• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

bee

site back online and ruf purchased, not got much time until the weekend, would be rude to not try at least a few laps though :)

gatisimo

Is there any way of getting in on Project Cars? I missed the boat but have been clamoring for months (thanks, high-res screenshot thread). Someone deliver a Festivus miracle!

The Ruf RWD (730hp version) is mad!

Here's a very tentative lap at Oulton Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZlTD_Xr8X0

I did ten laps in the track car, and then jumped straight into the RWD to try that. I mean how different can it be, right?

vvvveukcu.gif

Great vid. Mad car! I went in thinking I wouldn't even care about anything but the Cup car, but I like the other two better. Much more lively. The C-spec was a nice inclusion. I'm glad they did it. Just about splits the difference.

Hehe indeed. The track version is nicely planted - I jumped straight into a race (a very unwise idea in iRacing usually) and finished on the podium with very little drama. Most people seemed to be enjoying it, could be a very popular series.

GoaThief

Just subbed to iracing on a whim as it's half price and I've not played a sim in ages.

Any tips or suggestions, or anything I should know? :-D

Aiming to have a quick blast with a 360 controller tonight and dust off my DF GT tomorrow.

Just subbed to iracing on a whim as it's half price and I've not played a sim in ages.

Aiming to have a quick blast with a 360 controller tonight and dust off my DF GT tomorrow.
A few things spring to mind:

- watch the tutorials, it will help you get into the right frame of mind
- read the sporting code so you understand how the rating systems work and how to fast-track your progress out of Rookie class.
- don't spend a load of money on tracks and cars at the start - there is more than enough in the basic subscription to get you going, and there are certain ways to buy content economically once you have a better idea what you want from the service.
- visit the forum and read all the info on how to configure the sim for your hardware - certain things can make a big difference to how the sim feels (e.g. v-sync off).
- run Test mode to get comfortable for a while and to try out settings, before diving into your first race.
- in your first few races, the objective is to get out of Rookie class, not to win. Take it easy, don't battle too hard for positions, you just want to finish the race with minimal incidents. If you crash out, repair the car and finish the race, don't disconnect. Chances are other rookies will also crash out so you won't finish last.
- don't be put off by the driving standards in Rookie races. Once you're in Class D you'll start to find some very respectful racers.

Question: are there any 1960s Grand Prix racing sims, or sims that have more than a token Lotus, that will run on OS X natively? I absolutely loved Grand Prix Legends, but that was back in my Windows days.

Question: are there any 1960s Grand Prix racing sims, or sims that have more than a token Lotus, that will run on OS X natively? I absolutely loved Grand Prix Legends, but that was back in my Windows days.

There's one, iRacing. Founded by Dave Kaemmer creator of said GPL.

It's still only Lotus 49 however. No other makes. Token would be way too harsh for what's essentially the direct descendant of the Papy's masterpiece. Of course no period tracks, or driver names (or drivers of any kind), and all the differences of what iRacing is.

That's the good news. The bad news is wheel support is very poor in OSX. I'm not sure there's a single fully working wheel/pedal combo yet. I've actually played it with a 360 controller, but I wouldn't recommend counting on that to be your primary controller. Performance is pretty good however if they can ever get these companies to make some drivers. iRacing has pretty low sys requirements, so it does great on Apple internals.

If you're only looking to scratch an itch, sign up with this free 3 month promo and spend the $12 on the Lotus. Try it with a wheel if you've got one, or try a controller. If it doesn't work out, you're only out a few bucks.

I was a huge GPL fan too. I'm also a Mac user. I boot to Windows for all this stuff.

Grayman

I did ten laps in the track car, and then jumped straight into the RWD to try that. I mean how different can it be, right?

vvvveukcu.gif

Great vid. Mad car! I went in thinking I wouldn't even care about anything but the Cup car, but I like the other two better. Much more lively. The C-spec was a nice inclusion. I'm glad they did it. Just about splits the difference.

That gif was me trying to play the new gp bikes demo from last page without assists today.

Shaneus

Seems the RUF has a few kinks to work out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fudzFcRGX9Q

Love the sound of the RUF just not in this video 8)

It looks good too:

*Both video and picture taken from Overclockers AU 8)
Does it only do it on that one corner? I couldn't really tell if it happens anywhere else as well. Could be more a glitch with that track in combination with that car than just that car.

But you'd think they would've tested it... very odd.

TJP

Does it only do it on that one corner? I couldn't really tell if it happens anywhere else as well. Could be more a glitch with that track in combination with that car than just that car.
According to the Overclockers guys, the various RUF models drive pretty well but a few niggles that need to be sorted.

It felt like it had a rather high centre of gravity during my race in Montreal - attack those chicanes too hard and it starts to lean. I saw a couple of cars roll, but being an unofficial 'fun' race that wasn't a surprise - people were driving in a more carefree manner than normal, going side-by-side through the final chicane.

It just seems to roll by itself in the video though, and that corner doesn't seem to be particularly unusual in terms of camber...

MizzouRah

Any opinions on these things? http://www.microcenter.com/product/...T_Cockpit_430_Scuderia_Edition_for_PC_and_PS3 http://www.microcenter.com/product/...on_GT_Cockpit_458_Italia_Edition_For_Xbox_360

Was considering DFGT or G27 but saw it's in stock locally. My desk setup will be fairly difficult before I get some kind of stand so I figured I'd ask about it.

It looks to be a vibration-only wheel. Not true Force Feedback. I would go with the G27 for sure if you're in that price range.

Zeth

It looks to be a vibration-only wheel. Not true Force Feedback. I would go with the G27 for sure if you're in that price range.

That's what I thought, thanks! Think I might go with a DFGT, since my current setup will be fairly cluttered - I think having one less unit to mount might work out better for me at the moment, and I'm just getting into racing. edit: Agh, no clutch or paddle shifters? This makes things more difficult. Wait, it does have paddles. Ok I need to do some thinking.

That's what I thought, thanks! Think I might go with a DFGT, since my current setup will be fairly cluttered - I think having one less unit to mount might work out better for me at the moment, and I'm just getting into racing. edit: Agh, no clutch or paddle shifters? This makes things more difficult. Wait, it does have paddles. Ok I need to do some thinking.

As markao said in the other thread, the pedals are massively different, and that's probably the single most important piece of a setup. More so than even the wheel. Shifter, paddles, clutch, better wheel, etc etc, none of that stuff will have as big an impact as the hugely better pedal set of the G27. For a hundred bucks, the DFGT is good wheel however. You're just going to hitting up your local shop for some squash balls or bungie cords almost immediately to try and improve the pedals. On your way there you'll be lamenting your decision not to get the G27 ;-)

Morzak

Subscribed on Saturday so I'm still an absolute rookie :)
The Forums are a really good source for information, just go to the Road or Oval rookie car forums and there should be threads at the top that provide great information, also the tutorial videos on the Site are very helpful.

I thought that the Surviving Rookies youtube series is really helpful. It's all oval footage but it applies to road racing to, I'm still amazed at how people go full speed through yellow sectors.
Here is part one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U

As markao said in the other thread, the pedals are massively different, and that's probably the single most important piece of a setup. More so than even the wheel. Shifter, paddles, clutch, better wheel, etc etc, none of that stuff will have as big an impact as the hugely better pedal set of the G27. For a hundred bucks, the DFGT is good wheel however. You're just going to hitting up your local shop for some squash balls or bungie cords almost immediately to try and improve the pedals. On your way there you'll be lamenting your decision not to get the G27 ;-)

Honestly I couldn't imagine using worse pedals then the G27 ones, the break pedal there is already not that great, but it gets the job done.

_machine

How's the amount of single player content? My internet connection is pretty awful.
Pretty barren at the moment to be honest; the car selection is small though very good still and so is the track selection. It mostly depends on if driving around in some great cars with some of the best physics so far is enough to satisfy you for now then go for it, but don't expect much in terms longevity for now if just racing around by yourself isn't your thing. Me, I just picked it up and will probably wait for more content before delving deeper.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Pretty barren at the moment to be honest; the car selection is small though very good still and so is the track selection. It mostly depends on if driving around in some great cars with some of the best physics so far is enough to satisfy you for now then go for it, but don't expect much in terms longevity for now if just racing around by yourself isn't your thing. Me, I just picked it up and will probably wait for more content before delving deeper.

Ah ok. Sounds a bit risky for $30 for me then, thanks!

Finally had my first rollover. C-Spec at Spa, Bus Stop. I tried to hang on to it Gronholm style, but alas she ended up a flipper. Unbelievable combo though. So much fun. A good race at Gilles too. Mac and Track are a dead heat. If that's going to be a thing, it'll work well and be very, very popular.

There's one, iRacing. Founded by Dave Kaemmer creator of said GPL.

It's still only Lotus 49 however. No other makes. Token would be way too harsh for what's essentially the direct descendant of the Papy's masterpiece. Of course no period tracks, or driver names (or drivers of any kind), and all the differences of what iRacing is.

[...]

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that the iRacing staff were comprised of former Papyrus employees. Does iRacing hold the rights to GPL now? I always wondered why a sequel to such an amazing game was never made. I like modern racers too, but the 1960s GP cars with period tracks are just a special thing. Anyways, I'll look into iRacing...

Guys, ive just made a new quick video about my heavily modded SHIFT 2 install.
I know everyone is looking forward other games, but i wanted to show some traits of the game.
Ive followed Pazuzu9 advices in hope to make a better video.
just have fun guys!

If what im doing is not welcomed or anything like that, tell me and ill stop. I just make them for fun, nothing more, as i love the genre :(

Heres the link: http://youtu.be/33NuubBLFQk

PS: ive implemented, toward the finish of the video, the "dirt" lens effect as shown in that iRacing video. I think ive pretty much nailed it, so please at least take a look at it for the effect. Tell me what you think, looking forward to feedbacks!
EDIT: it may take a bit to have a 720p version online.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that the iRacing staff were comprised of former Papyrus employees. Does iRacing hold the rights to GPL now? I always wondered why a sequel to such an amazing game was never made. I like modern racers too, but the 1960s GP cars with period tracks are just a special thing. Anyways, I'll look into iRacing...

I would imagine Activision now owns the rights to the name. Sierra Entertainment was the original pub of course. However, Kaemmer bought the source code for the GPL/NR2003, and after a messy tussle with the mod community, turned it into iRacing. They've obviously done a lot of work to the engine, but the relationship is still recognizable.

People are still playing GPL though. It a small community but it's pretty active.

For sure it captured a lot of people's imaginations, mine included.

Not sure where this video should go...Team VVV's look at BugBear's Next Car Game tech demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HxMYN00Egk

Suffice to say the damage model is outstanding

Looks good.The tech demo looks very BeamNG. Not a bad thing at all.

(iRacing) Did a race tonight at Montreal with 40 Rufs. 40! You're never going to believe it, but there were wrecks ;-) All the wackos are out too like this guy:

666b6fcu.gif

A little late for a block there, bud.

TJP

Anyone know why AA doesn't work with GSC2013? It's driving me nuts.
Presuming you are an Nvidia user try either Nvidia inspector or the Nvidia cotrol panel and force the anti-aliasing type and amount of your choice. I find forcing 4xMSAA with 4xSSAA will get rid of the vast majority of jaggies but at a significant cost to the frame rate (unless you are using a beastly card or multiple GPU set-up). Dropping either SSAA or both down to 2x will be a much nicer option for the GPU hardware. I've no idea about ATI so I'll leave someone else to help on that side of GPU's.

In answer to your question regarding the anti-aliasing settings within all ISI based sims; ISI have never to my knowledge provided a definitive answer as to what AA levels 1 through 8 actually represents. I posed the same question to Tim Wheatley on the rF2 forums and got no response other than older members responding with 'you'll never get an answer from ISI - force AA through your videocard'.

I trust this helps 8)

Any flips? 8)

The guys at ISR seem to enjoy the RUF too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COZ-GFh8uqI

More flips than Cirque du Soleil, ...but none of them unprovoked ;) No glitch flips that I saw anyway. I haven't looked into it at all, but I'm guessing one of the ingredients might be full steering lock which, despite all the chicanes and curbs, you don't quite get in Montreal.

I need to find out what the deal is, so I can try to avoid making it happen again if at all possible.

Xanadu

Banned
guys my G25 has broken for the last time and i was wondering is it worth upgrading to the g27 or just get a second hand 25, the trouble is everywhere ive looked the g27 is like 300 pounds which is ridiculous considering you can get them new for like 200 dollars in the US

Morzak

The debris is incredibly detailed - looks great. If they hacked together some kind of UI like BeamNG they'd probably get quite a few sales out of this demo at $10 or so, heh. I know I'd get it.

Yeah I'd progably pay for that maybe not 10$ but it looks like some stupid fun and the damage looks great. Enjoyed the carnage and silliness of the flatout games.

So played some more of iRacing, slowly I'm getting used to the MX5 I'm still ways off the pace of the fast guys, but it's fun and mostly the races are fun and it's not as bad as some make it out to be in rookies (and I'm still in the lower 3rd of the splits). Made my first report though, last lap the guy in 2nd spun out and sat on the outside of the corner, then he rammed me as I was about to pass him... I really didn't see much of that on the road side, oval seems to be a bit more heated though.

Will have to see what I really want to race in the higher classes, and I'm not sure how much I can/want to spend on it.

it's not as bad as some make it out to be in rookies (and I'm still in the lower 3rd of the splits).
That's good to hear. I had a fine time in rookie class too, but I've read so many people being put off by bad experiences I tell people to expect the worst. As for what to do next, well I'd recommended the Skip series, as that's where I went. I had the intention of learning with it before going to faster cars, but I've stayed with the Skip - I have no urge to move on when the racing is so good here. Arguably the best community on iRacing. The support in the Skip forum is incredible.

Morzak

That's good to hear. I had a fine time in rookie class too, but I've read so many people being put off by bad experiences I tell people to expect the worst. As for what to do next, well I'd recommended the Skip series, as that's where I went. I had the intention of learning with it before going to faster cars, but I've stayed with the Skip - I have no urge to move on when the racing is so good here. Arguably the best community on iRacing. The support in the Skip forum is incredible.

Hm not a huge fan of open wheelers, but yeah the community there seems to be active maybe I will give the Spec Racer a whirl, since It's included.

I have the feeling it would help if they made the base setup of the MX-5 a bit more neutral. Especially in the lower splits it feels like people are way to occupied keeping that thing on the track. Got put into the highest split after I won my first race, man those guys are fast.....

ElementJJ

Banned
guys my G25 has broken for the last time and i was wondering is it worth upgrading to the g27 or just get a second hand 25, the trouble is everywhere ive looked the g27 is like 300 pounds which is ridiculous considering you can get them new for like 200 dollars in the US

Got mine from ebay a month ago £165 mint condition.

Hm not a huge fan of open wheelers, but yeah the community there seems to be active maybe I will give the Spec Racer a whirl, since It's included.

I have the feeling it would help if they made the base setup of the MX-5 a bit more neutral. Especially in the lower splits it feels like people are way to occupied keeping that thing on the track. Got put into the highest split after I won my first race, man those guys are fast.....

Spec Racer>Miata.

For whatever reason, the Miata has never jived that well with me. Both have the latest tire model, but I think the SRF has shown the bigger improvement. I would recommend trying it asap.

The Skippy, also with NTM5, is now one of the best cars in this, or any other sim. It's an absolute blast to drive and race. Unless you're really averse to anything but tintops, it's probably the best money you can spend in iRacing. Although, the Ruf may have something to say about that however....

Morzak

Spec Racer>Miata.

For whatever reason, the Miata has never jived that well with me. Both have the latest tire model, but I think the SRF has shown the bigger improvement. I would recommend trying it asap.

The Skippy, also with NTM5, is now one of the best cars in this, or any other sim. It's an absolute blast to drive and race. Unless you're really averse to anything but tintops, it's probably the best money you can spend in iRacing. Although, the Ruf may have something to say about that however....

Hm I will probably go for the SRF, the few laps I drove with it in test mode seemed fun, and way more relatable then the MX-5. Hm the skippy seems to be a real favorite will probably have to get it at one point.

Wanted to get my SR above 4 today, oh well I'm not moved anywhere, Sunday doesn't seem to be a good day.... last race a guy thought it is a good idea to try to outbreak on turn 5 in laguna.... But tomorrow is Promotion day so it really doesn't matter much.

Grayman

i guess the prices are up as its christmas, i just cant believe how much more expensive the g27 is here compared to america, and its out of stock almost everywhere anyway, weird

When I was getting mine about 2 years ago I was seeing hundred dollar price gaps between US and Canada. It was just insane.

Top Bottom