• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The one thing I can't stand about sports (and I love sports) are the constant hyperbole used by journalists (same problem with gaming). ESPN is actually calling this a national crisis. Paterno is a college football coach. Nothing more. He fucked up? So, let him go, but he should have retired years ago.

Hell, I sort of feel sorry for him, because I doubt he even was capable of understanding what the hell was going on, even back in 2002, but that just stands that you can't keep these guys around as figureheads, just for symbolism's sake. You're a university, your purpose is education, not to build some kind of sports god.

Godslay

Banned
I haven't been following this too closely, but this was reported to the authorities in the first shower incident?

If so why were charges not pressed?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
NomarTyme said:
How about when Obama won?
Nope, not even then. The PSU Board of Trustees is looking like the white version of this:

negro_shenanigans.jpeg

Spectral Glider said:
So McQueary, that chicken shit coward, and Jay Paterno get to stay for the time being. That's kind of silly.

I can't see McQueary lasting too much longer. Joe Pa caught most of the heat because he's the face of the university. But he out now, so i've got to think that McQueary is the next target for the media.

cashman

Banned
Spectral Glider said:
But not his son Jay, who is the QBs coach.
I can't imagine he'll stay on board. Same goes with McQueary. We'll probably see a complete overhaul in terms of the coaching staff.

HeySeuss

Fucking homers asking questions. Jesus, paterno isn't in charge of the college. The board decided its in the best interest of the college to fire him by a standard morality clause in his contract. Pretty fucking simple. Take a step back and understand the gravity of the situation you pukes.

Wthermans

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
The one thing I can't stand about sports (and I love sports) are the constant hyperbole used by journalists (same problem with gaming). ESPN is actually calling this a national crisis. Paterno is a college football coach. Nothing more. He fucked up? So, let him go, but he should have retired years ago.

Hell, I sort of feel sorry for him, because I doubt he even was capable of understanding what the hell was going on, even back in 2002, but that just stands that you can't keep these guys around as figureheads, just for symbolism's sake. You're a university, your purpose is education, not to build some kind of sports god.
Education doesn't pay the bills. Sports do.

SoulPlaya said:
Not true.

If you can dig it up, listen to that Kim Jones interview posted earlier. JoePa was perfectly lucid in 2002.

Hari Seldon

NomarTyme said:
If the student riot, I hope the riot team beat their assess.

No they should riot. Maybe not for Paterno, but for the failure of the entire administration. Even the board of trustees knew about this shit back in March and didn't do shit.

A University that cares more about its integrity than sport.

+respect to the rest of Penn State for showing the corruption was only a few men deep. Men who are not irreplacable, despite their own opinions of themselves.

Hari Seldon said:
No they should riot. Maybe not for Paterno, but for the failure of the entire administration. Even the board of trustees knew about this shit back in March and didn't do shit.
true.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Shick Brithouse said:
Fucking homers asking questions. Jesus, paterno isn't in charge of the college. The board decided its in the best interest of the college to fire him by a standard morality clause in his contract. Pretty fucking simple. Take a step back and understand the gravity of the situation you pukes.
I'm telling you, this is what happens when you start making college all about sports. It's a damn shame when the fucking football coach starts looking like the "most important man on campus". You're a university, spend some time focusing on your education, not building up your football coach.

Here is a little tid bit about Joe.

My Dad's step-nephew was one of the top recruits coming out of Westlake High a number of years ago. Had offers from every top football program and he chose Penn State, partially due to Pa Joe. Well, his first year there his mother developed breast cancer which obviously messed with his mind and nerves. He wanted to come home to see her a couple of times and Joe refused. Basically said if he left school to come and see her he'd lose his spot on the team. He eventually left Penn State to spend time with his mother and after a year wanted to come back to play football. He was blackballed EVERYWHERE. Even community colleges wouldn't touch him due to Joe.

NomarTyme

Hari Seldon said:
I do not see this happening since they're not outside looking in this situation. It gonna hit them soon.

Shit they're rioting

Where is my riot gear?

SoulPlaya said:

If he was unable to understand what child rape is, he should not have been in a position of authority in the first place.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
BertramCooper said:
Not true.

If you can dig it up, listen to that Kim Jones interview posted earlier. JoePa was perfectly lucid in 2002.
Then fuck em, but the point is, how did they allow a football coach to become so important that his firing is being called by ESPN a "national crisis".

dschalter

Wthermans said:
Education doesn't pay the bills. Sports do.

not true. some football programs are fairly profitable, but atheletic departments as a whole tend to lose money.

though you could say that they provide hard to calculate benefits to the school.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Ninja Scooter said:
If he was unable to understand what child rape is, he should not have been in a position of authority in the first place.
So, you're agreeing with me that he should have retired a long time ago?

These people getting all butthurt are supposed to be fucking reporters? Jesus, get the fuck out of here. You are making video game journalists look good.

Cloudy

Banned
They had to do it. Too much outrage. They are gonna be fielding a shitload of lawsuits over this and have to start damage control now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom