• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

and oh, I've got to mention the new Spa re-do for GPL. Way more accurate, and better looking. This mod was apparently started in the year 2000, and is finally getting finished now.

Nicely done trailer:

http://youtu.be/e0ykJgs02nQ
I have an erection.
Anything good to report about yesterday's update?
Nothing to write home about. Under car shadows look soooo much better though.

Edit: here's the change log (where they don't even mention the shadows?)
================================================== ===
Update 21 (Build 494) Changelog (February 26, 2014):
================================================== ===

GRAPHICS:
————————
Now defaulting to automated HDR parameters instead of manual profiles for every track when this build is first run. After that, you can change back to a specific profile if you want. The preferred profile for any track is now called “automation”.
Fixed calculation and tweaked numbers to reduce cloud pop-in.

FEATURES:
————————
Optional new HDV [SUSPENSION] line ModelWheelsIncludeAllTireMass=1 improves accounting for tire mass and inertia. Obviously this must coincide with actually adding the tire ring mass and inertia to the wheels in the chassis.ini file. In addition to more accurately simulating the tire ring, this also facilitates the removal of SpinInertia and SpinInertiaAI from the HDV. A related change is the optional removal of TemporaryRingMassInertia from the TGM file – the tire now dynamically changes inertia depending on current shape (a new variable MassInertiaMultiplier can also be included if the physically calculated values are not satisfactory for some reason).
For newly created replays, you can now play them even if the (virtual) mod is uninstalled, as long as the individual track and vehicle components are still installed.
Created some options for the suspension deformation code that allows more generic connections like brake lines.

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
————————
Fixed problem recovering from ctrl-alt-delete in Win 7/8.
Fixed some missing translations in rFConfig.
Fixed plugin callbacks PreReset() and PostReset().
Fixed a crash from the RFM spinner in strange cases.
Made the “goto preferred car selection” page action go to the non-preferred car selection page in case where the preferred car selection page doesn’t exist (instead of going nowhere)
Fixed problem reading older RealRoad files.
Fixed a potential pit menu crash if FuelSpecial lines are used in the HDV file.
Fixed crash related to Mod Mode all tracks & cars selection & uninstalling other mods.
Fixed a couple problems with Resume From Replay, including one potential crash.
Since full-course yellows do not work without a safety car right now, disable them if there is no safety car available at a track.
Fixed potential crash in transparent trainer code – probably only happened in multiplayer.

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV
————————
Fixed bug in ModMgr when displaying large (> 2GB) mod files.
Added buttons to ModMgr to delete paths from the Working Dir and Packages selectors.
Some shader macro prototypes have changed. Look in pShaderStubs.h for changes.
Fixed rcd values write out from realtime editor.
Now looking for driver RCD files in vehicle components as well as (hopefully soon to be phased out) talent components.

UI / HUD / Options:
————————
Fixed ‘enter’ key moving between min and max replay mode for other languages.
When selecting a mod with it’s own UI, the standard rFactor UI will send you to a prompt screen to ask if you’d like to use the mod-specific UI.
Added RCD editing gizmos: they work on “virtual vehicle” drivers in main release & any content in Mod Mode.
Fixed issue with true type fonts sometimes (usually after UI switch) not loading.

MULTIPLAYER:
————————
Official ISI server now show on top of mp lobby list (until user manually sorts).
If mod specific multiplayer temp vehicle is not found, will attempt to load generic temp vehicle instead.
Added gizmo to standard rFactor UI that let’s you quickly change cars in practice mode without having to leave and rejoin the server.
Detecting & reloading livery changes in multiplayer quick vehicle change.
Disabled new prediction algorithm by default, until issues are worked out.

CONTROLLERS / FFB
————————
Added profile for the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel.
Added an optional minimum FFB torque to the controller.ini file. Disabled by default.

AI
————————
AIs now attempt to restart engine when toggling AI on with a stalled engine.
Fixed some cases where RCD files were not loading.

Reiza just posted this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/439111464989638656

Are they teasing us? :3

Oh, baby. Those beauties should be good fun. This is going to be quite the update.

I know its not technically a hardcore sim but I've finally got my PC all set up this week and with the bezel correction all in place it was time for some gaming. So I thought I'd share my new GoPro style with F1 2103 as Mansell around Monaco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPGZB7dwcI

Very nice indeed. What a setup.

TJP

I know its not technically a hardcore sim but I've finally got my PC all set up this week and with the bezel correction all in place it was time for some gaming. So I thought I'd share my new GoPro style with F1 2103 as Mansell around Monaco. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPGZB7dwcI
Great stuff as always Alan! After the difficulties you've encountered in the past, I'm chuffed this PC is working as intended as the games all look sensational.

Someone asked about a WTCC sim recently? RaceDepartment has a video of a WIP build of WTCC in multiplayer mode by SimBin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qq31T18-ic The footage has been confirmed on RD as being created by SimBin so it is legitimate.

Full story with a bit more info here: http://www.racedepartment.com/raceroom-racing-experience-exclusive-multiplayer-video-fia-wtcc-2013/

disap.ed

With AC now having the Nürburgring GP and pCARS getting a new export of this track on Monday I would like a comparison of these two then.
ADRIANF1? ;)

Seanspeed

Banned
Is it possible to learn how to heel&toe with a wheel setup? I drive manual, but none of my cars(trucks, to be more accurate) have ever had a gas/brake pedal setup that were close enough to be able to learn how to do it in real life.

Arucardo

Is it possible to learn how to heel&toe with a wheel setup? I drive manual, but none of my cars(trucks, to be more accurate) have ever had a gas/brake pedal setup that were close enough to be able to learn how to do it in real life.

Absolutely, I originally learned it with the G25 pedals and then transferred over to the Fanatec CSR Elite's.

I've driven a few cars now that had the pedals close enough (most ordinary cars I've driven have the throttle a lot closer to you (depth wise that is) than the brake) and had no trouble doing it.

It becomes second nature when you've done it for a bit. I really had to focus on doing it at first and it hurt my driving lines a lot, but now it's a subconscious thing and I love driving stick shift cars in sims because of it. There's nothing like nailing a corner while doing heavy breaking and heel-toeing on downshifts.

Seanspeed

Banned
Absolutely, I originally learned it with the G25 pedals and then transferred over to the Fanatec CSR Elite's.

I've driven a few cars now that had the pedals close enough (most ordinary cars I've driven have the throttle a lot closer to you (depth wise that is) than the brake) and had no trouble doing it.

It becomes second nature when you've done it for a bit. I really had to focus on doing it at first and it hurt my driving lines a lot, but now it's a subconscious thing and I love driving stick shift cars in sims because of it. There's nothing like nailing a corner while doing heavy breaking and heel-toeing on downshifts.
Good to know. Something I definitely to learn how to do if I'm ever to call myself a bonafide driving enthusiast, I think!

TJP

Nice to read Emerson Fittipaldi has joined Rubens Barrichello and Felipe Massa as a fan of Game Stock Car 2013: http://www.virtualr.net/more-on-emerson-fittipaldis-game-stock-car-experience

For those who are interested, here are a few more details about the occasion:

- The meeting was not in our office but at Emerson´s own home – he got the simulator for himself and for his 7-year old son (who is taking up karting) to practice;

- The pictures were taken while Emerson was sharing the first few laps with his son, who as most kids that age, was very excited with the new “toy” and not willing to share it for very long :) For that reason the simulator was kept adjusted to little Emmo;

- Emerson was straight at home and drove confortably at first while some driving aids were still on – he complained he could feel them interfering and asked for us to switch it off. When we did he had a couple of spins but very quickly got the hang of it – within a few more laps he´d have no problems turning in competitive times;

- He spent a good while marvelling at his replays, to the desperation of little Emmo beside him :) ;

- There is a video but in between the engine noise and his son shouting you can barely hear him;

- Someone mentioned most people specially his age wouldn´t remember details of experiences from a long time ago, and indeed many racing drivers don´t seem to preserve a very long term memory… Emmo however is *very* sharp and remember events from his career in minute detail – worth checking his blog entries in the Mclaren website http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/blog/#Emerson … Fittipaldi to see the man knows his history – he recalled in detail the engine problems he had in the 1976 brazilian GP which forced him to drop out from his promising 5th grid position.

- I wouldn´t discard seeing him pop online for a multiplayer race on occasion :)

Type_Raver

Been trying to find an answer but not having any luck, hoping you guys might know.

Formula A car in PCARS has many tyre options, which include Default, Formula A, r0, r1, r2, r3. What I haven't been able to work out is what these "r" tyres are. Are they a form of rain tyre or a race tyre with different compounds.

Anyone know exactly?

Been trying to find an answer but not having any luck, hoping you guys might know.

Formula A car in PCARS has many tyre options, which include Default, Formula A, r0, r1, r2, r3. What I haven't been able to work out is what these "r" tyres are. Are they a form of rain tyre or a race tyre with different compounds.

Anyone know exactly?

Nic Hamilton gave a good analysis of the Formula A tires here:

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?11081-Nic-s-Thread&p=644048&viewfull=1#post644048

LeBoef

And I honestly don't think I've heard Niels sound that genuinely scared as he was in that video. Brilliant stuff.

Edit: Interesting what he's saying about the active/stiff suspension around 93/94/95. Learning!
I love that wheel, too. You can see how hard he's gripping it by looking at his forearms. After 15 mins of driving your arms would be sore as hell.

its the weight of those 2.5k british pounds for the wheelbase alone, he is pushing against.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Nah it's shit because it's just an rFactor mod and gMotor is so ugly
I'm kidding of course; GSC is sublime.

GSC is awesome but it is ugly. I know most people who are also serious about their sims would prefer physics/driving model over graphics but I think they both count as much as each other along with sound. The day we get PCARS level graphics with Assetto Corsa type physics will be a huge milestone for PC Sims.

JamboGT

I would describe it as an evolution, there are a lot of parameters available and have been working at changing those to get a more natural feel.

Happy with it so far.

I gave GSC 2013 a try. After some frustration, I finally got the control/sensitivity settings in proper order and found the Steering Lock setting in the garage. Once the steering ratio was totally linear, I got down to business. 50 minutes later, I had to buy it for the karts and kart tracks alone... wow.

The AI is surprisingly impressive and actually fun to race. My mind is kind of blown on that front--I didn't go in expecting anything at all, but I got some incredibly enjoyable racing out of it. It certainly trumps AC's AI.

AC has more convincing visuals, of course, but what Reiza has done with an old engine is more than sufficient. As for the driving experience, I haven't had enough seat time with GSC's lineup of vehicles to draw deep comparisons, but from what little I've played, I think I'll have a tough time choosing between GSC'13 and Assetto Corsa as the one whose physics I prefer. They both feel quite good.

I've found my pair of sims to enjoy for the time being. Lately I've only given iRacing my time when I want to drive the MX-5 around Road Atlanta, a track sorely missing from AC and GSC... and every other sim without it, for that matter.

TJP

GSC is awesome but it is ugly. I know most people who are also serious about their sims would prefer physics/driving model over graphics but I think they both count as much as each other along with sound. The day we get PCARS level graphics with Assetto Corsa type physics will be a huge milestone for PC Sims.
Reiza could copy Slightly Mad (NFS: Shift series) and SimBin (RRE) and use ISImotor 2 for the physics and their own graphics engine....or make the next GSC from the tools for Assetto Corsa - after all AC is moddable 8)

I gave GSC 2013 a try. After some frustration, I finally got the control/sensitivity settings in proper order and found the Steering Lock setting in the garage. Once the steering ratio was totally linear, I got down to business. 50 minutes later, I had to buy it for the karts and kart tracks alone... wow.

The AI is surprisingly impressive and actually fun to race. My mind is kind of blown on that front--I didn't go in expecting anything at all, but I got some incredibly enjoyable racing out of it. It certainly trumps AC's AI.

AC has more convincing visuals, of course, but what Reiza has done with an old engine is more than sufficient. As for the driving experience, I haven't had enough seat time with GSC's lineup of vehicles to draw deep comparisons, but from what little I've played, I think I'll have a tough time choosing between GSC'13 and Assetto Corsa as the one whose physics I prefer. They both feel quite good.

I've found my pair of sims to enjoy for the time being. Lately I've only given iRacing my time when I want to drive the MX-5 around Road Atlanta, a track sorely missing from AC and GSC... and every other sim without it, for that matter.

Spot on assessment of GSC. I can't say enough good things about it. Alpha/beta sims got you down? Here's the opposite. They keep refining it, and refining it, and refining it. It's very much a racer's sim. It's not sexy whatsoever. Physics, tracks, cars, ffb, AI. It delivers in spades with the stuff that matters most.

1382r7n.gif

Turn 1 & 2 @ Road America

Had a really enjoyable battle today with this very nice Finn in the McLaren. It went on for like 12 laps, and the cleanliness was impeccable. iRacing at it's best... which is good because this GT3 series has been a fairly dodgy. There are A LOT of people running it. Not all of them with solid racecraft.

Nice. I think iRacing's generally respectful community is its main selling point; granted, you have to earn a license or two before you're practically guaranteed to be grouped with extremely fair, competitive racers.

I've been tinkering with GSC'13 some more. I downloaded the Nordschleife (I had the same one in rFactor) and copied/edited a couple of files to make it show up on the Kart track listing... so now that I have the Nurburgring available to kart upon, I'll need a shifter cart with slightly taller gears and more power. Shouldn't be hard to do with another copy/edit. Can't find anything to alter the aero forces available, but whatever, no aero is half the fun, right?

markao

Reiza could copy Slightly Mad (NFS: Shift series) and SimBin (RRE) and use ISImotor 2 for the physics and their own graphics engine....or make the next GSC from the tools for Assetto Corsa - after all AC is moddable 8)
Here we go again Travis, SMS did not use ISI Motor 2 as base for their physics, Eero P. (RBR) wrote almost (yes small parts still used) all of it. Why do you keep repeating this? Just because some file system was still similar, some parts in "chassis/shocks" were still being used, does not make it gMotor. The most important of the physics engine, the "brush tire model" part, was completely new.

What's a good open wheel racer simulator these days for someone who really loved Geoff Crammond's GP series (Amiga through PC) and GPL?

Haven't played a good open wheeler sim since GPL, and I need something contemporary, that looks really good..

Classic Formula 1 would be too much to ask I suppose, but 90s or so would also be OK to me..

Munin

Which game has the most awesome career mode? Doesn't have to be a "sim"...but this is the only dedicated racing game thread I guess :(

What's a good open wheel racer simulator these days for someone who really loved Geoff Crammond's GP series (Amiga through PC) and GPL?

Haven't played a good open wheeler sim since GPL, and I need something contemporary, that looks really good..

Classic Formula 1 would be too much to ask I suppose, but 90s or so would also be OK to me..
Game Stock Car 2013 has '70s, '90s and modern 'fake' non-licensed Formula cars

Assetto Corsa has 2 modern Formula cars and possibly some historics to come in the future.

rFactor 2 has the widest range of open wheel formulas, from Skip Barber, to GPL historic F1s, to modern day F1, 2 and 3 (although like GSC2013, the modern F1 isn't licensed)

Out of the 3, I'd probably recommend GSC2013 for the best open wheel experience.

markao

Game Stock Car 2013 has '70s, '90s and modern 'fake' non-licensed Formula cars

Assetto Corsa has 2 modern Formula cars and possibly some historics to come in the future.

rFactor 2 has the widest range of open wheel formulas, from Skip Barber, to GPL historic F1s, to modern day F1, 2 and 3 (although like GSC2013, the modern F1 isn't licensed)

Out of the 3, I'd probably recommend GSC2013 for the best open wheel experience.
I would gave the edge to rFactor 2, even if it is just for the few tracks that come with it historic Monaco/Spa and the more dynamic track (grip). But either one of those two will do, wait for AC or pCARS before they are (fully) released.

Almost forgot iRacing, specially if the online organised racing structure is something you are looking for. And it also includes Dave K. ( papyrus /GPL) new try at recreating a classic Lotus in a more modern physics engine.

For the more modern open wheel cars, GSC would be my choice. There's a lot of variety and it's getting even more. That said, and Interlagos aside, you won't be racing on GP circuits unless you get yourself some mods. That may or may not be a big deal to you. If it is, Codemaster's officially licensed game might be a better fit.

For 60's GP cars, I'd have to be rF2. It's got wonderful lesser formulas, and a few of your favorite historic tracks. If I had to take just one car though, it would probably be iRacing's L49. However the differences between those two sims is a gulf apart, whereas the cars aren't actually terribly dissimilar.

If GPL is your jumping off point, Assetto's L49 is going to feel pretty foreign to you. It's got a lot of grip. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable, it just isn't GPL 2.0. Their two modern cars are ace however.

TJP

Here we go again Travis, SMS did not use ISI Motor 2 as base for their physics, Eero P. (RBR) wrote almost (yes small parts still used) all of it. Why do you keep repeating this?
ISI list SMS as having licenced isiMotor 2 on their own webpage. I'm taking the info from there:

I honestly forgotten we'd had this discussion once before; it's not as if I'm trying to shit on SMS whose work I enjoy too. That said, a quick review of the posts at NoGrip in the modding threads does make it clear that NFS: Unleashed contains more SMS code than ISI's (not sure about Shift). I won't post about this in the future as I didn't realise it was going to cause a conniption.

markao

ISI list SMS as having licenced isiMotor 2 on their own webpage. I'm taking the info from there:

I honestly forgotten we'd had this discussion once before; it's not as if I'm trying to shit on SMS whose work I enjoy too. That said, a quick review of the posts at NoGrip in the modding threads does make it clear that NFS: Unleashed contains more SMS code than ISI's (not sure about Shift). I won't post about this in the future as I didn't realise it was going to cause a conniption.

Same answer as last time, legacy code still being used, small part still being ISI code, means license is needed. (Quake 3 --> COD MW) File structures do not (always) change, the engine that crunches those numbers however (largely) did. I have no doubt that if you look at pCARS file structure you will also find a lot of files looking very similar to earlier ISI based games, even going back to F1 2000.

It is not a gMotor game, just drive it for a few laps and it should make that pretty clear that the tire model is really different, at least to me ;)

TJP

It is not a gMotor game, just drive it for a few laps and it should make that pretty clear that the tire model is really different, at least to me ;)
When modded, both NFS: Shift titles are fantastic so you'll get no arguments from me! I completed both Shift games on Xbox 360 too so I must be really mental ;)

Top Bottom