• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.
kaskade said:
I'm just reading up on all this so did Joe actually see this Jerry guy doing stuff with a kid?

Allegations surfaced in 1998, and Sandusky retired. People suspect Paterno had to know about it from that point on, but I don't believe facts to prove this are know to exist yet. This suspicion is supported by the fact that there was an actual Police investigation, Sandusky apparently admitted he did it, and then no charges were filed for an unknown reason. The fact that he was the next in line to be coach further strengthens this.

In 2002, a coach saw actual rape, reported it to Paterno. Paterno reported it to the AD and a VP of the University. Nothing happened, and Paterno took no further action.

Sandusky was still on campus often throughout this entire period, including allegations that he was at the Football facilities as recently as a week ago.

So, no, Paterno saw nothing. He was told about a rape, reported it to a couple University administrators and took no further action. The facts allow an inference without factual support that he may have known more.

Most people aren't saying he acted criminally, just irresponsibly and immorally, thus justifying his firing.

HeySeuss

mre said:
Hey you've got to give Paterno some credit. He announced his retirement only out of respect for the Board of Trustees and a desire to make their job easier. It's not his fault they didn't listen to him and decided to spend more time deciding how to deal with him. He explicitly told them not to do that.
Lol..my mistake.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit sad to see Joe go out this way, but he did it to himself. This whole situation and the cover ups and everything is so fucked.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wasn't the VP, at the time, in charge of campus police, which is an actual police station?

The way I understood it, the local authorities were notified. They, just like the DA of the area, failed to do anything.

HeySeuss

How great would it be if the ncaa decided to punish Penn State by forfeiting wins so that Eddie Robinson was once again recognized as the winningest D1 coach?

I know its not going to happen.

fucking idiot students at Penn State, hey kids: People covering up a 10 year old kid getting raped is more important then your fucking college football

"Joe Pa" is a piece of shit himself. Someone tells him one of his coaches rapes a kid and he tells the guy above him and washes his hands of all responsibility. Yeah don't tell the cops or anything like that, wouldn't want Penn football being looked at negatively at all

and the grad student who saw the rape should be in prison for life, he does NOTHING to stop it, tells his DAD first, then decides NOT to tell the cops and keeps it in house. Class act you fucking shit

Big Baybee said:
I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit sad to see Joe go out this way, but he did it to himself. This whole situation and the cover ups and everything is so fucked.

Basically how I feel.

It's immensely sad that this was how it ended, but seeing all of this unfold it was obvious this was what needed to happen, and what was going to happen.

Lonestar said:
Wasn't the VP, at the time, in charge of campus police, which is an actual police station?

The way I understood it, the local authorities were notified. They, just like the DA of the area, failed to do anything.

I don't believe they were informed. You are correct in that he had some control over the police, but I don't think they were notified.

I think maybe you are conflating this incident in 2002 with the 1998 complaint, which was investigated but where no charges were ultimately filed, leading to Sandusky's retirement.

MIMIC

Banned
C Jones said:
Which one?

Either kid (were there more than two?) I'm wondering because they're condemning Paterno of inaction (not calling the police) but I was wondering whether the kids' parents were immediately informed of their children being sexually assaulted.

Lonestar said:

Not sure. But yeah, a state university's campus police force are full-blown police officers. Not only that, they are considered state police. They just stay confined to campus usually I'm sure because being on the "turf" of the city/county police outside of campus isn't appreciated in most circumstances.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Sirpopopop said:
Last move to make - Death penalty.
We talked about this last night, but if the NCAA doesn't give Paterno, McQueary, and Sandusky the death penalty, then will that institution have any integrity left at all?

MIMIC said:
Either kid (were there more than two?) I'm wondering because they're condemning Paterno of inaction (not calling the police) but I was wondering whether the kids' parents were immediately informed of what happened.

I believe 8 children were in the indictment, as many as 17 or 18 total have come forward now. I am not sure how the process works with the informing parents. Some might have known and become involved in the grand jury investigation. I can't imagine they would just drop the bomb on others (even though names are not included, parents might be able to figure it out based on the facts).

This is further complicated by the timeframe, some of the victims are now adults, so releasing info to the parents may not be allowed without authorization from the adult victims.

edit: one parent knew immediately and brought a complaint in 98 to no avail. Presumptively most of the other parents were unaware for some time, as this is something you generally don't let slide, and also something victims have a hard time telling people about.

Good riddance.

And fuck commiserating for JoePa and his merry band of enablers. By his own actions he tacitly supported a child molester. Fuck his legacy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SerArthurDayne said:
I don't believe they were informed. You are correct in that he had some control over the police, but I don't think they were notified.

I think maybe you are conflating this incident in 2002 with the 1998 complaint, which was investigated but where no charges were ultimately filed, leading to Sandusky's retirement.

Both times. Some form of "police" was notified. Result: nothing.

Where is the hate for the lazy cops and the dead? DA? What took the replacement DA so damn long to begin the investigation?

HeySeuss

MIMIC said:
Either kid (were there more than two?) I'm wondering because they're condemning Paterno of inaction (not calling the police) but I was wondering whether the kids' parents were immediately informed of what happened.
There are allegedly over 20 victims that have cone forward. One of the victims mothers confronted Sandusky asking him what happened. His answer was basically "I just want to die and I know you will never forgive me".

A Penn St police officer was allegedly near enough to hear the conversation, but its unknown what was done about it, seemingly nothing.

C Jones

MIMIC said:
Either kid (were there more than two?) I'm wondering because they're condemning Paterno of inaction (not calling the police) but I was wondering whether the kids' parents were immediately informed of their children being sexually assaulted.
The one Paterno knew about - the kid was never identified because it was never properly reported to police.

The only reason this investigation started is because a separate incident in '07 which had nothing to do with JoePa.

If you want the full details read the grand jury report. Do it on an empty stomach and during the day though.

MIMIC

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
I believe 8 children were in the indictment, as many as 17 or 18 total have come forward now. I am not sure how the process works with the informing parents. Some might have known and become involved in the grand jury investigation. I can't imagine they would just drop the bomb on others (even though names are not included).

This is further complicated by the timeframe, some of the victims are now adults, so releasing info to the parents may not be allowed without authorization from the adult victims.

SEVENTEEN OR EIGHTEEN? Holy shit @_@

This scandal is more lurid than I thought.

C Jones said:
The one Paterno knew about - the kid was never identified because it was never properly reported to police.

The only reason this investigation started is because a separate incident in '07 which had nothing to do with JoePa.

If you want the full details read the grand jury report. Do it on an empty stomach and during the day though.

Oh God. Wow.

Godslay

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
The most damning thing, read the grand jury report if you want more info:

Pedo caught raping 10 year old in school showers by Grad assistent. GA called dad and then reported to Paterno. Paterno told him to see the VP and AD. GA told VP and AD in graphic detail. VP and AD did nothing. Pedo arrested for multiple cases of sexual assualt, VP and AD are charged with failure to report and perjury, Paterno got fired because he didn't follow up.

Really, they are getting cleaned out because if they don't do it, the lawsuits and fined from the Dept of Education will be even worse.

Thanks for the reply. I can understand the firing and it makes sense to clean house. From what it sounds like, all Paterno had to do was follow up and make sure that business was taken care of and events reached a conclusion. I understand as a coach he most likely had very little involvement in the HR aspect of things, but Sandusky was his coordinator and would be tied to him. I'm surprised he just didn't fire him and move on. Hell in most places you don't even need a reason to fire someone.

I think the safe bet would have been to fire Sandusky and if he turns out innocent face any wrongful termination lawsuit. If he's guilty then children are protected, the program continues on, and the garbage is removed.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Shick Brithouse said:
There are allegedly over 20 victims that have cone forward. One of the victims mothers confronted Sandusky asking him what happened. His answer was basically "I just want to die and I know you will never forgive me".

A Penn St police officer was allegedly near enough to hear the conversation, but its unknown what was done about it, seemingly nothing.
It was the DA (who has subsequently disappeared and been declared dead) that declined to move the investigation forward based upon that conversation, not the police.

MIMIC said:
SEVENTEEN OR EIGHTEEN? Holy shit @_@

This scandal is more lurid than I thought.

A rumor came out late last night/early this morning suggesting that Sandusky was running a child sex ring. That's currently being investigated.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sirpopopop said:
Last move to make - Death penalty for the next season.

Only way to rebuild is to let the field lie fallow, and change the headline.

Yeah, because punishing all the kids who are just playing football is the absolute fair thing to do.

My god, really?

Lonestar said:
Both times. Some form of "police" was notified. Result: nothing.

Where is the hate for the lazy cops and the dead? DA? What took the replacement DA so damn long to begin the investigation?
Huh?
Cops investigated the 98 incident and the DA decided he didn't have enough evidence for whatever reason. The police were not notified about the 02 incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom