around other drivers. There are penalties in these sessions, so here is the start of where you should be confident you can drive without spinning off.

- Be sure to qualify for your races. Even if you're the slowest guy out there, you'll benefit from starting at the front since most people don't bother with qualifying. You'll reduce your chances of being taken out. You can also start from the pitlane by not clicking "join" button after warmup. Not a bad option for your first race.

- The "cycle delta display", and the "relative black box" are must haves. The delta gives you important info on your lap times. The relative time (to your competitors) shows you if you're catching or being caught, but also helps with safely entering the track (from the pits or off road). Helps with lapping/being lapped as well.

- Being clean should be the goal. You're rewarded with early graduation to the next class by getting your safety rating up to 3.0 (and doing the required number of races).

You will see what the deductions are in open practice but your Safety Rating and iRating scores will not be effected. TT, Qualy and Races are the only places SR and iR points are effected as far as I know. I have never lost or gained points in practice sessions.

Edit: yeah just double checked,
3.5.1.The iRacing.com software monitors all official on-track sessions (not including
Testing and practice session) and any incidents that occur therein. Each incident
type is given a certain value and the software automatically tallies each driver’s
incidents for each session.

A practice session is a great place to behave like everything counts around other drivers. It will make it that much easier when you are in qualy and racing so you don't drive recklessly. But you won't hurt your ratings at all in practice.

Addnan

Anyone play with a cheap-ish wheel? Anything under £100 that you guys can recommend?

The Logitech Driving force GT seems to be within that, anything a little cheaper?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Anyone play with a cheap-ish wheel? Anything under £100 that you guys can recommend?

The Logitech Driving force GT seems to be within that, anything a little cheaper?

You could go for a used or refurbished DFGT. Those seem to go for around $70. I got really lucky and asked if anyone in the B/S/T thread wanted to sell a DFGT and he offered to sell me it for $50. I was very pleased about that.

Addnan

You could go for a used or refurbished DFGT. Those seem to go for around $70. I got really lucky and asked if anyone in the B/S/T thread wanted to sell a DFGT and he offered to sell me it for $50. I was very pleased about that.

Wow, that's a great price. Checking out ebay, always kinda scared to buy used things from there. Don't think I will get much luck in the B/S/T thread since most physical sales are US only.

Addnan

I am pretty much about to go and buy the DFGT tomorrow. Does this work with Project Cars. Don't want to buy another one when that comes out.

Zozobra

Can anyone suggest some good wheel settings for my G25 while playing F12012? Maybe I just really suck at the game, but it always feels like I have crazy understeer or something and I'm not sure if that can be attributed to my car's settings.

Watevaman

Excellent. Thank you very much.

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow now :D. Haven't used a steering wheel in a game since PS2..

You might get frustrated at first (I know I was with my DFGT) but know that in the end it gets better.

And on that note, if only I could find a better deal on a G27 atm. If I could I'd sell you my DFGT, but alas they're all a bit too pricey.

1-D_FTW

Can anyone suggest some good wheel settings for my G25 while playing F12012? Maybe I just really suck at the game, but it always feels like I have crazy understeer or something and I'm not sure if that can be attributed to my car's settings.

I needed a break from the relentlessly unforgiving sims and have been playing some codemaster games the past couple days. I was just playing some F1 2011. It's not 2012 and it's a T500 instead of G25, but I had to go in and adjust the defaults. Think I turned my steering sensitivity up to 20 (in game setting). It was pretty terrible on 0.

Addnan

You might get frustrated at first (I know I was with my DFGT) but know that in the end it gets better.

And on that note, if only I could find a better deal on a G27 atm. If I could I'd sell you my DFGT, but alas they're all a bit too pricey.
Yeah, was looking at G27 and even G25 prices are incredible. £300 for the G27 is a bit too pricey.

and regarding F1 2012, doesn't that game have pretty bad wheel support. Understeer is just part of the game :/

Shaneus

You know who else really sucked at that game?

Codemasters.

Addnan

Got the DFGT, very fun to use. Kinda hard, but that was expected. Best I could manage around Barcelona in F1 2011 is 1:23. It's going lower. Gonna have to buy some of the sims in the OP.

Probably not the best idea to dive straight into the fastest cars on the planet if you've never used a wheel before!

You should try slower cars in Gran Turismo or something to get used to how the wheel reacts to weight transfer, grip loss, etc.

Addnan

That's probably a good idea, I ordered GT5 to get to know the wheel a little better.

I did continue playing F12011 and have got the hang of it, got a 1:12 in Montreal with ABS & traction off and after completing 50laps on it my arm started hurting. Don't think that is supposed to happen.

Tried some of the games from the OP. iracing was pretty decent might buy that soon. I want to buy rfactor, but damn I haven't paid that much for a PC game in a long time.

Angst

That's probably a good idea, I ordered GT5 to get to know the wheel a little better.

I did continue playing F12011 and have got the hang of it, got a 1:12 in Montreal with ABS & traction off and after completing 50laps on it my arm started hurting. Don't think that is supposed to happen.

Tried some of the games from the OP. iracing was pretty decent might buy that soon. I want to buy rfactor, but damn I haven't paid that much for a PC game in a long time.

It does happen. You wrestled with the force feedback for ~1 hour and you're probably using your muscles in ways you're not used to. You could try dialing the FFB down a bit if you get too tired.

Arucardo

Game Stock Car wouldn't be a bad idea actually. I'd almost go as far as to say it's better to get GSC before considering rFactor.

EDIT: It also has a 24h (or 48h, I forget which) trial so be sure to check it out.

Addnan

Game Stock Car wouldn't be a bad idea actually. I'd almost go as far as to say it's better to get GSC before considering rFactor.

EDIT: It also has a 24h (or 48h, I forget which) trial so be sure to check it out.

Tried getting that, all the links on their website seem to be dead since last night.

TJP

Game Stock Car is worth the download however and is good for 30 days. Get it from here: http://docs.xtremerpm.org/Sims/GameStockCar/gsc2012_demo_setup.exe (this link is from the official GSC website).

RaceDepartment is the official forum for GSC and the developer posted details about the demo here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/game-stock-car-2012-demo-released.56199/

"We are glad to release a brand new meaty DEMO version of Game Stock Car 2012!

This free Demo offers 30 days of unlimited gameplay. If you are yet to try the full Game or did not get enough from the 60 minute trial available with the full version, the Demo allows for a proper go at most of the cars available in the full Game plus two tracks, featuring a total of 5 different layouts.

CONTENT

The demo packs 4 different series, with 4 different cars each:

Stock Car V8
Mini Challenge
Camaro SS
Formula 3

And the following tracks:
Jacarepagua (Stock Car, Curva Sul, Oval and 2005 layouts)
Tarumã

This Demo does NOT include multiplayer support
."

Edit: people posting on Race Department that the demo and fill game links are currently dead.

Arucardo

Woah, that looks really good. Think I will buy it once their site is working properly.

Worth every penny in my opinion. All the Reiza cars are ridiculously good, the "classic" formula is probably my favorite of the bunch.

There's tons of tracks too for GSC if you google a bit (don't want to link a certain site since some of the conversions are a little dubious about having permission to do the conversion)

TJP

Most of the extra tracks are ripped from SimBin games and may have varying degrees of grip based on what I've read on the internet 8)

Addnan

In the middle of all the E3 madness almost forgot about GSC. Tried the demo, a lot of fun. The DRM though just pissed me off, can't support that. 3 times activation limit. Then I have to contact support and explain to them why I need to again. Yeah, no.

TJP

In the middle of all the E3 madness almost forgot about GSC. Tried the demo, a lot of fun. The DRM though just pissed me off, can't support that. 3 times activation limit. Then I have to contact support and explain to them why I need to again. Yeah, no.
An e-mail to Reiza is all that is needed to obtain another licence key. Quite a few people on RaceDepartment have had to ask for another licence key, I cannot recall a single customer ever reporting an issue other than a time lag between requesting and receiving their new key.

TJP

Edit: Wait, that's to *change* your order. Bugger. Lemme know if it's worth it! Being on Steam sweetens the deal quite a bit, I think.
I gave the PC demo a spin tonight and I like what I played. The demo is limited to a 3 lap race around Catalunya GP circuit using either Rossi/Yamaha or Marquez/Honda. Strange that a 1.55 GB download is so limited... The presentation values hark back to the SBK 2001 with a city video and track details highlighting passing opportunities, number of corners and longest straight etc as the official MotoGP music blares away. Thankfully Nick 'absolutely flying' Harris is nowhere to be heard although I'm grateful commentary finally makes a return to a Milestone sim 12 years later.

MotoGP '13 looks solid but unspectacular (pCARS it ain't) and the sound is good but not Nick Wiswell* brilliant. Physics are of SBK '09 standard; that is to say absolutely fine for anyone outside of the 'hardcore' player - those wanting GP 500/GP Bikes physics may as well stick with those games as a quick check of the Piboso forums confirm 8) Replays look fine and the weather effects look good with puddles and reflections off the tarmac. Crowds look like 2D cardboard cutouts but the other trackside details are fine. I do hope Milestone add an Xbox controller scheme to the final game because the demo version doesn't have any visual representation of the controller and its buttons at all!

My initial race was in the rain as I had chosen random weather with both player and AI controlled bikes able to suffer mechanical gremlins (this is a settings option). Strangely only 7 riders finished the race with 8th to 24th being classified as NC! I managed to get into first place by the end of lap 1 after missing the start completely. I think the AI is set to easy in the demo; I might have to recheck to see if I can change it to a higher setting.

Overall I'm happy to have MotoGP 13 on pre-order. It's not going to revolutionise two wheel sims but it's a Milestone made sim which means a solid experience. Those seeking a full-strength hardcore bike sim should stick with (or at least try) GP-Bikes as it costs the same as MotoGP '13.

*A PGR reference for Shaneus.

Shaneus

Ah, so the demo's up? I swear I checked only a few hours ago and it wasn't... on Steam, at least. But After watching the VVV video on it, I'm really struggling to hold back on buying the damn thing sight unseen. Milestone seem to have REALLY stepped it up, even since WRC3.

Edit: Man, that is WEIRD. I know I saw MotoGP '13 up for pre-sale on Steam just this evening, but the only MotoGP thing up there now is a trailer for '08. What the hell?!?

TJP

MotoGP demo was a stand alone download; I didn't obtain it through Steam, I got it from games.on.net

Watevaman

Tried the MotoGP 13 demo and while I enjoyed it (especially like the helmet cam, more games need this), I don't think I'll buy it anywhere near asking price, if at all. It's the exact same issue I brought up earlier in this thread, where I play for a little and then it seems like I completely lose focus. It doesn't help that I really don't like the way bikes control with a controller.

Shaneus

I enjoyed it too, but I honestly can't see myself getting the satisfaction out of it that would justify anything over $10-15. Cycle mechanics are a lot different to driving mechanics, and whilst fun, I think there's more gratification to be found elsewhere for me.

But having said that, Milestone have clearly stepped up their game. It looks great, sounds just fine (I guess) and the frontend is surprisingly polished. Hopefully we'll see this kind of treatment with their next WRC game (whenever that may be). Hope they still have the license for it.

Top Bottom