• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
samus i am said:
Everyone directly tied to the coverup is to blame. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that Joe was part of it. The evidence against Sandusky is conclusive, the evidence against Curley and Schultz is conclusive, the "evidence" against Joe Paterno isn't.

The evidence against Curley and Schultz is only conclusive if you believe McQueary's testimony and if you believe his testimony then that is conclusive evidence against Paterno.

Seems like you got yourself caught in the corner with this post.

GoldenEye 007 said:
US Department of Education investigating Penn St now per AP tweet. Breaking now.

Thankfully, this is good news. Something big has to happen to a University that willingly covers up this bullshit. And to realize the reasons are mainly fueled by greed and revenue streams.

Salaadin said:
Honestly, and I see all of your points, but I think some of you need to read up on JoePas contributions outside of football. The constant insinuation that anyone who even slightly defends Paterno is doing so because he simply won a lot of football games is downright false.

That said, I still think he needs to just go. Even if what he says in the gj report is true and his involvement was nothing more (or less) than that, his presence is nothing but a distraction now so he needs to go so everyone can move on and tackle those more heavily involved and find out who else can be held responsible for this because I get the feeling that there are more we dont know about yet.

Like what, the donation of the library? I don't deny he did a lot for the University, problem is, his decisions have tarnished his image, his contributions, and the University from here on out. I don't think I have to mention the others involved, including the evil, perverted perpetrator who was sexually assaulting children whilst getting a nice hefty paycheck from the University.

Paterno's record, or his contributions, don't exonerate him from basic human decency. In fact, to me, all I'm seeing anymore is a man, in an organization, so bent on maintaining their delusional image that they'd do anything, and contribute as they saw fit, to doing so.

bigtroyjon said:
The evidence against Curley and Schultz is only conclusive if you believe McQueary's testimony and if you believe his testimony then that is conclusive evidence against Paterno.

Lol, nope.

http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/09/2980355/sandusky-distraught-over-paterno.html

"The attorney representing former Penn State coach and The Second Mile founder, Jerry Sandusky, said his client learned of Coach Joe Paterno’s announcement that he will retire, and is “distraught” over the latest developments at Penn State.

While Sandusky maintains he is innocent, “he is saddened by what is happening to the reputation of Penn State,” Amendola said. “He feels absolutely awful. They’re taking down an entire athletic department."

NomarTyme said:
LMAO at fucking paterno thinking he can end this shit on his own accord.

I know, what a despicable, disrespectful move on his part. Step the fuck down. His statement from last night with the gathering of the Blind is apparent he's either at a point in his life where he can't comprehend the atrocities, or believes his divinity will see the end of this. Standards of consequence in this society are so fucked, if this was, say, a Division II university, heads would be rolling yesterday. Program terminated, etc etc...

outlawedprod said:
http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/09/2980355/sandusky-distraught-over-paterno.html

"The attorney representing former Penn State coach and The Second Mile founder, Jerry Sandusky, said his client learned of Coach Joe Paterno’s announcement that he will retire, and is “distraught” over the latest developments at Penn State.

While Sandusky maintains he is innocent, “he is saddened by what is happening to the reputation of Penn State,” Amendola said. “He feels absolutely awful. They’re taking down an entire athletic department."

Maintains his innocence huh? No surprise there, let's see how much more evidence piles up. In the end I'm really interested to see how the University handles this in the coming weeks.

What a joke of an institution.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
a man who donated money for a campus library shouldn't have to worry about letting a former colleague get away with fucking young boys. he's done so much for the community!

beast786 said:
I do wonder , if that was your child in the showers . How your opinion would have been different about Joe Pa?
I would be most upset at McQueary for running away to ask daddy what to do. And at Curley and Schultz for covering it up. Also let's not forget the ACTUAL PEDO!

samus i am said:
Everyone directly tied to the coverup is to blame. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that Joe was part of it. The evidence against Sandusky is conclusive, the evidence against Curley and Schultz is conclusive, the "evidence" against Joe Paterno isn't.

You already understand that peiople are upset he didn't do more. That he did the bare min only. People agree he isn't directly related and that his bare minimum effort isn't enough to call him a criminal. We still think he should be fired. Not following up on a thing from 2002-2011 is a fucking shame to say the least. Both McQueary (even worse) and Joe Paterno reacted poorly regardless of the lagality.

samus i am said:
I would be most upset at McQueary for running away to ask daddy what to do. And at Curley and Schultz for covering it up. Also let's not forget the ACTUAL PEDO!

You're just not upset at Joe Paterno for his lack of follow up. Over the course of 9 years. Got ya.

C Jones

samus i am said:
But no disgust for the all and powerful Mr. Penn State who was told about it, and who has the most power in the school. Right.

Dude Abides

Banned
beast786 said:
I do wonder , if that was your child in the showers . How your opinion would have been different about Joe Pa?

A better question is, what if you were one of the kids molested after the shower incident, and knew that it could have been prevented if Joe Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier weren't more concerned about the image of their precious football program than child rape.

NomarTyme

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I know, what a despicable, disrespectful move on his part. Step the fuck down. His statement from last night with the gathering of the Blind is apparent he's either at a point in his life where he can't comprehend the atrocities, or believes his divinity will see the end of this. Standards of consequence in this society are so fucked, if this was, say, a Division II university, heads would be rolling yesterday. Program terminated, etc etc...

Maintains his innocence huh? No surprise there, let's see how much more evidence piles up. In the end I'm really interested to see how the University handles this in the coming weeks.

What a joke of an institution.
Why do you assume this?

samus i am said:
wheeeeeeeeeeeee

bigtroyjon said:

giga

GoldenEye 007 said:
US Department of Education investigating Penn St now per AP tweet. Breaking now.
Government sticking their heads again in places where it doesn't belong. Penn St. has no relation whatsoever to education.

Cyan

Banned
giga said:
Government sticking their heads again in places where it doesn't belong. Penn St. has no relation whatsoever to education.
Yeah, why's the DOE sticking their nose into football matters?

Why are people still defending the dude who walked in? Look I weigh 100lbs soaking wet and if I saw some kid being violated, I'd try something. Hell that's what blunt objects are for. If I really felt physically threatened, I'd get a cop. It's a campus right? They're around.

Devolution said:
Why are people still defending the dude who walked in? Look I weigh 100lbs soaking wet and if I saw some kid being violated, I'd try something. Hell that's what blunt objects are for. If I really felt physically threatened, I'd get a cop. It's a campus right? They're around.
All he is supposed to do is tell his boss.
He isn't a cop, you expect him to investigate?
Being a GA is a tough job and he can't expect to follow up with every little thing.
One time he gave half a pack of gum to a homeless guy on the street, this shouldn't be the only thing you judge him on.

did i do it right samus

bigtroyjon said:
All he is supposed to do is tell his boss.
He isn't a cop, you expect him to investigate?
Being a GA is a tough job and he can't expect to follow up with every little thing.
One time he gave half a pack of gum to a homeless guy on the street, this shouldn't be the only thing you judge him on.

did i do it right samus

You did it right enough for me to start going like this:

RAY16-1281034174-FrySquintingCropped.jpg

Then I saw the spoiler.

braves01

Banned
beast786 said:

He would probably be too hurt and angry to thoughtfully assign blame to the proper parties in a gray situation like this. Everyone knows what is at stake here, "what if it was your child" only distracts from figuring out what Paterno knew and whether he acted appropriately given that information.

NomarTyme said:
Why do you assume this?

Just the vaguness of his "statement" and how he seemingly brushes over the fact with condescending statements like: "The kids who were victims, or whatever they want to say. I think we ought to say a prayer for them. It's a tough life when people do CERTAIN THINGS to you. But anyway, you've been great, you've been really great."

Maybe I'm being too harsh on this 84 year old man; from that quote, makes me think he doesn't quite understand, or doesn't want to, the severity of what is happening here.

Eljay

Neo Member
So the next question is going to be how much is PSU going to get sued for over this? If the investigators finds out this was a cover up they're going to be liable for millions that insurance will not cover.

Eljay said:
So the next question is going to be how much is PSU going to get sued for over this? If the investigators finds out this was a cover up they're going to be liable for millions that insurance will not cover.
Depends how many victims there end up being, especially the number since the 02 coverup.

Edit-The investigators already found out that it was a coverup, that's why the two guys were indicted by a grand jury.

Cday said:
Seems to me like all the shit's being flung at Paterno for no other reason than "it's a bigger story".

People are pissed at everybody that knew about this and went on to do the bare minimum to stop it. Joe Pa is among those people. At the very least he knew that Sandusky was spotted fondling a little boy in the Penn State showers.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Eljay said:
I heard on the radio that Penn State football made a profit last year of ~$50m. I think they'll be okay.

samus i am said:

Nobody has forgot any of those men. The difference is nobody is defending them in the way you and others are for Paterno. We have provided you accounts from grand jury testimony and you have given us Paterno's press release as evidence that Paterno knew nothing of what happened. I find that laughable and sad. Use your brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom