• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peer to peer multiplayer should come back

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Over the weekend I had three multiplayer experiences which gave me pause to consider the state of multiplayer gaming today: Elden Ring, Space Marine, and Splendor.

Space Marine, though originally released in 2011 still has a small but fun community of players online. I'm sure this is bolstered by the upcoming sequel, but I periodically play even before it was announced and never had too much trouble getting into at least a basic match. This is thanks entirely to the peer to peer multiplayer design. Had this game been designed for a dedicated server, they would have been shut down long ago and the experience would be totally lost today.

1748024-960400_20110719_006.jpg

Splendor, one of my favorite casual board games, was the opposite. The online servers had been taken down recently without warning, leaving players with a hollow experience. I have 70 hours logged on steam and undoubtedly that time was all spent in online matches. The developers responded to an individual on the discussion boards with a short message saying they didn't want to keep up the servers any longer despite there always being a small group of people playing.

d2eb7f9edd7db9007202702d82f8794af598b2f7.jpeg

Elden Ring was fine as expected, but what happens 15 years from now when they eventually take down the servers? We've seen it with Demon's Souls PS3. Dedicated fans will stand up a server, but in general the experience will be largely lost.

e9KK4VkWA2p1RqtKzNXcJuhy4v6H5sfrgotFmUR0_pATPKuzZY8E8Oc4k8txb1d0LPX75cotvjyTQOuvKVCpEYhFjOOsqUaSBqJiuAfC9eV5QLn4ESMI5XXVbplhGCgQ_IdhIgrN

Internet speeds have vastly improved between players yet we still see plenty of games with dedicated servers being the only online option. I know of the negatives with p2p of course. Increased lag between players, mid game host migration, security/cheating, networking issues, unbalanced competition, etc, but at least you can still play it.

Last edited:
Ideally during the game's supported lifespan the developer provides dedicated servers. Then, when the call is made to end support, they open-source the server code so that the community can run their own servers.

Like if Northstar for Titanfall 2 had been built on open-sourced server code from Respawn.

(This doesn't happen for a variety reasons.)

Remember when id Software used to open-source their game code after a while?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can see why P2P servers are great after the game studio is done supporting online.

But during the normal course of service, I'd pass. P2P was the worst in old COD games. Thank god for seamless host migration. I'd estimate at least 25% of my games back then bombed to the lobby because the host quit.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
They need to open source at EOL.

The only other option is waiting on players' to reverse engineer (like Metal Gear Online 1 and 2) which can take incredible amounts of time and effort and usually restricts the game to emulators or jailbroken hardware.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Internet speeds have vastly improved between players yet we still see plenty of games with dedicated servers being the only online option. I know of the negatives with p2p of course. Increased lag between players, mid game host migration, security/cheating, networking issues, unbalanced competition, etc, but at least you can still play it.
Yea and you know what the companies prefer you don't do with old games when they are trying to sell you a new one with +1 in the digit version?

Anyway - had consoles been the only place to play online, P2P would likely still be alive and well (no publisher under the sun would complain if they could save $ on the servers) - but it's just not a viable model most of the time on every other hacked to the n-th degree platform.

winjer

Gold Member
Hell no. P2P servers suck balls.

What we need is companies to release the online sdk, so gamers can set up their own servers.
This was the way during the golden age of PC multiplayer gaming.

Top Bottom