• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I have to give a second try to rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car.

The rFactor2 demo just didn´t click for me, but there seems to be so many mods already avaliable that it´s just a shame to be missing out on... how easy is to get into online races? Is there a quick race lobby, something like it?

Also, being a brazilian i should give some love to GSC. Played the older one and just... felt less realistic than i had hoped for, specially in collisions and overtakings.

I have to give a second try to rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car.

The rFactor2 demo just didn´t click for me, but there seems to be so many mods already avaliable that it´s just a shame to be missing out on... how easy is to get into online races? Is there a quick race lobby, something like it?

Also, being a brazilian i should give some love to GSC. Played the older one and just... felt less realistic than i had hoped for, specially in collisions and overtakings.

They're both excellent sims with very good physics and AI. I'd probably give the nod to rF2 on both of those aspects, but like I said, both are excellent. rF2 has higher highs, but lower lows. GSC is easy to deal with, and very fun straight away. It's a fun game. They've made notable progress across the board from the original to 2013, so it's definitely worth revisiting. The full installer has a 60 minute trial timer, so go check it out for yourself.

You'll find more people online in rF2, but unsurprisingly you're way more likely to find a server with a bunch of Brazilians playing GSC. You might not care too much about that however.

Terrific video Adrian!

which racing games have the most accurate clutch physics? I'm currently playing AC but find that I don't have to press the clutch all the way down to shift. Are there any games that force you to do this, or even stall you out if you don't get it right?

which racing games have the most accurate clutch physics? I'm currently playing AC but find that I don't have to press the clutch all the way down to shift. Are there any games that force you to do this, or even stall you out if you don't get it right?

The ISI-based games (rF, rF2, GSC, etc) have no anti-stall (or it's defeatable, can't remember). That will let you stall, and have to re-fire the engine to get going. The clutch pedal travel can be adjusted in all the sims, so if you want it to engage/disengage at the bottom of the throw, move the sliders so that all the action is at the bottom.

Remember that all transmissions aren't the same too. Each type sort of has it's own rules.

Also remember that you don't actually need to use the clutch to change gears. Lifting and blipping is a real world thing. You could drive your own car that way. The clutch is really only needed to get away. I think you'd find that's how a lot of people drive their sims (I do). I only actively use the clutch when I'm looking to keep it authentic, it's too difficult to drive without it, or it's faster :p

Do we have an ETA for it?

No :( Niels said it's close, but not yet finished. Next month probably.

Has anyone tried Victory: The Age Of Racing?

It looks semi interesting because:

-the physics were developed in conjunction with Stefano Casillo (although they call it an 'arcade racer')
-you seem to be able to build your own cars from various parts
-you seem to be able to build your own tracks

Negative points: it does look somewhat arcadey and people on the forums are complaining that it's pay-to-win (However the developers say they're listening to customers and will be removing the pay-to-win aspect from the next build)

Couple of rFactor 2 videos, showing off my two favourite car mods.

8 laps of Lime Rock with GT3s

6 laps of Mid Ohio with Lola 280s. Note to self: stop racing at 6.00am, it's still too dark

Now I've a GPU that can capture in 1080p with minimal drop in performance, I'll be recording and posting a whole lot more.

Terrific couple of vids. Very smooth performance, as you said. Keep them coming!

What happened there on the back straight of Mid-Ohio? Couldn't get a gear?

I've been neglecting rF2 (and every other sim not named iRacing) the last few months. I've got to spend more time in that Lola, and some of these other mods. They're so much fun.

RE: Victory: Age of Racing. Hmm, interesting. There seems to be a lot of these types of games popping up. I don't know whose will end up being the best, but I hope at least one of them ends up worthy of spending time with.

Shaneus

Seriously!
And I honestly don't think I've heard Niels sound that genuinely scared as he was in that video. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Interesting what he's saying about the active/stiff suspension around 93/94/95. Learning!
I love that wheel, too. You can see how hard he's gripping it by looking at his forearms. After 15 mins of driving your arms would be sore as hell.

Watevaman

A new TOCA game would have my attention regardless of how I think about the GRID series or Dirt Showdown. They'd have to fuck up something bad for me to not be interested.

number5khkhq.gif

Juicy Bob

Holy shit! I have literally been BEGGING for a new touring car sim to come out.

A BTCC game in the style of ToCA 2 with modern bells and whistles and multiplayer would be amazing.

Spookie

Man I forgot how shitty iRacing is in the Mazda. Four different pillocks drove in to the back of me on a hairpin on three separate occasions. Dear iRacing drivers: THE BREAK IS THE MIDDLE PEDDLE.

-SD-

Banned
Might as well post this here too...

BeamNG.drive got greenlit just recently. The BeamNG (Beam Engine) physics engine (from the Rigs of Rods team) is really impressive, and it's only going to get better as time goes on.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227184794
BeamNG said:
BeamNG.drive is a realistic, immersive driving game offering near-limitless possibilities. Our soft-body physics engine simulates every component of a vehicle in real time, resulting in realistic, dynamic behavior.
The driving feel is authentic and visceral, and crashes are realistic and violent; yet the physics are accessible enough to drive with a keyboard or gamepad while still being authentic with a full racing wheel with uncompromising realism.

Here's the Greenlight video with latest footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZoug_n7OE&hd=1

http://www.beamng.com

FrequentSpotlessCutworm.gif

Dave_6

I downloaded the GSC2013 demo last night. After a few issues and spending ~15 mins trying to get the car to drive out of the garage (it was an issue with the "Auto clutch" key and me using a DFGT which there isn't a profile for) I finally got to try it out. I first had to go back into the Logitech Profiler and change the wheel rotation to 400 degrees (had it at 900 for Assetto Corsa) and that was a major improvement. The FFB was great with the stock cars too. I then had to try out one of the classic F1 cars. They are awesome to say the least, but there was much less FFB with those than the stock cars yet all the in-game settings were the same. Is that normal for those cars in this game?

I downloaded the GSC2013 demo last night. After a few issues and spending ~15 mins trying to get the car to drive out of the garage (it was an issue with the "Auto clutch" key and me using a DFGT which there isn't a profile for) I finally got to try it out. I first had to go back into the Logitech Profiler and change the wheel rotation to 400 degrees (had it at 900 for Assetto Corsa) and that was a major improvement. The FFB was great with the stock cars too. I then had to try out one of the classic F1 cars. They are awesome to say the least, but there was much less FFB with those than the stock cars yet all the in-game settings were the same. Is that normal for those cars in this game?

The ffb will obviously feel differently between cars, but it shouldn't be dramatically less, no.

Here's the Reiza recommended steering lock config:

The game and the default car setups are suitable to 270 degrees of rotation, adequate to the standards of most game controllers. With a proper steering wheel, you can achieve a more realistic steering ratio setting wheel rotation to 540 degrees and a steering lock (located in the in-game garage Menu) around 20-22 degrees.

These settings should work well for all cars in the sims except for the kart - these demand steering rotation set to 180-220º .

Make sure to also update the “steering wheel range=” parameter accordingly in your profile´s controller.ini inside USERDATA\(your name) folder, so that the in-game wheel rotation matches that of your controller.

As for profiler and in-game, you'll have to hunt around a bit for some recommendations. 100/0/0/0 is always a good start, with (probably) a negative number strength in-game (-60? -80?), and ffb effects set to low (realfeel takes care of the ffb). If you want a little bit of spring, add that in the profiler. Like I said though, root around for what other folks are using for settings. Race Department would be a good start.

Watevaman

Head's up, MotoGP '13 is only $12 on Steam this week as part of their weekly deals thing. Not sure if anyone here has it (I think I'll wait for it to drop a little more), but there is a demo.

TJP

Head's up, MotoGP '13 is only $12 on Steam this week as part of their weekly deals thing. Not sure if anyone here has it (I think I'll wait for it to drop a little more), but there is a demo.
I have it; I was stupid enough to pre-order as I've always been a sucker for Milestone bike sims despite every release being flawed. Long story short is that MotoGP '13 is just okay (a lot of mods to be found at Race Department to make it slightly better) but still a LONG way off the brilliance of SBK 2001. Make sure you read the Steam forums because there are quite a few issues: http://steamcommunity.com/app/240600/discussions/

FWIW, the last patch killed my frame rate by halving it, FSAA implmentation is horrid as it does SFA whilst sapping performance, multiplayer has been FUBAR'd since launch, the time trial mode is full of glitched times and/or cheaters and people are reporting the career mode isn't saving progression. No word from Milestone about further fixes..

The menus all feature video backgrounds so that's one positive. Legends DLC feature 500cc 2 strokes from different eras which is worth buying although I'd wait for a sale.

I might have to pick it for that price.

Thanks for the impressions, TJP. I'll take a look through the issues and see if they're something I can live with. I probably won't ask a lot from it, so as long as it runs OK hopefully it'll scratch my itch.

Top Bottom