• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PEGGLE 2 |OT| THE BEST GAME EVER...AGAIN.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I can see people enjoying these games. I just do not see the monetary worth in them because of free games. I am more of cardgame and sudoku player anyway.

Anyway, I am stuck to times of free timewasters and seeing these selling for over tenner just seems weird.

Edit: Just watched a video. Yeah would not pay money for it. Nice visual style tough.Edit2:Screw that. For the visual style/humor i would pay euro or two.

Quality of presentation is what separates the freebies online to the pay-for puzzle games to me. Not to mention things like leaderboards, people I know actually PLAYING them, and all the connectivity of Live / PSN / Miiverse.

There were times when Puzzle games had just as much production value as any platformer or adventure game out there, and I think the concept that puzzle games are "just freebie online timewasters" has really messed with peoples concepts of quality puzzlers.

And for the record, I really liked Wizorb, but I thought Breakquest was a bit poorly balanced. It felt like stages lasted too long, and I disliked the lack of control I felt I had in moment-to-moment gameplay.

The quality that goes into making not only good puzzle gameplay, but adding in a good, balanced competitive layer atop of that, is not something to be taken lightly. A good reason why Bust a Move 2 and Tetris Attack still stand high atop puzzle games for me, even to this day. The memories I have from playing them with friends and family goes way beyond the few dollars I spent to acquire them (My sibling and I were so into BAM 2, we even got my mom to try it out a few times...)

Peggle's formula may be simplistic, but it's highly entertaining and as with most PopCap games, the quality of presentation and the amount of content is unparalleled compared to most other casual games, free or otherwise.

I was quite impressed when I first played Plants VS Zombies, because it felt like something that had "SNES polish" to it's presentation, rather than just being a freebie-flash product. And Shiggy's musical inspirations from older games REALLY showed through.

PopCap is one of the best in the genres now, and frankly... that actually makes me quite sad. I'd love to see what $40 retail level puzzlers could pull off now-a-days, or what a puzzle quest 1 a'like could do with a massive budget. But instead all we generally get are still portraits, voice-less actions, and an over-reliance on particle effects rather than stage transitions and animated blocks.

I would just like some leaderboards. Is that to much to ask. Them not being there really ruins the game for me.

Ryse doesn't even have leaderboards yet, which makes no sense for a game of that caliber of production. There must be something globally-off about leaderboards on X1, because they're nowhere near as extensive as you would expect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
^ Agreed. On one hand, I'm thankful for the likes of XBLA, Steam, iOS, and so on. They've provided venues for puzzle games to thrive, when they would otherwise die on retail shelves. On the other hand, no one is ever going to take a risk on creating a high production value, 'retail sized' puzzle game anymore. Not when most people expect them to be sold for pocket change, or completely free for that matter.

Edit: I mean think about scams like angry birds and bejejejejejejweweweweweled on consoles.
Edit2: I just realised I see timewasting as enemy nowdays. All the wasted time. What could have been done. Äh, I am reflecting my own isuues to others.

Dude, now you're talking smack about Bejeweled? We can never be friends.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You sound like every other person that hasn't played Peggle yet. I was confused about it before I did as well. It's hard to explain but the game is addictive as hell and lots of fun. Thats really all there is to it.

What's so hard to explain about it? It has a great balance of "luck" and "skill" to it's gameplay, it's fairly fast paced, and the accompanying sound and visual feedback makes your accomplishments feel like THE BEST THING EVER while playing.

Like all the best puzzlers, it's easy to approach, but hard to master. Unlike most AAA games, which offer an experience that's worth a playthrough or 2, then forgotten until the next iteration next year, a well-made puzzler can endure for years; Either as casual party games, or crazy Tournament-level competition games. At their best, they're like fighting games for a different, wider-range type of gamer.

You sound like every other person that hasn't played Peggle yet. I was confused about it before I did as well. It's hard to explain but the game is addictive as hell and lots of fun. Thats really all there is to it.

We value things differently... At some point when i realised that i played timewasters just because of their addictive nature i started to stay away from them. I ralised it was really a waste of time. I do care for brain training games. Like sudoku. Did one summer every day hours of sudoku and got quite good in it... When constantly solving hardest of them in 10min or less i quit because it was pointless to continue. I saw the gameplay mechanic and i really would not like to be addicted to that.
And please note I do not play much games nowdays anyway. Have been playing Vagrant Story and have over 20 hours on clock, but it is increasingly hard to enjoy gaming as time goes by.

Edit: And it is sadly ironic that i waste my time here in gaf. I have lots of schoolwork to do. I have to program a game for gods sake (tic-tac-toe (with possibility to go larger than 3x3, 20x20 for example. ) game in level of preinstalled windows games (presentation and feature wise))

Dude, now you're talking smack about Bejeweled? We can never be friends.
I do not say bejejejejeweweweled is bad game. It is clear example of free web game.

What's so hard to explain about it? It has a great balance of "luck" and "skill" to it's gameplay, it's fairly fast paced, and the accompanying sound and visual feedback makes your accomplishments feel like THE BEST THING EVER while playing.

Like all the best puzzlers, it's easy to approach, but hard to master. Unlike most AAA games, which offer an experience that's worth a playthrough or 2, then forgotten until the next iteration next year, a well-made puzzler can endure for years; Either as casual party games, or crazy Tournament-level competition games. At their best, they're like fighting games for a different, wider-range type of gamer.

Whats hard to explain about it is that you're basically just launching balls at pegs and watching what happens :p It's hard to get the appeal from just looking at it. That is a good explanation though and I agree.

see5harp

In this thread some dude with no actual experience playing Peggle is is trying to argue about why a game like this is not worth his time. Thank you for your informed opinion I guess I'll waste my time playing this other video game. Oh wait I could actually be learning a foreign language instead of playing video games? Well I guess I'll go mow my lawn.

MajorPain

Was looking to buy this game yesterday but thought I read yesterday there is no local multiplayer, can someone please comfirm this?

rainz

Hopefully there is local multi as the only thing worse than the Gf taking up the tv with freaking peggle is not being able to at least beat her at it at the same time..

Ryse doesn't even have leaderboards yet, which makes no sense for a game of that caliber of production. There must be something globally-off about leaderboards on X1, because they're nowhere near as extensive as you would expect.

Forza 5 and Killer Instinct do have leaderboards though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A few memorable shots from my Gnomino Play... because he keeps making cool shots for me! (I'm not Peggle Master, so don't expect amazing Board-clear-in-ones, lol.)

http://youtu.be/mVXol54K1hw

Whats hard to explain about it is that you're basically just launching balls at pegs and watching what happens :p It's hard to get the appeal from just looking at it. That is a good explanation though and I agree.

It always surprises me when Gamers need to be reminded that it's the small nuances that make games memorable and enjoyable. But I guess we all play games for different reasons. Still, I love those moments when you can say just a word, or just perform a simple motion to another gamer... and they know EXACTLY what you mean, even though it was such a SIMPLE thing, haha.

As soon as I see a game having that kind of charm, it becomes much easier for me to understand why people can freak-out about it.

Yup, as does Crimson Dragon. Though I think the Skylanders Swap-Force ones might still be bugged, too. It really is odd seeing what works, and what doesn't, especially since you'd think such a thing as Scoreboards would be the most easy thing to get working in a game. But too many sources show that there must be SOMETHING amiss...

sangreal

"Coming Soon" for Ryse though

There is a shitty peggle leaderboard on the store which just shows the objectives reached for your top 4 friends or something. Gives me hope that they're at least tracking stats for future leaderboards

"Coming Soon" for Ryse though

There is a shitty peggle leaderboard on the store which just shows the objectives reached for your top 4 friends or something. Gives me hope that they're at least tracking stats for future leaderboards

Yeah, saw that. If you compare achievements, you can also see the number of blue/orange pegs you've cleared compared to that friend (I know, who cares?).

Really though, this gen should have integrated much more leaderboard/stat tracking than last. The compare achievements metrics are a nice start, but I want to be able to get granular and see how my gameplay experience compared to my friends'.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, saw that. If you compare achievements, you can also see the number of blue/orange pegs you've cleared compared to that friend (I know, who cares?).

Really though, this gen should have integrated much more leaderboard/stat tracking than last. The compare achievements metrics are a nice start, but I want to be able to get granular and see how my gameplay experience compared to my friends'.

I'm at least happy that "Kill X many enemies" style achievements are no counted and tracked at a system-level, and all have a progress bar in the achievement list. Even the dynamic "Challenges" do this.

Maybe they can add some type of leaderboard functionality to the "Community Meld" area of Microsoft Studios Games in the future, as well. I'd love to see features like that connecting not only users for a single game, but across all games from a company as well. It's a smart way to keep games in-the-know and in front of the eyes of players longer. I hated seeing great XBLA games in the past fall into "no one cares anymore" territory, even when they were still receiving updates...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I spent a pretty insane amount of time in MP. Pretty damn fun to just have in the background while I was browsing stuff on my laptop, I noticed a ton of people seem to use Jeff since his boulder gives a ton of burst points. I've mainly used the yeti and the gnome.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We value things differently... At some point when i realised that i played timewasters just because of their addictive nature i started to stay away from them. I ralised it was really a waste of time. I do care for brain training games. Like sudoku. Did one summer every day hours of sudoku and got quite good in it... When constantly solving hardest of them in 10min or less i quit because it was pointless to continue. I saw the gameplay mechanic and i really would not like to be addicted to that.
And please note I do not play much games nowdays anyway. Have been playing Vagrant Story and have over 20 hours on clock, but it is increasingly hard to enjoy gaming as time goes by.

Edit: And it is sadly ironic that i waste my time here in gaf. I have lots of schoolwork to do. I have to program a game for gods sake (tic-tac-toe (with possibility to go larger than 3x3, 20x20 for example. ) game in level of preinstalled windows games (presentation and feature wise))

I do not say bejejejejeweweweled is bad game. It is clear example of free web game.

It's clear you've never played Peggle, it's not a repetitious time waster, it sometimes involves quite a bit of skill, similar to something like billiards, it's all about angles. Plus the soundtrack is awesome. It's a lot of fun.

I love this game but I don't understand why PopCap couldn't have taken the time to actually finish the game. No leaderboards, no local multiplayer, online running like dogshit, and just an overall lack of polish and content compared to what they've done in the past.

Still fun as ever, though. So damn addicting. I'm glad to have something without so much death and with happy sounds that I can have running since my wife is sick of hearing Ryse, DR3, etc.

I love this game but I don't understand why PopCap couldn't have taken the time to actually finish the game. No leaderboards, no local multiplayer, online running like dogshit, and just an overall lack of polish and content compared to what they've done in the past.

Its the EA curse unfortunately, looking at Fifa, BF4, Sim City, NBA Live it seems they probably tear up a list of dates and put them in a hat, then have a little dance around and pick one out and thats the date it has to ship.

Probably then play bingo to work out which features will be missing or borked.

Ive not yet played online but the game is still very good and very "just one more level!" they just need to get it finished though.

I hope the shopping basket remains as "coming soon" until they've put everything else back.

MajorPain

Bought the game last night despite the lack of local multiplayer and leaderboards.

Anyway I start playing and my wife walks into my game room and ask what are you playing, is that a computer game. No its Peggle 2 on the Xbox One and she ask do you have a 2nd controller. :( I explain that we can't play multiplayer. Hope they add this very soon.

Papercuts

Little moments like this shot make this game amazing.

http://sdrv.ms/1d8qjsr

It's a shame every actual forced recording the game does is pretty bad. It just picks up big score shots and shows it from partway in, or when you make it into the 100K hole which is usually not exciting.

Still fun as ever, though. So damn addicting. I'm glad to have something without so much death and with happy sounds that I can have running since my wife is sick of hearing Ryse, DR3, etc.

I'm convinced EA just decided the game had to be out the door before Christmas, and that was that. This seems to be the trend with EA games this fall, and I'm normally not that "hate EA" guy at all. The fact is almost all of their next gen games have lots of issues.

BF4 - where do I start? It's a mess.

NFS: Rivals - shipped with an annoying framerate bug, fair amount of other random bugs, online is kinda fucked, and the game crashes semi often.

NBA Live - apparently it's terrible

Peggle 2 - missing rudimentary shit like leaderboards, and local co-op.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm finding myself having fun revisitng old master's stages with different ones; Really makes some of them seem uber-unfair, without the recommended special abilities. It's amazing how great/horrific Luna's Nightshade ability can feel on different maps...

I love the fact they spent some time on these costumes... seeing (and hearing!) different animals atop Jeffy, or seeing different mini-creatures inside Gnomino's mecha-suit... So nice to have something deeper than just color palette-swaps. Though I feel it'll be a long time before I ever see anyone's 4th costume, with the need to complete all objectives, heh.

Little moments like this shot make this game amazing.

http://sdrv.ms/1d8qjsr

It's a shame every actual forced recording the game does is pretty bad. It just picks up big score shots and shows it from partway in, or when you make it into the 100K hole which is usually not exciting.

Cool :) It's be nice if the recorder was just smart enough to rewind and choose a snapshot from the point of the ball being shot, all the way to the end of the shot. Would make auto-clips a lot less annoying.

You wouldn't think this would be too impossible to do, though it might slow down performance some, if done poorly...

Peggle 2 cwips from the gwwaaaaave:

http://sdrv.ms/18VFZ5I

It's fun cutting highlights reels with Game DVR, ha. Always great to watch a string of "There's no way I'm gonna hit all those!" Oranges somehow blend into one nice, full-screen combo.

UNCMark

Banned
Peggle 2 - missing rudimentary shit like leaderboards, and local co-op.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wacky reveal at E3 was due to the fact that they hadn't even started work on the game yet. Hopefully a good deal of the fixes and features appear as free patches and not microtransactions.

Papercuts

I'm finding myself having fun revisitng old master's stages with different ones; Really makes some of them seem uber-unfair, without the recommended special abilities. It's amazing how great/horrific Luna's Nightshade ability can feel on different maps...

I love the fact they spent some time on these costumes... seeing (and hearing!) different animals atop Jeffy, or seeing different mini-creatures inside Gnomino's mecha-suit... So nice to have something deeper than just color palette-swaps. Though I feel it'll be a long time before I ever see anyone's 4th costume, with the need to complete all objectives, heh.

Cool :) It's be nice if the recorder was just smart enough to rewind and choose a snapshot from the point of the ball being shot, all the way to the end of the shot. Would make auto-clips a lot less annoying.

You wouldn't think this would be too impossible to do, though it might slow down performance some, if done poorly...

It's fun cutting highlights reels with Game DVR, ha. Always great to watch a string of "There's no way I'm gonna hit all those!" Oranges somehow blend into one nice, full-screen combo.

Haha, that clip was actually one where I went "xbox record that" and trimmed a bit, the autorecord didn't pick it up. But yeah, I can imagine it being pretty difficult for the game to really know when a cool shot is happening beyond just high points.

I noticed in MP it lets you scroll through and see all the costumes. can't pick them but it gives a good look at them.

Enjoying the game a lot, still very fun. On the second to last master and feeling like they should have had more, don't see why they couldn't have had more levels for some of the ones on the first game/nights.

Need to do the trials still.

I do really dislike Gravely Grove... the special ball thing is rubbish

Papercuts

Luna's power is easily the hardest to use, but it can still bring in huge points. But it can definitely just slip by getting just about nothing.

Yep - feels like a punishment more than a power.

The game gives your some hints such as to use it when you have a high multiplier etc which is also sort of obvious but its the fact that you can't choose when you use it (unless i've horrendously missed something!) and its annoying but oh well.

I don't really know why considering how often the game crashes for me but i've got all but one achievement (900/1000 atm), final one to get is complete all 180 of the optional objectives, currently done 150 of them.

Love the game, tons to do, but the crashing and some other bugs i've had are annoying. Hoping for an expansion pack at some point.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've been playing too much of this shit man. On the last world.

I'm starting to see the gaf thread list as a peggle course. Thread titles are pegs, and so are the thread starter, last post, replies #, and view # columns. Shooter is the privacy button.

dejay

Banned
I've been playing too much of this shit man. On the last world.

I'm starting to see the gaf thread list as a peggle course. Thread titles are pegs, and so are the thread starter, last post, replies #, and view # columns. Shooter is the privacy button.

Code:
|  *     *     *           *     *     *     *     *  |
|     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     |
|  *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *  |
|                                                     |