• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

TJP

Reiza are pretty damn good and I guess there are quite a lot of parameters built into isimotor that can be fettled.

mrsmr2

Ooh, R3E have alpha MP available for closed beta peeps. Need to decide if I'm going to install it again as I deleted this ages ago.

I'd quite like to try it but it's 12GB of crap to download just test what is probably going to be a buggy online component (and plus the main install is unstable for me too).

Damn it. Now I too own an LG 21:9 monitor. I hope you get a cut of the profits.

Nice! You are in for a treat.

I finally got a chance to do a bunch of laps in several different cars to really get a feeling for what I've gained. For me personally, the added fov is everything I hoped it would be. I am so pleased with it. I can see through corners soooo much better now. I immediately went to Montreal to try the hairpin, and it was a big improvement. It used to be hilarious how late it was before I could see my exit line, which often made me over-turn the corner.

*I think I said I gained 16˚, but it was actually more like 20+˚. I had been running 45˚ (bumped up from the calculated # on a 27" 16:9), so that is a big percentage increase to 66˚. Now, a little bit of that can be contributed to putting this new monitor on an *arm, and having it right behind the rim of my wheel. After years of moving around monitors to play racing sims, I feel like an idiot for not buying an arm sooner.

* iRacing has a built-in fov calculator which outputs horizontal fov. The rFactors use vertical fov which is easy enough to calculate. Just be aware that it's different.

* No doubt unavailable in JP, but for others I got a "HP Single Monitor Arm" which is actually a re-branded Ergotron LX. At current US Amazon prices, it's a savings of 40% over the LX. Same damn thing.

For the other games that have support too, it's pretty slick as well. I haven't run it yet, but I've seen videos of Civ V and it looks wicked! Be sure you grab a program called "Flawless Widescreen". It's very helpful indeed.

Properly measured my distance to the monitor, and realized I had been short changing myself 4" which translated to 11 additional horz. degrees. Up to 77° on the horizontal sims (iRacing, pCARS), and 40° on the vertical sims (rFs, AC). They're like whole new games to me now.

Ugly screenshots ahead! Do not judge me or the sim! Just waiting for the latest Intel parts to start shipping. In a couple weeks I'll be bathing in AA and high qual shadows. :)

Sahzf7wl.jpg

aS0R7prl.png

zxdkoJrl.png

IzDpWucl.png

f9dKQfxl.png

ys9sbeHl.png

It is indeed a great monitor. I was tempted by the 34 inch, but the shop had (thankfully) sold out. An arm seems like an essential purchase though, so that's next on my list.

I've gained zero vertical fov and still use 40, but instead of having a few pixels of pillar encroaching on the bottom of the screen, I can now almost see my wing mirror*.

*in the URD Bayro

Edit: funny you should mention Civ5. It was the second game I tried after rFactor2 and the difference is huge! The only downside being the distance I now need to move my mouse to reach the UI either side. Feels like the left/right edges are in another time zone.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmmm

Thomas posted this on the iracing forum
"Like mentioned before, we are working on a product line
below the CSW and above the CSW. Direct drive is the way to go and it should be
no problem for us to offer a wheel which offers better functionality at a lower
price. But it will still be significantly above the CSW.

Of course all rims will be compatible to all base units so
that our modular system makes most sense and the user can decide between three
different quality and price levels in all product categories: wheel base, wheel
rim, pedals, shifter, cockpits."

So to summarise they are working on a better base and a cheaper base and all products will be compatible with one another.

TJP

Game Stock Car Extreme update from Reiza Studio's FB page:

For those wondering about GSCE v 1.20 release, some info just posted here.

For those who are looking forward to the launch of v 1.20 GSCE, confirm that will come during the month of June, including F-Extreme, F-Vee, Spielberg and Buenos Aires. Some difficulties with the development of the F-Extreme caused the delay, and with this we include what was to be included only in version 1.25. It will be a great update:)

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Another gameplay of the RaceRoom Racing Experience, it's a lap at Red Bull Ring circuit with the Nissan GT-R GT3 (ADAC GT Masters) in Get Real Mode.

This sim is amazing, above all the sounds, and lately there are many tracks and cars without pay nothing.

Another gameplay of the RaceRoom Racing Experience, it's a lap at Red Bull Ring circuit with the Nissan GT-R GT3 (ADAC GT Masters) in Get Real Mode.

This sim is amazing, above all the sounds, and lately there are many tracks and cars without pay nothing.

I check your youtube from time to time for new videos. Keep up the good work!

Megasoum

Banned
Since all the electronic is in the hub now, I suspect they will release a 200$ base that work with the 250$ hub so it would be the same price as the CSW right now but you can use any wheel.

Watevaman

I wish more games had wheel calibration tools ala PCARS and AC. I hope Simbin adds a "degree" slider to RRRE, because I hate having to switch my wheel rotation whenever I want to play those games.

I wish more games had wheel calibration tools ala PCARS and AC. I hope Simbin adds a "degree" slider to RRRE, because I hate having to switch my wheel rotation whenever I want to play those games.

Your post made me think that you, and maybe others with a T500, might not know about Basher's T500 Configuration Manager. It's not unlike the Logitech profiler, if you've ever used that before. It doesn't have the ability to launch games, but it's a lot lighter weight than the junky Logitech one. I consider it an absolute must-have if you've got a T500.

I don't think I use the same settings for any two sims, so keeping the profiles organized and real-time switchable is a God send. An alt-tab away if you've forgotten to switch settings before you've launched.

Watevaman

Thanks for the suggestion, but that still brings two problems for me. First, it's still another program that I have to remember to open before I change games, unless I'm reading it wrong and it automatically changes based on what executable is running. Second, it doesn't really help the root cause of my issue, and that's the fact that different cars have different locks and when the games have a configuration that takes wheel rotation into account, it keeps those locks fairly accurate. For example, if I'm playing pCARS and have my wheel calibrated to 900 degrees, it'll let me use that full rotation for the road cars but then it'll only read, say, 270 if I hop into the Formula A. However, in RRRE (and I haven't tested this fully, so I may be wrong), every car is gonna try and use that full 900 degrees from lock to lock, even if the car should only have 200 degrees of usable steering. Bringing it down helps, but it may affect some cars in a negative way.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong about all this or maybe I'm being picky but pCARS has spoiled me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that still brings two problems for me. First, it's still another program that I have to remember to open before I change games, unless I'm reading it wrong and it automatically changes based on what executable is running. Second, it doesn't really help the root cause of my issue, and that's the fact that different cars have different locks and when the games have a configuration that takes wheel rotation into account, it keeps those locks fairly accurate. For example, if I'm playing pCARS and have my wheel calibrated to 900 degrees, it'll let me use that full rotation for the road cars but then it'll only read, say, 270 if I hop into the Formula A. However, in RRRE (and I haven't tested this fully, so I may be wrong), every car is gonna try and use that full 900 degrees from lock to lock, even if the car should only have 200 degrees of usable steering. Bringing it down helps, but it may affect some cars in a negative way.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong about all this or maybe I'm being picky but pCARS has spoiled me.

Sadly, it's not smart enough to do any exe detection, and I do forget sometimes.

OK, I see what you're saying. I can't speak to RRRE specifically, but yeah, older sims (rF1 based) usually don't have car-specific rotations. For those sims I use that app to do my own for each class of car. Example being GSC 2013 where I have one for karts, touring and open wheel.

For the more modern sims, I leave the rotation maxed and the sim does it automatically. However, I still use that app because my ffb settings are different between each sim. Sometimes pretty dramatically too as the zero-point for some settings aren't consistent between them.

I can't at this very moment, but I'll post my profiles for people to compare to what they're running. Maybe you'll like it better, maybe not.

The only difference I've spotted so far is the AI now has a defensive line.

PS congrats on the new PC!

Ah, interesting. The AI in this sim is absolutely brilliant sometimes.

Thanks, Marv!

All I want to play is rF2 because of the huge jump it's made with new hardware. Of course they're all so much better looking, but none of them had to crawl from the same depth of ugliness as rF2!

Shadowplay is incredible btw. I can whip a gif out in no time flat now.

@TJP Really looking forward to FVee.

zbarron

I just got the Thrustmaster Enzo Ferrari FFB from Goodwill for $20. It's missing the power cable. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of power cable it took and if I could pick it up from RadioShack or something. Is it even worth the $20 plus the cost of the cable at this point? I tested it on my PC and it works for everything except the force feedback and automatic centering. It's also a little hard to steer. I figured I'd ask in this thread because if anyone did know they'd probably frequent a thread like this. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

enzoferraiffbpackprodyguwa.png

I just got the Thrustmaster Enzo Ferrari FFB from Goodwill for $20. It's missing the power cable. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of power cable it took and if I could pick it up from RadioShack or something. Is it even worth the $20 plus the cost of the cable at this point? I tested it on my PC and it works for everything except the force feedback and automatic centering. It's also a little hard to steer. I figured I'd ask in this thread because if anyone did know they'd probably frequent a thread like this. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Cool pick-up. I quickly looked around, but found nothing. Your best bet is to probably email Thrustmaster.

TJP

More news from Reiza Studios:

With two new car series (F-Extreme & F-vee) e 3 novas pistas (Spielberg Historic, Spielberg 2014 & Buenos Aires 2014) GSC Extreme v1.20 packs heavy weight new content, but the existing content has also received plenty of attention. Formula V12 (pictured here at Buenos Aires) has had an extensive graphics and physics revision, and features now a full grid of 12 teams and 24 drivers. Other cars also received updates.

Furthermore, we´ve redone several environment aspects of the sim (vegetation in particular), which both improves the visual as well as substantially boosts overall performance, with more FPS practically eliminating "stuttering" suffered by some systems with v1.15.

V1.20 release estimate: when it´s ready

Top Bottom