• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State football pedophilia thread (UPDATE: NCAA sanctions handed down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Whatever. Fine, shut the school down. Burn it to the ground.

Don't shut the school down. Give Penn State Football the death penalty and create a more transparent and open leadership structure that is reviewed annually by outside organizations at the expense of Penn State to ensure that the structure in place is being adhered to. Reintroduce Penn State's football program when Penn State is able to handle having a football program that does not override and manipulate overall school systems like disciplining of students and faculty related to the football and athletics program.

Enron

Banned
Dude, I don't know what your problem is, but I'm seriously asking you to show me an article or video of riots TODAY.

I was never referring to the day Paterno was fired. You either misunderstood me or you're going out of your way to be difficult.

The point of it is that a riot happened LAST time. Measures were taken to prevent it from happening again. Other posters have understood this. How come YOU can't?

Someone here is going out of their way to be difficult. However, it isn't me.

Yes, LOL, ha! because the students at main campus make up the whole university. Do you have any idea of how big the school is? How many branch campuses there are?

The Air Force right now is having major issues with a sexual abuse scandal. Are you going to shut down the Air Force or are you going to punish all of those involved?

Hate the people that did this horrible crime. Punish them to the fullest extent of the law, but give it a rest for the 100,000 students and staff that didn't do anything nor knew anthing about this tragedy.

I think what he's trying to say is that let the ignorant fools expose themselves and take actions against them. People who are innocent are not going to be at these riots. It's like sifting out the bad apples. Get rid off all the people who support the cover up and that includes rioting students.

I think what he's trying to say is that let the ignorant fools expose themselves and take actions against them. People who are innocent are not going to be at these riots. It's like sifting out the bad apples. Get rid off all the people who support the cover up and that includes rioting students.

Why are you so hateful?!?!?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I know Im oversimplifying but I honestly do not see how the NCAA can justify NOT shutting the football program down. To me that sends a message that shady football dealings are much worse crimes than facilitating child rape.

The point of it is that a riot happened LAST time. Measures were taken to prevent it from happening again. Other posters have understood this. How come YOU can't?

Someone here is going out of their way to be difficult. However, it isn't me.

The students rioted the first time because Paterno was fired and they had already gathered in a gigantic mob on his front lawn.

This is a small group of people watching a television.

Now, if you can explain to me without going all "LOL U IDIOT DURRRRRR" how it would cause a riot, I'll drop it.

Dude Abides

Banned
I know Im oversimplifying but I honestly do not see how the NCAA can justify NOT shutting the football program down. To me that sends a message that shady football dealings are much worse crimes than facilitating child rape.

Because shady football dealings are what the NCAA deals with. Child rape is what the judicial authorities deal with. The NCAA does have a morals clause but they have never dealt with something like this.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Considering the fact that it is summer session right now I think the chance for a riot today is pretty minimal.

Sadly they chose to release this report during the Central Pennsylvania Arts Festival (known at PSU as Arts Fest) when thousands upon thousands of students, alums, and visitors come to State College, typically getting into town Friday for the weekend. There have been documented riots at Arts Fest before, I believe there was a race-based riot in '98 or '99, so the precedent is there. Hopefully there aren't too many idiots deciding to do stupid things this time, but I'm not optimistic.

The students rioted the first time because Paterno was fired and they had already gathered in a gigantic mob on his front lawn.

Now, if you can explain to me without going all "LOL U IDIOT DURRRRRR" how it would cause a riot, I'll drop it.

They're minimizing the possibility of an incident happening. We don't truly know the amount of people watching the television because the article was intentionally written to paint the school in an unflattering light. The school has had issues before, they are ensuring similar incidents do not take place again. This is basic corporate health and safety mentality.

The schools' actions were justified.

Enron

Banned

I already explained it. Do you think Penn State officials have a crystal ball? Do you think they know how many people are going to be standing around watching university TVs ahead of time? Of course not. This is merely a planned-ahead-of-time package of precautions they put in place after the debacle of joe pa's firing. Not some insidious plot.

Again, several other posters have said the same thing. How come you are the only one seemingly not able to grasp this?

Because shady football dealings are what the NCAA deals with. Child rape is what the judicial authorities deal with. The NCAA does have a morals clause but they have never dealt with something like this.

And as I've said before, if the NCAA were to apply the morals clause to these off-field antics, then they'd be coming down when a coach fucks the secretary, when a kid is pulled over with weed/booze/guns, when an AD is pulled over drunk with some trashy girl's panties in his lap, etc. etc. But they never do. I wouldn't expect them to start now.

tapedeck

No shit. Can you tell me what the point of having a "morals clause" is if you dont punish the act of children being raped in an NCAA locker room?

Dude Abides

Banned
No shit. Can you tell me what the point of having a "morals clause" is if you dont punish the act of children being raped in an NCAA locker room?

No shit? Why did you ask the question if you already knew the answer?

A lot of agreements have catch-all provisions that are never enforced. Why don't you ask the NCAA why they have a morals clause that they don't enforce?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

And to be clear, it's not punishing the school because Sandusky was a pedophile. It's punishing the school for not acting on the information it had, for covering it up, and for putting the football program above all else. That should fall under the NCAA's jurisdiction. If it doesn't, then their rules are fucked up and inadequate.

Cyan

Banned
But if the bad eggs have been thrown out of the program, in what I assume was the process undertaken, surely the new leaders shouldn't be punished for past (colossal) errors?
Why not?

The stigma will be bad enough punishment for the school/football program.
This is patently false. PSU received massive quantities of donations after the Sandusky stuff came out. Free market stigma-based punishment obviously doesn't work.

why all of this hatred for the students of Penn State?
Why do you hate children?

I don't think there's any question now. Death penalty incoming.

I just can't see them going that far. The end of the football program is the end of all sports programs. Football pays for the sports programs like the golf team who bring no money to the university. Cut those programs and now you have to cut coaches as well. I also don't think the allumni would stand for it and without those big donations the university will buckle.

tapedeck

No shit? Why did you ask the question if you already knew the answer?

A lot of agreements have catch-all provisions that are never enforced. Why don't you ask the NCAA why they have a morals clause that they don't enforce?
Well I never asked you anything, I assume everyone knows the NCAA isnt a criminal enforcement agency thats why I said "no shit". Fact is these events took place on school property which as far as I can tell is in the NCAA's reach. I think the football program should be shut down, but I dont think they are going to shit other than maybe make them bowl ineligible for like 3 years.

And to be clear, it's not punishing the school because Sandusky was a pedophile. It's punishing the school for not acting on the information it had, for covering it up, and for putting the football program above all else. That should fall under the NCAA's jurisdiction. If it doesn't, then their rules are fucked up and inadequate.
Exactly.

Probably because they would get fucking destroyed in court if they tried to enforce it.
So you are telling me a court would overturn a football program being shut down by the NCAA for not meeting the criteria of their moral clause when that school facilitated child rape for 14 years. Got it.

FyreWulff

I just can't see them going that far. The end of the football program is the end of all sports programs. Football pays for the sports programs like the golf team who bring no money to the university. Cut those programs and now you have to cut coaches as well. I also don't think the allumni would stand for it and without those big donations the university will buckle.

I don't think trading golf for ruining a kid's life is worth it. If the golf program can't self fund then the university doesn't need it.

Cyan

Banned
Why?

Guilt by association?

By association? What the hell are you talking about?

You're advocating no punishment at all for the institution simply because the people who were in charge at the time are no longer there. What does guilt by association have to do with anything?

Stop donating millions of dollars to the uni.

Current evidence says the opposite, if anything. And why would the NCAA care?

I don't think trading golf for ruining a kid's life is worth it. If the golf program can't self fund then the university doesn't need it.

Huh? The golf program didn't ruin the kids' life. Sandusky did, and all those who covered for him exacerbated it.

Too much hyperbole in your statement.

Dude Abides

Banned
Well I never asked you anything, I assume everyone knows the NCAA isnt a criminal enforcement agency thats why I said "no shit". Fact is these events took place on school property which as far as I can tell is in the NCAA's reach. I think the football program should be shut down, but I dont think they are going to shit other than maybe make them bowl ineligible for like 3 years.

True, you did not ask. You expressed incredulity about the likely outcome. I was trying to explain why you should not be so incredulous.

Many things happen on college campuses that the NCAA does not get involved in. They are there to enforce (or pretend to enforce) amateurism and the notion of "scholar athletes," not act as a general police force for anything that involves football and athletic staff.

I hate to say it, but it boils down to three words.

Too fucking bad.

When one person screws up in a group or battalion, he's punished alongside everyone else. No, it's not fair. No, it's not their fault. But in order to create lasting change and a change in culture, sometimes you need to bring the hammer down with disregard of who gets hurt. And it's not like the students don't have options. They can transfer, go to other schools etc which will only hurt Penn State more. And I keep hearing about how the NCAA won't do it because the precedent isn't there. Well...MAKE THE FUCKING PRECEDENT. When you have everyone up to the staff of Penn State covering up this monster's actions, that is the very definition of lack of institutional control. This is what the people want, the country wants its pound of flesh, so give it to them.

FyreWulff

Huh? The golf program didn't ruin the kids' life. Sandusky did, and all those who covered for him exacerbated it.

"Don't touch football, or other shit will be shut down because football paid for it" sounds a lot like blackmail.

Thusly, I'll take losing golf over letting a corrupt football program go free.

tapedeck

True, you did not ask. You expressed incredulity about the likely outcome. I was trying to explain why you should not be so incredulous.

Many things happen on college campuses that the NCAA does not get involved in.
Fair enough, wishful thinking on my part I guess.

There are a ton of programs at universities that rely on funding from other money making programs. It's not fair for people who have nothing to do with this scandal to suffer because of the actions of a few.

Hari Seldon

Why not?

This is patently false. PSU received massive quantities of donations after the Sandusky stuff came out. Free market stigma-based punishment obviously doesn't work.

Why do you hate children?

Lol you have some media filled bloodlust rage. Do we or do we not only punish people responsible for a crime in this country? Or do we throw everyone ever associated with the actual criminals into a gulag Stalin style?

"Don't touch football, or other shit will be shut down because football paid for it" sounds a lot like blackmail.

Thusly, I'll take losing golf over letting a corrupt football program go free.

I hate to say it, but it boils down to three words.

Too fucking bad.

When one person screws up in a group or battalion, he's punished alongside everyone else. No, it's not fair. No, it's not their fault. But in order to create lasting change and a change in culture, sometimes you need to bring the hammer down with disregard of who gets hurt. And it's not like the students don't have options. They can transfer, go to other schools etc which will only hurt Penn State more. And I keep hearing about how the NCAA won't do it because the precedent isn't there. Well...MAKE THE FUCKING PRECEDENT. When you have everyone up to the staff of Penn State covering up this monster's actions, that is the very definition of lack of institutional control. This is what the people want, the country wants its pound of flesh, so give it to them.

So let's shut down football, baseball, cycling or any sport in the US that's been touched by scandal while we're at it.

By association? What the hell are you talking about?

You're advocating no punishment at all for the institution simply because the people who were in charge at the time are no longer there. What does guilt by association have to do with anything?

You're saying that the new leaders, and the school as a whole, should be punished because of horrible crimes committed by people no longer there. You're basically implying the new structure should suffer as a result of association with past leaders. We've so far seen no evidence to suggest the new people are worthy of scrutiny.

If the new institutional heads can lift Penn State from the mire and put it on the right course, they should be allowed to.

There really isn't anything in the NCAA rules that would punish an institution for allowing such a large cover up on an administrative level? I mean ... it's not just the rape. It's that they covered it up and allowed it to continue to prevent bad publicity and in turn hurt their atheltic department.

Lane Kiffin didn't ruin USCw's football program. Reggie Bush did.

The present student athletes at SMU didn't ruin their football program did. Craig James did.

Urban Meyer didn't participate in tattoo gate. Terelle Pryor did.

AL Golden didn't participate in the U's scandals. Everyone else did.

Yet, these are the people who are laboring under the majority of the punishment. Just because there will be vast attendant damage to uninvolved parties doesn't mean that the NCAA/DOE should let the involved party escape with zero damage.

That involved party is the University of Penn State.

Cyan

Banned
You're saying that the new leaders, and the school as a whole, should be punished because of horrible crimes committed by people no longer there.

I'm saying that the school as a whole should be punished, yes.

You're basically implying the new structure should suffer as a result of association with past leaders. We've so far seen no evidence to suggest the new people are worthy of scrutiny.
What new structure? It's the same institution, with new people at the top.

If the new institutional heads can lift Penn State from the mire and put it on the right course, they should be allowed to.
Well yeah, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom