• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

markao

You know what I love? Coming home, choosing my favourite car, on my favourite track, with the no. of laps I want, against whatever kind of and however many opponents I want... without having to grind for 400 hours or pay to get there.

I love you PC sim racing >3
+1

I remember the shitstorm created by the original rFactor and GTLegends releases on the old RSC forums. Both had cars hidden, money or play career and within 24 hours both released a "cheat file", so you could pick every single car/track you want from the beginning.

Shaneus

So, with all the Senna stuff confirmed in GT6, do we know what's happening with Reiza's efforts? I'm not sure on whether any kind of exclusivity had been organised one way or the other, but it doesn't make me hopeful :(

Sex on four wheels. Would be great if they could do something Star Citizen-esque where you can "browse" the car, get in and actually drive off into a track (I'm yet to see a game do that with any level of detail) and it almost looks like something they'd implement.
Only other thing that could be improved is how quickly the lights switched on... don't xenons normally flicker on slightly?

TJP

DTM Experience is out
Indeed it is. From SimBin, here is the run down of what you'll be buying

Players who purchase DTM Experience 2013 before end of March will also receive the 2014 season for free.

What does DTM Experience 2013 include:
Cars:
AUDI RS 5 DTM and 8 liveries.
BMW M3 DTM and 8 liveries.
DTM Mercedes AMG C-Coupé and 6 liveries.

Tracks:
Hockenheim DTM.
Brands Hatch DTM.
Red Bull Ring DTM.
Lausitzring DTM.
Norisring DTM.
Moscow Raceway DTM.
Nurburgring DTM.
Oschersleben DTM.
Zandvoort DTM.

Game Modes:
DTM Single Race.
DTM Championship.
DTM Track Test.
DTM Leaderboard challenges and competitions.

Spookie

It's hillarious how much they are charging for it considering the value of GSC2013. If they make any money I'll be amazed.

TJP

It's hillarious how much they are charging for it considering the value of GSC2013. If they make any money I'll be amazed.
Great minds think alike - check post #3698 8) That said, I do hope SimBin have success with this release despite the glaring omissions as the DTM add-on offers a very solid sim racing experience.

Plus in many a PC racing sim you can chose the weather condtions (or set it to ramdom) and change the time of day or night too. It's a grand way to race (awaits posts about PC sims lacking of licenced cars, tuning, career mode etc).
Indeed, the options and freedom are a huge bonus.
+1

I remember the shitstorm created by the original rFactor and GTLegends releases on the old RSC forums. Both had cars hidden, money or play career and within 24 hours both released a "cheat file", so you could pick every single car/track you want from the beginning.
There was a career mode in the original rFactor? Never knew that.

Ryne

Is Race Room worth getting into? I love DTM cars and want to race them, but the price seems just too far out for what I would be getting in return.

TJP

So, with all the Senna stuff confirmed in GT6, do we know what's happening with Reiza's efforts? I'm not sure on whether any kind of exclusivity had been organised one way or the other, but it doesn't make me hopeful :(
I've already posed the same question in the hope Amar would see it and respond 8)

markao

Indeed, the options and freedom are a huge bonus.
There was a career mode in the original rFactor? Never knew that.
No, not really a career mode, but you had to pay for new cars (mods) and you earned money while playing. A "cheat file" was posted, almost immediately after release, that gave you unlimited money, so you could play with whatever car you wanted from the get go.

Is Race Room worth getting into? I love DTM cars and want to race them, but the price seems just too far out for what I would be getting in return.

RaceRoom you can try out, I think it has some car/track combo you can try for free? (not sure what the car/track is ;) )

DTM if it would have included pitsstops/MP, I would say yes, right now I feel like it is a little unfinished for a SimBin product. Without those two, I feel like 39,99 is a little on the high side, maybe a Steam sale at 25/30 € is a nice price point to try it out. Having sad that, I did enjoy driving the cars on Spielberg and the Norisring in this game while testing it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Dirt 2 would be an amazing game if it wasn't so poor of content, so shallow...

Is the general consensus that Dirt 2 is not as good as Dirt 1? Because I've got about a half dozen hours or so into Dirt 2 now and I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. The race events seem more varied, the tracks are fun and interesting, the controls seem better to me, and the graphics are simply astounding. The replays are beautiful to watch, very much improved over Dirt 1. I've only purchased a few new cars though, and it does look like there aren't near as many cars in Dirt 2 as there was in Dirt 1, so that's a shame. But the tracks are all fun to race on so far.

Is Dirt 3 even better yet? What is everyone's favorite rally racing game on the PC?

Megasoum

Banned
Is the general consensus that Dirt 2 is not as good as Dirt 1? Because I've got about a half dozen hours or so into Dirt 2 now and I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. The race events seem more varied, the tracks are fun and interesting, the controls seem better to me, and the graphics are simply astounding. The replays are beautiful to watch, very much improved over Dirt 1. I've only purchased a few new cars though, and it does look like there aren't near as many cars in Dirt 2 as there was in Dirt 1, so that's a shame. But the tracks are all fun to race on so far.

Is Dirt 3 even better yet? What is everyone's favorite rally racing game on the PC?

Dirt 2 is by far the best in the series IMO. I agree it's a bit light on content (you repeat a lot of the events often) but man those Trailblazer events were just so incredible! Especially the desert ones (I think it was in Utah?). Those cars are crazy fast.

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Dirt 2 is by far the best in the series IMO. I agree it's a bit light on content (you repeat a lot of the events often) but man those Trailblazer events were just so incredible! Especially the desert ones (I think it was in Utah?). Those cars are crazy fast.

Hell Yeah !! I have done 5 complete carreers of Dirt 2, two on xbox360 et three on PC.

DD

As I've said, Dirt 2 is an amazing game. The big issue there is the lack of content. =/

Dirt 3 is as poor as Dirt 2, or even worse, since it has even less tracks.

I want to get Assetto Corsa but that's a pretty hefty price tag for an early access game. It looks so good though :(
You'd have to pay the same (or more) when it officially releases. There's always a chance they could totally muck it up in terms of AI and online, but at this stage it's solid, and they're allowing themselves more time to get the rest of it right, so that seems very unlikely.

I guess your concern is whether anything else is going to compare by the time they're 'done' which could be more deserving of your cash. Right now, GSC2013 offers the best value, the most complete sim, but the graphics are really starting to show their age. Let's say it takes another year to reach a fully sorted, feature-rich Assetto Corsa. By then we might have Project CARS... GT7 on PS4 is probably not ready, Forza 6 a while off... who knows what Simbin might have, but they seem to be struggling... Reiza are still using the old engine and ISI are making very slow progress with the new one. The closest overall package is going to be Project CARS I guess... but in terms of physics that has been disappointing in comparison to AC. There might be another sim from Reiza, which will likely be very close or superior to AC in physics, so that would be an option if physics is the priority. But in a year's time, AC is likely to still be worth the asking price.

Been away from racing games for a number of years now, but I am looking for a racing game that will push my PC hardware to the absolute limit (i7 3970x @4.6Ghz, gtx 690, 32gb ram) I really want project cars but since there is no way I can actually get it is there any other games you guys would recommend?
AC may not be the ultimate in eye-candy, but it's actually a little cleaner in image quality compared to Project CARS, and is far less demanding on hardware - your rig would comfortably max it with power to spare to apply loads of AA or even downsample. It would look fantastic. Apart from AC you're better off looking at arcade games for flash graphics, like the recent Need For Speeds.

soontroll

Banned
You'd have to pay the same (or more) when it officially releases. There's always a chance they could totally muck it up in terms of AI and online, but at this stage it's solid, and they're allowing themselves more time to get the rest of it right, so that seems very unlikely.

I guess your concern is whether anything else is going to compare by the time they're 'done' which could be more deserving of your cash. Right now, GSC2013 offers the best value, the most complete sim, but the graphics are really starting to show their age. Let's say it takes another year to reach a fully sorted, feature-rich Assetto Corsa. By then we might have Project CARS... GT7 on PS4 is probably not ready, Forza 6 a while off... who knows what Simbin might have, but they seem to be struggling... Reiza are still using the old engine and ISI are making very slow progress with the new one. The closest overall package is going to be Project CARS I guess... but in terms of physics that has been disappointing in comparison to AC. There might be another sim from Reiza, which will likely be very close or superior to AC in physics, so that would be an option if physics is the priority. But in a year's time, AC is likely to still be worth the asking price.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I've been hearing good things about AC so maybe it is time to put some money down for it.

Anyway, some rare GP Bikes love:
ibnqm1xlkcrsIS.gif

TJP

Anyway, some rare GP Bikes love
GP Bikes looks great as always!

The downside of GP Bikes is that it's a Piboso sim, so one never knows if or when the next updates are coming. Last time I visited the official GP Bikes forum, it was just after the forum had been restored after being wiped of old posts. As a result, some of the members were none to pleased with Piboso.

soontroll

Banned
GP Bikes looks great as always!

Being a Piboso sim, one never knows if or when the next updates are coming. Last time I visited the official GP Bikes forum, it was just after the forum had been wiped of posts and restored with some of the members none to pleased with Piboso.

The forum's in better shape now. Piboso has asked us not to post info elsewhere so I wont but you should check out the forum if you want updates ;)

Smokey

Been getting more and more curious to try pc racing games. What's a good start for a beginner? I just read up on Assetto Corsa which looks really good. I already have a proper setup for the games: 3 screens and a g27, but wouldn't mind taking suggestions from you guys on a good starting ground.

All of this on the day I'm supposed to pick up my gt6 preorder heh

TJP

The forum's in better shape now. Piboso has asked us not to post info elsewhere so I wont but you should check out the forum if you want updates ;)
I'd did whilst typing my response as I didn't want my post to read like I'd randomly heaped shit onto Piboso or GP Bikes (which looks and plays really promisingly).

Someone casually mentions GP Bikes being added to Steam's Greenlight in one thread...any actual news on this?

Netkar Pro is simple to set up, costs next to nothing and drives amazingly well. You'll want to get some track mods to with it. I haven't tried AC yet.

Live For Speed has a good variety of cars and GSC 2013 comes highly recommended from everybody it seems.

TJP

Been getting more and more curious to try pc racing games. What's a good start for a beginner? I just read up on Assetto Corsa which looks really good. I already have a proper setup for the games: 3 screens and a g27, but wouldn't mind taking suggestions from you guys on a good starting ground.
It's quite tough to give answers without a few questions such as:

• What genres of motorsports are you interested in? Reason - no PC sim covers every motorsport genre out of the box as yet. Many do with mods 8)
  • Are you interested in multiplayer? Reason - not all PC sims have fantastic 'net code and/or a huge online community.
  • Do you prefer realistic physics or fantastic graphics? Reason - many sims have great physics and wheel FFB but may look dated which puts some people off trying them whilst a few sims (and loads of pseudo-sims) have great visuals but may not be as realistic as what you're looking for.

Smokey

It's quite tough to give answers without a few questions such as:

• What genres of motorsports are you interested in? Reason - no PC sim covers every motorsport genre out of the box as yet. Many do with mods 8)
  • Are you interested in multiplayer? Reason - not all PC sims have fantastic 'net code and/or a huge online community.
  • Do you prefer realistic physics or fantastic graphics? Reason - many sims have great physics and wheel FFB but may look dated which puts some people off trying them whilst a few sims (and loads of pseudo-sims) have great visuals but may not be as realistic as what you're looking for.

–my sim experience goes only as far as forza and gt. I've never really tried stuff like F1 so I don't even know if I'd like it or not. Not opposed to trying various genre's. That's how you learn!

–don't really do alot of racing MP

–is there a middle ground? Assetto Corsa is catching my eye, how does that title line up in terms of graphics and physics?

Watevaman

I started with GTR2 back in the day. It's a great middle ground. The graphics aren't that good anymore, but it's got tons of mods and it's fairly realistic, although it's also forgiving.

I'd say wait for the Steam winter sale and pick up all the RACE games and GTR2 just to have a wide selection of racing games with a solid past and fairly good AI.

Spookie

–my sim experience goes only as far as forza and gt. I've never really tried stuff like F1 so I don't even know if I'd like it or not. Not opposed to trying various genre's. That's how you learn!

F1 2013 is £9.99 at simply CD keys at the moment. Game Stock Car 2013 is straight up best value and it probably worth the punt for the Karts alone.

I've already posed the same question in the hope Amar would see it and respond 8)

pretty sure I saw the answer to this a few weeks ago on virtualr or bsim. the answer was, it doesn't impact the reiza game at all. sorry, I can't be bothered looking up where I got this from. derp.

btw. anyone who hasn't bought assetto corsa yet. just buy it. it's hands down the best feeling sim ever. absolutely incredible.

AC may not be the ultimate in eye-candy, but it's actually a little cleaner in image quality compared to Project CARS, and is far less demanding on hardware - your rig would comfortably max it with power to spare to apply loads of AA or even downsample. It would look fantastic. Apart from AC you're better off looking at arcade games for flash graphics, like the recent Need For Speeds.

well, and another difference between ac and pcars is that pcars drives like shit and ac is absolutely wonderful. :-D

Does Asseto Corsa have split screen/multiplayer of any kind?

no multi at all yet. it's coming. not sure about split screen. do you mean more players on a single display? or the more sensible one car split across three screens, it supports three screens and all that. oculus rift. don't think it will support multiplayer splitscreen on one display. is that really something anyone would want from a sim?

no multi at all yet. it's coming. not sure about split screen. do you mean more players on a single display? or the more sensible one car split across three screens, it supports three screens and all that. oculus rift. don't think it will support multiplayer splitscreen on one display. is that really something anyone would want from a sim?

I meant multi monitor, but the way I phrased that sentence was abysmal. Thanks!

Shaneus

Kill me if old, but I'm pretty sure no-one in this thread knows about this (otherwise I would've read it):
Found three undocumented settings from G27, is this "we know it already" stuff and no need for topic at all?

Personally haven't know it before.

Instructions later if people think at this is something what they want to know.
6ZAeuuV.jpg

[1+2] + O = ~670°
[1+2] + S = ~450°
[1+2] + X = 900° Resets to default
[1+2] + T = ~240°

1 and 2 buttons goes down almost same time, I have used order 1-2 and then selection without any specific delay, then releasing selection key and also 1 and 2 buttons.
*After many tests can say at just hold 1+2 down and then select TSOX-mode which you want to use.
Have done it everywhere, on track, on menus, so doesn't matter where, only doing it after wheel calibration, 'coz calibration resets these modes.
After successful mode change you feel it when turning wheel toward lock, there will be a FFB-engine powered lock what you feel on chosen radius.

Hardware coded feature, works on PS3 and PC.

G25 confirmed also to work same as G27
Works also on DFGT (1=start 2=select) (some works, some not..weird)

If you like it please tell me it also, and if understanding better some of those modes please tell here it also and we'll update this post.
(c)OdeFinn (lol)
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g27-g25-dfgt-undocumented-wheel-lock-settings-guide.286646/

Mind blown into a million pieces.

Spookie

My fanatec is having a shit fit in Project Cars: it's swinging wildly between left and right so won't hold a steady centre. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

My fanatec is having a shit fit in Project Cars: it's swinging wildly between left and right so won't hold a steady centre. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Sounds like the force feedback is reversed.

Is there a "-"option in the strength settings?

If not try it in PS3 mode.

Seem to have a lot of performance problems with Corsa using GTX 690, is the SLI not working correctly? just getting random FPS drops at 1080p with everything maxed, anybody got suggestions?
Do you have 'fullscreen rendering' checked? It wasn't enabled by default for me (despite it running in fullscreen).

markao

I don't think there is any reverse FFB like setting as D_C is suggesting.

But they did mess up something with an addition for gamepad support, which they fixed with an extra small patch, so check if you have that one installed. But before you do that, make sure you delete the "CARS" folder from "my documents", it deletes all profiles and with the daily updates, stuff gets corrupted (physics/set-ups) rather quickly lately with all the code chances.

Make sure to assign your axis (wheel/pedals) and calibrate your wheel, 900 degrees & pedals after it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

I personally enjoyed Dirt 3 the best of the three. Had some seriously tense and incredibly fun races online.

The physics are very fun... lots of cool drifts.

The tracks are the best in Dirt 3. Monte Carlo alone is worth the price of admission.

The variety of party games give it lots of replay value online.

Last but not least....Gymkhana, which I enjoyed a lot despite the hate it gets among most Dirt fans.

Overall a fantastic game through and through.

Spookie

Well it's stopped flicking left and right. But now the sensitivity is through the roof! The smallest wheel rotation moves it about 540 degrees.

Ugh.

markao

Well it's stopped flicking left and right. But now the sensitivity is through the roof! The smallest wheel rotation moves it about 540 degrees.

Ugh.
delete "my documents/CARS" folder again (or at least your default.sav file).

- Go to the control menu (help/options bottom left) and go to "Edit"--> map all axis (steer left/right/pedals)
- Go to "calibrate wheel" screen and click "Start"
- Turn your wheel max degree to the right or left, click next
- Turn your wheel 90 degrees left or right, HOLD IT and click "finish and save".
- Calibrate pedals

You can check your steeringwheel lock in the "Configuration" menu, also set your "Force Feedback and Tire Force" both at 100

You should be ok now, I hope ;)

TJP

I'm guessing no one here bought the DTM Expansion for RaceRoom..reading the (lack of) comments on Race Department probably means the first day sales weren't exactly stellar.

Top Bottom