• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Just in the process of getting my rig set up bit by bit. It'll take some time to to adjust all the graphics settings and FOV's but here's my first triple screen video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJZmvdxzQk

Now onto an iRacing test with the open wheel cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2UVJ1_dUak

Great stuff. Such a nice setup!

RE: auto-clutch/auto-blip

There's almost always a benefit from running without these. It's just a matter of mastering the techniques. It'll be up to you to decide if you want to add another layer of complexity now, or if you'd rather give away a little bit of time to get yourself acclimated and comfortable. There is no wrong answer, but it goes without saying you want to be sussed before running races. That half a second bonus isn't going to be much help if you're in the gravel because you locked the rears.

These things seem to change a bit over the years, but I think your best bet with the Star Mazda is flat upshifts, and manually blipping the throttle on downs. So that's turning off ac/ab. The Skippy has it's own shifting techniques as well. Lift on upshift, blip on down seems to be the easiest method right now.

Of course adding a clutch into the mix, whether that's with a pedal or a button, will give you further options which may, or may not be better.

You'll need a mapped clutch for standing starts anyway, so you might as well tinker around with it to see if it's worth incorporating it into your driving.

As always the iRacing forums are chocked with info, so dig around there to get the best and most updated info.

I did the same thing. Just revisited their Youtube channel in the past few days as I was looking for videos on Assetto Corsa. Anyways, one of the videos I saw was Shaun interviewing Tommy Kendall which was really fun to watch....hopefully Shaun pops up with his own Youtube channel at some point.

That would be great. Darin is just interested in making money and getting free stuff.

We all know who we really want back on the show ;-)

The twins!!!

Zeth

Messed around with GSC for a few hours and still have no clue how to get my G27 working with it. I've messed with everything - cannot get it to feel even close to "normal". Am I spoiled my AC? I'm looking for maybe a premade setup/profile that I can use as a baseline or point of reference.

Messed around with GSC for a few hours and still have no clue how to get my G27 working with it. I've messed with everything - cannot get it to feel even close to "normal". Am I spoiled my AC? I'm looking for maybe a premade setup/profile that I can use as a baseline or point of reference.

I'm sure there are countless other posts, but try following what this guy has to say.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/best-ffb-settings.80571/

VVV Mars VG

Great stuff. Such a nice setup!

RE: auto-clutch/auto-blip

There's almost always a benefit from running without these. It's just a matter of mastering the techniques. It'll be up to you to decide if you want to add another layer of complexity now, or if you'd rather give away a little bit of time to get yourself acclimated and comfortable. There is no wrong answer, but it goes without saying you want to be sussed before running races. That half a second bonus isn't going to be much help if you're in the gravel because you locked the rears.

These things seem to change a bit over the years, but I think your best bet with the Star Mazda is flat upshifts, and manually blipping the throttle on downs. So that's turning off ac/ab. The Skippy has it's own shifting techniques as well. Lift on upshift, blip on down seems to be the easiest method right now.

Of course adding a clutch into the mix, whether that's with a pedal or a button, will give you further options which may, or may not be better.

You'll need a mapped clutch for standing starts anyway, so you might as well tinker around with it to see if it's worth incorporating it into your driving.

As always the iRacing forums are chocked with info, so dig around there to get the best and most updated info.

Thanks for that, on this occasion I didn't want to use a clutch pedal as moving from clutch to F1 in the pace of an hour confuses my brain :) so I'll get back to the foot clutch when I'm in the MX 5, will use an H-shifter and take my time getting back up to speed. Though Neil will be the quick one.

Its good to finally have a strong rig and all of the equipment I need to cover every aspect of the racing genre.

Thanks for that, on this occasion I didn't want to use a clutch pedal as moving from clutch to F1 in the pace of an hour confuses my brain :) so I'll get back to the foot clutch when I'm in the MX 5, will use an H-shifter and take my time getting back up to speed. Though Neil will be the quick one.

Its good to finally have a strong rig and all of the equipment I need to cover every aspect of the racing genre.

Yeah, it's not easy switching between cars especially when you're trying to get yourself settled. Information overload!

I'm excited to see how your channel evolves. It's a great time to really bring PC sims into the fold with lots of quality content out there for you to explore.

Oh yeah, hat tip for having Murray's Magic Moments displayed on your set! I got my NTSC copy mail-order out of the back of F1 Racing via Duke Video many moons ago. I've probably watched it 100 times! An all-time favorite.

Thanks, I'll start there and see if I can manage something that feels good. Apologies for the dumb question, I now know I need to bookmark RaceDepartment. Everything I try searching leads to the same place usually - seems like a good resource.

Oh no worries, not a dumb question at all.

Chasing ffb settings is unfortunately a necessary evil. Nothing ever works as well as it should right out of the box. Not GSC, not iRacing, not AC, not nothin' :) We all wish it wasn't that way, but it's just part of the deal. Buy sim, spend the next two hours researching how to get the best out of your wheel. It's never not like that.

Zeth

Wheel settings can be maddening for sure. Luckily I've got it working fairly well for GSC at the moment (thanks for the link). The karts are brilliant! I will definitely be putting some time into this one.

Shaneus

Just watched that VVV video... holy hell, that's a lot of monitor! What are they... 27"?

I need to upgrade my GPUs... and either buy two more monitors or an Oculus.

Shaneus

Yeah, I can imagine there are just some games that play better with pads, even driving ones. I suspect all the recent NFS games qualify, definitely as well as Driver SF (and let's not forget F1 2012, which wasn't designed with wheels in mind at all, stupid Codies).

Absolutely. I loved Driver SF, the 'shifting' mechanic never got old - I can't imagine it would work well with a wheel. And with Next Car Game, it's all about watching the damage/destruction, which you can see better in chase cam, and a bent hood can obstruct the cockpit view anyway.

chrislowe

Just bought Asseto Corsa on Steam, hope its good :)
Installing now, and Lotus 49 will be my first car to try out, loved it in Grand Prix Legends.

Also hoping my old Geforce 560 will handle the graphics.

VVV Mars VG

Curious to know if iRacing is sponsoring all your content or are you actually paying for it? I've become somewhat suspicious of Youtube after the recent XBone revelations.

In slightly off topic news, that Next Car Game is awfully fun. I can't for the life of me work out how to connect my wheel up though.

I get press access but rest assured opinions are not bought. Better to be honest, we have a very discerning motorsport audience who would soon cry bullshit at the hint of any sales speak.

The wheels on NGC is a mystery, one minute it wasn't working, next it was.

Ballsed up the pitstop! Fuel wasn't set to go in so I was franticly clicking away so lost a few seconds there... then my car felt really weird after, I think I just wasn't used to the extra fuel load (we don't normally have to pit in the Skip series), and I spun pretty much immediately. Recovered and finished 11th in the end. Oh well, all good fun :)

Ballsed up the pitstop! Fuel wasn't set to go in so I was franticly clicking away so lost a few seconds there... then my car felt really weird after, I think I just wasn't used to the extra fuel load (we don't normally have to pit in the Skip series), and I spun pretty much immediately. Recovered and finished 11th in the end. Oh well, all good fun :)

Nice work! What, did you forget to slip the director a fiver? ;-) I can't believe you didn't end up with more camera time!

Thanks! I just watched the race, was surprised I got as much camera time as I did! There was a good bit at around 31:10, where I lose a position, and then they cut away just as it gets interesting, miss my overtake, and then they cut back just in time to show me getting passed again >_<

There's a Spec Racer Big Grid tomorrow which might also be broadcast so I'll try to do better in that...

TJP

Game StockCar 2013 Review by Inside Sim Racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olxBCWGFp4

From the ISR website: http://www.insidesimracing.tv/reviews/game-stockcar-2013-gsc-2013-full-review/

Physics
The best on this engine to date in my opinion. The cars feel connected to the pavement and the force feedback goes right along with it.

Graphics
They&#8217;ve gotten better with age considering the dated engine and only using DX9 rendering technology. Some of the best field of view settings in all of sim racing right out of the box. Would love to see this title on an updated graphics engine

Sounds
Some of the best in sim racing! From the time you enter the garage, to how the engines fires up , or even as it&#8217;s prepping to fire, to the moment you shut down, it&#8217;s incredible. The sounds help translate the raw horsepower and rigidity of the cars. There&#8217;s not one car in this title that doesn&#8217;t sound right

Tracks
Except for Interlagos, I&#8217;ve never heard of most of these and unless you follow the Brazilian Stock Car Series, or live in Brazil, I doubt you have either. I tested every track using the Formula 3 cars since they are easy and fun to drive. Default setup with 30 Degrees of rotation and 15 liters of fuel

Most or all of them are really fun tracks to learn and drive. A lot of them aren&#8217;t very long, but offer a good challenge. It also includes a handful of street courses that are a blast to tackle.

Force Feedback
Probably the best this game engine has to offer. It uses &#8220;Real Feel&#8221; technology and it really dialed into the physics engine.

Sim Vibe
Feels incredible with GSC 2013. You can feel the rumple strips, bumps, etc. Of course it&#8217;s full tailor-able to your liking.

AI

This game engine isn&#8217;t known for great AI, but they have done a great job making it competitive. Is it perfect? No.. But what AI will ever be able to mimic a humans behavior.

Multiplayer
The best and pretty much only way to experience multiplayer is in a league format. The multiplayer lobbies are usually a ghost town if you&#8217;re looking to race against a himan any time of the day. In a league environment it woks great if you&#8217;re on a solid server with lots of bandwidth.

Modability
This title has a lot of mods available since it uses the rFactor game engine which adds more life to it beyond the base content

Damage
Very well done.. Parts fall off of your car, and you can even catch it on fire.

Presentation
A little dated and bland compared to say Assetto Corsa. Im sure due in part to the dated game engine. It does the job though.

Cost
Probably the best bang for the buck in sim racing right now

Pros:
Great physics engine tied to strong accurate force feedback
Takes the ISI rFactor engine to the highest level possible. IMO, the best use of this engine to date
Lots of content for little price
Series gets better with age
Modding community

Cons:
Dated game engine
Only able to have 3 controllers plugged in simultaneously
Track data not listed.. Had to go to the &#8220;GDB&#8221; file in the games locations directory to find the info (darin actually means track length).
Can&#8217;t drive kart on all tracks and vice versa
User interface is a little dated

As Darin couldn't set-up his wheel properly for whatever reason, here is the FAQ from Reiza: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/gsc2013-faq.78951/

gibbsy24

I jumped into GSC for the first time in a while and was testing out the Opala. Everytime I tap the brakes the rear tires swing out. I tried messing with brake bias and a couple other settings but couldn't fix it completely. Anyone have any tips for this car?

Edit: Did some more tweaking and got it drivable. Pretty fun car now that I'm getting used to it.

vanty

Are the Fanatec CSR Elite pedals massively superior to the regular CSR pedals for a first time wheel user?

Decided to get a wheel and Fanatec have a deal on their Australian site for a CSR wheel and pedals for $300 instead of full $350 price, plus the stand it's $450. To get the wheel, stand and the Elite pedals it'll be $600 since there's no package discount.

They have a $600 package for the GT2 wheel with stand and Elite pedals but from what I can tell the CSR wheel is newer and superior in every way except the feel of the rim.

I'm just thinking of getting the regular CSR pedals for now unless there's something wrong with them. Right now I'd only be playing Forza 4 and Assetto Corsa.

Game StockCar 2013 Review by Inside Sim Racing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2olxBCWGFp4

From the ISR website: http://www.insidesimracing.tv/reviews/game-stockcar-2013-gsc-2013-full-review/

As Darin couldn't set-up his wheel properly for whatever reason, here is the FAQ from Reiza: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/gsc2013-faq.78951/

Would have been nice if he drove/touched on the improvements in 2013. Might as well watch the 2012 review.

He quickly has gone 0 for 2 this week. Early access to iRacing's first 4WD car? Mentions almost nothing about 4WD.

I'll happily cut him some slack. Just refocus on doing informative content.

I must say, even though it's a shame that Shaun isn't there anymore, Darin seems more comfortable in presenting these things on his own. When they used to chat back and forth, trying to be methodical about splitting reviews into categories, it always struggled to flow. The number of times they've said something like 'ooh I'm getting towards my Final Thoughts now', interrupting themselves, instead of talking about the category they were in...

Darin is just rambling on his own now, and while it's not as methodical, with random observations as he drives, I find it less painful to listen to (whether you agree with his opinions or not).

It would be interesting to see Shaun doing some stuff on his own too.

I'm pretty pleased with that :) 7th with only 3 incidents is clean for a 45 minute race. Most cars looked very 'second hand' as the commentator said, mine just needs a little wipe down ;)

I almost missed the start, PC needed to reboot. It meant that I missed the messages before gridding, and I got off the line really well before remembering that we were asked not to make passes immediately last time (and there I was, passing the event organiser!). I wasn't sure whether that rule was in play, so was hesitating, tried to let him pass again and it just caused gaps to open when we should have been all close together.

That Lopez guy with aero damage managed to stay with me for ages, shame they missed our three wide with Luca (organiser) at one point. He's incredibly quick, I believe he was on pole. In the end I think he was pushing too hard.

What a finish up front, I've never seen +0.000 on the timings before! And a great broadcast - a superb advert for iRacing from start to finish.

As for my livery, it's just a standard paint job - I picked the GAF orange, white and grey as my three colours and then picked a skin that looked most suitable. There is a 'trading paints' software that you can load and share proper liveries - some of the cars had custom jobs in this race, but I haven't experimented with it yet. Maybe I'll do a proper one for the next big race :)

Trading Paints is great if you haven't used it before. They just updated it too, and it's even better. Very easy to just browse the free paints and apply them to your cars. I have no attachment to any of the ones I use, so some GAF ones would be very welcome.

The templates are easy enough to use, it's just my photoshop skills aren't exactly world class. I'll try to whip something up myself anyway, and will happily share what I come up with.

I guess the season 1 update hasn't gone so smoothly, has it? I got 10 minutes with the NTM5 Ford GT (finding it much improved) before the iRacing servers crapped. Itching to see how much the new tires helped the other cars too.

Raknar

Neo Member

I'm number 107 at the start of the video. The green car just in front of the lead pack.

A couple of cars span out on lap 1, just before turn 2 and I couldn't stop in time. My car was ruined and I came out of the pits a lap down.

My 5 seconds of fame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu412mSFr1M&feature=share&t=1h8m33s

Looking forward to racing in the GT3 series when the servers are back up. Did a bit of practicing last night on Road Atlanta. I'm doing pretty consistent 1:19's in the MP4 now. The car feels great, but it's acting pretty strange on certain curbs.

I'm number 107 at the start of the video. The green car just in front of the lead pack.

A couple of cars span out on lap 1, just before turn 2 and I couldn't stop in time. My car was ruined and I came out of the pits a lap down.

My 5 seconds of fame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu412mSFr1M&feature=share&t=1h8m33s

Looking forward to racing in the GT3 series when the servers are back up. Did a bit of practicing last night on Road Atlanta. I'm doing pretty consistent 1:19's in the MP4 now. The car feels great, but it's acting pretty strange on certain curbs.
Nice celebratory weave :)

I haven't driven the MP4 for a while, it never felt like a car to me, more like a hovercraft. Now it feels like a car... but a bouncy one. It was only a brief test at Lime Rock with the baseline setup, but it immediately seemed more bouncy than before. And yeah... it really doesn't like kerbs!

Watevaman

So the TH8RS is back in stock at Amazon but I'm definitely reserved about having to pay that much for a shifter. And then I'd have to figure out how to mount it to my Playseat. Does anyone have any homemade shifter mounts or would I need to buy the G27 shifter mount and use that?

I've always been interested in SIM racing, don't really know where to start now that i got a G27 as a gift for my birthday.

Right now i'm trying to find a confortable set-up... Cant play with my computer chair, because i roll back all the time, regular chair are a paint after 30mins. Any recommendation?

Thanks

Darkdeus

I've always been interested in SIM racing, don't really know where to start now that i got a G27 as a gift for my birthday.

Right now i'm trying to find a confortable set-up... Cant play with my computer chair, because i roll back all the time, regular chair are a paint after 30mins. Any recommendation?

Thanks

I had the same problem when I upgraded to clubsports v2s so I took the wheels off the chair and bought a bunch of sticky rubber furniture pads. You can get them for cheap at lowes or home depot. It works great. The chair does not move at all!

I had the same problem when I upgraded to clubsports v2s so I took the wheels off the chair and bought a bunch of sticky rubber furniture pads. You can get them for cheap at lowes or home depot. It works great. The chair does not move at all!
I did exactly this too!

mkenyon

Banned
I'm sure this is covered somewhere in here, but just a quick question. Looking to buy a racing wheel. I'd like to use this for GT6 while I patiently wait for Project Cars. I'm not shy to spending good money, but this is something that will probably be used for intense short periods of a few weeks, rather than regularly. Not a racing guy primarily, but I get deep into a sim every year or so.

That being said, I'm leaning towards the Logitech G27. Please advise.

Top Bottom