• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

I'll just keep quoting this...
Funny story (well, not really): I was playing the Dreamcast version of F355 Challenge via emulator on PC and I reckon that could well be the closest thing any console has to a driving sim. I can't tell if it's legitimately *better* than GT5/6 as far as realism goes, but I'm still in a state of being blown away by it. There's every chance that it does feel more realistic than any of the GT games... but I'm not in a position to tell for sure.

Darkdeus

Nasanu you must have had something set up wrong. The physics are definitely on par with Assetto Corsa. The ffb is amoung the best I've ever felt so you might want to figure out what is going wrong. I've never actually seen anyone in the sim community ever say anything bad about the physics either. It's generally praised as being among the best or the best in terms of physics and ffb.

amar212

Funny story (well, not really): I was playing the Dreamcast version of F355 Challenge via emulator on PC and I reckon that could well be the closest thing any console has to a driving sim. I can't tell if it's legitimately *better* than GT5/6 as far as realism goes, but I'm still in a state of being blown away by it. There's every chance that it does feel more realistic than any of the GT games... but I'm not in a position to tell for sure.

I am so glad in reading this.

Branson

OMG... I actually did try this game just now...Do you work for them or something? Everything in GSC is terrible! I dont know where to start really... And the physics.. those horrible physics. On par with Asetto Corsa? Were you high?

There is just nothing positive I can say about this game. It is delivered via a dodgy website requiring you to download 4 files like its 1999. Get it running and and the menus are the kind of quality of design you get from your average high school web design assignment. Then you you are hit with those shoddy graphics but that could be somewhat forgiven if the driving experience was at least average, but its not. Driving the street car (once you back out of the game and have figured out how to mess with the settings to make the wheel not turn violently by itself.. omg.) feels nothing at all like driving a car, and it take about 100 meters to stop with no feedback at all. I had to actually check the input displays to make sure my brake pedal was actually being picked up. Then there is the touring car with its funky suspension strangely bouncing and swaying yet also at other times very stiff.

Sorry but this game does not cut it. There is a part of me that wants to cut small time devs some slack but the truth is that they should not start something when they know full well they can not deliver and charging for it is just taking the piss.

Just because you've played AC doesn't mean you have any idea what you are talking about. The physics in GSC are great. That's FACT. Not opinion, FACT. Professional drivers even say so. The graphics aren't as high class as some other sims because of the engine it's running on but as far as that goes it has some of the better graphics in the mods that do run that engine. But if you know anything about sims then you know that's not everything. If you're a fan of sim racing and GSC is horrible to you, then something might actually be wrong with you. I wouldn't be defending these small devs unless they deserve it. Which they do. The fact that they can put out what they do and be considered among the top of the genre is a great accomplishment with the likes of iRacing being up at the top.

nasanu is just a troll, you would be best to just add him to your ignore list. It improves these sim threads substantially. He mucks up the GT6 thread as well. Just does drive-byes of absolute nonsense statements, has a huge bone to pick with PC sims, and says things that reek of trolling or someone who knows less than nothing about racing sim and/or race cars. Either way, it isn't worth your time responding. I have to imagine he is very young based on the tone of his many GT6 thread tirades. There is nothing to be won.

Trojan X

Banned
nasanu is just a troll, you would be best to just add him to your ignore list. It improves these sim threads substantially. He mucks up the GT6 thread as well. Just does drive-byes of absolute nonsense statements, has a huge bone to pick with PC sims, and says things that reek of trolling or someone who knows less than nothing about racing sim and/or race cars. Either way, it isn't worth your time responding. I have to imagine he is very young based on the tone of his many GT6 thread tirades. There is nothing to be won.

Wow. Well, based on this guy's review of Game Stock Car 2013, Nasanu just made himself look very stupid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXtfCe630p0

Branson

Damnit. Usually I never try to let it bother me heh. I just woke up and was like no fuck that. Ah well.

Megasoum

Banned
While he's clearly a troll, no question there however he's quite right about the website and distribution method.

The whole Reiza store/website is a complete mess. I took me almost 2 days to download GSC2012 last time I grabed it. The official link would always crap out halfway through and most mirrors didn't work. They really need to fix that.

Spookie

While he's clearly a troll, no question there however he's quite right about the website and distribution method.

The whole Reiza store/website is a complete mess. I took me almost 2 days to download GSC2012 last time I grabed it. The official link would always crap out halfway through and most mirrors didn't work. They really need to fix that.

Put it on Steam. Job done.

Megasoum

Banned
Well they get with the times or Sims become more insular, attract less talent and less get made.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree that it should be on steam. However, I've been on too many racing and flight sim forums in the past too see how some of those guys can been 15 years behind in everything related to technology.

Addnan

I hope Kunos and eventually SMS reveal sales stats and stuff, might give other sim devs a kick up their arse. I just want easy patching, reliable downloads and maybe even easy modding.

Megasoum

Banned
I hope Kunos and eventually SMS reveal sales stats and stuff, might give other sim devs a kick up their arse. I just want easy patching, reliable downloads and maybe even easy modding.

Yeah more sims need to get on Steam Workshop. Imagine how easy rf2 would be to manage if it was on the workshop!

TJP

OMG... I actually did try this game just now...Do you work for them or something? Everything in GSC is terrible! I dont know where to start really... And the physics.. those horrible physics. On par with Asetto Corsa? Were you high?
A decent trolling effort to elicit a terse response. As you mention the physics being 'terrible' clearly you don't know your elbow from your arsehole. If GSC is indeed terrible then the entire Race Department community who voted the two releases of GSC as their GOTY and other websites such as Inside Sim Racing, SimHQ, NoGrip - all giving GSC near universal praise - must all be high.

Go back to playing your beloved GT games on the PlayStation as clearly you cannot appreciate anything other than that series.

I asked Reiza on RaceDepartment - which is home to the GSC official forums - about the lack of download mirrors and perhaps using a torrent next time. Reiza agreed to look into more download mirrors and Reiza will be releasing a torrent file next time. Further, the kind folks at RD provided a very fast download links which I posted here. Ask and ye shall receive etc..

Put it on Steam. Job done.
Any Reiza titles have to be 'greenlit' first and good luck with that process.

I just want easy patching, reliable downloads and maybe even easy modding.
If it's done right on Steam the patching process is a doddle; problems arise when developer thinks a patch is a full game download like SimBin tends to do with its RRE updates.

That said, the latest version of GSC has a file downloading function suitable called "GSC Sync" which works fantastically well. It's not a Steam replacement; it's a solid alternative to downloading executable patch files.

Morzak

Just ignore nasanu, his post history speak for itself.........

As far as GSC goes, yes the homepage isn't great and that there isn't a complete package to download isn't good, but the dl speed was decent for me (and I'm someone that doesn't like the current steam performance one bit, it's extremely unstable). As far as physics are concerned it's damn good and the AI is actually fun to race against (more then I can say for most other games). The FFB is just great. The graphics are serviceable and honestly the only time I really need uber graphics in Racing games is for replays, during driving I'm not really getting much of it (at least after AA worked). I still have to find a sweet spot with the graphics a 20 car field can still cause some heavy drops which lead to some stutter.

Damn I just don't have any time to put into AC/GSC/iRacing this holidays which is a shame..

Spookie

Any Reiza titles have to be 'greenlit' first and good luck with that process.

Games are getting greenlit at a record pace these days with 100 at a time. While 89 of them are derivative "survival horror" horseshit, one of the rest could well be GSC2014.

I don't understand the Greenlight process - they say it's not a specific number of votes required, rather how it compares in popularity to other titles.... could they be any more vague?

TJP

Games are getting greenlit at a record pace these days with 100 at a time. While 89 of them are derivative "survival horror" horseshit, one of the rest could well be GSC2014.
Haha!

I thought Kunos had a hard time getting AC greenlit for some reason; clearly I'm wrong with that thought. Either way, it's reassuring to know the greenlight process is somewhat faster nowadays.

nasanu

Banned
Yeah great sim where you can't even lock up the brakes in a touring car. If they have very effective ABS on brazilian TCs then let me know, but it seems completely unrealistic to me.

And you guys have one massive problem to deal with. It is very clear that you guys think both AC and the pos GSC are both 100% realistic. But they are both very, very different in their suspension models. So tell me, which is the unrealistic game, Assetto Corsa or GSC? They are both different so both cant be accurate. But you are all just going to either ignore this or deflect it with insults or something else right?

BTW I am uploading a video of the rubbish force feedback. I just installed the game, loaded the t500rs preset then went to the track. You will see that happens when the video finishes uploading. Also what is not shown on that video is that the gear up and gear down paddles are on the wrong sides.

nasanu

Banned
I don't understand the Greenlight process - they say it's not a specific number of votes required, rather how it compares in popularity to other titles.... could they be any more vague?

Certainly they could. It is written in plain English, what is so hard for you to understand? Shall I spell it out for you?

Steam does not want just a few types of games dominating their store. If games were greenlit simply based on volume of votes then most of the games would just be FPS titles. Instead they are going for a strategy of approving leaders of genre/niches.

Darkdeus

There's probably no point in arguing with you but it's not just us that say GSC 2013 is extremely realistic. 99% of the sim community agrees that it is along with real race car drivers who play the game so who do you think might be right? You've probably haven't spent more than an hour with the game and it doesn't sound like you have the ffb set up correctly. If you can't lock the brakes you may not have turned any driving aids off because you easily can. Go here and ask for help with your wheel instead of posting videos for us.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/game-stock-car-2013.77/

For the stock cars set your wheel to 540 degrees and in game steering lock to 22-24.

Also some data to back up the realism claims. Game telemetry vs real telemtry for the mini cooper: http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/3496/221520_10151126097602743_1210099457_o.jpg

Race Car Driver Rubens Barrichello who trains with the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LAzNN-ov1U

I'm sure you know more than him about the cars and physics though right?

nasanu

Banned
There's probably no point in arguing with you but it's not just us that say GSC 2013 is extremely realistic. 99% of the sim community agrees that it is along with real race car drivers who play the game so who do you think might be right? You've probably haven't spent more than an hour with the game and it doesn't sound like you have the ffb set up correctly. If you can't lock the brakes you may not have turned any driving aids off because you easily can. Go here and ask for help with your wheel instead of posting videos for us.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/game-stock-car-2013.77/

For the stock cars set your wheel to 540 degrees and in game steering lock to 22-24.

Also some data to back up the realism claims. Game telemetry vs real telemtry for the mini cooper: http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/gallery/3496/221520_10151126097602743_1210099457_o.jpg

Race Car Driver Rubens Barrichello who trains with the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LAzNN-ov1U

I'm sure you know more than him about the cars and physics though right?

OMG... Don't quote marketing at me, you are as bad as the iRacing fanboys. The drivers are PAID to play. Anyway shall I dig up some quotes of Lewis Hamilton and Damon Hill
who have both said they use playstation F1 games to learn tracks? OMG the codemasters F1 games are the most realistic of all!! lol.

And of course I have turned driving aids off. I will accept that my wheel settings are totally screwed, but is it too much to ask for the games own preset for my wheel to actually work with the wheel? Maybe this is the cause of most of the issues, I have no proof that its taking my pedal inputs correctly either. But I should not have to go searching the internet for settings when the game already knows exactly what my wheel is.

Shawsie64

Banned
You ever thought that maybe the issue is with you and not the game?

Just sayin...

Considering that you think that the game is shit because your paddles are not mapped properly then my theory is pointing that way.

Its strange that someone with a T500 and a PC capable of sim racing, with all the setup and messing with configurations PC sim racing entails would complain about having their gear paddles mis-mapped and their FFB reversed .

nasanu

Banned
Considering that you think that the game is shit because your paddles are not mapped properly then my theory is pointing that way.

No, I think it is shit because it has a shit ui, shit graphics, shit sound, shit content, a strange suspension model and I have to make my own wheel preset to replace the official wheel preset.. You just have no standards.

nasanu

Banned
Its strange that someone with a T500 and a PC capable of sim racing, with all the setup and messing with configurations PC sim racing entails would complain about having their gear paddles mis-mapped and their FFB reversed .

It is because you guys find this totally acceptable... It is so sad. You make all the excuses under the sun for shit developers. What, you don't want to search the net to find setting to get a game to work properly? Thats just lazy, you can't expect developers to release games that work, they are not supermen!

Megasoum

Banned
No, I think it is shit because it has a shit ui, shit graphics, shit sound, shit content, a strange suspension model and I have to make my own wheel preset to replace the official wheel preset.. You just have no standards.

How do you know that the game has shit suspension model if you can't even use your wheel?

It is because you guys find this totally acceptable... It is so sad. You make all the excuses under the sun for shit developers. What, you don't want to search the net to find setting to get a game to work properly? Thats just lazy, you can't expect developers to release games that work, they are not supermen!

Having your FFB inverted is the oldest trick in the biz... That setting has been in every gMotor game for the last 10-15years... It's always the first thing that anybody try if the FFB appears to be fucked.... We're not making excuses, we just have a minimum of iniative...

Darkdeus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhyblsX6hw

Awesome FFB in GSC2013! And with their own preset...

Of course you can mess blindly with the settings to stop that, but then the wheel has almost no feel at all.

It's obviously reversed. You really thought that's how it's supposed to be? Go to the ffb strength and if it's at 100% change it to -100. If it's at -100 change it to 100. Also make sure effects are at medium, speed sensitivity is off etc. Again try 540 degrees with your wheel and 22 steering lock in game and see how the ffb feels.

Someone else with similar problems: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/7506-t500rs-wheel-settings/
Notice how he immediately does not say the game is shit but tries to fix it.

Shawsie64

Banned

In my 15 years of sim racing I am yet to find a sim on the PC that works 100% out of the box with my setup. Its how PC/Sim gaming works. There are just so many different setups and peripherals on the market to have everything work for everyone straight out the box. It took me 5 mins to setup GSC and every other sim I play (iRacing, AC, RBR) require some degree of setting up, some more than others. But hey thats why I love PC sim racing, I love that I can dial in my wheel to feel EXACTLY how I want it, I love getting my FOV just right and love adjusting graphics options to get me the ideal FPS.

Good developers know this and make it easy for sim racers to tinker with settings to their hearts content and quite frankly I'd be more disappointed if sim developers went 'Apple-esque' and only had predefined setups. If you don't like tinkering that's fine, but this thread is full of people who like to tinker and play with settings so expect to be called out if you complain about having your FFB reversed and button mapping setup wrong.

nasanu

Banned
Obviously that is not how it is supposed to be! That was my whole point.

Anyway turning it up to 100% makes it better, but with abs off I still cant lock the wheels and I can't find anywhere to adjust steering degree?... Surely I don't have to do this in the thrustmaster control panel?

Darkdeus

Start a race session and then go to Garage 1 to change the steering lock. I like how it feels at 24 for the stock cars. The ffb should feel much better once you have the proper degrees and lock. Also the gas and brakes go into the controls and set them again by binding them and pressing down on each pedal. When I first got the game the slightest tap of the brakes would lock them before I did this so maybe you're having an issue too.

nasanu

Banned
Start a race session and then go to Garage 1 to change the steering lock. I like how it feels at 24 for the stock cars. The ffb should feel much better once you have the proper degrees and lock. Also the gas and brakes go into the controls and set them again by binding them and pressing down on each pedal. When I first got the game the slightest tap of the brakes would lock them before I did this so maybe you're having an issue too.

I just reinstalled the game and did that. I had to reinstall because the game would only let me drive formula cars from underneath them...

Anyway I the 10 mins I got before my time was up it did feel much better than the other times. The mini actually stopped responding to steering inputs when the fronts were locked which was a nice change from the other touring car. But it still didn't feel up to the level of AC, more like iRacing with a better tyre model and random floty movements of the suspension. Even if you can tweak this game to feel right its never going to be a professional piece of software, it is however a great example of how low the bar is set.

Dilly

Banned
Ah, the magic of the ignore list. It's like reading VirtualR comments.

There are some amazing GIF's on the WMD forum from pCARS.
ib1G7U9xTNMF6Y.gif

Spookie

I really wish they would upgrade junior accounts for Project CARS. It's bloody frustrating not being able to drive any of the new cars. :(

Shaneus

I am so glad in reading this.
I only wish that I was into sim-racing earlier, or that game was around later. I even own it on DC (had it when it came out) but never appreciated it beyond how good it looked (and it still stands up okay today for what it is, IMO). I might muck around with emulating the PS2 version to see if it will look any prettier.

Looks to have only been beaten to the punch as one of the first proper "sims" (in that it was a decent looking game that wasn't just a pretty face), having only come out 12 months after GPL.

Massive cajones on Sega and Suzuki for not only releasing that as a home title but firstly as a 3-screened arcade monster. Love to see a proper port of it (or even emulation of the arcade with wheel support).

Zeknurn

Do you guys reckon that a Fanatec CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals and a CSR Shifter is worth 243$? One year old and used but in "mint" condition. Another option would be to get a new G27 for 300$

I only wish that I was into sim-racing earlier, or that game was around later. I even own it on DC (had it when it came out) but never appreciated it beyond how good it looked (and it still stands up okay today for what it is, IMO).
F355 Challenge was the reason I purchased the Dreamcast. I think the narrow FOV put many people off though, as it lacked a sense of speed.
I might muck around with emulating the PS2 version to see if it will look any prettier.
It certainly didn't look as crisp on the PS2, but maybe you can tweak the visuals in the emulator.

UK based sim-gaffers (or anyone planning to be in the UK around the the end of August 2014), would you be interested in participating in a real-life endurance race? Not just any old endurance race however, but the prestigious 2CV 24hour.

As you may know, even though it's a shitty old 2CV, racing is not cheap and spreading costs amongst four of us would still mean paying around £1500-1800 each. However, this would include the purchase of a racing 2CV, which could then be sold after the event for pretty much the same value it was 24 hours earlier.

Some other things to consider:
-we won't win.
-you'll need to get fit
-you'd get 6 hours racing for your money (pleeeaase don't crash on lap 1).
-you'd have to take an ARDS license test to get a National B racing license
-helmet, gloves, boots and suit will need to be bought/borrowed.
-even though I've racing experience, I've not raced for 9 years.
-even though I've driving experience, I've not driven a car for 5 years. Japan's public transport is too good.
-even though there's a practice session, it might be worth having a trackday together to familiarise ourselves with the car beforehand.
-as expensive as it may be, it's an enormous amount of fun and still cheaper than spending 24 hours with hookers and coke.
-the event isn't taken that seriously and everyone helps each other out when mechanical problems arise. And arise they will.
-impress peers/dates by telling them you're a racing driver.
-it's occasionally televised. Let's get some GAF sponsorship!
-famous drivers (The Stig for instance) have attended in the past, so you might meet a hero or two.
-a whopping 49bhp will be under your right foot.
-600fps, infinite detail, 360º vision, 1080000p, no blue shells and better driving physics than F1 2013!

Obviously £1500-1800 + ARDS + helmet, racesuit etc a huge chuck of money to 'waste' on a weekend in times of austerity, but it's probably the cheapest £/minute of circuit racing possible.

Note that I've yet to decide if I'll be attending (as Snetterton is quite some distance from Japan) but should know around March. That being said, is anyone on GAF interested in joining me? Or a hookers and coke more your thing?

TJP

Ahhhh, that explains why my GSC2013 doesn't look like that lol.
Funny you should mention GSC 2013. I was re-reading some of Niels Heusinkveld comments about rFactor, rF2 and Assetto Corsa and what the future might hold for the GSC series. Niels made a comment rFactor: "is good enough for real GP2 / F3 teams when handled properly, beating some ultra expensive 'pro' simulators the real drivers tried. People really somehow think rF1 is crap / dead but from a physics POV it just isn't". This explains why GSC uses rFactor despite its age. rFactor Pro (stated by ISI to be used by F1 & NASCAR teams) was created by ISI in partnership with an unnamed F1 team and many of the improvments may have trickled down into rFactor prior to work on rF2 commencing.

Neils also added that rF2 and Assetto Corsa will be evaluated in the future and "whatever sim has the best physics models to work with in a 'easy to use' (relative) way, that'll be the mod platform of tomorrow" I take that to mean we may see GSC (and Formula Truck) running on a different platform sometime soon.

For me pCARS is the best looking sim currently on the PC however AC is no slouch and rF2 can look great in the right hands. GSC 2014 would looks fantastic running in either AC or rF2.

I only wish that I was into sim-racing earlier, or that game was around later. I even own it on DC (had it when it came out) but never appreciated it beyond how good it looked (and it still stands up okay today for what it is, IMO). I might muck around with emulating the PS2 version to see if it will look any prettier.
MSR and F355 were two excellent reasons to own a DC.

Do you guys reckon that a Fanatec CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals and a CSR Shifter is worth 243$? One year old and used but in "mint" condition. Another option would be to get a new G27 for 300$
Despite their so-so reputation for reliability and after sales care, I'd go with the Fanatec as it's better all-round equipment. The G27 is almost bullet proof and the after sales care is A1 but the FFB mechanism isn't anywhere near the strength or quality of either the T500 from Thrustmaster or the Fanatec wheels. These wheels are both belt driven versus gear driven for the G27.

Top Bottom