• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the hell you gon' get fired..on the day you retire?!
11582441_gal.jpg

SoulPlaya said:
Then fuck em, but the point is, how did they allow a football coach to become so important that his firing is being called by ESPN a "national crisis".

Because college football to universities is like Wall Street to the Beltway.

dschalter said:
not true. some football programs are fairly profitable, but atheletic departments as a whole tend to lose money.

though you could say that they provide hard to calculate benefits to the school.

heard on the radio today that the football program brought in 50 million last year

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Wthermans said:
Education doesn't pay the bills. Sports do.
Tuition for penn State (residents) is more than 15K a year, and 30K a year for non-residents. That's not including fees, and such. That, along with federal and state subsidies, pays the bills.

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
Damn, the guys asking questions are wacky.

Ridiculous, they're more worried about things like compensation instead of asking about the horrible crime that took place. It just shows how far they're stuck up their own asses down there.

I kinda want a riot to happen (and for no one to get seriously hurt) just so I can further troll my friend about Penn St.

Glad I didn't go there....

okay more like I didn't get in but I didn't want to go there any way...yeah.

:(

C Jones

You guys gotta understand this is the first time journos could put Penn State to the fire. This has all been building for a while now.

HeySeuss

JumpingTheGun said:
How the hell you gon' get fired..on the day you retire?!
He announced his retirement to take effect at the end of the season. Once again showing his arrogance in believing that he could dictate and control the situation.

C Jones said:
You guys gotta understand this is the first time journos could put Penn State to the fire. This has all been building for a while now.
Yeah, but they were putting Penn State to the fire about poor old Paterno, not about what actually happened.

Mindlog

JimtotheHum said:
God, can we get some real fucking reporters in here? The room is filled with a bunch of stupid ass college kids.
I was left with jaw agape at some of the questions. This is one of those singular events I will never forget.

ClovingSteam said:
Here is a little tid bit about Joe.

My Dad's step-nephew was one of the top recruits coming out of Westlake High a number of years ago. Had offers from every top football program and he chose Penn State, partially due to Pa Joe. Well, his first year there his mother developed breast cancer which obviously messed with his mind and nerves. He wanted to come home to see her a couple of times and Joe refused. Basically said if he left school to come and see her he'd lose his spot on the team. He eventually left Penn State to spend time with his mother and after a year wanted to come back to play football. He was blackballed EVERYWHERE. Even community colleges wouldn't touch him due to Joe.

The college and the community there gave Joe way too much power. It's not surprising that sketchy stuff could happen when so many people think that someone can do no wrong.

Kusagari

C Jones said:

There is no way those were actual journalists asking those stupid passive-aggressive questions.

InertiaXr

Why are so many people angry on the internet about sports at colleges?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-06-15-athletic-departments-increase-money_n.htm

22 of 218 athletic deparments at D1 public schools made money in 09-10, why are people constantly saying BUT SPORTS PAYS THE BILLS I HATE SPORTS WHY DOES THE SCHOOL EVEN HAVE SPORTS I'M ANGRY? Penn St's athletic program made 18 million in 09-10, while their total endowment last year was 1.5 billion. Anybody who thinks the athletic department somehow runs a school because they made a profit of less than 2% of the school's total money turnover is fucking retarded. I assume calling for bans is banworthy itself but christ is anybody going to use actual facts.

Dude Abides

Banned
What's the Sandusky cheer? I hope it's "Fuck Sandusky!" Jesus Christ if it's supportive of him.

Looks like the crowd is getting bigger and wilder.

C Jones

Kusagari said:
There is no way those were actual journalists asking those stupid passive-aggressive questions.
Yeah I can agree with that.

But is it just me or was the board being soft in their explanation? I completely agree with the firing but I wish the board was more blunt. I did miss the start of the conference so maybe I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom