• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C Jones said:
Yeah I can agree with that.

But is it just me or was the board being soft in their explanation? I completely agree with the firing but I wish the board was more blunt. I did miss the start of the conference so maybe I missed something.

No, they were consistent in use of best interests of the university and the like, collective decision based on all information, etc.

Tom Penny said:
60 years of service and can't even finish the season as head coach.

His record and tenure have nothing to do with the fact that he failed to fully protect children in his locker rooms.

I respect the man's coaching record, but he needed to be fired immediately. There is no wiggle room when it comes to matters like this one.

C Jones said:

But is it just me or was the board being soft in their explanation? I completely agree with the firing but I wish the board was more blunt. I did miss the start of the conference so maybe I missed something.
They are trying not to incite a riot. They know certain people on that campus are not going to be happy with this, being blunt will only cause more problems. This was a business decision nothing more

dschalter

C Jones said:

they were being vague and and making broad statements; not surprising given what the press conference was about, they don't want to be too blunt and get people even more pissed off.

HeySeuss

JimtotheHum said:
The students of Penn State are embarrassing themselves in front of the world right now.
And its going to get worse. Much worse. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can see this getting out of hand fast.

cashman

Banned
Futureman said:
What are some of these questions that were so dumb?
For the last question, someone was insinuating that the board had it out for Paterno and conveniently used this scandal as the perfect oppurtunity to fire him.

Kusagari said:
The rest of the world must be in utter confusion at the furor involving a college football coach being fired.

Yeah, that's one thing I have found to be universal outside of the US, ignorance about college sports.

NomarTyme

Tom Penny said:
For his superior ignoring what he told him? What about the asshat who saw the incident and essentially did nothing including let it happen.
Oh man McQueary is gonna get his.

The fucking crowd is getting larger.....

brucewaynegretzky said:
So who fires the Board of Trustees? One of them is the ex-governor right? Are you telling me he didn't know about the grand jury investigation and did nothing?

Grand jury investigations are sealed. An arrest warrant was issued as soon as the grand jury process ended. The Board of Trustees has done everything right so far in my opinion. Clean house, make institutional changes, and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Godslay

Banned
talisayNon said:
that got thrown out the window when Joe enabled a fucking CHILD RAPIST to stay on campus.

Can someone answer this question? Was the guy convicted of some form of child sexual abuse or was it covered up? I never got a straight answer of how it was handled by the authorities if it ever reached them. I haven't been following this that closely.

talisayNon said:
that got thrown out the window when Joe enabled a fucking CHILD RAPIST to stay on campus.

I assume you didn't see the Press Conference, but the questions he is referring to were from people insisting that Joe did nothing wrong and that this was a conspiracy brewing for the last decade to finally take him out.

sangreal

InertiaXr said:
Why are so many people angry on the internet about sports at colleges?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2011-06-15-athletic-departments-increase-money_n.htm

22 of 218 athletic deparments at D1 public schools made money in 09-10, why are people constantly saying BUT SPORTS PAYS THE BILLS I HATE SPORTS WHY DOES THE SCHOOL EVEN HAVE SPORTS I'M ANGRY? Penn St's athletic program made 18 million in 09-10, while their total endowment last year was 1.5 billion. Anybody who thinks the athletic department somehow runs a school because they made a profit of less than 2% of the school's total money turnover is fucking retarded. I assume calling for bans is banworthy itself but christ is anybody going to use actual facts.
http://chronicle.com/article/Athletics-Endowments-vs/47396/

They are still a good investment

MIMIC

Banned
With the way some of the kids are acting, you'd think they just won a bowl game.

-_-

But who could blame them. They're college kids. I used to be one of them 3 years ago =p But is extremely embarrassing to see. Lord knows I wouldn't be acting like that on camera

VALIS

Kusagari said:
The rest of the world must be in utter confusion at the furor involving a college football coach being fired.

So is part of the country. We don't give much of a shit for college sports in the North East.

Mindlog

SoulPlaya said:
I didn't see it, what did they ask?
As soon as the interview is available I'm sure the link will be posted. In general there were a lot of questions framed in a manner that defended, Paterno.

A NESN live blog.
10:35 p.m. ET: What a fitting way to end the news conference.

Surma was badgered all conference long about the decision. The final question asked had to do with "a conspiracy" about the board trying to get Paterno out since 2004.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
MIMIC said:
With the way some of the kids are acting, you'd think they just won a bowl game.

-_-

But who could blame them. They're college kids. I used to be one of them 3 years ago =p But is is extremely embarrassing to see. Lord knows I wouldn't be acting like that on camera
College kids? These are adults.

cashman said:
For the last question, someone was insinuating that the board had it out for Paterno and conveniently used this scandal as the perfect oppurtunity to fire him.

ok while this would be a stupid time to even ask that question...the board did have it out for Joe.

Even if this shit didn't happen there was no way he was going to get a new contract this year anyway...plus if Penn St wasn't winning they would be glad to get rid of him. They already forced him to change his old ass system.

So yeah it's a dumb time to bring it up...no doubt they were looking for an out and wasn't too fond of Joe.

Still not the time to bring it up, idiot reporters.

Godslay said:
Can someone answer this question? Was the guy convicted of some form of child sexual abuse or was it covered up? I never got a straight answer of how it was handled by the authorities if it ever reached them. I haven't been following this that closely.

The most damning thing, read the grand jury report if you want more info:

Pedo caught raping 10 year old in school showers by Grad assistent. GA called dad and then reported to Paterno. Paterno told him to see the VP and AD. GA told VP and AD in graphic detail. VP and AD did nothing. Pedo arrested for multiple cases of sexual assualt, VP and AD are charged with failure to report and perjury, Paterno got fired because he didn't follow up.

Really, they are getting cleaned out because if they don't do it, the lawsuits and fined from the Dept of Education will be even worse.

Knux-Future said:
ok while this would be a stupid time to even ask that question...the board did have it out for Joe.

Even if this shit didn't happen there was no way he was going to get a new contract this year anyway...plus if Penn St wasn't winning they would be glad to get rid of him. They already forced him to change his old ass system.

So yeah it's a dumb time to bring it up...no doubt they were looking for an out and wasn't too fond of Joe.

Still not the time to bring it up, idiot reporters.
Joe has been senile for a few years now. Of course they wouldn't want him back. No one would.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Shick Brithouse said:
He announced his retirement to take effect at the end of the season. Once again showing his arrogance in believing that he could dictate and control the situation.
Hey you've got to give Paterno some credit. He announced his retirement only out of respect for the Board of Trustees and a desire to make their job easier. It's not his fault they didn't listen to him and decided to spend more time deciding how to deal with him. He explicitly told them not to do that.

Tom Penny said:
For his superior ignoring what he told him? What about the asshat who saw the incident and essentially did nothing including let it happen.
First of all, Paterno had no "superior" at Penn State. All he did was pass the buck because he didn't want to get his hands dirty.
Secondly, when his "superior" failed to notify the authorities Paterno had a moral obligation to do so. Him failing to contributed to the raping of numerous young boys.
Finally, Paterno gave Sandusky access to football facilities for years (even as recently as last week, even after Paterno testified before the grand jury in this case.)

HeySeuss

SolidSnakex said:
No, McQueary (the current WR coach at PSU) saw the child being raped. He took that info to Paterno the next day after asking his dad what he should do. He left the kid getting abused and said nothing until the following day.
Fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom