• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Do you think that innocent people ignorant to the problem should be punished?

Are you completely blind that this happens all the time in society or do you just want Penn State to be exempt from this? The culture at Penn State is disgusting and unfortunately needed a rude ass wake up call. Frankly all your posts just prove why the punishment is justified.

Xeke

Banned
Are you completely blind that this happens all the time in society or do you just want Penn State to be exempt from this? The culture at Penn State is disgusting and unfortunately needed a rude ass wake up call. Frankly all your posts just prove why the punishment is justified.

I don't appreciate the perception that even most at PSU are in this "culture". Most are just your normal college kids.

Pollux

I don't appreciate the perception that even most at PSU are in this "culture". Most are just your normal college kids.

Sucks for them. I'm of the opinion the entire damn school should lose its accreditation and the football program should be shut down permanently. Fuck PSU.

beast786

The vocal minority often is louder than the silent majority.

That is CLEARLY not what Freeh report said. http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-14/news/32664485_1_freeh-report-joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky

From the janitors to top administrators, the scathing report released Thursday says, people at Pennsylvania State University kept silent about the crimes of Jerry Sandusky, sacrificing children out of fear for their jobs or damage to the university's "brand."...

"There is an overemphasis on 'the Penn State Way' as an approach to decision-making, a resistance to outside perspectives, and an excess focus on athletics," the report found.

At the top of the pyramid was Paterno, the unchallenged leader who embodied what the report called "a culture of reverence for the football program that is ingrained at all levels of the campus community."

Hari Seldon

Sucks for them. I'm of the opinion the entire damn school should lose its accreditation and the football program should be shut down permanently. Fuck PSU.

I'm all for shutting down the football program and in fact all athletics, but accreditation has nothing to do with the NCAA, football, or anything related to the "culture". That is just idiotic.

Pollux

Unless they can't afford the tuition increase.

Not that you're going to respond to me, but that has been addressed countless times in this thread. Go reread it.

I'm all for shutting down the football program and in fact all athletics, but accreditation has nothing to do with the NCAA, football, or anything related to the "culture". That is just idiotic.
Violating the Clery Act.

Xeke

Banned

Forever

Banned
Freedom of Speech. Should the entire USA be punished for the vocal minority in politics?

Okay, and the NCAA is legally in the clear as well. I thought this was about making reality "better" and not just about adherence to the letter of the law.

Of the 44,000 at main campus you think a majority would cover this up?

Based on everything we've seen, it would not shock me.

And those kids will still get to see football...really really really bad football. It will be like attending Duke. No one laments the fate of Duke football fans.

Hari Seldon

Violating the Clery Act.

Do you even know what accreditation is? That is like saying the English department isn't teaching correctly. That has nothing to do with the conduct of the campus administrators. That is the domain of the professor in charge of the department.

Chumly

Answer my question. Should corporations ever be fined for actions of the top? Should organizations be sued by mistakes by the few? Should any organization EVER be punished since it could affect innocent people?

Cyan

Banned
Because the football program provides funds that cover sports that can't support themselves.

Surprise! The football program still exists.

And given the athletic department as a whole runs a $30+ MM profit, I'm really not too worried.

Pollux

Do you even know what accreditation is? That is like saying the English department isn't teaching correctly. That has nothing to do with the conduct of the campus administrators. That is the domain of the professor in charge of the department.

Actually, the Middle States Commission for Higher Education could revoke PSU's accreditation based on a violation of the standard of integrity. And, yes, I know what accreditation is, and it has nothing to do with the professor's in charge of a department in this situation it goes much higher than that.

Cyan

Banned
To pay the 60,000,000 fine that can't come from the athletic program or taxes. Tuition is the only other option.

Oh look, a point I already answered multiple times!

Have you heard of endowments? Penn State's is more than $1 billion.

Hey, you know who is responsible for innocent people getting hurt?

Paterno, Sandusky, Spanier, and everyone else at the top of that institution that valued a fucking game over child rape. They should have thought about the children, the players, the university's reputation, and the impact on local communities when they chose to sequester a child rapist.

All the damage that's being done right now? That's on them.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Freedom of Speech. Should the entire USA be punished for the vocal minority in politics?

Unless they can't afford the tuition increase.
Keep moving those posts.

Hey, you know who is responsible for innocent people getting hurt?

Paterno, Sandusky, Spanier, and everyone else at the top of that institution that valued a fucking game over child rape. They should have thought about the children, the players, the university's reputation, and the impact on local communities when they chose to sequester a child rapist.

All the damage that's being done right now? That's on them.
Yeah don't blame the NCAA. I agree. This could have been avoided.

Hari Seldon

Actually, the Middle States Commission for Higher Education could revoke PSU's accreditation based on a violation of the standard of integrity. And, yes, I know what accreditation is, and it has nothing to do with the professor's in charge of a department in this situation it goes much higher than that.

I guess we are talking about two different accreditation then. I'm more referring to when the IEEE committee (ABET) comes in and verifies that the engineering department is actually teaching engineering. You cannot revoke that, it has nothing to do with any of this in any way. But regardless, punishing 40,000 students in a harsh financial way (lessening their academic credentials) WOULD be an extreme overreaction. If you want to punish the culture punish the culture. Removing accreditation would be punishing the culture that the university should have - high academic standards and not high football standards.

Pollux

I guess we are talking about two different accreditation then. I'm more referring to when the IEEE committee (ABET) comes in and verifies that the engineering department is actually teaching engineering. You cannot revoke that, it has nothing to do with any of this in any way. But regardless, punishing 40,000 students in a harsh financial way (lessening their academic credentials) WOULD be an extreme overreaction. If you want to punish the culture punish the culture. Removing accreditation would be punishing the culture that the university should have - high academic standards and not high football standards.

Yea I realized that after we started going back and forth. I'm tired and grouchy right now thus my anger at PSU coming through. But apparently a loss of accreditation is a possibility (it would NEVER happen) b/c PSU violated the Clery Act.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. Moving on... :jnc

Xeke

Banned
Alright guys I am going to have to bail out because this constant replying for the past hour has worn me out. My position in the end is to punish those involved in the coverup and not the community, many of you disagree with me but please understand that I respect your positions, this is just the way I feel.

Thanks for not attacking me as a person which is what makes GAF a great place. If you want to continue the discussion with me please PM me but I can't keep up with this. We disagree but I do respect your opinions even if I disagree with them. Please PM me questions about my opinion if you want more but I can't keep up this breakneck replying.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Oh look, a point I already answered multiple times!

Have you heard of endowments? Penn State's is more than $1 billion.
Not only that, but Penn State's alumni and boosters have been more than willing to pony up money for the program. I don't have a link on hand, but I'm pretty sure that contributions have surged since the Sandusky scandal broke.

Cyan

Banned
Not only that, but Penn State's alumni and boosters have been more than willing to pony up money for the program. I don't have a link on hand, but I'm pretty sure that contributions have surged since the Sandusky scandal broke.

They did, though it's quite possible that changed in the wake of the Freeh report.

Because the football program provides funds that cover sports that can't support themselves.

To pay the 60,000,000 fine that can't come from the athletic program or taxes. Tuition is the only other option.

I'm completely burnt out from trying to respond to all these posts.

You wouldn't be burnt out if you'd simply come to terms with the fact that the institution of Penn State was to blame. The institution was punished. If you're part of that institution you're going to feel it. Don't like it? Leave. No student is forced to stay. All players are now free to leave without penalty. Choose to stay and you'll be affected by the sanctions placed against the institution. To say that only the individuals should be punished when it was the institution of football and the pride of PSU that caused the coverup is incredibly naive.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It should have been the death penalty for 4 years...
I felt the same way but looking at the scope of the sanctions, whats the difference? Their football team will not be competitive for at least 5 years, probably 10. And this way at least the players who want to play for PSU get to and the local businesses who thrive off Saturdays wont go under.

mr2xxx

Banned
Do individual records like say most rushing yards in a year stand if the player was from Penn St. during the punished period?

Hari Seldon

I felt the same way but looking at the scope of the sanctions, whats the difference? Their football team will not be competitive for at least 5 years, probably 10. And this way at least the players who want to play for PSU get to and the local businesses who thrive off Saturdays wont go under.

Yeah as a PSU alum I thought the punishment was fair to the people not involved. Although I would like to see a heavily academic type president appointed who will just say "fuck athletics, you are here to learn" and shut all those stupid distractions down. If you want to watch football, half the campus can root for the Steelers and the other half can root for the Eagles. No one at Penn State watches the other sports anyway.

YoungHav

Banned
What's your proof for Joe being a moral person? Being a good coach doesn't imply that.
I did not say JoePa was a moral person, I said he is more of a moral person than George Washington and Andrew Jackson who have statues everywhere and no one bats an eyelash or cries for them to be taken down. JoePa did not own 200 slaves, who's daily existence where a human rights abuse and sexual abuse was rampant during slavery, nor is he responsible for the death of tens of thousands of Native Americans. Both episodes which I think are morally worse than what JoePa did, and I dislike JP as much as you do.

Pollux

I did not say JoePa was a moral person, I said he is more of a moral person than George Washington and Andrew Jackson who have statues everywhere and no one bats an eyelash or cries for them to be taken down. JoePa did not own 200 slaves, who's daily existence where a human rights abuse and sexual abuse was rampant during slavery, nor is he responsible for the death of tens of thousands of Native Americans. Both episodes which I think are morally worse than what JoePa did, and I dislike JP as much as you do.

Stop applying the morality of today to men who lived in the 18th century.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bruh... Moral comparisons never work. Put your goalposts in a time machine and transport them back to the 1700s. That shit cray.

eastmen

Banned
Personaly , I believe Penn state should closed down. Let the current crop of students work their way through or transfer out and close it up for incoming classes. Penn state should be wiped off the face of the planet.

Then All college sports should be removed from colleges. They serve no academic purpose and are not needed.

Others have responded already, so I won't pile on.

Personaly , I believe Penn state should closed down. Let the current crop of students work their way through or transfer out and close it up for incoming classes. Penn state should be wiped off the face of the planet.

Then All college sports should be removed from colleges. They serve no academic purpose and are not needed.

1.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom