• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Morzak

Hm I spent some cash on an iRacing subscription. Have to say the service and resources are very good, but oh my that content pricing, I'm not so sure if I ever will move up in that game....... I honestly think that charging a fee and then a pretty damn big amount of money for track sand cars is a bit iffy.

Downloaded RaceRoom from Steam and will certainly not buy anything from there, the damn menus are extremely confusing and honestly charging money for content when the core client looks unfinished is ugly.

So very, very good.

Watch, DL.

No time for good gifs. Better than nothing.
cbbb49ibc.gif
bnmm10ucz.gif

TJP

GP Bikes Beta 4 released: http://www.gp-bikes.com/?page=downloads

Picture from BsimRacing

Changelog:

fix: brakes simulation
fix: slipstream
fix: bike reset
fix: direct connection category mismatch
fix: crash when going to track for a race
fix: send setup changed to share setup
fix: flagman
fix: admin page
fix: xml export
fix: penalties export
fix: free camera speed controls
fix: alpha sort
new: gearbox engine cutoff support
new: gearbox preload support
new: helmet model change option
new: helmet paint support
new: riding styles support
new: dedicated server chat
new: plugins track centerline
new: race start sound
new: setup export
new: replay camera controls setting
new: track help disable option
new: framerate cap
new: autobrake disable option
new: cockpit info disable option

TJP

So very, very good.

Watch, DL
That's why Niels wants to stick with rFactor for the time being 8)

The NSX looks fantastic in the gifs and judging by the excellent feedback on VirtualR (the NSX drives like a car from Assetto Corsa) we need this mod (and the Corvette) in GSC 2013!

The NSX looks fantastic in the gifs and judging by the excellent feedback on VirtualR (the NSX drives like a car from Assetto Corsa) we need this mod (and the Corvette) in GSC 2013!

The NSX makes for a perfect sim road car. Not too fast, not too slow. Lively, but supremely balanced. Niels' version is everything that you'd expect it to be. It's just a well developed package with two car versions, tire and upgrade parts as well. It feels like his other stuff, but it's a different kind of car to what he's previously done.

It kind of seems unlikely that they'll officially be brought over, but you never know. They're top shelf sim cars. They deserve a better looking place to be driven!

Shaneus

If it's from the original rF, won't it just work right away?

I'd love to see Reiza create some fake series' with licensed cars. An NSX series with that model could be epic as hell.

TJP

If it's from the original rF, won't it just work right away?

I'd love to see Reiza create some fake series' with licensed cars. An NSX series with that model could be epic as hell.
In theory you'd think it would work fine...I tried to use a GSC 2012 specific track (a North American track from Reiza's track artist) in the GSC 2013 game and got a loading error for my troubles. I'm sure it's the same story for vehicles too sadly 8(

Shaneus

That's even more bizarre... because 2012 and 2013 even use identical isiMotor versions, yeah?

Hopefully it's only a header in an ini that needs to be changed or something.

TJP

Didn't Reiza mention that they created new shaders for GSC 2013? Either way the track didn't work (it was a port from rFactor) and I'm sure Reiza mentioned that most mods for GSC 2012 should work in GSC 2013. New skins had to be made for GSC 2013 too.

As for the ISImotor question - all I know is there are several versions and I'm not sure who uses which version. I'd hope Reiza are using the very latest version & I hope it's the same for SimBin with RRE.

Tim Wheatley of ISI said:
gMotor is graphics only. The community incorrectly uses that name. For example, pMotor is physics, different bits have different names.

A 'full upgrade' would be 3.0? lol No, actually that's not how it works. The numbers mean absolutely nothing like that (because this doesn't tell you anything about gMotor, pMotor, etc, and their advancement). rFactor Pro has the same engine number as rFactor, for example, but it's not the same.

But the version of isiMotor, which is the actual engine name, and as meaningless (except useful for good reference, etc) as it is, is 2.5.

Edit: This is also why some of the customers of ours might either say they're not using our engine, or that the version of the engine they use isn't really that important. For example if someone used everything from rFactor, but put in their own gMotor (graphics) then it'll look a lot different. If someone used pMotor with everything else being their own, then they may feel right saying they only used a small portion and didn't use the "engine".

But, FYI:

SCGT: Cube
F1 titles: 1.0
rFactor: 2.0
rF2 2.5.

But again, a little meaningless in many ways. Between 1.0 and 2.0 many part of the code were completely re-written (as EA owned that work), so while the engine might have been 2.0, the parts within it could technically have been called 1.0 as it was their first version away from EA.

My head hurts...

Arucardo

Didn't Reiza mention that they created new shaders for GSC 2013? Either way the track didn't work (it was a port from rFactor) and I'm sure Reiza mentioned that most mods for GSC 2012 should work in GSC 2013. New skins had to be made for GSC 2013 too.

As for the ISImotor question - all I know is there are several versions and I'm not sure who uses which version. I'd hope Reiza are using the very latest version & I hope it's the same for SimBin with RRE.

My head hurts...

Weird. All my GSC2012 mods and tracks work just fine in GSC2013. There's a possibility with mods where sounds don't work but you can fix that by moving the sound files.

Morzak

The NSX makes for a perfect sim road car. Not too fast, not too slow. Lively, but supremely balanced. Niels' version is everything that you'd expect it to be. It's just a well developed package with two car versions, tire and upgrade parts as well. It feels like his other stuff, but it's a different kind of car to what he's previously done.

It kind of seems unlikely that they'll officially be brought over, but you never know. They're top shelf sim cars. They deserve a better looking place to be driven!

Seriously every Sim that uses Streetcars has to include at least one NSX those things are just serious fun, I really want that car in Assetto Corsa sooner then later.

TJP

Weird. All my GSC2012 mods and tracks work just fine in GSC2013. There's a possibility with mods where sounds don't work but you can fix that by moving the sound files.
It was Vanport International Raceway that didn't work.

I keep all of the addtional tracks in one archive folder and I added them all into my GSC 2013 install. Looking at Alex's website, I believe this is a track for GSC and not the 2012 or 2013 release. Ignore what I posted!

Spookie

"Many thanks for your recent pre-order from GT Omega Racing

Your Order Has Been dispatched."

YEAH BOI. That's my wheel stand sent then, I'll be sure to take photos incase anyone is interested to see how it looks in a real life environment.

TJP

It appears iRacing has plans to include the 2013 COTF Red Bull Racing Commodore to their roster of cars at the request of RBR. Mid 2014 is the expected launch window for the Commonwhore.

Spookie

Fitting the wheel stand in to my room was like trying to move an elephant in. Its incredibly rigid though. I'll take photos later for those folks looking to buy one.

It appears iRacing has plans to include the 2013 COTF Red Bull Racing Commodore to their roster of cars at the request of RBR. Mid 2014 is the expected launch window for the Commonwhore.

Nice. Current gen Indy car will also be 2014. It'll be good to finally get replacements for some of these aging cars. In the meantime, t-minus one month 'til Ruf. Can't wait.

Fitting the wheel stand in to my room was like trying to move an elephant in. Its incredibly rigid though. I'll take photos later for those folks looking to buy one.

Cool, show us whatcha got.

Watevaman

OK, I should be getting a T500RS soon and am thinking of asking for either AC or GSC2013 for Xmas. Which one would you all go for?

I already have almost every "essential" Sim except for RBR which I'll probably pick up as well, so its down to these two.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
OK, I should be getting a T500RS soon and am thinking of asking for either AC or GSC2013 for Xmas. Which one would you all go for?

I already have almost every "essential" Sim except for RBR which I'll probably pick up as well, so its down to these two.

Depends on what you like to do, GSC is a full-featured game while AC has a few tracks, cars and no AI or multiplayer (yet, of course).

If you are ok with hotlapping (or drifting or anything in which you are alone) with insane physics, and also with a significant possibility for a bug or a disfunctionality, go for it.

Personally, I think the physics made up completely for the lack of multi, career, AI etc. It was like a revelation after all those years stuck with the excellent but aged LFS, and the heavily flawed ISI based games. But if you want a full experience you might get dissapointed or quickly bored with the current state of the game (early access after all).

They both feel great, but there are times when GSC feels more communicative to me. I'm not completely comfortable with AC's FFB. T500 here.

They both feel great, but there are times when GSC feels more communicative to me. I'm not completely comfortable with AC's FFB. T500 here.

I moved from Logitech to Thrustmaster, and I can tell you (although I'm sure you already know) the ffb is not where it needs to be in AC with the T500.

Watevaman

I'll probably go for GSC. If the FFB for the T500 isn't that great in AC yet, plus the fact that content will be rolling out, I won't feel bad for waiting until closer to its completion date to get into it.

I do enjoy hotlapping (it's all I do in pCARS), but I do love being able to get some good large grid races going when needed. Favorite part of Simbin's titles is the create a race.

Ill leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRZEOVL4zs

just a quick montage featuring last Assetto Corsa update.

I know its terrible, im kinda new to these things, but ill do my best next time!

Have fun guys :)
Nice effort - I'll try to offer some constructive criticism.

I think you could have trimmed it and tightened it to fit under 3 minutes - to be honest I was losing interest by the end. The intro is unnecessarily long, and you should post your specs/settings at the end, or in the info section. YouTube viewers are very impatient - you need to get to the good stuff faster otherwise people will click away. Your footage seemed to be shaking about a lot, like you were filming it off screen? Quite strange... direct feed is better! And go easy on the fancy transitions and effects - just a basic fade is all you need for transitions. As for effects, unless you can do really fancy things that actually enhance the graphics (e.g. this iRacing footage), most people would prefer to see the raw visuals with no filters anyway.

Hope that helps! :)

Shaneus

Oh hey, very sharp. I like that.
Yeah, that's a damn nice looking wheel stand.

Does it fold up to something relatively small? The only problem I have with my Rennsport wheel stand is that when you fold it up, the bar the wheel sits on goes right on top of the pedals, making it a bit of a bitch to pack up.

But that stand... man, that looks nice.

Nice effort - I'll try to offer some constructive criticism.

I think you could have trimmed it and tightened it to fit under 3 minutes - to be honest I was losing interest by the end. The intro is unnecessarily long, and you should post your specs/settings at the end, or in the info section. YouTube viewers are very impatient - you need to get to the good stuff faster otherwise people will click away. Your footage seemed to be shaking about a lot, like you were filming it off screen? Quite strange... direct feed is better! And go easy on the fancy transitions and effects - just a basic fade is all you need for transitions. As for effects, unless you can do really fancy things that actually enhance the graphics (e.g. this iRacing footage), most people would prefer to see the raw visuals with no filters anyway.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks alot man, i appreciate every single word you said. I promise ill do next video with the adivces you gave me, because you actually opened my eyes.
Thanks alot :D As for the video "shaking" i dont know why it happens, but it happens only on mobile phones. On desktop seems fine, go figure :(
Edit: MAN THAT VIDEO IS SICK! Awesome stuff!
Edit 2: you're totally right, the video zooms in and out, i dont know why :(
Edit 3: Finally ive fixed the shaking, now the video is how it was intendend to be :D

Watevaman

Damn it the iRacing vid makes me want more laser-scanned Sebring in other games.

If iRacing released an SP only version with just all the content they have right now for $60 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh my head, so sick! The looks, the sound... incredible. I didn't realize they had to/wanted to keep the interiors. I kind of like it! These things are going to race so well.

Is this coming before the end of the season? Maybe I missed some news about that.
Yeah they certainly know how to do sound. The first version (not all drivetrain variants) is due 'before 2014' so... I'm guessing it'll be a Christmas present :)

Yeah they certainly know how to do sound. The first version (not all drivetrain variants) is due 'before 2014' so... I'm guessing it'll be a Christmas present :)

Ohhh, I thought that might be the case! I'll bet they're closed next week, so between now and Friday is where I'm sticking my flag in the sand.

I'm going to have action figure hands by Christmas from driving all these new sim releases. :)

DD

Guys, is Shift 2 more playable with a wheel than with an X360 pad? I've upgraded my PC and now I have a wheel, so I'm thinking about downloading it again.

Also, downloaded GTR2 and it's not working. =(
Clicked on it's icon and nothing happened. Went to it's steam folder and tried the exec file, and it warned me about a missing DLL. Downloaded it, and it starts fine, but then the game closes for no reason on the main menu. Did anybody had the same problem?

Spookie

Yeah, that's a damn nice looking wheel stand.

Does it fold up to something relatively small? The only problem I have with my Rennsport wheel stand is that when you fold it up, the bar the wheel sits on goes right on top of the pedals, making it a bit of a bitch to pack up.

But that stand... man, that looks nice.

I haven't had to pack it up yet but the wheel doesn't appear to sit on pedals. It can be packed up so you can lean it on a wall. On top of that there is very little sway and you can build it in to a simulator cockpit.

Guys, is Shift 2 more playable with a wheel than with an X360 pad? I've upgraded my PC and now I have a wheel, so I'm thinking about downloading it again.

Also, downloaded GTR2 and it's not working. =(
Clicked on it's icon and nothing happened. Went to it's steam folder and tried the exec file, and it warned me about a missing DLL. Downloaded it, and it starts fine, but then the game closes for no reason on the main menu. Did anybody had the same problem?

Totally, as long you install the UCP mod. With a wheel its a LOAD of fun.

Morzak

I haven't had to pack it up yet but the wheel doesn't appear to sit on pedals. It can be packed up so you can lean it on a wall. On top of that there is very little sway and you can build it in to a simulator cockpit.

Great to hear, I hope mine will come with the next batch :) Looks great.

bee

hadn't even seen the ruf video until 2 mins ago! ruf tonight and f40 on friday, gonna be some fun racing this weekend :D

Top Bottom