• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Just had a great 10 lap race at Le Mans with some legendary 1990s Group Cs (787b, 962 and C9) with only 30 seconds covering the field by the race end. Now all we need is a Silk Cut Jag!

I often criticise the look of rFactor 2, but it sure looked pretty today...

dEa0BmY.jpg

PGQjaYW.jpg

qURsZWC.jpg

Edit: The CLK shouldn't really be there, I just wanted to have more vehicular diversity.

Shaneus

It's a definite improvement. My advice would be to put the old brake spring in the clutch, but leave the throttle alone.
Ooh, that's a good idea. I might do that. Currently have old brake spring in accel and old accel in clutch. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, I've almost always thought the accelerator was a little heavy.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I often criticise the look of rFactor 2, but it sure looked pretty today...

As a mad RF fan who lived and breathed the modding .... RF2 is horrible to look at, its really really ugly and no amount of lipstick will make this pig look good. It handles arguably the best along with iracing but I wouldn't put Assetto Corsa far behind. Seeing what Assetto Corsa is already capable of is a breath of fresh air to be honest.

I have never understood the lack of GT / Forza / Sega GT type games for the PC. Maybe the market research has showed PC gamers just aren't receptive in big enough numbers, but surely its a case of build it and they will come. All we get is a heres a handful of cars and tracks... now go make the ones you actually want!

Ooh, that's a good idea. I might do that. Currently have old brake spring in accel and old accel in clutch. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, I've almost always thought the accelerator was a little heavy.

Oh yeah, that's too stiff. I mean it's all personal preference, but I like a throttle that basically disappears after you start using it. Too much resistance/pushback, and I can start sensing brain cycles getting devoted to it's feel and positioning.

Actually, no and for some reason the page that I found them on yesterday is no longer working for me. Anyway, not only are these cars only v0.1s but there's recent speculation (by only one poster) that the C9 and 962 were converted/stolen from Forza, so perhaps best that the page is gone until they can be verified.

Ah, interesting. I thought the Mak 962 was out, but I guess not quite yet. The page is working for me, so of course I had to grab them. Got to tide myself over :)

I have never understood the lack of GT / Forza / Sega GT type games for the PC. Maybe the market research has showed PC gamers just aren't receptive in big enough numbers, but surely its a case of build it and they will come. All we get is a heres a handful of cars and tracks... now go make the ones you actually want!

I think people just underestimate the money that Sony, Microsoft, and Sega have to splash on dozens, and dozens of manufacturer licenses, and the man power to create all that content. That there's no PC equivalent is not from a lack of want from players or devs, it's just hugely ambitious. Tools and mods make for a heck of a better business plan.

Ah, interesting. I thought the Mak 962 was out, but I guess not quite yet. The page is working for me, so of course I had to grab them. Got to tide myself over :)
Note there are two major issues with those cars right now
-no ffb
-uses pre April 2013 sound data, which doesn't work properly in the current version of rF2 (when driving, all opponent sounds will play at 100 volume, no mater their distance). Set opponent sound volume to 0% to 'solve' the problem.

Hopefully Mak Corp can release something soon, as these two cars aren't the best stop gap solution.
As a mad RF fan who lived and breathed the modding .... RF2 is horrible to look at, its really really ugly and no amount of lipstick will make this pig look good. It handles arguably the best along with iracing but I wouldn't put Assetto Corsa far behind. Seeing what Assetto Corsa is already capable of is a breath of fresh air to be honest.
Indeed. rF2 may be slightly ahead with their vehicle handling and have major features like AI, multiplayer, realroad, pitstops etc but I have far far far more confidence in Kunos adding these features in a timely manner than I do ISI making their game and UI pretty.

Shaneus

The Talk & Drive 10 - Group B Lancia Delta S4 up Transfagarasan mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQv-1kilV_c
I can't get enough of Niels. That a guy so open to the community is contributing like a franchise like GSC... I'd honestly be surprised if he doesn't get poached by Kunos or the like within the next year or two.

BTW Are the T&Ds he does all with cars he's worked on? Also, I want that wheel. But I have a feeling it's expensive.

Zeth

I think I need to buy GSC. After getting my first wheel, I really only have AC to play on PC and I'm not yet interested in stuff like iRacing. What's the single player content like?

Darkdeus

I think I need to buy GSC. After getting my first wheel, I really only have AC to play on PC and I'm not yet interested in stuff like iRacing. What's the single player content like?

The single player is great IMO. You can run single races and championships but the best thing to me is the AI. They can race very close and fast without crashing into you and overall are a lot of fun to race with. I'm sure they're probably not good enough for the aliens out there but for me it's a good challenge. Here's some clips from the single player in GSC 2012 that I took last year:

Cascavel: http://youtu.be/o5IospugD8g
Brasilia: http://youtu.be/b741cYu2X-0

These are the cars included as well:
Stock Car V8 2013 Season
Camaro SS Street Challenge
Mini Challenge
Opala Stock Car Classic
Formula Reiza - Modern GP series
Formula Classic - Late 80s GP series
Formula Retro - Mid 70s GP series (includes Copersucar Fittipaldi FD04)
Formula 3
125cc kart direct drive (versions with body shell and without);
125cc kart Shifter 6 speed

You can download the installer from their site which is the full game on an hour long timer. Buy a key if you like it. It's a great sim. Fun physics, fun AI, fun tracks. Fun.

Like all rFactor based sims, "single player" isn't much more than races which can be strung together to make a championship if you want to add a slight bit of structure to it. You may find that a little off-putting at first, but you'll find a way of creating your own fun using the sandbox of options.

BTW Are the T&Ds he does all with cars he's worked on? Also, I want that wheel. But I have a feeling it's expensive.

They usually are his cars except when it's not rFactor. This is the first video that I've seen that has strayed from that. The Bodnar wheel? Expensive it is.
4 grand, usd

Shaneus

Oh yeah, that's too stiff. I mean it's all personal preference, but I like a throttle that basically disappears after you start using it. Too much resistance/pushback, and I can start sensing brain cycles getting devoted to it's feel and positioning.
Never mind this, I somewhat misremembered. I put the existing brake pedal in the clutch and the existing clutch in the accel. So I might put the original accel back in.

Fake edit: Just done, have a feeling this will make things a lot better. At least, should stop the pedals moving around quite as much.

Dave_6

I downloaded the rfactor 2 demo last night to give it a try. I got it to detect my wheel (a DFGT) but there seems to be a severe lack of FFB, and it also won't use the full 900 degrees of rotation either. Pretty sure I'm just missing something though. Anyone have any settings I can try out?

Edit: This is only the 2nd PC racing sim I've tried out; I bought Asseto Corsa Friday night and I love it so far. The DFGT works wonderfully with it.

I downloaded the rfactor 2 demo last night to give it a try. I got it to detect my wheel (a DFGT) but there seems to be a severe lack of FFB, and it also won't use the full 900 degrees of rotation either. Pretty sure I'm just missing something though. Anyone have any settings I can try out?

Edit: This is only the 2nd PC racing sim I've tried out; I bought Asseto Corsa Friday night and I love it so far. The DFGT works wonderfully with it.

Ffb in PC sims is more of a pain in the ass than it really should be. There's no sim with default settings that are any good. Every title needs tweaking and some trial and error.

Here's a recent post on the ISI forums with some DFGT settings. Try giving those a shot.

Degrees of rotation is usually set on a car-by-car basis by the sim, but you can override that if you want. I would advise not to however. The rack ratio is realistic, and usually perfectly adequate.

Dave_6

Ffb in PC sims is more of a pain in the ass than it really should be. There's no sim with default settings that are any good. Every title needs tweaking and some trial and error.

Here's a recent post on the ISI forums with some DFGT settings. Try giving those a shot.

Degrees of rotation is usually set on a car-by-car basis by the sim, but you can override that if you want. I would advise not to however. The rack ratio is realistic, and usually perfectly adequate.

Thank you, I'll give this a shot.

One quick question:

What game/sim/mod/etc. allows more cars in a race? I'd guess it would be either something NASCAR-based with 43 or maybe a crazy "all LeMans classes" grid, but I'm curious.

If you turn up the 'visible vehicles' setting in ISImotor games it goes to over 100, but when you add AI I believe it is restricted by the number of pitboxes for the track you've selected. A typical track might allow around 35, whereas Spa's double-sided pit lane has over 60 garages.

Having said that, I just checked P&G3 (I don't have a separate GTR2 install) and that seemed to restrict me to 35 no matter what track I was on (the number turns red if I go higher). I'm not sure why this is... perhaps a separate restriction applied by the P&G team?

I also can't seem to go higher than 33 AI cars in GSC.

iRacing supports 64 players online, but it has no AI and most of the races are split into much smaller groups - I'm usually racing between 8 and 16 people, but I rarely touch the oval side. Occasionally a 'big grid' is organised for a special event on the road side - that's good fun. But if you want regular racing with huge grids, the iRacing oval stuff is where you need to be.

DD

If you turn up the 'visible vehicles' setting in ISImotor games it goes to over 100, but when you add AI I believe it is restricted by the number of pitboxes for the track you've selected. A typical track might allow around 35, whereas Spa's double-sided pit lane has over 60 garages.

Having said that, I just checked P&G3 (I don't have a separate GTR2 install) and that seemed to restrict me to 35 no matter what track I was on (the number turns red if I go higher). I'm not sure why this is... perhaps a separate restriction applied by the P&G team?
Hmm, I'll check that tonight.

EDIT: works fine for me. Just booted a 62 car grid in Spa right now.

Fuck that. Can I have a 62 tractor grid in Agricultural Simulator 2013: Gold Edition?
No, but you can do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Watevaman

Conversions can be illegal if they don't have permission or require a CD check of some kind. I'm not 100% so wait until someone else comes in and confirms it's ok or not.

Conversions without permission and ripped (from other games) content are fairly prevalent. The sim police aren't going to come for you, however Black Snake Moan might. GAF is a dev friendly place, and takes it's TOS seriously, so for your account's sake it's probably best to not post links.

Nogrip has legit GSC mods if you want an alternative.

Branson

Conversions without permission and ripped (from other games) content are fairly prevalent. The sim police aren't going to come for you, however Black Snake Moan might. GAF is a dev friendly place, and takes it's TOS seriously, so for your account's sake it's probably best to not post links.

Nogrip has legit GSC mods if you want an alternative.

Oh no I definitely want to respect the original creators I just was excited for some different tracks. I just saw NoGrip actually. Man mods are some strange things sometimes.

Oh no I definitely want to respect the original creators I just was excited for some different tracks. I just saw NoGrip actually. Man mods are some strange things sometimes.

Yeah, it's been a longstanding point of contention in sims. It's easy to see why. An asset free-for-all causes a lot of longterm problems for the genre. iRacing was born on the back of such problems which is why it's kind of disappointing to see their forums not moderated to that same standard.

It's not a big deal or anything. I mean that site you linked to is pretty much common knowledge. We've all nicked a few things from there, but ultimately it's not the hottest idea.

DD

Ahaha, always love that video. Is that essentially the same game as Farming Simulator, or is it a knockoff? Don't want to lame-arse cheap(er) crap infiltrating my farming sim collection.

I have no idea. lol

Bought the bundle, but didn't played Agricultural Simulator yet.

Hmmm. The numbers turn red at 35 for me, do they not for you? And if I load the track when the numbers are red, it crashes.

Nope, works fine for me. Do you have the 3.1 version of the P&G mod?

Megasoum

Banned
Do we know what kind of support the Thrustmaster TX One has for platforms other than XB1? It looks a whole lot like a modified T-500 so in theory I guess it should work on PC and potentially even on PS3/4 maybe?

Edit: Oops wrong thread...but I guess it kinda fit here too...

Do we know what kind of support the Thrustmaster TX One has for platforms other than XB1? It looks a whole lot like a modified T-500 so in theory I guess it should work on PC and potentially even on PS3/4 maybe?

Edit: Oops wrong thread...but I guess it kinda fit here too...

It has official PC support. As far as I'm aware of it's not recognized by either PS platforms. Not sure if that's a UUID thing, or if the drivers are actually quite a bit different.

Megasoum

Banned
So looks like Shaun from Inside sim Racing decided to move back to LA and left the show.

He was the only good thing about the show so I guess it's dead now. To me anyway.

Ah, that's too bad. Shaun was definitely the better half. Best of luck to him.

As kooky as I think those guys are sometimes, there's no debating their dedication. Hopefully Darin can bring someone else in, as I don't think he can carry the show by himself. I think mclaren is from those parts...

TJP

No goodbye from Shaun? Must have been an interesting time behind the camera. I read this post from Darin on YT: "I agree it was weird.. Not easy for me to do alone and then edit that piece. He left without me knowing and I actually haven't talked to him face to face since December 23rd"

If the latest ISR video 'DTM Raceroom Experience by SimBin' is any guide, future content will be below par as that video contains quite a bit of misinformation. The videos narrator drives like a loon (e.g. riding the rev limiter and downshifting at high rpm) and then complains about mehcanical damage, he complains about the DTM module costing '$40 for 5 tracks and 3 cars' which appears somewhat ironic given their show is sponsored by a great yet very expensive sim. I've never heard ISR mention or criticise iRacing for having pricey (when compared to other sims) add-on car and tracks nor for requiring an on-going subscription in order to access the cars and tracks one has bought.

A little fact checking would help too. The DTM add-on all 9 DTM series tracks and the 3 manufacturers, all of which are officially licenced and buying the current version entitles the purchaser to a free upgrade of the 2014 version. Do ISR staff really think the DTM licence and track owners give their properties away for free?

I do agree about the braking markers however 8)

Megasoum

Banned
No goodbye from Shaun? Must have been an interesting time behind the camera. I read this post from Darin on YT: "I agree it was weird.. Not easy for me to do alone and then edit that piece. He left without me knowing and I actually haven't talked to him face to face since December 23rd"

If the latest ISR video 'DTM Raceroom Experience by SimBin' is any guide, future content will be below par as that video contains quite a bit of misinformation. The videos narrator drives like a loon (e.g. riding the rev limiter and downshifting at high rpm) and then complains about mehcanical damage, he complains about the DTM module costing '$40 for 5 tracks and 3 cars' which appears somewhat ironic given their show is sponsored by a great yet very expensive sim. I've never heard ISR mention or criticise iRacing for having pricey (when compared to other sims) add-on car and tracks nor for requiring an on-going subscription in order to access the cars and tracks one has bought.

A little fact checking would help too. The DTM add-on all 9 DTM series tracks and the 3 manufacturers, all of which are officially licenced and buying the current version entitles the purchaser to a free upgrade of the 2014 version. Do ISR staff really think the DTM licence and track owners give their properties away for free?

I do agree about the braking markers however 8)

Oh wow had no idea about all that drama! Now I need to check the official forums lol.

Addy

Neo Member
After all the bullshit between Darin and Fanatec I stopped watching it (granted I watched more 1 or 2 reviews).

I did the same thing. Just revisited their Youtube channel in the past few days as I was looking for videos on Assetto Corsa. Anyways, one of the videos I saw was Shaun interviewing Tommy Kendall which was really fun to watch....hopefully Shaun pops up with his own Youtube channel at some point.

rtcn63

Fellas, I should have a T500RS coming, and I'm in need of a wheel stand. Is the Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe a good one? And if so, should I purchase it from the official site or somewhere else?

Top Bottom