• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in here, but just a quick question. Looking to buy a racing wheel. I'd like to use this for GT6 while I patiently wait for Project Cars. I'm not shy to spending good money, but this is something that will probably be used for intense short periods of a few weeks, rather than regularly. Not a racing guy primarily, but I get deep into a sim every year or so.

That being said, I'm leaning towards the Logitech G27. Please advise.
I guess the alternatives to the G27 (for using with GT6 and potentially PC/PS4 later) would be either a starter bundle from Fanatec (e.g. GT3 RS+CSR Elite pedals) or a Thrustmaster T500RS. Both would be more expensive, and both can justify their price tags for different reasons... which I could go into if you're interested.

As drugstore_cowboy says, the G27 is a solid choice. Options become more complicated (or more interesting, if you're so inclined) when you start looking above G27 level.

Darkdeus

I'm sure this is covered somewhere in here, but just a quick question. Looking to buy a racing wheel. I'd like to use this for GT6 while I patiently wait for Project Cars. I'm not shy to spending good money, but this is something that will probably be used for intense short periods of a few weeks, rather than regularly. Not a racing guy primarily, but I get deep into a sim every year or so.

That being said, I'm leaning towards the Logitech G27. Please advise.

I would consider the DFGT. It's a great wheel for the price but doesn't have the best pedals. I"m using it and clubsport v2 pedals though and it's a great combination.

Shaneus

That reminds me... and I figured I'd ask here. Anyone know if it'd be possible to extend the length of the shifter on a G27? I just have a feeling it'd feel a lot better if it had a longer throw on it.

That reminds me... and I figured I'd ask here. Anyone know if it'd be possible to extend the length of the shifter on a G27? I just have a feeling it'd feel a lot better if it had a longer throw on it.

I think the easiest way would be to put a taller knob on it.

It's just that I'm not entirely sure that would make it feel better without some internal mods (which are easy to read up on if you Google it). It would add more leverage, which in turn might make it feel even more floppy.

I don't own one, so I can't really say, but that's what I'd imagine would happen.

mkenyon

Banned
I guess the alternatives to the G27 (for using with GT6 and potentially PC/PS4 later) would be either a starter bundle from Fanatec (e.g. GT3 RS+CSR Elite pedals) or a Thrustmaster T500RS. Both would be more expensive, and both can justify their price tags for different reasons... which I could go into if you're interested.

As drugstore_cowboy says, the G27 is a solid choice. Options become more complicated (or more interesting, if you're so inclined) when you start looking above G27 level.
I'd like to know more. I might regret that, but I want to make a good decision here. I don't want to buy twice.

*edit*

PjHiHRv.png

Seems like a p'good deal.

You can really give these Porsches a good punt! Guy makes a uey on the backside of a blind crest, and I killed him. Just practice, so it was funny.

gtgyyup3.gif

I'd like to know more. I might regret that, but I want to make a good decision here. I don't want to buy twice.

*edit*

PjHiHRv.png

Seems like a p'good deal.
Alright... bear in mind what follows is coming from a Driving Force Pro owner who went straight to a T500 - I have spent some time with a G27, and never touched a GT3 RS (but looked into it and considered that exact bundle for a long time before taking the plunge).

G27

Pros:
- legendary Logitech customer support
- a great all-in-one starter
- reliable
- one of the most popular wheels, lots of mods and community support

Cons:
- the most toy-like of the three
- weakest FFB, not belt-driven
- dead zone in centre

GT3 RS bundle

Pros:
- belt-driven
- no dead zone
- load cell pedals

Cons:
- questionable build quality/reliability
- questionable customer support
- shifter is crappy (but they do another expensive one)
- not officially supported in Gran Turismo (but it works)

T500RS

Pros:
- much more powerful than the other two, by far the smoothest and best FFB
- belt-driven
- no dead zone
- licensed GT product - means it has a large number of PlayStation inputs, including the PS button (quite handy), the best wheel for GT6 (well-calibrated)
- swappable rims

Cons:
- no load cell brake
- some don't like the fixed paddles
- no bundled shifter (but the one available separately is excellent)
- questionable build quality (I've had a few issues - in the middle of an RMA at the moment)

From what I can gather, in terms of the FFB strength, the GT3 RS is stronger but comparable to the G27, whereas the T500 is much more powerful, comparable to the Fanatec ClubSport wheel (although that is yet another step up). I have seen a few users defend the G27's helical gears, claiming this direct drive delivers a more precise feedback, but most agree that belt drive is better, giving a more natural feel - almost all high-end wheels are belt-driven. There is also a big dead zone in the middle of the G27's steering (the input is fine, but the motor strength disappears), which you don't get with either the GT3 or T500. But the big win in the Fanatec bundle is the CSR Elite pedals. This is the least expensive way to get a load cell brake, without a doubt these pedals are the best of the three - comfortably beating the T500 pedals, which themselves are a fair step on from the G27's. It is not uncommon for a G27 owner to look at upgrading their pedals to the CSR Elites for instance, and that goes for some T500 owners too (although there are compatibility problems with console if you go that route - this is a PC sim consideration).

That probably hasn't helped at all - there are really so many pros and cons of each.... sorry!

Paz laid it out great as usual, but let me add/emphasize that if GT7 has got to support the wheel you're going to buy, then the T500 is the only wheel currently available that I have very high confidence that will be the case. It's certainly possible they all might get support on the PS4, but the T500 is pretty close to a lock (I think it's the only ffb wheel confirmed to be supported by DriveClub so far). Anything else is going to be a lesser odds gamble, with Fanatec having the poorest odds.

if your buying the a first time wheel, just get the G27. Just do it. No one can say it's a bad or even average wheel, many people have it so you know they are relieable, lower price. Just get it the G27.

If the ps4 is capable of supporting third party wheels, the G27 will be supported by games that support any wheels. It's too good of a wheel used by too many people, not to support it.

Morzak

So finally set up my Omega GT wheelstand. Like that you don't ahave a column between the legs and it's decently stable. The only thing I feel could be more stable is the Shifter mount to the side. Build quality is ok, but I had some defects on the paint, but nothing bad.

Slowly getting decent in the Spec Racer Ford, and I feel like getting a handle on the skippy, although Turn 3 at Summit point is still an issue. And Iracings maintenance gets on my nerves this week.

Watevaman

Now that I have a clutch I really wish I had gotten a different stand than the Playseat Evo. It's nice but if I ever need to heel-toe it sucks.

Shaneus

I'm loving this video for PiBoSo's MX Bikes (pre-alpha). It's got some natural looking animations and bike dynamics.

http://youtu.be/X39pEVSbFQU
Yet to watch, but from your brief description it reminds me of that insane-looking kart sim (called, funnily enough, KartSim) from that one guy in Australia. I don't think any progress/news has been made in the last few years :/

Edit: Damn, that does look good though.

TJP

I'm loving this video for PiBoSo's MX Bikes (pre-alpha). It's got some natural looking animations and bike dynamics.

http://youtu.be/X39pEVSbFQU
MX Bikes physics look very solid (visuals not so much) however it would be nice if PiBoSo concentrated on one simulation and got it completed before moving onto another project. There are many half finished products on his/her website!

Thanks, gents.

I'd only ever modified existing paints before, so it was a nice exercise learning how to create one from scratch. Subsequent paints should take a lot less time if I choose to do a few more.

OK, it's not the world's fanciest design, but it's simple and serviceable. Fyi, the Quaker State/ Skippy/Racer mag decals are all server-side, so you even if you remove them from the template, they pop back in when you load the sim. A bit of a drag, but whatever.

If anyone would like some (simple!) personalization to it (flag, name, whatever) just holla.

@TJP, seriously! Hell, I'd take that MX build just as is. Give me a level editor, and I'd be happy as a pig in shit.

I just tried Trading Paints, very slick! But I have a question - your design came up when I loaded the sim, but I saw my original paint job there for a second, and that's what it seems to show in the menus and stuff. Does that mean that people without the software see my original paint job? I was under the impression that this Trading Paints system not only applied the skin for everyone running the software, but applied the right kind of colours to one of the standard paint schemes based on the most-prominent colours of the applied skin, for everyone else to see.

I only assumed this was the case because cars I've seen with unique skins always seem to show in the results with something approximating their skin (similar colours) on a normal paint scheme... have they all done this manually?

Watevaman

Hey guys, is it ok to advertise stuff for sale here? I'm going to be putting my DFGT up for sale soon and I figure someone into sim racing would be the preferred audience. I'm not sure about pricing yet because I'll need to get a shipping estimate but if anyone's interested let me know.

I just tried Trading Paints, very slick! But I have a question - your design came up when I loaded the sim, but I saw my original paint job there for a second, and that's what it seems to show in the menus and stuff. Does that mean that people without the software see my original paint job? I was under the impression that this Trading Paints system not only applied the skin for everyone running the software, but applied the right kind of colours to one of the standard paint schemes based on the most-prominent colours of the applied skin, for everyone else to see.

I only assumed this was the case because cars I've seen with unique skins always seem to show in the results with something approximating their skin (similar colours) on a normal paint scheme... have they all done this manually?

I always get kind of confused with this too. My understanding is the only way for you to see someone else's custom paint is by using Trading Paints. All the built-in stuff is done server-side with no local files. The only time you'll see a custom paint is in the sim itself, nowhere else.

You can see your own custom without TP though by correctly naming the paint file (car_ID#), and putting it in that car's folder. That's the basis for how the program works as well. It sees all the iRacing IDs you're connected with, and downloads the uniquely named (ID) paint files from the TP site and puts them in that car's folder. You'll see your own, and other people's paints pop-in after a few seconds which is TP doing it's thing.

TP can't touch the server-side stuff, so anyone without TP, and anything that's not in the sim itself will appear with the scheme you originally had. I can only imagine if there are approximations that it's only coincidental.

It's possible some of this may have changed along the way, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works. It's a great little program/service though. You'll quickly realize just how many other people are using it too, and you never even knew it.

@Wateva Of course, sell away.

I see. Well I'll save that skin for any special event that might get broadcast, might have go at making my own at some stage.

Time to get the DFP back out... T500 has been set to France. Man... how did I use this thing?

Ugh, that sucks. T500 to DFP, that is a shock to the system! What's seems the matter with it? TM makes you jump through hoops to prove ownership, but at least they're willing to fix the problem. Even over here, I think we need to ship things back to France for repair which seems rather nuts to me.

It's a clicking in the rotation that became apparent soon after I started using it, and it has become worse since. I've had my fair share of problems with the T500, and through various exchanges I've been able to test quite a few models, one of which exhibited an unusual noise, that Thrustmaster claimed was 'normal':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bCDxvWIbs

You can hear a sort of rattle after I spin the wheel left, as if some loose ball bearings continue to roll around in there. None of the other T500s I've tested have this noise, yet Thrustmaster insisted that it was normal.

They said that they couldn't do anything about it if the wheel was 'functioning properly'.

Naturally, when I did return the item for a refund (I had enough of Amazon sending me the 'V.2' model each time and decided to try elsewhere), the next T500 I bought from OCUK didn't exhibit the noise and I thought that was it... but then this clicking appeared. In the beginning it was just another noise, and due to my previous discussion with Thrustmaster I expected the same response, so I tried to ignore it and used it for a few months to see if it just needed 'breaking in'. But it has become louder, and I can now feel the click through the rotation. I stressed to Thrustmaster that it was no longer just a weird sound and was now a performance problem and they have agreed to take a look at it.

This is the clicking in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqRQdRy1Dq4

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, I see there are others with a clicking problem as well. Typical customer service, right? Everything is normal until it's actually broken. Oy.

Hopefully the turn around will be short. I think that's their reputation.

Fingers crossed. Something is probably just not sitting quite right, or a minor part needs replacing. I'm hoping that the repair team are very familiar with this kind of thing, and with a bit of care they can set it right, maybe give it a bit of a once-over. I imagine these things originally came flying off the production line with limited care, with factory staff monotonously following procedure. It's possible that the repair department is more knowledgeable about the components, so it might receive more care/attention than it ever did on the production line. In an ideal world this would result in a wheel that feels better than it did fresh out of the box... one can dream. :)

Brazilian motorsport is great. For better or worse, it seems so self contained. I've never even heard of such a car. I like that it's about 75% as big as you think it is if you just look at the thumbnail. Click for the full picture, and you see the dude inside looks huge!

A definite welcome addition to the game. I actually went to race department this morning to see if maybe I had missed the release of the new content, but I see it's just not out yet. Hopefully it'll be soon.

Watevaman

that wall is one of the reasons I want pCARS to fix their wall collision physics sooner rather than later. sucks me in when I touch it and damn if that ain't every other time it seems.

Morzak

Good sleuthing! Yeah, Taruma is in GSC and it's fun as balls.

Is there an Australian version of the Darlington Stripe for this Bathurst corner? Man, that thing is a paint killer!

fgfggnj5o.gif

I just can't get to grips with that track, thought of racing the Ruf there this week gave up pretty quickly. Will have to put serious time into it if I wan't to race the Spec Racer Ford on it the coming week, just can't get a feel for the downhill section.....

I just can't get to grips with that track, thought of racing the Ruf there this week gave up pretty quickly. Will have to put serious time into it if I wan't to race the Spec Racer Ford on it the coming week, just can't get a feel for the downhill section.....

I don't think I've ever driven a track that's held so many secrets. Almost every corner has a nuance, and it takes a long time to work out them out. Even the "easy" corners like the first and last ones can be tricky.

The downhill section really invites you to over-drive it, but you've got to stay disciplined and concentrate on getting good exits. The last one in particular begs you to charge through the kink, and then bury it at the bottom. What you should be doing is dragging some brake through the kink, stay to the right over near the wall, turn in late, and punch it down and out of the corner. Like a lot of places on the track, exit speed pays massive dividends. That's why you should stay away from a lot of the curbing too. That fraction of a second gained by cutting a bit of curbing isn't worth being late on the power, and giving up speed down the straights.

It is difficult for sure though. Just keep chipping away at it, and build up your knowledge. I'm hoping to get my first race of the week in tonight, but I've heard they've been wreck-fests. Even in practice, there are people all over the lot.

Also, AWE YEAA, I GOT ME A MUSTANG RUF SALLY

eeunsz5.gif

DD

Slightly Mad Studios announced its new racing game today, World of Speed. The PC racer will be available this year as a free-to-play download published by My.com, with a closed beta program scheduled for the spring.

The former Need for Speed: Shift and Shift 2: Unleashed developer described World of Speed as a "massively multiplayer online arcade racing video game," with players having access to an "endless garage of cars" to drive on tracks based in cities across the globe like London and San Francisco. World of Speed will feature team and club-based multiplayer racing along with objectives, missions and live events.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/10/n...m_campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/joystiq+(Joystiq)

I'm definitely interested in the MMO part of it. Five or six years ago I would have thought we'd have all kinds of MMO racing games by now, but it just hasn't panned out that way. I really want to see how they design it.

TJP

PGR reference alert:

World of Speed takes real-world locations and carves tracks out of them, Project Gotham-style, as well as featuring real-world circuits such as Kent's Brands Hatch. It's a multiplayer-based experience, with a strong emphasis on social features.

Lifted from here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...loper-announces-new-racing-mmo-world-of-speed

Might be worth taking a punt on now.

Edit: GameSpot video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HwqIPXTk8

WMD forum thread: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?17454-World-of-Speed-SMS-new-racing-MMO!

Top Bottom