• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are overlooking the PS5 Pro Boost mode for PS4 games

clarky

Gold Member
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF by Travis
No idea. You brought up PC when we are talking about the benefits of the PRO's supposed boost mode enhancing PS4 games.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

People aren’t paying enough attention to the PS5 Boost mode enhancing PS4 BC games.

This could be one of the best features of the console.

60fps Blooodborne and RDR2. Only $699.

is-that-something-you-would-be-interested-in-interested.gif
It'll be same than before, or same than XSX (which is great) if the game was locked at 30 it'll remain locked at 30.

King Dazzar

What they sounded very similar to PS4 Pro's boost mode. Need to see some examples. And it will need bespoke patches to actually benefit games with locked frame rates.
Not necessarily. I'm wondering if it will improve DRS titles now too. Previously I assumed it may not as a title would be constrained by PS4 BC. But I'm hoping thats not the case now once Boost mode is enabled. We'll need to see.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not necessarily. I'm wondering if it will improve DRS titles now too. Previously I assumed it may not as a title would be constrained by PS4 BC. But I'm hoping thats not the case now once Boost mode is enabled. We'll need to see.

DRS titles were improved by PS4 Pro's boost mode too. Any game with DRS or unlocked frame rate benefited to some extents. But the max for non-patched BC games was 1080p so there weren't exactly a lot of big variances in most cases.

Last edited:

aclar00

Definitely seems like a facetious post, but in case it isnt...why wouldn't the fucking base PS5 already be able to do this?! Doesn't it, shouldn't it, why wouldn't it? Googly Eyes

iHaunter

People aren’t paying enough attention to the PS5 Boost mode enhancing PS4 BC games.

This could be one of the best features of the console.

60fps Blooodborne and RDR2. Only $699.

is-that-something-you-would-be-interested-in-interested.gif
Bloodborne is 30 FPS locked because of the engine not hardware.

You can have 3x RTX 5090s. It's not going to matter.

ZehDon

What do you mean - most of their presentation was showing off PS4 games.

Their "boost mode' could be terrific, but without an API-level interjection on Sony's part, it'll come down to the games and what they ultimately support. Just like the PS5 running PS4 games: some PS4 games got a nice boost and some are basically identical.

omegasc

how do I get in line to create the next PS5 Pro thread?

(Bloodborne didn't even get a PS4 Pro patch :messenger_crying:)

Last edited:

Bitstream

Bloodborne is 30 FPS locked because of the engine not hardware.

You can have 3x RTX 5090s. It's not going to matter.
Louder for the people in the back please. The engine is hardcoded to run in 30 fps, the code can definitely be rewritten to aim for 60 fps, but including stronger hardware does nothing to address this. The extra power doesn't matter until the software is patched, and it never has been (officially). That said, I can see a future where ai upscaling and frame gen is enough to up-rez and make any game feel like a smooth 60 regardless of the input frame data, but we're just not there yet.

Shifty1897

This is so painful to read all over the Internet. This is not how it works. 60fps Bloodborne isn't happening without a patch. It's not happening at all because it's been 10 years.

Bojji

Louder for the people in the back please. The engine is hardcoded to run in 30 fps, the code can definitely be rewritten to aim for 60 fps, but including stronger hardware does nothing to address this. The extra power doesn't matter until the software is patched, and it never has been (officially). That said, I can see a future where ai upscaling and frame gen is enough to up-rez and make any game feel like a smooth 60 regardless of the input frame data, but we're just not there yet.

Nope, they fixed the engine with DS2 release, every souls game since that has no problem reaching 60fps.

Blooborne just needs one os flag removed and it runs 60 on ps5

Sony can do it, but they won't most likely.

Bitstream

..The extra power doesn't matter until the software is patched, and it never has been (officially)..
^^ This part, the game code needs to be updated with a patch, boost mode wont magically rewrite the code to push 60
Nope, they fixed the engine with DS2 release, every souls game since that has no problem reaching 60fps.

Blooborne just needs one os flag removed and it runs 60 on ps5

Sony can do it, but they won't most likely.

Stu_Hart

Isn't bloodborne hard coded to run at 30 fps? How is that game going to benefit unless the devs change something?
Ps4 pro and ps5 did nothing to it.

Last edited:

Bojji

Isn't bloodborne hard coded to run at 30 fps? How is that game going to benefit unless the devs change something?
Ps4 pro and ps5 did nothing to it.

It's not hard coded, it's just limited by console level frame rate cap. Once you disable it it runs 60fps.

Based on hacked consoles we know that Sony can unlock most PS4 games to run 60fps, they don't even need third party developers involvement.

System level Boost mode - "use at your own risk" would be amazing, but of course Sony are pussies and won't do it.

Last edited:
I've said it before and I'll say it again worse than Sony's ridiculous price of 800 euros for the pro are these cuks and simps of sony who will do and say anything to justify it's price
Games that have Drs and unlocked frame rate will benefit the games that are locked 30 you aint getting shit

zokie

the PS5pro SRP in my region is $1069 , which did not includes the vertical stand and disc drive , which adds up to $1275

my region PS5 digital slim console is $605 if there are promos , $735 for disc version if there are promos
$160 - optional disc drive
$45 - Vertical Stand
$200 - 2TB SSD with heatsink

so if i were to get a disc version , it will be at $980 but it will be 3TB worth of space

i can use that $295 for other software or audio purchases , but thats my thinking that i would rather not get a PS5pro

skneogaf

There's absolutely no reason the standard ps5 can't play bloodborne at 60fps so if for some miracle the ps5 pro plays bloodborne at 60fps then I will be very annoyed if the standard ps5 doesn't.

Trilobit

Will it be a framerate boost like that horribly nasty thing LG OLED TVs do with TruMotion or something actually enjoyable?

RoboCain

Imagine the look on people's face when Sony tries to charge 10-15 bucks per patch for games you own after you paid 699 for the console.

So can anyone explain to me what about this PS5 Pro boost mode makes it any different than regular PS5 running PS4/PS4 Pro games?

Nobody knows. Everything about it has been very vague, so I'm assuming it's just the regular PS5 Boost Mode for framerates with PSSR applied on top of it for increased visual fidelity.

Enhancements to my current library is my main reason to purchase Pro.

Bingo. If Sony wants to sell me on this, the Pro had better provide some benefits to my entire catalog and not just for future games, considering this gen is already more than half over.

Yeah - maybe they’ll patch Bloodborne to run at 60fps for free rather selling ‘Bloodborne Remastered’ for £80 as a PS6 launch game :messenger_ok:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Don't wanna make a sperate thread. Cerny said during the presentation that one of the objectives of the Pro was that players wouldn't have to choose between the Quality and Performance modes anymore. The Pro does Quality settings at 60fps. Does that mean we're not getting a super high-quality 30fps mode on the Pro?

Don't wanna make a sperate thread. Cerny said during the presentation that one of the objectives of the Pro was that players wouldn't have to choose between the Quality and Performance modes anymore. The Pro does Quality settings at 60fps. Does that mean we're not getting a super high-quality 30fps mode on the Pro?
Again, nothing has been stated by Sony clearly, but it appears, according to the CNET write up, that all new games must offer a Pro mode, which COULD mean 4k/60fps, but it could ALSO mean 4k/30fps with high quality ray tracing or some other such visual upgrades or even 1440p/60fps.

Bottomline is, no one really knows anything. Sony just keeps using words like "may" and "can", without saying anything definitive.

Top Bottom