• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCAA Prez on a short interview about PSU.

Youtube

Basically, they are still looking at things.... this is not only a football scandal, but something way beyond it, they are not discounting any potential violations and penalties and they are not concerned with any "side effects" a death penalty could bring like it has done to SMU.

SMU as you know, is still recovering from it in some ways.

Dude Abides

Banned
This is absolutely insane.

What denial. Maybe the investigation just needs to be done by people with ties to Penn State University--that will make it all better.

LOL

Guess those emails weren't "facts."

You see, when Curley told Spanier he didn't want to report Sandusjy after Curley spoke to Paterno, he didn't mean to imply that Paterno had dissuaded him. That was just an irrelevant detail. It was unreasonable for Freeh to conclude that Paterno had something to do with Curley's change of heart. The Paterno family's experts will be free of the biases that arise when you draw obvious conclusions from known facts.

JABEE

Skip and Stephen debate whether Penn State should receive the death penalty

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-lions-paternos-conduct-own-review-freeh-data

Stephen thinks they should while Skip is against it.

Penn State benefited as a program if Sandusky's crimes never came to light. Penn State benefited by being a football program for the past 10 years that we know of, that has made bowl appearances and have made tons of money with a known rapist in Jerry Sandusky, holding an office in the athletics building. Jerry Sandusky not being known saved Penn State from facing the publicity and University damaging information that has surfaced over the past year. Penn State gained a competitive advantage from not having to endure the loss of donations and NCAA sanctions they would have faced over 10 years ago when this happened. This punishment is long overdue.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NCAA Prez on a short interview about PSU.

Youtube

Basically, they are still looking at things.... this is not only a football scandal, but something way beyond it, they are not discounting any potential violations and penalties and they are not concerned with any "side effects" a death penalty could bring like it has done to SMU.

SMU as you know, is still recovering from it in some ways.

I'll believe this when I see it, as I kind of believe they're making strong statements now to placate the public outrage only to do something relatively painless later. As I said earlier, I still fully believe they wait until after the football season starts so they "can't" do anything to the program.

Still, nice to see they're still considering all options and I was kind of surprised to hear his language and description of the death penalty and how this was even more egregious.

turnbuckle

He was always a huge fucking prick with the Cardinals.

Wait, is that the pitcher Chris Carpenter? I searched google and couldn't find him saying that so I wasn't sure. Regardless of who it is, what a fucking idiot. I'm a huge sports fan, but sports figure apologists (many of them being athletes) are simply nuts.

greepoman

Penn State gained a competitive advantage from not having to endure the loss of donations and NCAA sanctions they would have faced over 10 years ago when this happened. This punishment is long overdue.

This exactly. Basically the people arguing that Penn State has already suffered enough are admitting that it's a competitive disadvantage to have this stuff come out...thus proving it was a competitive advantage to not report it all those years.

It's amazing how people are still so callous about child rape...if the crime was murder and 8 children were murdered after JoePa knew of 1 or 2 would people still say he just "made a mistake"?

I'll believe this when I see it, as I kind of believe they're making strong statements now to placate the public outrage only to do something relatively painless later. As I said earlier, I still fully believe they wait until after the football season starts so they "can't" do anything to the program.

Still, nice to see they're still considering all options and I was kind of surprised to hear his language and description of the death penalty and how this was even more egregious.

Agreed for the most part - we'll see what happens. But the NCAA isn't necessarily in a rush. Just because the season is going to start doesn't mean investigations can't or won't continue. It is actually quite rare for sanctions to immediately affect the next upcoming season when something came to light just months ago.

Heck, Miami is still awaiting word on their sanctions and they were originally committed a couple of years ago.

Shiv47

Wait, is that the pitcher Chris Carpenter? I searched google and couldn't find him saying that so I wasn't sure. Regardless of who it is, what a fucking idiot. I'm a huge sports fan, but sports figure apologists (many of them being athletes) are simply nuts.

C'mon, son. No, it's not the same guy.

Kosmo

Banned

They will hide behind some BS like "the football schedules are set, it would financially affect the teams Penn State goes on the road to play blah blah blah."

At BEST they will do something next year. What I really want to see is someone taking an aluminum bat to that JoePa statue. I cannot believe the disillusionment his family must be going through - an icon of icons in Pennsylvania for decades and his legacy is that he cared more about the reputation of his program and protecting a pedophile than innocent kids.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They will hide behind some BS like "the football schedules are set, it would financially affect the teams Penn State goes on the road to play blah blah blah."

At BEST they will do something next year. What I really want to see is someone taking an aluminum bat to that JoePa statue. I cannot believe the disillusionment his family must be going through - an icon of icons in Pennsylvania for decades and his legacy is that he cared more about the reputation of his program and protecting a pedophile than innocent kids.

Yup.

kaskade

I've been out of the loop on this for a bit. Last thing I read was that Paterno lied and there was emails documenting. I believe it was that he knew much more than he lead everyone to believe. Are there some articles or something I can read up on? I have a few people on my facebook list and sometimes I see them posting about how he's a legend and can do no wrong. Infuriates me. I feel like the only people who still support the guy actually go there.

I've been out of the loop on this for a bit. Last thing I read was that Paterno lied and there was emails documenting. I believe it was that he knew much more than he lead everyone to believe. Are there some articles or something I can read up on

The best thing to do would be for you to read the Freeh report.

http://www.thefreehreportonpsu.com/REPORT_FINAL_071212.pdf

Feel free to post it on your friends' Facebook profiles too.

Schmitty

I've been out of the loop on this for a bit. Last thing I read was that Paterno lied and there was emails documenting. I believe it was that he knew much more than he lead everyone to believe. Are there some articles or something I can read up on? I have a few people on my facebook list and sometimes I see them posting about how he's a legend and can do no wrong. Infuriates me. I feel like the only people who still support the guy actually go there.

Plenty of people who go there are abhorred by everything as well and aren't standing behind the Paternos.

kaskade

The best thing to do would be for you to read the Freeh report.

http://www.thefreehreportonpsu.com/REPORT_FINAL_071212.pdf

Feel free to post it on your friends' Facebook profiles too.

Thanks. I'm going to put it on my ipad and give it a read. I looked into that and it seems the Paterno family is having their own investigator. Are you kidding me? That's almost laughable.

I'm sure the Penn Staters have some sort of excuse as to why his report is biased. I remember when this was first going on I saw a bunch of them saying how, we (as the general public and non penn state students) don't know the whole story. You know they were right, it's much worse than they originally thought.

Koomaster

If they did decide to take the statue down, what would happen to it? Would they store it some place, or auction it off to the public, maybe melt it down? What happens to unwanted statues?

drspeedy

Anyone listen to Colin Cowherd? He had a pretty good opinion piece yesterday on his radio show, basically saying "leave the statue up so people HAVE to talk about this". I kinda sorta agree... every time ESPN pans past it (and they will) during games at Beaver Stadium the announcers will almost certainly have to mention the way power and influence corrupted a once great program, and discussing the scandal at all will bring awareness to child abuse.

And- this is my opinion only here- I think the university is keeping the statue up just so vandals will do their dirty work for them. They get to take the 'oh, well, it's been defaced. now we'll have to take it down' route rather than the "we'll stand up & be responsible for our actions' route.

Wait and see.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Speaking of Cowherd, I actually agreed with him on something today. Some moron caller was saying that Penn State's football program was "too important to college football" to punish severely (as several in the thread have said already).

Cowherd pointed out that Penn State's program hasn't really been relevant for years and that USC, the nation's top program at the time, was punished for the Reggie Bush stuff and was made ineligible for postseason play. In the past, the NCAA hasn't been afraid to punish the programs regardless of how "important" they are.

I think at minimum we're looking at multiple years of no postseason for Penn State and probably worse based on the interview given last night.

Cyan

Banned
Speaking of Cowherd, I actually agreed with him on something today. Some moron caller was saying that Penn State's football program was "too important to college football" to punish severely (as several in the thread have said already).

lols

They'd like to think so, wouldn't they?

By the by, when someone tells you the Death Penalty killed SMU, correct them.

SMU was shit for 40 years before the 1980s. They paid their players, and they became good. They got the death penalty, and they went back to historical norms.

SMU wasn't killed by the death penalty, they were corrected by it. The 10 years they were good was the aberration, not the shit show they have been since 1990.

I think that if Penn State did get the Death Penalty, they would be fine in 5 years.

cashman

Banned

SMU was shit for 40 years before the 1980s. They paid their players, and they became good. They got the death penalty, and they went back to historical norms.

SMU wasn't killed by the death penalty, they were corrected by it. The 10 years they were good was the aberration, not the shit shot they were since 1990.

I think that if Penn State did get the Death Penalty, they would be fine in 5 years.

basically this. They deserve the Death Penalty

Schmitty

SMU wasn't killed by the death penalty, they were corrected by it. The 10 years they were good was the aberration, not the shit shot they were since 1990.

Probably true.

drspeedy

As much as it pains everyone to accept it, from a pure success standpoint they'll never be relevant again, and that's largely because they haven't been relevant on the field for years. They haven't beaten a top 5 team since 1999, they haven't beaten a top 10 team since 2001, and despite having a high graduation rate and a maintaining a respectable defense... they haven't done much of anything to be considered important. They'll likely be knocked down to a mid-tier Big 10 level school, a correction very analogous to SMU (I agree with you wholeheartedly about that, BTW).

Their real success has been maintaining the energy of the fan base. PSU started the whole "white out" craze, they single handedly brought the 7 Nation Army chanting to college football, and Paternoville is (was?) more important as any tailgating the NFL could muster. Penn State football was far healthier off the field.

Which reminds me, Paternoville has been officially renamed Nittanyville as of this morning:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/coll...ate-changes-paternoville-to-nittanyville.html

As much as it pains everyone to accept it, from a pure success standpoint they'll never be relevant again, and that's largely because they haven't been relevant on the field for years. They haven't beaten a top 5 team since 1999, they haven't beaten a top 10 team since 2001, and despite having a high graduation rate and a maintaining a respectable defense... they haven't done much of anything to be considered important.

Their real success has been maintaining the energy of the fan base (myself included to some degree). PSU started the whole "white out" craze, they single handedly brought the 7 Nation Army chanting to college football, and Paternoville is (was?) more important as any tailgating the NFL could muster. Penn State football was far healthier off the field.

Which reminds me, Paternoville has been officially renamed Nittanyville as of this morning:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/coll...ate-changes-paternoville-to-nittanyville.html

A) That's because they kept a good but not great coach for historical reasons.
B) If you can't beat the NFL in gameday experience in college football, you're doing it wrong and shouldn't be called a major college football program.
C) Good, but lot of the fans are still being thick dullards about it.

Blackface

Banned
Death Penalty time.

Don't want to hear any of the terrible arguments that it's only for teams gaining a competitive advantage through illegal means.

If a school doesn't get the Death Penalty after aiding a pedophile rape young children through their football program. Then the NCAA is a joke, and so is the system.

If cutting checks to young athletes hurts your school more then sodomizing 10 year old boys. Something is wrong.

Jeff-DSA

Penn State benefited as a program if Sandusky's crimes never came to light. Penn State benefited by being a football program for the past 10 years that we know of, that has made bowl appearances and have made tons of money with a known rapist in Jerry Sandusky, holding an office in the athletics building. Jerry Sandusky not being known saved Penn State from facing the publicity and University damaging information that has surfaced over the past year. Penn State gained a competitive advantage from not having to endure the loss of donations and NCAA sanctions they would have faced over 10 years ago when this happened. This punishment is long overdue.

Not only that, it's coming out that Paterno and Spanier protected players that should have received bans or suspensions. They had a whole culture of putting football first, and it definitely helped their cause on the field.

Not only that, it's coming out that Paterno and Spanier protected players that should have received bans or suspensions. They had a whole culture of putting football first, and it definitely helped their cause on the field.

I'm not sure why many in the media and on the sports forums are acting like this is some sort of revelation that just recently came out.

ESPN ran an OTL 3-4 years ago that painted Paterno in a really bad light. Like 7-8 players on the football team had basically jumped a few guys at an off campus party and Paterno was basically encouraging obstruction by basically saying it was a football team matter and they would handle it internally. IIRC correctly he also said the players wouldn't "rat" each other out and shouldn't have to cooperate with authorities.

As much as it pains everyone to accept it, from a pure success standpoint they'll never be relevant again, and that's largely because they haven't been relevant on the field for years. They haven't beaten a top 5 team since 1999, they haven't beaten a top 10 team since 2001, and despite having a high graduation rate and a maintaining a respectable defense... they haven't done much of anything to be considered important. They'll likely be knocked down to a mid-tier Big 10 level school, a correction very analogous to SMU (I agree with you wholeheartedly about that, BTW).

This is pretty much true, they've been running an offense that would be considered outdated if it was 15 years ago. They've been propped up and propping up Paterno's win record against small schools or mediocre programs. Part of that comes from the NCAA rewarding average football with all these shitty bowl games that generate big profits for these schools.

And the Paterno family response was crazier than I thought it would be. Your own investigation? Get bent you fuckin idiots. They should shut up, but they won't. They won't because they're mad and friggen scared beyond belief. Also because they're too god damn stubborn, just like Joe. In a way, I guess let them talk, because the more they do, the more ridiculous and desperate they sound.

The NCAA boss's comments were a bit more serious sounding than I thought they would be. Let's hope they have the integrity and the balls to follow through on it.

border

I was kind of wondering that if the statue gets permanently defaced or vandalized, would PSU have the balls to actually replace/repair it? It's one thing to leave it standing, it's another to actively maintain it.

I can't believe that somebody hasn't done something to it already. If I lived within 100 miles of the university I'd be considering it. I wonder how much security they've got trained on that one spot on campus.

Talon

To be fair, I think all of us that went to college heard about some...strife with the Dean of Students/Student Discipline.

Futureman

plane-banner-psu_420.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom