• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Hari Seldon said:
Holy shite: from Ben Jones twitter "Very reliable source: Spanier was the one who called the NYT to make false claims about Joe's status."
What did the NYT say about Paterno's status?

gutshot

Fenderputty said:
From 2002 until 2011. While Sandusky was on campus no less. With Children. He deserves to be fired.

Except we don't know for sure if Sandusky was on campus or not. All later predatory activity in the grand jury report happened outside of the Penn St campus.

LegatoB

lawblob said:
If you don't want to be murdered in prison.... don't torture tons of kids???
You know, maybe the fact that we have a prison system that encourages the murder of inmates is pretty horrible, even if the target of this violence is irredeemable scum. We like to pretend we're a society that follows the rule of law. Nobody should be killed in prison who hasn't gone through the proper death penalty proceedings.

Hari Seldon

Fenderputty said:
From 2002 until 2011. While Sandusky was on campus no less. With Children. He deserves to be fired.

He still might get fired. However being that Joe didn't actually break the law, unlike the other two, an internal investigation isn't a bad idea.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Those poor, innocent kids :( So freaken' sad. My gut is telling me the number that were molested/abused is probably closer to 50+. If just one person, JUST ONE, stood up early on, most of those kids would have been spared. Damn.

Hari Seldon said:
Out of everyone involved, Joe Paterno is easily the least guilty person. He didn't directly witness it, he reported it per the law, and he wasn't in charge of any of the people involved. The only thing questionable about Joe Paterno is that he didn't follow through and see why the higher ups stonewalled everything.

Come on now. He willingly participated in a collusive act for - I think - in excess of 10 years.

Google Bishop Flynn. He did *more* than Paterno and is being criminally charged.

Dude Abides

Banned
gutshot said:
Except we don't know for sure if Sandusky was on campus or not. All later predatory activity in the grand jury report happened outside of the Penn St campus.

According to a reporter at the AG's press conference, he was at a practice in 2007 with a kid.

gutshot

Dude Abides said:
According to a reporter at the AG's press conference, he was at a practice in 2007 with a kid.

Is that where the AG said she wasn't aware of that and that they would have to look into it? That's why I'm saying I'd like to wait until any further investigation is complete. Until then, we don't know for sure.

Hari Seldon

bonesmccoy said:
Come on now. He willingly participated in a collusive act for - I think - in excess of 10 years.

Google Bishop Flynn. He did *more* than Paterno and is being criminally charged.

Maybe he did, however he didn't actually break the law like the AD and VP, and he didn't witness the events and then go and call his dad and do nothing for an entire day. Out of the 4 people involved, he is the least guilty and the only one that did not break the law. And apparently he is a witness against the AD, VP, and Sandusky. So maybe this is a situation where people are covering things up without him being made aware, which is just as likely as some 80 year old being a mastermind of all of this.

Dude Abides

Banned
gutshot said:
Is that where the AG said she wasn't aware of that and that they would have to look into it? That's why I'm saying I'd like to wait until any further investigation is complete. Until then, we don't know for sure.

Ok, but I doubt there will be any further investigation. AG is obviously not interested in going after Paterno. The GJ report is notably vague whenever it gets to what McQueary told Paterno and what Paterno said he told Curley.

I also don't know what charges would stem from the 2007 practice.

gutshot said:

Well we know, that as of last week, Sandusky was still had free reign of the facilities on campus and was going there up until then. Penn State officials KNEW of the investigation, and still allowed him to use their facilities.

FIRE EVERYONE.

Actually the group that has not been mentioned much yet that really needs to be gone after as well are the directors of The Second Mile. In the grand jury reports it sounds like both the 1998 and 2002 incidents were reported back to The Second Mile. I've been involved with charity organizations that work with children for much of my life and even at very small ones the rules on contact are very strict. The catchphrase was "it takes three to pee" meaning that when working with toddlers or kids if they have to go to the bathroom there darn well better be two responsible adults there, volunteers should never be alone with kids in an unsupervised / isolated context. Yet for years this disgusting guy was toting kids all over the place, showing up at hotels with them, staying overnight at his house, wrestling in deserted locker rooms, in the bathrooms with them. It's a violation of so many principals of this type of work it just boggle my mind that he got away with it for so long.

Hari Seldon

Dude Abides said:
Holy shit. Mark Madden actually wrote something insightful and readable?

How did he know of a GJ investigation in April? They usually keep that shit secret until the indictment comes out.

Pretty funny comments from April, probably by samus i am, trashing Madden for reporting rumors and innuendo.

This was common knowledge:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/jerry_sandusky_former_penn_sta.html

Penn State knew this was coming for a long while. Did they simply ignore it because they wanted a scandal to force Joe Paterno out? It makes no sense why Spanier or no one else did jack shit for the last 8 months at least.

JGS

Banned
Dude Abides said:
Yes, you can. You can characterize anal rape as a fleeting bit of inappropriate grab-ass and it will also matter at sentencing time.

My suspicion is the AG doesn't want a full-on war with Paterno's fanbase and there was a decision made not to go too hard after him.
That's true about the characterization. I'm just saying that I'm not under the impression that Paterno took it as lightly as others are indicating. He seems to be taking what McCreary said seriously and the grand jury don't seem to contradict my opinion on that point.

The AG could have much say in what the grand jury felt.

Anyway, I probably am defending Paterno a bit too much since he probably does know more than than he states. Plus he voluntarily resigned.

At the same time, I think he acted appropriately within the confines of the law- moreso than Mccreary, Curly, or Schwartz. I would have never expected him to report Sandusky to the police since that wasn't his job nor was it an expectation of the state.

samus i am said:
Ummmm, no? It was common knowledge.

It was common knowledge that there was a nuclear bomb underneath Penn State, and that it was about to blow up? Why the fuck are we talking about this then? Pack it up everyone, this was known by everyone 6 months ago.

ConfusingJazz said:
It was common knowledge that there was a nuclear bomb underneath Penn State, and that it was about to blow up? Why the fuck are we talking about this then? Pack it up everyone, this was known by everyone 6 months ago.

I don't think anybody thought it would get as big as it is right now. Perhaps wishful thinking.

Maxim726X said:
What are you talking about...

What do you think I'm talking about? The rumors of misconduct by Sandusky. If he did it, and it really seems like he did, he deserves everything that's coming to him.

Dude Abides

Banned
Hari Seldon said:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/03/jerry_sandusky_former_penn_sta.html

Penn State knew this was coming for a long while. Did they simply ignore it because they wanted a scandal to force Joe Paterno out? It makes no sense why Spanier or no one else did jack shit for the last 8 months at least.

I see. I guess it's hard to keep a grand jury leak-free when it's something like this.

I agree that it is mystifying as to why they seem blindsided by this then. You have to know that inappropriate sexual contact with child is going to be a huge scandal.

I want to know what the possible repercussions to the school might be for this. I doubt PSU would be out of college ball, but really, what could happen here besides their educational system being tainted forever?

JumpingTheGun said:
I want to know what the possible repercussions to the school might be for this. I doubt PSU would be out of college ball, but really, what could happen here besides their educational system being tainted forever?

One pedofile in the athletic department taints the entire academic program? That makes no sense. Penn State likely has a few years of shit football ahead of them, but I wouldn't expect the university system to take that big a hit. Alumni donations will go down and belts will be tightened, but the school in general will rebound. Football... who knows. They did just get a DI hockey team though!

brucewaynegretzky said:
One pedofile in the athletic department taints the entire academic program? That makes no sense. Penn State likely has a few years of shit football ahead of them, but I wouldn't expect the university system to take that big a hit. Alumni donations will go down and belts will be tightened, but the school in general will rebound. Football... who knows. They did just get a DI hockey team though!

Its not the pedophile, its the cover up of the pedophile.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK I was on Joe Pa's side about him passing along the info to superiors and it was "out of his hands"

Watched ESPN and when they said about the 10 year old kid being molested in the showers when that other assistant coach walked in on them... WOW!

I'm sorry, but Joe Pa as great as he is with his legacy, now this tarnishes all of it
I don't care for his 2 National Championships, 46 year college coaching career, his record making win totals, he had an opportunity to save face in 1998, and again in 2002, but looked the other way, and for that he should be relegated to just as Sandusky is getting treated

Also super huge WOW how emotional Matt Millen got, you know that shit is effecting ESPN too, crazy it's branching out so far

Im so surprised the janitor and whoever else stumbled upon Sandusky in the showers wouldnt have just immediatley beaten the shit out of him.

I think Im just stating this because Im thinking its what I wouldve done had I been put in that situation...

Meier

ConfusingJazz said:
Its not the pedophile, its the cover up of the pedophile.
Agreed. The issue here is enabling a guy to go around and molest and rape boys for years unpunished.

If they had been straightforward from the start and gotten this guy off the streets, it would have been a temporary blip on their reputation rather than a permanent black eye.

Hari Seldon said:

Spanier went to Joe Pa 5 years ago and asked him to resign but Joe Pa told him no way and that he would fight the university if they tried. So yeah I wouldnt be to surprised if Spanier thought he could use this to get rid of Joe Pa and it blew up in his face.

yankeehater said:
Spanier went to Joe Pa 5 years ago and asked him to resign but Joe Pa told him no way and that he would fight the university if they tried. So yeah I wouldnt be to surprised if Spanier thought he could use this to get rid of Joe Pa and it blew up in his face.

Or maybe Spanier is being removed because he came supported the folks who perjured themselves?

brucewaynegretzky said:

One pedophile whose actions were allowed to go on for years, who knows how many victims. Disgusting. Who should be fired?

0vGq0.gif

gutshot said:

Ehhh ... I thoguht he was on campus as little as 5 days before this whole thing broke out?

gutshot

Fenderputty said:
Ehhh ... I thoguht he was on campus as little as 5 days before this whole thing broke out?

According to whom? Some random reporter? I think we need more corroborating reports before we can say that definitively. That's why I'm saying there needs to be more investigation done. Who knows if there will be or not though.

JGS

Banned
yankeehater said:
Would have done the exact same thing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom