• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

How big a lip can the G27 clamp on to? I'd like to get one but my desk is pretty thick, if I had the money I'd get a wheel stand but that'd have to wait.

Its adjusts to a wide variety of desk sizes. If you want to make sure, check out an unboxing/setup video for g27 on YouTube. There's tons of them.

DD

Formula Extreme in development!

March is upon us, and the autoracing season is now really underway. Reiza Studios takes the opportunity to announce the development of the Formula Extreme - the first car in a high-end racing simulator based on the F1 technical regulations of 2014 - including a V6 1.6 Turbo engine, 8-speed gearbox, energy recovery systems and DRS.

The release of this new car is part of the exciting new content comprising Game Stock Car Extreme - a series of free DLC packages coming up for Game Stock Car 2013 over the next few months. The first of these releases is to come before the end of march.

https://www.facebook.com/ReizaStudios/posts/10152306813322743

1974035_10152306812662743_1943138538_o.jpg

1504377_10152306812717743_796254865_o.jpg

1926177_10152306812672743_1252824694_o.jpg

Whoa, more stuff? Nice!

It's interesting to see they've got so much of it that they're splitting it up. That's definitely the way to go. All these other sims make news on what's coming to their alpha software, while a finished product like GSC goes forgotten too quickly.

It'll be fun to see how they simulate the power delivery (wall of torque) on the 2014 car.

Shaneus

They even included all the classic DLC stuff in the free package which is surprising considering we're talking about Codemasters here.
Oh, no shit. Any idea if the $17 price includes the classic stuff? I'd almost jump in at that price.

Edit: $17 for regular, add ~$4 for Classic version. Time to hunt down a cheaper price from "somewhere", but the classic add-on.

Edit #2: $12.49 on Amazon. Or classic version for the same price if you buy the classic upgrade on Steam separately.

Formula Extreme in development!

March is upon us, and the autoracing season is now really underway. Reiza Studios takes the opportunity to announce the development of the Formula Extreme - the first car in a high-end racing simulator based on the F1 technical regulations of 2014 - including a V6 1.6 Turbo engine, 8-speed gearbox, energy recovery systems and DRS.

The release of this new car is part of the exciting new content comprising Game Stock Car Extreme - a series of free DLC packages coming up for Game Stock Car 2013 over the next few months. The first of these releases is to come before the end of march.

https://www.facebook.com/ReizaStudios/posts/10152306813322743

1974035_10152306812662743_1943138538_o.jpg

1504377_10152306812717743_796254865_o.jpg

1926177_10152306812672743_1252824694_o.jpg
hnnnnnngh. If they could (and they will) get this out for PC before F1 2014... oh god, it would be glorious. Then all they'd need would be to get tracks/licenses (which appear to be relatively cheap) and it would be game over.

Watevaman

There's nothing like Forza/GT in terms of content, but some of the Need for Speed games like Shift/Shift 2 are good at offering a fair amount of cars and doing stuff to them. I'm sure you can also get into older games like Midnight Club and stuff as well.

JamboGT

I know this is self advertising, but you could give auto club revolution a try, there are changes coming soon to it, but as is it is a simcade type game similar to Forza and GT in that respect and is free to play. Though right now there is only really leaderboards for singleplayer as well as multiplayer.

Spookie

What PC race game is more like Forza? I tried Assetto corsa but that seems more of a simulation and hard to get into.

I say stick with Assetto Corsa, but I love it. Nothing like learning to drive fast and with consistency. But Race 07 is the closest to Forza I think, lots of tracks, lots of cars and it's fairly forgiving when it comes to the physics.

Pjsprojects

I know this is self advertising, but you could give auto club revolution a try, there are changes coming soon to it, but as is it is a simcade type game similar to Forza and GT in that respect and is free to play. Though right now there is only really leaderboards for singleplayer as well as multiplayer.

Can't seem to find Auto club on Steam,is it not listed?

Shaneus

There's nothing like Forza/GT in terms of content, but some of the Need for Speed games like Shift/Shift 2 are good at offering a fair amount of cars and doing stuff to them. I'm sure you can also get into older games like Midnight Club and stuff as well.
It's a crime that Midnight Club LA never made it to PC. That game is god-tier on consoles.

Megasoum

Banned
It's a crime that Midnight Club LA never made it to PC. That game is god-tier on consoles.

The first half or so of the game is amazing but after some point the difficulty mixed with the increased traffics just makes it frustating.

There is definitly some brilliant stuff in there tho. I love how the cops are handled with the radio chatter and the dash cam when you get pulled over.

Shaneus

I thought it was okay on Xbox 360 for the little time I played it. Rockstar on PC are a lot like Ubisoft; quite often highly unoptimised.

Your thoughts Shaneus (I need a PGR fan to agree): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104642751&postcount=126
Oooh... I dunno. I don't know how much I trust Lucid anymore, especially after playing 2K Drive. It's a shadow of any of the sort of games Bizarre used to make.

If I had to, I'd go this route:

Revive = Project Gotham Racing. PGR has (for me) the best sim-arcade handling blend combined with sublime visuals and sound. Lucid Games to develop.

Reboot = RalliSport Challenge - DICE in charge of development.

Reimagine = 4A Games Metro series (2033 and Last Light) as open world sequels to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. Metro 2033 story can be the prologue to a much larger game..

Remake = Project Gotham Racing 2 plus the DLC locations for the Xbox One and PC. Lucid Games to develop both and support with DLC consisting of the real world tracks, city locations and cars from other PGR games. Add weather effects from PGR 4 too.
Revive: Blur. Evolution possibly best to handle this, maybe Sumo. But in conjunction with Lucid. Car combat with multiplayer and real cars needs to make a comeback! And yes, I've seen the iOS game :/

Reboot: Test Drive Unlimited.

Reimagine: Need for Speed. As in, get it back to what the first batch of NFS games were like. Car catalogues that just involved looking at cool (lol) videos of cars, pour over their specs and nice photos before taking them for a cruise. Something like PGR, but with the narration-y things like in Forza (but without using a celebrity to do them).

Remake: PGR2. Hard to argue with you there. Use high-res assets originally obtained, newer car models but keep the existing multiplayer structure and to an extent, even the PGR4 handling*. Evo/Sumo w/ Lucid.

(That's just bouncing off your suggestions. I'd probably choose differently if I went off my own bat)

*Literally just put this in my 360 again for the first time in a month or two to play it again :)

I skipped it almost every time it went on sale but now you're making me rethink that
So worth it. It's been a while, but it's fun as hell from what I can remember. It was certainly far from horrible. If you can find it with all DLC included, get it.
I consider it to be kind of like an open-world PGR. Or if GTA was solely focused on cars and the cars actually drove well. There's a powerup aspect to the cars which I'm not a massive fan of, but the rest of it is really good. It scrubs up well, too... but I can't find any of my old screenshots, and the R* social club appears to have broken the screenshot feature in it :/

TJP

Oooh... I dunno. I don't know how much I trust Lucid anymore, especially after playing 2K Drive. It's a shadow of any of the sort of games Bizarre used to make.
Is it shit or an issue with what 2K want in the game? The other Lucid made games are apparently pretty decent..at least on the Sony platforms.

Revive: Blur. Evolution possibly best to handle this, maybe Sumo. But in conjunction with Lucid. Car combat with multiplayer and real cars needs to make a comeback! And yes, I've seen the iOS game :/
I refuse to believe the iOS version exists 8)

Remake: PGR2. Hard to argue with you there. Use high-res assets originally obtained, newer car models but keep the existing multiplayer structure and to an extent, even the PGR4 handling*. Evo/Sumo w/ Lucid.
myman.gif

(That's just bouncing off your suggestions. I'd probably choose differently if I went off my own bat)
Originally I was going to suggest more hardcore PC racing sims:

• Reimagine: Melbourne House's GP 500 as MotoGP with Stoner, C. approved physics (replacing Kenny Roberts Jnr from GP500). I've had enough of the Milestone made games.
  • Revive: Geoff Crammond and get him to make another F1 game
  • Reboot: the World SBK series. 2001 is still the best SBK sim ever made and Milestone look like they'll never get close to it again after 13 years.

Shaneus

Oh, I meant more that we're thinking about driving games etc. There'd probably be other genres I'd consider ahead of one or two of the ones I picked.

And yeah, I think it's more an issue with Lucid. The game just never drives right and the menu doesn't have any of the old Bizarre aesthetics that tighten up whatever package they're working on. If they'd kept the same content but had a cleaner front-end, I would've been more forgiving. But yeah, the driving is just "okay"... pretty much feels identical to the Real Racing games (and in the case of the freemium structure of the game, feels like RR3 the most).

Can't believe they charge for it despite keeping the freemium bits from when it was free in Sweden (or wherever they tested it first).

Once again, very cool! How do you set something like this up? Are you making some kind of mini green screen to put behind your hands and the rim?

Spookie

Well thanks to Big Takeover & Pazuzu9 I've bought the rest of the modules for my GT Omega wheel stand to build out my racing rig so I can spend more time on iRacing.

Who do I bill? :p

Shaneus

What's the SWE 27 like? This is the first I've heard of it, but it looks like it'd make racing games a lot more fun to play. I don't know how it'd feel with non-F1/open-wheeler cars/sims, but I'm curious to know.

For only $220 or so, seems like a better investment than buying a whole new wheel for a new wheel experience.

Big Takeover's username refers to the many multinational companies he has bought, so I think it's best that you send it to him. ;)

HA! Everyone knows Pazuzu is the demon of dosh :)

Glad you're having a good time with iRacing, Spookie. Fuck Florida!

Maybe one day soon we should do a private GAF race. See if we can drum up some more people to take a 3-for-1 month sub. It's hard to do with people living all over the world, but it might be worth a try.

Mixed feelings about Spa and the Skip. On the one hand it's completely unsuitable, the poor thing can barely get up the hill, and takes almost 3 minutes to get round. It means the races are only 9 laps long, so if there's only one place during a lap where you feel like you can try for a pass, not only do you have just a handful of chances, but you have a very long wait between attempts. It's hard to size up a pass one lap, store it in your mind and then try it for real the next time around.

On the other hand it's so long and has so many wide, sweeping corners and massive straights, it almost feels like doing a normal-sized track entirely in slow-motion, so there is time to think about placement when you're side-by-side and you can get some great battles through several corners. Plus the super-long straights mean you can regain all the time you lost to a much faster driver in the draft, so races often stay very close even if the skill level is quite wide.

Overall though, I think the Skip feels underpowered for Spa - it's a shame there isn't a shorter configuration.

Yeah, I put Spa and Le Mans in the same category of don't bother showing up in anything less than 450hp. They're made for fast cars. It's what makes them unique.

My thoughts while watching that video:

Hmmm this is a bit formal for a random update...

And rather cheesy...

Some impressive work....

Hang on, this is starting to sound like a Ki... oh.

Welp, fair play to the guy, looks promising.

Heh, he got me too. What I'm I watching? OH!

No problem with it though. Good luck to him. If the karting thing doesn't work out, let me suggest trying to bring a consumer version of that sweet looking AU countryside simulator to market! I'd buy that baby in a heartbeat.

Shaneus

Holy shit, good on him for that other simulation project he was on. I had no idea, and now feel kinda bad about being naggy and impatient :(

PS. Yeah, it's a cheesy video... but man, I'm just stoked the project didn't completely die. That footage from the last preview was insane and 100% the most realistic video of any sim I'd ever seen.

PPS. Damn, how slick does that look? It's not on the level of a massive-budget AAA title, but it's at least at the level of something like a Milestone product. Better than, I'd say.

TJP, make sure you keep us updated in this thread with any news!

If the karting thing doesn't work out, let me suggest trying to bring a consumer version of that sweet looking AU countryside simulator to market! I'd buy that baby in a heartbeat.
Track import into Assetto Corsa. BOOM.

Spookie

Overall though, I think the Skip feels underpowered for Spa - it's a shame there isn't a shorter configuration.

Yeah that's the impression I got after doing a couple of laps a night ago. I feels like those shoebox maps put in to games like CoD & BF. They aren't there because they are good, they are there because they are popular and Spa is a fucking popular track.

That being said the wide road will help me reach my 4.0 SR target quite quickly. I want to get to a C licence before taking it easier.

Shaneus

Shall do; hopefully the video gets a little boost from sites like VVV, RaceDepartment, BSimracing and VirtualR.
Do you know if they've see/are aware of them, or are you saying they've already posted about it?

Edit: I know, wrong thread etc., but NFS Rivals... worth $5?

TJP

Do you know if they've see/are aware of them, or are you saying they've already posted about it?
I'm hoping the sim gets extensive coverage on these websites. I think it looks fantastic.

Edit: I know, wrong thread etc., but NFS Rivals... worth $5?
You'd be mad not to at the price!

I don't enjoy Rivals as much as the SMS or Criterion NFS games but it's a decent racer. As usual EA have left the PC version running okay as they've patched the game once. There is a lot of slowdown in heavily populated areas -ironically not cars but areas of the map with a lot of breakable items such as chairs - for users of both AMD and Nvidia GPU's. It's an issue with the game engine as Rivals doesn't tax either the CPU and the GPU. That changes if one downsamples Rivals from 4K though...Funny that Battlefield 4 runs way better with higher graphical settings at 60fps than Rivals does at 30fps!

I've been dying to mention what SimBin have up their sleeves vehicle licence wise and they've released a WIP shot of one Audi in their latest blog:

More here including multiplayer alpha: http://insider.simbin.com/simbin-dev-blog-5/

TJP

I believe this was originally reported on UK Hotdeals but it's now everywhere on the internet. You'll need to find alternative methods to access Origin Sweden (e.g. Hola and Chrome) as EA have woken up and realised how so many have been accessing the store..I look forward to reading feedback on the game, especially the never to be fixed bugs like random freezes that are caused by disappearing road textures and lag in multiplayer 8)

Race Injection for $3.99 (and a shed load of other games: http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/outer-limits-bundle/

New rFactor 2 build is available too:

=====================================================
Update 22 (Build 589-unstable, 590-release) Changelog (March 18, 2014):
=====================================================
GRAPHICS:
————————
Fixed bug with HDR lum histogram when in SLI mode
Fixed 3D Vision problem with tire shader
Added extended ambient shadows under cars
Modified EnvReflections = Off mode to render only sky/clouds into ref map

FEATURES:
————————
Added “+memstats” cmdline option to output memory usage file

BUG FIXES / OPTIMIZATIONS:
————————
Fixed crash on MP lobby UI page
Fixed an issue with duplicate mas names during packaging; incorporated mutex stuff into masBase to allow toggling of mutex requirement during mas object creation
Fixed bug where 1st time running after fresh install keyboard and controller support will be disabled.
Fixed a potential problem with upgrades that adjust gear settings.
Fix issue where sometimes shadows were fuzzy in cockpit until you hit Insert three times.
Fix for sidebars not clearing when exiting replay mode directly from control screen.
Fix for issue where a vehicle is constantly loaded/unloaded in multiplayer when they have a special skin

MODDING / PUBLIC DEV
————————
Added “Copy To Clipboard” button to TTool.
Fixed viewer.exe crash
Corrected rFactor Mod Mode.exe UI
Fixed lockup when mouse is moved in mod mode

UI / HUD / Options:
————————
Added a button to manually transfer loose livery file, so that you may update the server’s copy or get the latest version of the livery stored on the server.
Disabled Mod button if server and client version do not match.

MULTIPLAYER:
————————
Fixed +oneclick crash
Fixed join button greyed out issue
Message box shown if dedicated server is stated with oneclick but no mod is loaded
Reduced likelihood of problem in non-race multiplayer sessions where vehicles that joined late would usually not load.

CONTROLLERS / FFB
————————

AI
————————
Preventing driver database from growing much larger than it needs with duplicate entries
Loading custom paths from the loose track directory (*.aip files contain info for a single path)
Small change attempting to reduce AI tendency to stay behind a slower car.

Top Bottom