• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I've just given my shifter kart in GSC'13 roughly twice the power and 2.66 gears. It now tops out around 215 KPH, but I need to either shorten the 6th gear ratio or boost the power, as it just can't pull beyond the top of 5th at the moment. Being able to enjoy it on the Nordschleife is a treat, though. With a little extra steering lock and 360° wheel rotation rather than 180°, it's actually manageable at high speeds with some slip angle. Good times.

Shaneus

You won't find either on Steam... the only major (current) sim on Steam is Assetto Corsa. The others you'll have to get from their respective websites:
http://game-stockcar.com.br/?lang=en
http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/

GSC being the more "finished" of the two. Takeover said it best a few posts ago:
Spot on assessment of GSC. I can't say enough good things about it. Alpha/beta sims got you down? Here's the opposite. They keep refining it, and refining it, and refining it. It's very much a racer's sim. It's not sexy whatsoever. Physics, tracks, cars, ffb, AI. It delivers in spades with the stuff that matters most.
rFactor2, FWIW is very much still a beta.

markao

When modded, both NFS: Shift titles are fantastic so you'll get no arguments from me! I completed both Shift games on Xbox 360 too so I must be really mental ;)
Just to make sure, I did not mean anything "harsh" with my original comment, it was just "haven't we had this discussion before"/, aka deja vu. Probably because you are the only one I know of that puts that engine in the "gMotor box".

And nothing to be a shamed of Travis, with a few "responsiveness" fixes, the game was not that bad IMHO, just the aggressiveness of the AI at some of the city tracks did make my blood boil a few times. However with the extra controller input lag on the 360, I doubt I would have had the same feeling ;)

TJP

Just to make sure, I did not mean anything "harsh" with my original comment, it was just "haven't we had this discussion before"/, aka deja vu. Probably because you are the only one I know of that puts that engine in the "gMotor box".
Don't worry as it's all good! I did genuinely forget your original statement about SMS not using ISI code and thus my post read like an idiot had typed it as I'd posted the same guff again 8) My intentions were to praise ISI's physics..

Interesting news from SimBin: http://insider.simbin.com/developer-spotlight-mark-reynolds/

SimBin said:
..we are happy to see Mark Reynolds return to our team. Together with Marko Hartikainnen they have been given a “balls out” on the table premise to lift the SimBin Experience to the next level.

markao

Developer with the most amazing racing cockpit, real car dashboard, everything working. I would love to have that one ........if I had the space for it :p

[edit] oops, posted before reading the story and watching the included images, this is the one I was talking about.

cockpit.jpg

DD

Guys (who bought GTR 2), here some hints:

Download this mod: http://www.bsimracing.com/Files/power-glory-mod-v3-1-update/

Also: the steam version has the Ferraris and Porsches all in black (no textures) due some problem with licences. To fix that, download this patch: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=2099

The patch was made for the boxed version of the game, so if you install it on your digital version, the game will start to request for the disk. To solve this problem, download the no CD crack here: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=2282

Does GTR2 have decent 360 pad support? I no longer own or have space for wheels..

Works fine. ;)

Sweet. One can't really possibly go wrong with a 1 Eur pricetag, but I was wondering if it might actually be more worthwhile to get a more contemporary SimBin game instead? I played the original GT-R and loved lapping the Spa with it, but nothing after that. Should I go for Race07 or GT-R Evolution instead? Or would I be a happy camper with GT-R 2? I just want to do hotlaps on famous tracks with famous cars.. :)

DD

Sweet. One can't really possibly go wrong with a 1 Eur pricetag, but I was wondering if it might actually be more worthwhile to get a more contemporary SimBin game instead? I played the original GT-R and loved lapping the Spa with it, but nothing after that. Should I go for Race07 or GT-R Evolution instead? Or would I be a happy camper with GT-R 2? I just want to do hotlaps on famous tracks with famous cars.. :)

Nope. Go with GTR 2.

Megasoum

Banned
So there's a new guy with Darin on ISR....

You know what's fucking weird? The guy looks and sound a LOT like Shaun lol... It's almost creepy.

TJP

bsimracing said:
Reiza Studios just announced that they started Beta testing the Game Stock Car 2013 v1.15 Update. The revealed that the update will contain some exciting new content. One of the cars to be added is the 1995 spec Formula V12 with physics created by Niels Heusinkveld. And that’s not all. The good news is that the DLC pack will be a free add-on for GSC2013 owners. The update will most probably also contain the 1980′s version of the “Circuit Gilles Villeneuve” better known as the Canadian Montreal track.

Full info here: http://www.bsimracing.com/reiza-studios-starts-beta-testing-the-game-stock-car-2013-v1-5-update/

Shaneus

Don't announce the beta, just makes me want it more :(

PS. I absolutely love watching Niels' videos. Always talks through the feeling of the cars and their nuances. I wonder if he works in the actual Reiza studios in Brazil, or just remotely?

Edit: Noticed this in another article:
Reiza Studios – Based in Londrina Brazil and with a development staff spread all over the globe, Reiza features some of the most talented developers in simulated racing. If you are a fan of racing simulators, chances are you have already enjoyed some of the creations from members of Reiza Studios.
Explains it.

I think I found a new favourite car…

4 laps of the Top Gear track in a Lada (heavy rain). Such a piece of shit car, with very little grip, but so much fun!

Edit: seems I left the road-reflection settings on low, so the detail is a bit poor, sorry about that.

I really need to play this game more

Love the car choice. I need to pick that up.

rF2's weather is pretty impressive. The drying line, the puddles, the cloud cover, all pretty neat.

ETS2 is wicked, and yeah I've got to play it more too. I just saw some higher density traffic mod that sounded pretty good. I need to check that out.

Spookie

Can you report people on iRacing for having internet connections too shit to race? I just had someone blink in and out like he was fucking invisible every half a second. Ended up warping IN TO my Skippy and destroying both our cars. :/

Can you report people on iRacing for having internet connections too shit to race? I just had someone blink in and out like he was fucking invisible every half a second. Ended up warping IN TO my Skippy and destroying both our cars. :/

That's absolute the worst. Being on someone's gearbox as they disappear is terrifying.

Spookie

That's absolute the worst. Being on someone's gearbox as they disappear is terrifying.

It's frustrating as I'm trying to learn how to race, I can't keep my bottle if I don't have time to react to someone. At least Skippy racing has been SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Mazda most people are considerate enough to give each other space.

Addnan

Is it good? Better than 2012?
Better than 2012, but it's still not a sim if that is what you want. They had an issue where your speed would be determined by how high you can get your framerate. Not sure if that has been fixed. Just give it a try, not the biggest download.

I don't think there is anything to protest because they weren't deliberately doing anything wrong, and the server saw their connection as good enough to not kick them off. I'm not sure why this happens, most of the time everyone is either rock solid or immediately removed. It's best to let the driver know so they can try to address it.

DD

Better than 2012, but it's still not a sim if that is what you want. They had an issue where your speed would be determined by how high you can get your framerate. Not sure if that has been fixed. Just give it a try, not the biggest download.

WHAT?!
loles.gif

It wouldn't be a Kaemmer sim if didn't have disappearing cars. It's part of your Jedi training.

I will say that blinking aside, the netcode is really quite good. If it had poor collision detection, it'd be a sim killer. As long as you're on my screen, I'm totally confident.

It was fixed. From one PC patch change log:

PC FPS Issues:

We’ve made improvements to the PC FPS issue whereby higher specification PC’s had a considerable lap time advantage over lower ones. Although we haven’t yet fully rectified the issue completely across all tracks, we wanted to get these improvements out as soon as possible whilst continuing our investigations to see where further improvement can be made.We have also introduced a frame rate cap at approximately 120 frames per second to limit the extremity of the variation at exceptionally high frame rates. We are confident this change will not result in any visual degradation, and will further prevent the issue being exploited and allow for fairer competition online.We would encourage players to test this in multiplayer races rather than solely relying on AI lap time benchmarks, as there is variation deliberately built into the latter for gameplay reasons. We are aware this is a hot topic and will continue to monitor the forums for feedback once this fix is live.

Spookie

Jesus just finished a clean iRacing Skippy Race. No collisions, two slides due to not paying attention. Feels good to make it through without having to go to the pits! Knocked a full 6 seconds off my previous best lap time. Still 6 seconds off the top but I'm moving up, getting some confidence now!

Jesus just finished a clean iRacing Skippy Race. No collisions, two slides due to not paying attention. Feels good to make it through without having to go to the pits! Knocked a full 6 seconds off my previous best lap time. Still 6 seconds off the top but I'm moving up, getting some confidence now!
Nice one! feelsgoodman.jpg

How big a lip can the G27 clamp on to? I'd like to get one but my desk is pretty thick, if I had the money I'd get a wheel stand but that'd have to wait.

Shaneus

Not that it fits in this thread, but F1 2013 is free to play this weekend. I'm kinda bummed that I can't give it a good crack because I'm actually at the F1 this weekend.

Dave_6

Anyone have any wheel settings (DFGT) for F1 2013? I thought I'd try it out since it's free this weekend but it's obvious that my 900 degree Assetto Corsa settings aren't going to work for F1 cars.

Top Bottom