• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are overlooking the PS5 Pro Boost mode for PS4 games

ManaByte

People aren’t paying enough attention to the PS5 Boost mode enhancing PS4 BC games.

This could be one of the best features of the console.

60fps Blooodborne and RDR2. Only $699.

is-that-something-you-would-be-interested-in-interested.gif

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Same way Xbox games locked at 30 got FPS boost.
Lots of these Xbox 360 games didn't have frame rate locks. As for the rest, Microsoft had to go back and unlock them. Their BC compatibility was a conscious effort to enhance their games. They didn't just push a button and it happened. Sony could have had 60fps Bloodborne since the first day of the PS5. What makes you think they'll suddenly give it to us when they've been acting like this game doesn't exist for years?

Fbh

Most Ps4 games already look pretty good on Ps5 though.
60fps for stuff like Bloodborne and RDR2 would be great but unless they get patched to remove the 30fps lock I don't see how the Pro would get them to run that way, unless it's some frame gen stuff that's probably going to suck.
And if they get patched only for Ps5pro I'd honestly be upset since we know for a fact both games can run just fine at 60fps on a base Ps5 thanks to the unofficial patches on modded consoles.

Lots of these Xbox 360 games didn't have frame rate locks. As for the rest, Microsoft had to go back and unlock them. Their BC compatibility was a conscious effort to enhance their games. They didn't just push a button and it happened. Sony could have had 60fps Bloodborne since the first day of the PS5. What makes you think they'll suddenly give it to us when they've been acting like this game doesn't exist for years?
99% of 360 games with FPS boost had locks. The only unlocked one I can think of is GTA IV.

Quantum253

Gold Member
And what studios will be putting resources in enhancing a title again, let alone, if they never created a PS4 Pro enhanced version

BlackTron

Boosting PS4 games isn't very high on the list of reasons PS5 Pro seems that great. PS4 games already got one boost on PS4 Pro and another one on base PS5. Any remaining PS4 games that need help probably could get it on what we already have with a patch that never happened.

violence

The dev would need to update it and that's work. Maybe one line of code sometimes. Shadow of the Colossus for example never got one.

Last edited:

Bitstream

So can anyone explain to me what about this PS5 Pro boost mode makes it any different than regular PS5 running PS4/PS4 Pro games?
The difference appears to be the words "pro" and "boost". Pro typically means being a professional, and boost is some type of drug or something, idk.
Confused Thinking GIF

Anyway it's good for those who will eventually will get a PS6, i guess any improvement here will apply on PS6 as well, will be interesting to see if they came out with some kind of FPS Boost, tho this still needs patching as some games like Sunset Overdrive is still locked to 30fps on XSX.

Zathalus

I do wonder what this means. It can’t be better performance, all the PS4 games are locked. Similar to the Xbox feature where some games are boosted to 60 from 30?

XXL

We need some more demonstrations, but the possibilities are very exciting.

I can't wait for next few weeks to go by so we can get some solid info.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

People aren’t paying enough attention to the PS5 Boost mode enhancing PS4 BC games.

imagine 60 - 90 - 120fps on every game already launched for just U$ 300 more, PS5 BC is shit for that price.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don’t think they are I just think it’s one of those features, like on Xbox, that are/were touted as huge wins but in actuality only a tiny percentage of players go back to play their older games (and I presume don’t buy older games solely because they are now enhanced).

XXL

Where is proof?
Beyond those specific game updates, another mode called PS5 Pro Game Boost promises performance improvements for 8,500 backward-compatible PS4 games that play on PS5, and Sony promises some PS5 game improvements here too. I didn't get to try any PS4 games to see how they played.
"I've already seen games with three different PS5 Pro modes," Cerny said of the lineup of games upgraded for the launch. "As time goes by, particularly for the games which are launching after the hardware releases, we'll increasingly see a more nuanced approach, where the focus is less on resolution, and much more about higher image quality through a variety of strategies."

We just need details on exactly what this means.

jm89

This is why sony did such a terrible job with the reveal. Why is stuff like this so vague? Give an example of a game that could get boosted

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Does it require a patch? From and I think especially Rockstar won't patch it. Rockstar would want that $£€ for the PS5 version.

notseqi

I accept your troll and I won't report it to the authorities.
Looking forward to your future work.

Natsuko

I don't know how other people feel ... I've played a small number of PS4 games on the PS5. What will the PS5 Pro change about that? I almost only play story games. You get through them and that's that. Maybe you'll pick them up again at some point. But it's not the kind of game you play regularly for years. And the kind of games I play are rarely the very best in terms of technology anyway. JRPGs are rarely visual showpieces. And you don't benefit from 60 fps in games like this either. Racing games, shooters and the like? The older I get, the less I´m interested in them.

XXL

LoL im not paying nearly a grand to play old PS games at a slight higher frame rate.
That's not what the PS5 Pro is.

The PS5 Pro is basically games playing in fidelity and performance mode at this same time with increased image clarity through PSSR.

It can effectively double the frame rate of fidelity modes and make the image look better.

Not a "slightly higher frame rate". Lol.

It's 100% framerate increase in fidelity mode, for games that have a performance mode. From what we know so far.

We have no idea how PS5 Pro's boost mode is going to effect older titles yet, but we know it does.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member

We just need details on exactly what this means.
I think it's imperative indeed to have details on what this means.

Surely doesn't imply an automatic pass of PSSR and the likes on PS4 games like Bloodborne or Driveclub or RDR2 or others.. not sure such a thing could even work the first place.

XXL

I think it's imperative indeed to have details on what this means.

Surely doesn't imply an automatic pass of PSSR and the likes on PS4 games like Bloodborne or Driveclub or RDR2 or others.. not sure such a thing could even work the first place.
Good thing is, we should find out soon.

Bojji

I do wonder what this means. It can’t be better performance, all the PS4 games are locked. Similar to the Xbox feature where some games are boosted to 60 from 30?

In theory they can remove OS flags that keep framerate 30fps locked, just like modders did with PS4 games on hacked PS5 already (shown with RDR2, Bloodborne and many others). But they can do the same with regular PS5 as well, it's more than 2x more powerful than PS4 Pro, locking it to Pro console would be bullshit.

Euler007

They're not really overlooking it, they just think they can get Sony to sell this exact BoM at a loss to them by bitching on the internet.

clarky

Gold Member
That's not what the PS5 Pro is.

The PS5 Pro is basically games playing in fidelity and performance mode at this same time with increased image clarity through PSSR.

It can effectively double the frame rate of fidelity modes and make the image look better.

Not a "slightly higher frame rate". Lol.

It's 100% framerate increase in fidelity mode, for games that have a performance mode. From what we know so far.

We have no idea how PS5 Pro's boost mode is going to effect older titles yet, but we know it does.
Read the title of the thread my man. "LOL"

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
For all we know it just boosts games the PS5 already boosted and Bloodborne wasn't one of them.
Now if it boosts Neir Automata & ACUnity to 4k60fps?
Then we can talk.

Top Bottom