• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Great work Takeover! Make us proud :)

As long as your truck spinning .gif is in it, I don't care.

I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as they're relatively high quality.

Deal :)

That is great but will iRacing actually use Steam in place of their current web browser system though? I presumed the iRacing green light idea was a marketing ploy as the campaign kicked off not long after (or pehaps it was just prior to) Kunos applying for Assetto Corsa to be green lit.

AC? Nah, it might as well be Total War. Unless someone tries to do exactly what they're doing, their needle doesn't even move. Fans may draw a parallel, but I honestly think they don't even pay attention. I'm sure the Greenlight timing was just a coincidence.

TJP

AC? Nah, it might as well be Total War. Unless someone tries to do exactly what they're doing, their needle doesn't even move. Fans may draw a parallel, but I honestly think they don't even pay attention. I'm sure the Greenlight timing was just a coincidence.
The timing probably was a coincidence and nothing more. That said, I'm always very happy to see more racing sims appear on Steam. Reiza need to get their titles green lit too so more people can sample the GSC goodness.

Shaneus

The timing probably was a coincidence and nothing more. That said, I'm always very happy to see more racing sims appear on Steam. Reiza need to get their titles green lit too so more people can sample the GSC goodness.
Oh god, that would be epic. I wonder if it's ever been suggested?

My tip: The first title they'll attempt to do that with is the Senna game. Guesses that'll be the first title to use the most recent isiMotor engine? Anyway, I reckon that with the name recognition, they open with that then soft launch their back catalog onto it later on.

My father has been playing Race07 on an old decrepit laptop for the past few years. So old was this laptop that in order to get a stable 20-25fps, only the lowest possible graphical settings could be used @ 800x600 with 6 on track.

Feeling rather sorry for him, I did what any good son would do and built a gaming rig. He's just spent the last 48 hours immersed in the world of rFactor 2 and RRE. For the first time, he's experienced 1080p, 60fps, vsync, anti aliasing, HDR lighting, reflections, occlusion, AA, detailed shadows, high res textures and a field of 30 cars! All but a couple of options were on the highest possible settings.

Just now, a call came from him, thanking me for such a wonderful gift and making a particular point to compliment the physics of rFactor2 and the pleasure he had from driving the Lola 280.

I asked him: "What did you think of the graphics?"
He responded: "What do you mean?"
Me: "The graphics? The lighting, the framerate, the resolution, the immersion and everything surpass anything you've ever seen on your laptop."
Him: "Oh, really? I hadn't noticed."

Rather thrown by his comment, I told him to boot up Race07 on his old machine and take another look. He said "Ah, actually I think Race07 looks better."

I've decided that his next present will be a pair of glasses.

TJP

Oh god, that would be epic. I wonder if it's ever been suggested?

My tip: The first title they'll attempt to do that with is the Senna game. Guesses that'll be the first title to use the most recent isiMotor engine? Anyway, I reckon that with the name recognition, they open with that then soft launch their back catalog onto it later on.
Isn't the Senna game stymied by legal issues? At least that's what I'd read hence no news on it in quite some time. Sad really as Reiza would do an outstanding job with a sim around Senna's life in motorsport. It also helps that GSC already covers most of what Senna drove 8)

Feeling rather sorry for him, I did what any good son would do and built a gaming rig. He's just spent the last 48 hours immersed in the world of rFactor 2 and RRE. For the first time, he's experienced 1080p, 60fps, vsync, anti aliasing, HDR lighting, reflections, occlusion, AA, detailed shadows, high res textures and a field of 30 cars! All but a couple of options were on the highest possible settings.
A great story. I did laugh at the Race 07 looks better - I'm sure the art/graphics guys at SimBin wouldn't be as amused as I was. rF2 needs a shedload more optimsation so to get a solid 60fps with a 30 car grid means you are running a very decent PC setup.

Next step for your Dad is to download the DTM alpha demo and get him to experience the very grippy German touring cars (as they are in real life too) and perhaps netKar Pro and/or FVA for some hotlapping and Game Stock Car or Formula Trucks for THE best isiMotor2 based sims ever made.

Oh man, ha! Love it, Marvel.

Meanwhile here on planet GAF, "that one Titan isn't really cutting it any more. I've got to have a second one."

I laughed at Race07 looks better too. rF2 can look sinfully ugly at times, and occasionally leaves me wondering if I'm actually sitting at an old decrepit laptop ;-)

That was awfully kind of you. I'm glad he's enjoying himself.

Shaneus

My father has been playing Race07 on an old decrepit laptop for the past few years. So old was this laptop that in order to get a stable 20-25fps, only the lowest possible graphical settings could be used @ 800x600 with 6 on track.

Just now, a call came from him, thanking me for such a wonderful gift and making a particular point to compliment the physics of rFactor2 and the pleasure he had from driving the Lola 280.

Me: "The graphics? The lighting, the framerate, the resolution, the immersion and everything surpass anything you've ever seen on your laptop."

Rather thrown by his comment, I told him to boot up Race07 on his old machine and take another look. He said "Ah, actually I think Race07 looks better."

Fantastic story! But it just goes to show, that even with casual sim racers (as opposed to casual gamers) it really is about how the game feels and not how it looks. Guarantee that to him, something like GSC (with a mod or two) or Power & Glory would be heaven.

You've done a good thing for your old man!

Does he have a wheel?

A great story. I did laugh at the Race 07 looks better - I'm sure the art/graphics guys at SimBin wouldn't be as amused as I was. rF2 needs a shedload more optimsation so to get a solid 60fps with a 30 car grid means you are running a very decent PC setup.
Those 7990s don't come cheap. If he can't tell the difference, I should swap it for the spare 6950 I have lying around lol

Next step for your Dad is to download the DTM alpha demo and get him to experience the very grippy German touring cars (as they are in real life too) and perhaps netKar Pro and/or FVA for some hotlapping and Game Stock Car or Formula Trucks for THE best isiMotor2 based sims ever made.
He'll be downloading everything. Good old dad.

I laughed at Race07 looks better too. rF2 can look sinfully ugly at times, and occasionally leaves me wondering if I'm actually sitting at an old decrepit laptop ;-)
I wonder if there's some Emperor's New Clothes factoring in here? Do we perceive new technologies to be better simply because? Looking at Race07 again, I can sort of see his point. There's almost clinical coherence to the visuals and probably give him clearer information to judge braking distances, turn in points and all.

If only he (or I) could get pCars installed. He'd soon change his mind then!

Edit:

You've done a good thing for your old man!

Does he have a wheel?
He does now (DGFT) but when I first installed Race07, he was playing with keys lol.

TJP

Those 7990s don't come cheap. If he can't tell the difference, I should swap it for the spare 6950 I have lying around lol

7990's? No wonder rF2 holds 60fps with a 30 car grid. I thought I was doing well maintaining 60fps with a 20 car grid in a monsoon at Silverstone using an EVGA GTX 680. Downloading everything is a great idea; that's what most of us do (or did). Try the Assetto Corsa Tech Preview too!

I wonder if there's some Emperor's New Clothes factoring in here? Do we perceive new technologies to be better simply because? Looking at Race07 again, I can sort of see his point. There's almost clinical coherence to the visuals and probably give him clearer information to judge braking distances, turn in points and all.
After spending a lot of time in RaceRoom, it pains me to go back to Race '07 - the physics and FFB are great but the visuals are now average at best. If you Dad loves Race 07, he'll find a wild mistress in Game Stock Car.

On the visuals yes but on the physics it would be a no unless using specific car and tyre combos. Being a WIP means sometimes CARS is great and other times it's awful so you're not missing that much* 8)

(*but I'm glad I'm a member).

It is interesting, isn't it? I'm sure it's several different factors. Perhaps the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. Perhaps it's diminishing returns. Perhaps he does need glasses! Hard to say.

Despite everything you read, I do wonder if looking past the graphics may be somewhat intrinsic to racing games as well (not that you'd ever know that if you jumped into a GT or Forza thread!). It's such a mechanical genre. So much of your focus is concentrated on the actual interaction. You're supposed to go all Senna and get out of body!

In a rather funny twist of fate, you're also much more likely to watch a replay of yourself than in other genres. That's doing nothing but site seeing. No interaction at all. Nothing but graphics!

To not notice the self-shadowing, or HDR, or texture rez doesn't sound as crazy to me as it maybe it should. Obviously, chalking it up to not knowing better makes the most sense, but I do strangely empathize with his point of view even if it does lack a little enlightenment!

gibbsy24

I can see how one could argue that Race 07 looks better. When I tried the rf2 demo I thought it was pretty ugly. Granted I was only running on medium/high, but with some advanced effects you'd think it could still look pretty good. Meanwhile, while technically worse, something like Race can run with ridiculous amounts of AA, giving it a very clean look, which I think is more important for a racing sim.

Shaneus

In a rather funny twist of fate, you're also much more likely to watch a replay of yourself than in other genres. That's doing nothing but site seeing. No interaction at all. Nothing but graphics!
True on "no interaction", but most of the time when I'm watching a replay, it's to see how sweetly I overtook that guy, handled that corner or doorifto. Although it's funny, the first game I can seriously remember watching the replays just for the graphics was IndyCar Racing on PC. Dem textures.

TJP

A couple of old SimBin games for your Dad to try and anyone else who hasn't:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/Superpower-Sims-Bundle/

GT Legends and GTR for just under $4 USD

For the record, the Bundle includes: Trainz Simulator 12 , IL2-Sturmovik: 1946, Euro Truck Simulator, GT Legends, Agricultural Simulator 2011 Extended Ed., Air Conflicts: Secret Wars, GTR FIA GT Racing, Rig 'n' Roll, Trainz Simulator: Murchison 2

Edit, just checked their other bundle: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/Quickfire-Indie-Bundle/

GTR Evolution for around $3.50 USD

I'm not really sure where to ask this, so I'll ask it here:

Has anyone bought and successfully downloaded Game Stock Car 2013? I bought it a few days ago, but when I used the download link they emailed me the download stops about a quarter way through with an error.

I've searched but I can't seem to find the install anywhere online. Frustrating because the game looks phenomenal

GSC 2012 is the balls by the way, if I haven't already said :p

Polyphony

I'm not really sure where to ask this, so I'll ask it here:

Has anyone bought and successfully downloaded Game Stock Car 2013? I bought it a few days ago, but when I used the download link they emailed me the download stops about a quarter way through with an error.

I've searched but I can't seem to find the install anywhere online. Frustrating because the game looks phenomenal

GSC 2012 is the balls by the way, if I haven't already said :p

Did your email contain the alternate links for the game split into 4 parts? I had success with those. I'm not sure if I can post them here.

TJP

It's bizarre I didn't try that before asking here. I've been banging my head on the table for ages now lol. Cheers.
It is probably uncool too repost ones own post but here are the links supplied to me by Race Department (the official forum for GSC): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84770637&postcount=3466 I was given mega.co.nz links that were very fast so you'll have no issue getting GSC downloaded and setup.

The final release build of GSC 2013 will be a available in torrent form too - we won't need this of course - we'll just the patch to update to version 1.1

Cheers.

It is probably uncool too repost ones own post but here are the links supplied to me by Race Department (the official forum for GSC): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84770637&postcount=3466 I was given mega.co.nz links that were very fast so you'll have no issue getting GSC downloaded and setup.

The final release build of GSC 2013 will be a available in torrent form too - we won't need this of course - we'll just the patch to update to version 1.1

Cheers.

Thanks for that, I got the complete game from the 4 download links in the original email and all is working, I'll save the Mega link for future installs. Now just can't wait to get home from work and try on with my wheel instead of a keyboard lol.

So I got GSC 3 working and I've been playing at home for the last 3 days (Logi G27)...

And I'm bloody stunned. I can not believe how good this game is! The karts have been the biggest surprise, and honestly it's worth getting just for that alone.

My only gripe and I've mentioned this before is that there is complete lack of anyone playing online, and it's a damn shame since this is easily one of the most fun sims out there, and something like karts is just perfect for multiplayer.

Is there/can there be a GAF GSC club or something?

This is awesome :)

Seanspeed

Banned
Speaking of Race 07, I just bought it yesterday since I was reasonably sure it would work well with a 360 controller.

I had played RacePro on the Xbox360 and its 30fps and ugly graphics made it pretty unenjoyable, but at 1080p/60fps, Race 07 is actually quite good.

I can understand if both sims were running at the same res and framerate, because the old gMotor sims have a clean look that is lost in the newer titles due to more fancy effects. For example I find PCARS to be incredibly ugly in comparison to something like GTR2 or iRacing due to the excessive effects, the way the shadows draw in, the shimmery edges of geometry, etc. I would need to downsample PCARS from 2560x1600 to get anything close to the IQ of a gMotor sim at 1920x1200.

But if he prefers anything at 800x600@25fps to anything at 1920x1080@60fps then he definitely needs glasses!

TJP

And I'm bloody stunned. I can not believe how good this game is! The karts have been the biggest surprise, and honestly it's worth getting just for that alone.
GSC is one of the finest racing sims ever. Darin from ISR (I know some people here don't like the ISR coverage) has some real world racing experience in similar karts to the 125cc karts in GSC 2013 and loved what Reiza had done.

My only gripe and I've mentioned this before is that there is complete lack of anyone playing online, and it's a damn shame since this is easily one of the most fun sims out there, and something like karts is just perfect for multiplayer
League play is the best option available; I know there are several serious and not so serious leagues being run at Race Department and probably more elsewhere on the internet. Getting a league going around here would be fun.

Shaneus

GSC is one of the finest racing sims ever. Darin from ISR (I know some people here don't like the ISR coverage) has some real world racing experience in similar karts to the 125cc karts in GSC 2013 and loved what Reiza had done.
I quite like ISR. In fact, I'd say there are two pretty significant reasons why I enjoy watching ISR.

ahem

TJP

I quite like ISR. In fact, I'd say there are two pretty significant reasons why I enjoy watching ISR.

ahem
If I understand the reference correctly, you'll find the two 'significant reasons' left the show with their owner ages ago.

Shaneus

If I understand the reference correctly, you'll find the two 'significant reasons' left the show with their owner ages ago.
Yes, and now you mention it, I'd only just noticed it now. I still enjoy their coverage when it crosses my path, though. I just never go out of my way to check them out.
But with the sheer volume of stuff they've covered, they're hard to avoid!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

I know that Jess left the show, but what do you mean by "with their owner"? I thought the show was owned by Darin?

I like the new stuff ISR seem to be doing. I don't have a problem with those guys. Sometimes I might disagree, or roll my eyes, but that can be said for just about anyone.

Shaun is great, a real nice character and a bit of a handyman which is cool but Darin rubs me up the wrong way, there's something of a bully attitude about him I don't like, he's kind if petty too.

Saying that I don't remember him always being like that and haven't watched the show in 12 months, the guy could have been having a rough time off camera.

Shaun is great, a real nice character and a bit of a handyman which is cool but Darin rubs me up the wrong way, there's something of a bully attitude about him I don't like, he's kind if petty too.

Saying that I don't remember him always being like that and haven't watched the show in 12 months, the guy could have been having a rough time off camera.

If you saw the weird Fanatec situation go down, I can see how you'd think that. Personally, I don't bother drawing too many conclusions. Show me some sim stuff, and entertain me for a few minutes. I don't ask for much!

There are guys that do a better job with hardware such as Sim Racing Review, and software such as Empty Box. I get more out of those types of video shows. Just my preference of course.

Shaneus

I miss them titties too but she was possibly the worst presenter ever.
Well, that's a far more eloquent way of how I put it.

I don't even know who's who. All I know is that the bald guy reminds me of the "high talker" from Seinfeld:
4QNSq9e.png

Via Reddit

Promo code PR-BF2013 now working on the iRacing checkout to get a years subs for $49

Do it! Just resubbed myself. Stoked to get back into it.

Top Bottom