• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Very few people are asking for the program to be removed permanently.

However, it's ludicrous to think that the problem is solved, especially when folks like this are elected by PENN STATE ALUMNI TO THEIR BOARD OF TRUSTEES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2qI-lH6SIU&feature=player_embedded

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_phil...-joe-paterno-penn-state-leaks-jerry-sandusky/ (Yes, I know he had an inspirational story. However, he did support Joe and felt the BOT did him wrong by dismissing him in November.)

Exactly. The institutional influences that made these executives believe covering up child rape was a better alternative than doing what is right by these children is why Penn State needs severe punishments and sanctions. It is not just 4 people who created a culture where it was better to cover up wrong doings than jeopardize the wealth and reputation of the program. The way that Penn State is positioned at this point in time is no different than what Penn State was like during the years that agents who were hired by the University successfully ignored or protected a former-assistant coach who raped children using school facilities. They allowed this man to continue to have an office at the University and did nothing to prevent him from participating in the Second Mile NPO that Sandusky used to exploit young boys.

The school cannot just fire four employees to avoid punishment and severe financial sanctions for their contribution to Sandusky's presence at the University after employees of the school witnessed him raping children using their facilities.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

A story about the resistance in Penn State and how the cult in Pennsyltucky is so insular. Glad to see Vicky Triponey vindicated.

edit.

Randy Edsall comes out looking good from this, world turned upside down (he infamously ditched Uconn for Maryland).

Spanier came to her home and sat in her living room after Paterno lost his temper at the meeting about the players involved in the brawl. She said he told her, "Well, Vicky, you are one of a handful of people, four or five people, who have seen the dark side of Joe Paterno. We're going to have to do something about it."
Can't have anyone around that Paterno doesn't like, or that knows he's not just a gentle ol' grandpa.

The whole story is awful, especially that stuff about the board taking pride in not having arguments, aka discussions, about anything.

Found this little nugget since we are on the topic about NCAA punishments.

Caltech is on NCAA probation. No, really

The violations were largely due to the unique “class shopping” period that Caltech extends to its students as each term they determine and undertake their rigorous class load. Some students participated in athletics during the short time while not technically enrolled in the NCAA-required full time course load, while others who had participated while not meeting the academic good standing requirement. The cumulative effect of the individual violations was a finding of a lack of institutional control by Caltech over its intercollegiate athletic program, which is considered a major violation by the NCAA.

So basically some kids were allowed to play a sport just before their full course load kicked in, and that ruled as a lack of institutional control. If the NCAA does nothing to Penn State, that would be egregious

So basically some kids were allowed to play a sport just before their full course load kicked in, and that ruled as a lack of institutional control. If the NCAA does nothing to Penn State, that would be egregious

And how much money does Caltech's football program generate? At best Penn State will get probation, not be on tv for 2 or 3 years, lose a few scholarships, and be banned from bowl games. As much as Penn State deserves it, they are never going to get the death penalty.

And how much money does Caltech's football program generate? At best Penn State will get probation, not be on tv for 2 or 3 years, lose a few scholarships, and be banned from bowl games. As much as Penn State deserves it, they are never going to get the death penalty.

Well Cal Tech doesn't have a football program so I guess $0. Also, DIII universities aren't even allowed to award athletic scholarships! So obviously scholarship reduction wouldn't have an effect there.

Blondie

Neo Member
Learn how inept, self serving, and corrupt some members of the PSU BOT are:

Sources: PSU trustees left furious

"But behind closed doors, in private committee meetings and during several meals, the trustees expressed fury at the way they were portrayed in the report: as passive, ill-prepared or uninformed bystanders while then-university president Graham Spanier and then-general counsel Cynthia Baldwin downplayed the potential threat of the Sandusky investigation to Penn State.

The Freeh report criticizes trustees for failing to grasp the significance of the state attorney general's criminal inquiry of Sandusky and the grand jury appearances of Paterno, athletics director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz. Freeh's investigators blamed the trustees' culture of secrecy and deference for university leaders to allow the crisis to do more to harm Penn State's reputation than any other event in its 156-year history.

Several alumni groups have called for some or all of the 32 trustees to resign, but they have all steadfastly refused. Instead, the board and university leaders pledged last week to adapt many, if not all, of the 119 recommendations for reform made by the Freeh report. "

"Two trustees said the board was most angry at Steve Garban, the then-board chairman who was informed by Spanier in April 2011 of the Sandusky investigation but failed to notify his fellow trustees, according to the Freeh report.

In late October 2011, Garban was also told by Spanier that Schultz and Curley would soon be indicted, the Freeh report states. Garban alerted two trustees -- John Surma and Jim Broadhurst -- to the imminent charges but failed to tell anyone else on the Board of Trustees, the Freeh report states. Spanier had told Freeh's investigators that he assumed Garban would inform the full board.

"A lot of this mess could have been avoided if Garban had just told everyone else," a trustee told "Outside the Lines." "Most of us didn't know what was going on. If we had a week's heads-up, we could have gone to (Paterno) and tried to sort this out. We were blindsided."

Another trustee said: "It was his job to keep everyone in the loop. It's outrageous. He should do the honorable thing and resign."

In fact, the two trustees said Garban was confronted on Friday before the public session of the board meeting and was urged to resign for "the good of the board." Garban declined, the trustees said.

"He's going to try to ride it out," one trustee said. "He thinks he'll survive this.""

"He's going to try to ride it out," one trustee said. "He thinks he'll survive this."

This is pretty much a summary of the Penn State thinking in general, about everything related to this.

Don't worry guys, this Sandusky thing will all blow over and we can return to swimming in that pool of money the football program has been providing us.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"A lot of this mess could have been avoided if Garban had just told everyone else," a trustee told "Outside the Lines." "Most of us didn't know what was going on. If we had a week's heads-up, we could have gone to (Paterno) and tried to sort this out. We were blindsided."

And how would that have been productive? What would they have "sort[ed] out"?

Salazar

Paterno would have stonewalled that shit and put them in a position where they would have to contemplate booting him.

Which was, as we've seen, utterly beyond contemplation for a lot of these folks.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/15/us/triponey-paterno-penn-state/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

A story about the resistance in Penn State and how the cult in Pennsyltucky is so insular. Glad to see Vicky Triponey vindicated.

Woah, someone at CNN wrote that? Impressive.

CNN said:
Paterno ridiculed her on a radio show as "that lady in Old Main" who couldn't possibly know how to handle students because "she didn't have kids."

What a colossal fucking asshole. Jesus Christ.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Uhh..
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-lions-paternos-conduct-own-review-freeh-data

Joe Paterno's family has instructed its lawyer to form a "group of experts" to conduct a comprehensive review of the facts and conclusions presented in the Freeh report.

"We are dismayed by, and vehemently disagree with, some of the conclusions and assertions and the process by which they were developed by the Freeh Group," Wick Sollers, the lawyer for the Paterno family, said in a statement Monday. "Mr. Freeh presented his opinions and interpretations as if they were absolute facts. We believe numerous issues in the report, and his commentary, bear further review."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can sorta understand why the Paterno's refuse to accept JoePa was the evil guy he's now being portrayed as. I mean, yeah, clearly he did a truckload of good for many, many people and his legacy before this was well earned, but it's also pretty apparent he was a self-centred jerk and someone whose ideology never evolved past the social zeitgeist he grew up in.

I can understand the immense shame and devastation the family must be experiencing... but surely the best course of action would be to remove yourself from the spotlight entirely and hope that in a few years time, when the anger and pain from the outside world has subsided, perhaps JoePa's legacy can be that of a very influential, beloved Penn State philanthropist who was simultaneously a very flawed man.

It'd be something, at least.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Three more men have come forward to tell police that they too were abused by Jerry Sandusky from as far back as the 1970s, the Patriot-News reports, quoting unidentified sources close to the case.

The 68-year-old former Penn State assistant football coach was convicted in June of 45 counts of child sexual abuse involving 10 victims. He is in jail awaiting sentencing.

The newspaper's Sara Ganim, who won a Pulitzer at the Harrisburg newspaper for her coverage of the scandal, says two sources with knowledge of the Sandusky investigation say that police are aware of the latest allegations.

The newspaper says the three are alleging sexual abuse by Sandusky in the 1970s or 1980s, from when he was in his late 20s.

Ganim writes that if the latest allegations are proved to be true, it would undercut the Sandusky defense argument that a person doesn't become a pedophile in his or her 50s.

A grand jury is still meeting in the Sandusky case and could bring more charges if warranted.

Former FBI director Louis Freeh, who issued an independent report at the behest of Penn State on the Sandusky case was asked last week if his probe looked for alleged victims before 1998. He said yes, but did not indicate whether they found any, the newspaper reports.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...men-allege-sandusky-sexual-abuse-from-1970s/1

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ident-rodney-erickson-says-decision-take-time
Penn State president Rodney Erickson is vowing cooperation with further investigations in the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal but also says decisions about the future "will take time."

Erickson says in a message to students, faculty and staff Monday that the eight months since Sandusky was charged have been "heart-wrenching and difficult." He says, "We can never again allow this to happen."

But Erickson says many of the decisions to be made "involve individuals and practices deeply woven into the fabric of our community." He says such decisions "are not without consequences and must not be done without careful thought."

The university has received pressure to remove a statue of Joe Paterno following a report that found the late coach helped cover up allegations against Sandusky. Some have suggested sanctions against the football program.

Here, I'll translate:

"Let's shove this under the rug until after the football season starts so we have a built-in excuse as to why we can't even think of leveling sanctions or even shutting down the program for at least a year."

Cyan

Banned
Here, I'll translate:

"Let's shove this under the rug until after the football season starts so we have a built-in excuse as to why we can't even think of leveling sanctions or even shutting down the program for at least a year."

Exactly. It's pretty transparent.

CorvoSol

I was thinking about that, too. Like 1) Why would they go to Paterno if he had no authority? 2) Why were they trying to solve internally what was already a huge problem beyond their jurisdiction and 3) why are none of them mad that they didn't have the chance to immediately tell the police about all the horrible goings on?

Check out the Support Joe Paterno Facebook page if you feel like repeatedly hitting yourself in the skull with a hammer.

Chris Carpenter said:
I'd like to ask the haters something:

Have you ever drove over the speed limit while driving? Ever drove fast and weaved in and out of traffic? When you do this, you are constantly putting peoples lives in danger. Why don't you turn yourself in to the police if you all are so morally righteous? If you do this, and you say you don't, you're nothing but a hypocrite.

Apparently all mistakes are the same.

That time I forgot to set my alarm and was late to school? Just as bad as covering up decades of child rape.

Shit man, how can I live with myself?
Fuck and I just finished my timetokill statue.

I really want to troll that page but I made a promise to never tangle with morons on Facebook. I must remain strong.

TKxw7.jpg
This is either high level trolling or ...

Ragnarok

God this whole story is just depressing as fuck. The highest level authorities at the institution were covering up a multi-victim CHILD RAPE SCANDAL. Ugh and for what? Football? Legacies? Jesus, i'm sad. And people are defending the perps who knowingly swept it under the rug. Come on, humanity!

Zizbuka

Banned
Growing up in Lancaster County, PA, I grew up rooting for Penn State football. I still hold their win against Miami and one of my top 5 sports moments. Right there with Villanova beating Georgetown, 1980 USA hockey, Flyers first cup.......

Now, thinking back to those times, I remember how Penn State was the anti-Miami. The anti-FSU. They didn't win quite as much, didn't have the athletes the Florida schools had, but they had integrity. Joe was more than a coach, his kids graduated, became great people. That was more important than football.

Now it's been uncovered as a farce. Penn State was no better than those Florida schools, and it turns out was much worse.

So, Joe, you were a great football coach, but it stops there. You were a horrible person to anyone who didn't follow your lead. You enabled an evil man to continue being evil. Unfortunately, you're no longer here to take your punishment. Too bad.

OMT

Growing up in Lancaster County, PA, I grew up rooting for Penn State football. I still hold their win against Miami and one of my top 5 sports moments. Right there with Villanova beating Georgetown, 1980 USA hockey, Flyers first cup.......

Now, thinking back to those times, I remember how Penn State was the anti-Miami. The anti-FSU. They didn't win quite as much, didn't have the athletes the Florida schools had, but they had integrity. Joe was more than a coach, his kids graduated, became great people. That was more important than football.

Now it's been uncovered as a farce. Penn State was no better than those Florida schools, and it turns out was much worse.

So, Joe, you were a great football coach, but it stops there. You were a horrible person to anyone who didn't follow your lead. You enabled an evil man to continue being evil. Unfortunately, you're no longer here to take your punishment. Too bad.

First the Luzerne County scandal, now this... WTF, Pennsylvania, WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom