• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PEGGLE 2 |OT| THE BEST GAME EVER...AGAIN.

Oscar

Just 100%'d The first chapter involving Bjorn (stages and trials).

Having a blast. These first few hours alone were worth the $12.

U2NUMB

Loving the game so far... the 12 dollar price point is spot on. I am a bit let down there are no leaderboards or good stat tracking but as far as fun goes.. its peggle so its a blast.

The title screen for those that want to hear the music in the menu Peggle 2 Title Screen it really builds into something cool as it goes along.

That shopping cart menu with "Coming Soon" on it is slightly worrying...

It didn't look like there were a whole lot of characters in this game either. Could be remembering wrong but I thought there were more in Peggle 1. Also I didn't like either of the new powers they showed in the quicklook. The Deep Freeze one was interesting, but didn't look really fun in practice, and the boulder one looked like the cannon power from the first game except it goes mostly straight down.

It is cheap though, so I can forgive does seem a little light on new stuff, but I'm not sure it's enough to get me to buy it right away. It mostly got me interested in playing more Peggle 1+Nights+EXTREME

I see these launch DVR as a necessary evil. Like achievements, devs are still experimenting when to do them. Give it 6 months/a year, and they'll be capturing the best stuff. Peggle is a step in the right direction than Ryse.

You'll be thankful for it when you get a genuine "Did you see that?!" moment (without jumping in to GameDVR to do it).

But you can say "Xbox record that" anytime you want, so I'm really not thankful when this game auto records a mundane shot.

I'm a bit upset at the picture for peggle 2 that they use as the pin and on the store.

It looks very empty I hope they update it (small annoyance admittedly but still!)

Oscar

I'm a bit upset at the picture for peggle 2 that they use as the pin and on the store.

It looks very empty I hope they update it (small annoyance admittedly but still!)

Reminds me of this Diablo 3 t-shirt.

d3-tshirt-rainbows.jpg

braves01

Banned
I just finished watching the Giant Bomb quick, and I'm now worried about the ominous "coming soon" shopping cart, especially given the paucity of Peggle masters and levels.

The background art is really disappointing to me as well. The Peggle 1/Nights art wasn't "good" art per se, but it had a certain charm that seems lacking in the more generic nature scenes I saw in the quick look.

Oscar

Anyone know what a "Double Power style shot" is? Can't find anything on the "How to Play" guide on it.

I know what a Double long shot is, but not a Double Power.

Phreaker

Anyone know what a "Double Power style shot" is? Can't find anything on the "How to Play" guide on it.

I know what a Double long shot is, but not a Double Power.

See my video above at 6s in I hit the 2nd powerup in one shot and it says "Double Power"

Kysel

So guys, this worth it?
What are we looking at for time to completion (hours)?
Any good for playing with the girlfriend?

hawk2025

So guys, this worth it?
What are we looking at for time to completion (hours)?
Any good for playing with the girlfriend?

Like I said a couple of pages back, I feel cheated out of $12.

The local multiplayer has been yanked out, there's no leaderboards, less masters, and there are not 120 levels as advertised -- half of them are 1 or 2 ball trials/challenges.

It can be finished in about 2 hours, but each level has three challenges -- although 2 of them are always a high score and clearing the board of all pegs, so there's really one challenge per regular level and the usual Extreme Fever/high score chase.

It's a pretty empty game, with broken online (at least last night, haven't tried to play online again today yet) and surprising framerate issues.

...with all that said, it's still more Peggle. If you still want to jump in knowing all of that, I'm sure you'll love it.

Kysel

Like I said a couple of pages back, I feel cheated out of $12.

The local multiplayer has been yanked out, there's no leaderboards, less masters, and there are not 120 levels as advertised -- half of them are 1 or 2 ball trials/challenges.

It can be finished in about 2 hours, but each level has three challenges -- although 2 of them are always a high score and clearing the board of all pegs, so there's really one challenge per regular level and the usual Extreme Fever/high score chase.

It's a pretty empty game, with broken online (at least last night, haven't tried to play online again today yet) and surprising framerate issues.

...with all that said, it's still more Peggle. If you still want to jump in knowing all of that, I'm sure you'll love it.

But dude... PEGGLE
:p

Yeah I've seen all of those complaints and im sure local multi and leaderboards will be patched in.
What amazes me is that they haven't thought of making a level creator, that can be shared over live. Crazy, would add longevity to the title. As well as doing their job of creating new content for them

Gamejunky

I'm having a hard time getting into this as I've had it crash on me three times. Once during single player and twice during multiplayer. It brings me to the dashboard and I have to reload the game. Feels like this game is really unfinished.

Haven't seen a single framerate issue through the first two characters. Definitely enjoying myself, but the lack of leaderboards continues to bum me out.

KJ869

It seems pretty hard to believe EA manages to launch even Peggle2 unfinished and janky. They have excellent track record this year..

I can't see if this has been posted yet.

A Note From Our Producer (Peggle 2)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peggle/a-note-from-our-producer/581968561870658

Wow. On one hand, it's great to hear that local multiplayer is coming back and they're not just abandoning the idea of people playing Peggle together, but on the other hand it's insane that it shipped without it. Normally, I'm really lenient on EA, but their policy of rushing half-finished games out the door has come to a ridiculous degree.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm not a big Peggle fan really... I never purchased it or Nights on 360, somehow, only played the demo a few times.

But I figured I'd give this one a shot Since I REALLY wanted a nice puzzle game on the ONE. A few impressions:

+ I like the basic structure, simple and straightforward.
+ Little touches liked the remixed music and menu-selection tunes are welcome fun.
+ BIG THANK YOU for whomever decided to actually animate the masters as big sprites.
-- I really hate how much extra fun animations have disappeared from modern puzzlers.
-- The fact they have 3 unlockable costumes and memorable, more-than-skeletal-rotation animations really helps sell me.​
+ Lively stages, with nice cut-in intros, some fun animations in the BG on occasion.
+ Great layered music, though I'd love to hear some original pieces too. The remixes and such really help there, though.
+ The Kinect Play isn't bad. It seems odd at seeking you at first, but once you start moving...
+ I never feel like the controls hold me back in any way. DPad and holding buttons for precision (or holding up 2 fingers with Kinect) seems like all you'd ever need...

- You can't re-size the screen for sub 1080P screens / potential overscan. Why?
- It could at LEAST make it fit to my systems screen settings...
- No Local MP? (Glad to see this is getting patched in for free...)
- It really needs to keep a record of your previous score, so you can SMASH it in subsequent plays...
- The options are as bare-bones as possible. No different peg options? No sound test?
- There should be a gallery option to review movies, view art, etc.

For me, I really don't care if puzzle games have 2000 stages, if they skimp on personality and presentation. It just makes them feel less like a full package, and more barebones and un-loved.

I tolerate this from Indie games (Though even they have standouts, like Sum Fighter on XBLIG), because I know design is a big obstacle towards getting out a fresh idea, for a small team... but things like Bust a Move LIVE were massively disappointing on 360, because they had less charm and soul than even their old PS1 / Arcade / Saturn counterparts. Why should SNES Tetris Attacks / Panel De Pon beat out almost every modern puzzler from the past 15 years in presentation? The only non-port puzzlers that really had personality for me on XBLA were basically Yosumin! ( similar Japanese-happy-hype like Bust a Move 2) and Poker Smash (it's stage skins and soundtrack were quality!)

So, yeah, I'm glad to buy a game like this, because I went through most of last gen (and even the introduction of Puyo Puyo X Tetris) just wondering why puzzle games have become so void of life / put character animation and personality so far back on the priority list. Glad to see this game makes a multitude of strong steps towards going beyond that. I hope this continues within it's duel mode, and with possible future Master DLC.

Played about four hours last night and almost finished the game (minus trials and all objectives). Great, fun game, but I really wish there were more masters. Even 1 or 2 more and the game would've felt much bigger than it is. Still good value for $12, especially since I see myself going for all the trials and objectives, but still wish there was a little more.

Lima

I hope they add some masters as DLC. I don't see myself getting all 180 objectives from the original masters so more masters to help with that achievement would be cool.

see5harp

I can't see if this has been posted yet.

A Note From Our Producer (Peggle 2)

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peggle/a-note-from-our-producer/581968561870658

I'm willing to accept that they were rushed and couldn't get everything they wanted in the game. But don't come out after the fact and to try and claim you are doing us a favor by including this bullshit ass mode that already existed in the first game. Prioritization of basic ass shit like leaderboards should come way before this. Hell, their multiplayer is like the most barebones thing ever. It doesn't even show you the best shot of the match, which was also a part of the first game.

EDIT: I played in a party last night so I don't think online is broken, but that is where you start to see framerate go down. I didn't have a problem playing the single player aside from strange stutters in cutscene. Sound effects and music is INCREDIBLE in this game though. I'll give Popcap it's props for that. Some of the remix/alt versions of songs in the trials were pretty awesome.

I'm having a hard time getting into this as I've had it crash on me three times. Once during single player and twice during multiplayer. It brings me to the dashboard and I have to reload the game. Feels like this game is really unfinished.

Happened a few times to me already too. This and a lack of leaderboards is quite a bummer. Game is decent though. Hope they can patch it up soon.

Nori Chan

There's so much hype around this game that I really want to try it now lol. I have never played the first one should I go play that to familiarize myself? Or it it just the same?

There's so much hype around this game that I really want to try it now lol. I have never played the first one should I go play that to familiarize myself? Or it it just the same?

The mechanics are exactly the same as the first Peggle -- don't see a reason why you couldn't just jump right in! Despite the missing features, it's definitely worth the $12 investment.

Unless you want something to play on your bone I'd say just go with the first one. It's pretty much the same thing, just with different tables and masters. And right now it's better than the second in some ways.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
He makes it sound like they're giving us a special treat by offering it for free when it really should have been in the game from day one.

Whatever, as long as it's in when the game hits other platforms, I'm happy.

I'll have to wait to see how it turns out before I know if his tone is overdone. Looking at old duel mode, that thing had barely any personality, and a cheap switch between faces to show who'se turn it was.

If they upgraded to the characters actually responding to each other, or add a few new animations to them for VS, rather than just having it be an offline version of the online MP windows, then I'd be quite impressed. That'd be worth a bit of waiting.

It's Plinko from "The Price is Right!" The first one has a demo on XBLA, you can play that if you have access, and it's probably free online in a multitude of ways.

For me, this eclipses the first game, because it's presentation of Old "Computer Graphic Adventure" style art was a good turn-off. This feels more like a console / arcade game from the 90s, which I quite like. But older Peggle definitely has the puzzle content edge over this one so far, especially with it's cheap DLC in comparison, and the fact that it comes in various PopCap bundles / has been released on EVERYTHING.

Not all puzzle timewaster games are created equal. Feel free to post any free flash games you think stack up to Peggle.

I do not play them as they are generally waste of time. Have got some free minis from facebook campaing sony has had. fully completed one arkanoid clone game out of boredom, but then tried wizorb or what it was and it was just bad. I played quite a bit treasures of montenzuma blitz or what it was, but would never pay a dime for one. Timewaster would have to have god damn lot to offer for me to pay for it. I can see people enjoying these games. I just do not see the monetary worth in them because of free games. I am more of cardgame and sudoku player anyway.
Anyway, I am stuck to times of free timewasters and seeing these selling for over tenner just seems weird.

Edit: Just watched a video. Yeah would not pay money for it. Nice visual style tough.Edit2:Screw that. For the visual style/humor i would pay euro or two.

NuKERxyz

I do not play them as they are generally waste of time. Have got some free minis from facebook campaing sony has had. fully completed one arkanoid clone game out of boredom, but then tried wizorb or what it was and it was just bad. I played quite a bit treasures of montenzuma blitz or what it was, but would never pay a dime for one. Timewaster would have to have god damn lot to offer for me to pay for it. I can see people enjoying these games. I just do not see the monetary worth in them because of free games. I am more of cardgame and sudoku player anyway.
Anyway, I am stuck to times of free timewasters and seeing these selling for over tenner just seems weird.

You answered yourself.

For you its a timewaster, for some its a game to have some fun.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Two block-breakers and a F2P match-3 game? Have you even played Peggle? Sure, they could all fall under the vague description of 'casual gaming', but again, not all of these games are created equal. Peggle's formula may be simplistic, but it's highly entertaining and as with most PopCap games, the quality of presentation and the amount of content is unparalleled compared to most other casual games, free or otherwise. And on top of that, we're talking about $12 here, that's like two drinks on a night out. Seems like an alright deal to me.

To each to own and all that, I can understand if it's not your thing, but I feel you're being a little reductive here.

jim2011

So, now that Peggle 2 is out in the world, what are we doing? While I can’t reveal too much, I’m happy to announce that we’re currently focused on bringing you a multiplayer mode that may sound familiar to Peggle veterans: Duels! This new mode will enable players to compete against each other, in the same room or across the Internet, head-to-head on the same board. We loved Duel mode in the original Peggle and can’t wait to bring it into the updated world of Peggle 2!

We’ll be announcing details soon, but rest assured that we’re working to bring you Duels as soon as we possibly can. For free. Because free is rad and you fine folks deserve it.

I’m also happy to announce that Duels are just the beginning. There are lots of surprises in store for Peggle 2 fans and we’ll be bringing you regular updates as we continue to expand and add to the world that we’ve built.
Source

I know it was posted already but I felt like there was more text that people would want to read from it. Mainly the part that duels are just the beginning and that there is more content to come.

ahartig

Loving the game so far.

Sound is amazing.

Quick reminder that the right and left bumbers work wonders if you need to make a super precise shot.

Two block-breakers and a F2P match-3 game? Have you even played Peggle? Sure, they could all fall under the vague description of 'casual gaming', but again, not all of these games are created equal. Peggle's formula may be simplistic, but it's highly entertaining and as with most PopCap games, the quality of presentation and the amount of content is unparalleled compared to most other casual games, free or otherwise.And on top of that, we're talking about $12 here, that's like two drinks on a night out. Seems like an alright deal to me.

To each to own and all that, I can understand if it's not your thing, but I feel you're being a little reductive here.

We value money and entertaiment way differently :D Content has to packed for being over tenner. Game mechanics makes or brakes these games. The price still really shocks me. It still seems like glorified puzzler. Altough i do not know all the content this game has so "mene ja tiedä".

Edit: I mean think about scams like angry birds and bejejejejejejweweweweweled on consoles.
Edit2: I just realised I see timewasting as enemy nowdays. All the wasted time. What could have been done. Äh, I am reflecting my own isuues to others.

We value money and entertaiment way differently :D Content has to packed for being over tenner. Game mechanics makes or brakes these games. The price still really shocks me. It still seems like glorified puzzler. Altough i do not know all the content this game has so "mene ja tiedä".

Edit: I mean think about scams like angry birds and bejejejejejejweweweweweled on consoles.

You sound like every other person that hasn't played Peggle yet. I was confused about it before I did as well. It's hard to explain but the game is addictive as hell and lots of fun. Thats really all there is to it.

Top Bottom