• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

GSC with V8 Supercars (and the official license and tracks), even with the same production quality (and by that I mean how it is now, compared to, say, the FM/GT series') would sell fucking bucketloads. Look how well that crappy Codies V8 Supercars game did a while back... all you need is the license and just slap that on top. Easy money (and visibility) for Reiza.

A release of some kind may be possible given Reiza have stated:

2- All updates will be free - if you own GSC2013, the new content will be made available to you at no adittional charge. We are however looking into experimenting with more community interaction for those willing to participate and contribute with the funding of these developments;

3- As with the content currently available in the sim, there will be a mix of licensed and fictional content

Getting the V8 series into a PC racing sim (BTCC, VLN, STCC and DTM also welcome) of the caibre of GSC would be heaven. I wonder how much cash Mark Skaife and co require to buy the V8 SC series licence. One has to also pay for the individual track licence costs plus vehicle and teams licences but as pCARS has shown, likenesses are often as good or better (more freedom to do what you want).

They need to get their gear together and release Senna though. That should make them a packet as well.
I keep reading the Senna sim is wrapped up in licencing issues. I don't know if it's true however as no words have been posted by Reiza. I did read in the GT6 thread that PD are working with the Senna foundation too so I hope it's a parallel deal rather than a large corporation screwing over a tiny indie developer.

nasanu

Banned
Why I love Reiza Studios and why the sim racing community should buy Game Stock Car 2013 to support a great indie dev team

Sell me on it then. I know the graphics are rubbish, the physics look ok though the suspension model is not up the current standards set by Assetto Corsa or GT6.

What is the online like? Please tell me its not yet another PC sim that tells players to bugger off and organise their own racing? If racing online is a simple matter of selecting player hosted rooms based on ping then I am in, if I have to mess around selecting servers, finding passwords and downloading mods made by amateurs like in almost all other PC sims then count me out.

TJP

Sell me on it then. I know the graphics are rubbish, the physics look ok though the suspension model is not up the current standards set by Assetto Corsa or GT6.
Download the demo and try GSC 2013 for yourself. It's that simple really.

As for the physics looking 'ok', they've been universally praised by nearly everyone who's had the nous to either buy GSC or try the demo. I can't say I've played GT6 however you've referenced Assetto Corsa and my subjective opinion is GSC is on-par with Assetto Corsa's early build but as always YMMV. The person responsible for the physics in GSC, Niels Heusinkveld, knows what he's doing.

TJP

Ahahahahaha. That looks like it came straight from the $5 bin at Harvey Norman or (insert most hated retailer here). It doesn't even say who made it.

$54. BAHAHAHA.
That's the SimBin add-on for RaceRoom which I really like 8(

New demo is available too: http://download.dtm-experience.com/DTM_Experience_Demo_Setup.exe

download-prompt-en.jpg

Morzak

Download the demo and try GSC 2013 for yourself. It's that simple really.

As for the physics looking 'ok', they've been universally praised by nearly everyone who's had the nous to either buy GSC or try the demo. I can't say I've played GT6 however you've referenced Assetto Corsa and my subjective opinion is GSC is on-par with Assetto Corsa's early build but as always YMMV. The person responsible for the physics in GSC, Niels Heusinkveld, knows what he's doing.

I'm really impressed with GSC 13, yeah graphics are nothing to write home about, but the feel of the cars is amazing in my opinion. The physics are up to par as far as I'm concerned and the FFB puts Assetto Corsa to shame. The karts are incredibly fun and I quite like the Mini challenge for some relatively relaxed racing. The AI seems decent and believable in their mistakes as far as I can tell. Didn't play online yet.

Shaneus

That's the SimBin add-on for RaceRoom which I really like 8(
Ohhh... I wasn't sure, because the website is so damn basic and it's pretty skint on details. With real cars and tracks... maybe, given you could get GSC *and* FT in the one pack for what was it, $30? Need to temper their expectation of what people would pay.

TJP

I'm really impressed with GSC 13
Another happy customer 8)

I believe the person who asked the question is a console racing fan, specifically GT5 and I get the feeling his post was a troll-esc one. Of course I could be wrong though ;)

It doesn't work with a T500, causes a freeze on menus. And when it works, I find the handling to be comedic at best. I've read a few people on here suggesting it to be a big step forward from Shift - it still feels like Shift to me. :/

Addnan

It doesn't work with a T500, causes a freeze on menus. And when it works, I find the handling to be comedic at best. I've read a few people on here suggesting it to be a big step forward from Shift - it still feels like Shift to me. :/
It's shift with a Ferrari skin.

Watevaman

I felt it was a bit more drivable than Shift to me, but it's been a long time since I played Shift. I just didn't like the way it handled with my wheel so I stopped playing.

edit:

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know RACE Injection can be had for $4 in this bundle:

http://www.bundlestars.com/

I'd say it's a good deal if you like the Simbin stuff.

It's the last chance to get RACE Injection at a low price. Last I checked it actually dropped to $3 for the bundle.

^^ So good.

I hope we'll see some new camera angle mods come down the pike. That's the best one in the whole game, so I'm hoping for some more good ones.

TJP

I hope we'll see some new camera angle mods come down the pike. That's the best one in the whole game, so I'm hoping for some more good ones.
Have you watched the helicopter camera video mod I posted in the AC thread? Quite amazing the details we don't see at Mugello.

NeoGash

yeaaaaaa_by_watevaman-d6wne6e.gif

pCARs and its stupid smoke :(

The smoke looks so awesome before it suddenly disappears....then reappears, then disappears, then reappears again, then disappears finally. Is there any racing game that has super realistic smoke effects? I'm too used to Forza and its tiny little Nimbus clouds. Goku would be proud.

And damn, that is the most impressive thing I have seen in a racing game. That suspension and lighting and general detail.

Watevaman

I think pCARS will have awesome smoke once they get that full particle physics system implemented. I don't think it's there right now.

To be honest, most racing games have pretty lame smoke. I thought Driver: SF's smoke was pretty nice, especially how it pooled up in the wheel well when you did burnouts.

Best smoke by a long shot in a sim is GT5 and presumably GT6 too. A few arcade games do it well, like Driver SF and GTA, and one of the Need For Speeds was particularly good.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I have been playing the original Dirt for quite a while now in bits and pieces, and I've finally done everything I wanted to in career mode. Great game, but I can now move on to Dirt 2 knowing that I'm content in my progress with the first game. So last night I started up Dirt 2 for the first time ever, and wow, so far Dirt 2 is quite a bit better than Dirt 1. The presentation is better, the UI is better, the tracks and events seem better, and man are the graphics so much better. I'm only at like level 9 or so right now so I'm still at the start, but the racing is much more enjoyable than it's predecessor, and I loved Dirt 1 a lot. Dirt 2 may be the best rally game I've ever played so far. Haven't come across a hill climb like Pike's Peak in Dirt 2 yet though, Pike's Peak was my favorite race in Dirt 1. Hopefully there are hill climbs in Dirt 2 as well.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
There isn't.

Dirt 2 would be an amazing game if it wasn't so poor of content, so shallow...

Oh, that's disappointing to hear. So far I have liked the tracks in Dirt 2. Well I'll keep playing it until I win the career mode anyway, just for completionist's sake. Maybe when it's all said and done I'll go back to Dirt 1 if I still prefer it.

You know what I love? Coming home, choosing my favourite car, on my favourite track, with the no. of laps I want, against whatever kind of and however many opponents I want... without having to grind for 400 hours or pay to get there.

I love you PC sim racing >3

TJP

You know what I love? Coming home, choosing my favourite car, on my favourite track, with the no. of laps I want, against whatever kind of and however many opponents I want... without having to grind for 400 hours or pay to get there.

I love you PC sim racing >3
Plus in many a PC racing sim you can chose the weather condtions (or set it to ramdom) and change the time of day or night too. It's a grand way to race (awaits posts about PC sims lacking of licenced cars, tuning, career mode etc).

That said PC and console sims have their places and I'm sure nearly all of us posting here appreciate having various options. I do hope the PC dev's don't follow the current console game design route. If I buy DLC cars I better be able to race them as soon as they download. I've never understood buying DLC cars with real money then having to earn in-game credits to buy them. On console PGR got it right (what you buy in DLC you own straight away) and there are plently of other examples: Race Pro, GT series etc that did the same too. A shame Turn10 never saw DLC cars in the same way as other dev's (for the record I own copies of Forza 1,2,3 LE and 4 LE).

Top Bottom