• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People bitching and whining about "controversial" game design decisions... STFU and enjoy the game, and if you can't, play something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Hey OP, your favorite game? It sucks.
16030.jpg

GHG GHG nice pfp

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My favorite trend in the last decade has been armchair developers crying and bitching about gameplay and design decisions in some of the best received and loved games of all time, and claiming they could do better without some very integral things that make those games exactly what they are. We have multiple examples of this kind of decision, of course. We have people who bitch about the deliberate controls and cinematic stylings of Red Dead Redemption 2. We have people who bitch about weapon durability in Breath of the Wild. We have people who bitch about difficulty levels in the Dark Souls games (plus Elden Ring, Sekiro, Bloodborne).

Those last two are especially prevalent everywhere. It's impossible to talk about Elden Ring or Zelda without some "ackchually" keyboard warrior coming in to hijack the discussion and tell us about why the games are terrible because they lack difficulty options or because they have weapon durability, both of those decisions ones very deliberately made by the developers to make the games they wanted to make.

These games are ones that thrive on friction for the player. They're not meant to be polished to the extent that they tell the player everything and are afraid of the player ever feeling lost or frustrated. They're not like modern Ubisoft or Sony games, that mark everything on the map and tell you how many collectibles or quests in a region are left, that shout out the solution to a puzzle or encounter right away because they are so afraid players will get annoyed at the game and stop playing. Being annoyed and trying to figure out how to conquer the thing that annoys you is a huge thing in these games.

I don't know, to me a gamer who truly appreciates the art and craft of game development should be appreciative of how well put together the FromSoft Souls game, the open world Zelda games, or the utter masterpiece that is RDR2, are. Yes, they have their design elements that are controversial, and yes there are some players who can't handle any inconvenience working on ludicrous mods or cheats that add difficulty levels or better controls or unbreakable weapons or what not, but that's very much not the point, and against the entire design philosophy of these games.

Maybe I am rambling, but what do you think GAF? I figure if there is any one place that would understand what I am saying, it would be this one.
I think you're missing the entire point of a discussion forum, and I think your overly permissive mentality is why AAA game quality has gone off a fucking cliff. Just because you're happy as a clam to accept whatever slop is placed in front of you doesn't mean that the rest of us have to ignore shit game design when it gets trotted out for the umpteenth time.

StereoVsn

That's fine! And to be honest, I have zero issues with well stated opinions. My entire problem, as I said in the OP, is that I do not like people coming into existing discussions on games and hijacking them with tired drive bys. You want to actually explain your opinions, have at it! I appreciate that! I had some great discussions on this site with people I disagree with. But drive bys and derailing discussions? We should be better than that as a community surely?
Who are you to determine if opinions are there to derail or are dumb?

Who made you the chief to determine that Red Dead controls are amazing or that weapon durability is a great thing or that god damn Dark Souls would be destroyed if they put a pause button, and any different opinions don’t belong here.

It’s perfectly fine to have different opinions from you and you don’t get to rant that people shouldn’t be posting their opinions about games on a gaming forum.

It’s also fine to argue that indeed above is right and others are wrong, this is what the forum is for, to express our opinions. Perhaps you can go to the purple forum if you feel that there should be the one and true party line.

sigmaZ

Nah. Things need to be criticized. Developers make selfish and bad decisions all the time, even when internally concerns are voiced and ignored. They are right to be criticized. Same goes with movies. At the end of the day, these are products.
I don't know how to build a house, but if I buy a newly built house and my toilet pipes route out through my sink faucet, I would have the right to voice my objections even through I don't know the technical side of things. Likewise, if an otherwise enjoyable game has clunky controls or an annoying camera it can completed ruin the experience like ketchup on an ice cream sundae.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Yes, thank you for understanding what I meant
You are writing one thing in your post, and then, in the reply, claiming to imply something else.

Your post is literally you making a hyperbolic whine about other people making hyperbolic whines. On a forum that is all about open discussion. As long as the internet exists, there will be idiots who shitpost. There will be one-liner hot-takes and zero-effort cannon fodder comments. It is just as easy to ignore them.

No one in their right mind makes a serious post saying FromSoft or Zelda games are terrible. Anyone saying that is obviously trolling. And i say this as a filthy casual who can't handle difficult games and has hence never played a FromSoft game. No point in making a bad faith rant about a few loud idiots and asking people on the forum to silence themselves. There is plenty of serious discussion to be found if you look for it.

Last edited:
OP, say you play RDR 2 in a vacuum. Nobody told you it was masterpiece. You didn’t saw youtube videos of its attention to detail.

You simply started playing it, played for 20 hrs, of which 15 were spent on horse which feels ok. 1 hrs was spent shooting, which feels bad. Rest of the time you were watching cutscenes or checking map etc.

Only thing great about it was scenery and few lines on banter between characters.

What will you deduce about the game and will you keep playing it??

In other words can you yourself deduce if a game is masterpiece?

thief183

I agree with you OP, I also hope that devs will keep on doing whatever they want without listening to those "critics".

Sakura

That's fine! And to be honest, I have zero issues with well stated opinions. My entire problem, as I said in the OP, is that I do not like people coming into existing discussions on games and hijacking them with tired drive bys. You want to actually explain your opinions, have at it! I appreciate that! I had some great discussions on this site with people I disagree with. But drive bys and derailing discussions? We should be better than that as a community surely?
Your OP reads more like you specifically don't like people complaining about things that developers did intentionally, in terms of game design (you even bold that part).
In any case, I don't think someone needs to write a 700 word explanation every time they express their displeasure with Zelda's durability system or RDR2's controls. That's kind of ridiculous. What even needs to be explained in those cases? It's quite easy to surmise why someone might not like weapon durability.

Neolombax

It is a gaming forum, so its sort of expected to have differing opinions around here. What I like about GAF is most thoughts are expressed unfiltered. I've been bashed and ridiculed for liking Concord, but I choose to engage in the discourse anyway. It's not in any way perfect the discussions around here, they sometimes devolve into petty squabbles, but I like the mess sometimes. There are very good members here which offer strong counter arguments and views, which I appreciate a lot.

anthony2690

I do think some people straight up don't enjoy gaming and just enjoy being angry/upset about things in games they probably have no interest in, in the first place, or just jump on a hate bandwagon because their fave youtuber has. 🤷‍♂️

Not saying this is the case for everyone, as I'm sure many people have games they like with sections that does frustrate them, or could be better, or games they've been genuinely looking forward too, they've dropped the money and have sadly been left disappointed.

I do find a lot of the hate you read online towards games is usually fairly trivial though.

I think it would be cooler if people focused and talked about things they liked rather the things they didn't though, but negativity gets more clicks.

soulbait

So what you are saying is, if I dislike the slow ass animations in Red Dead or do not like how weapons are handled in the latest Zelda games, I should just play through them anyways and not say anything? I am just to bend over and accept whatever they give, whether or not I enjoy it?

What kind of bull shit is this?

Even if a mechanic in a game is a key to that game, I am still allowed to not like it, discuss how I do not like it, and mention how I would have enjoyed the game a lot more if it was not like that. I have attempted to play Red Dead multiple times, before getting frustrated with all the slow slog it has due to it attempting to be "realistic" versus a "game". It just is not for me. Similarly, I prefer the older styles of Zelda games versus the new ones, which is why i did not buy Tears of the Kingdom.

As a consumer of these products, there is nothing wrong for me to share my opinion on why or why not I enjoyed a game. This is such an odd post, with the OP sounding like he is superior to others due to liking it all. Go touch grass dude, this comes off as if you take video games way too seriously.

Elfstar

What about letting people discuss videogames in the videogame-discussing forum and shut the fuck up if you can't handle it? Jesus.

rkofan87

Gold Member
My favorite trend in the last decade has been armchair developers crying and bitching about gameplay and design decisions in some of the best received and loved games of all time, and claiming they could do better without some very integral things that make those games exactly what they are. We have multiple examples of this kind of decision, of course. We have people who bitch about the deliberate controls and cinematic stylings of Red Dead Redemption 2. We have people who bitch about weapon durability in Breath of the Wild. We have people who bitch about difficulty levels in the Dark Souls games (plus Elden Ring, Sekiro, Bloodborne).

Those last two are especially prevalent everywhere. It's impossible to talk about Elden Ring or Zelda without some "ackchually" keyboard warrior coming in to hijack the discussion and tell us about why the games are terrible because they lack difficulty options or because they have weapon durability, both of those decisions ones very deliberately made by the developers to make the games they wanted to make.

These games are ones that thrive on friction for the player. They're not meant to be polished to the extent that they tell the player everything and are afraid of the player ever feeling lost or frustrated. They're not like modern Ubisoft or Sony games, that mark everything on the map and tell you how many collectibles or quests in a region are left, that shout out the solution to a puzzle or encounter right away because they are so afraid players will get annoyed at the game and stop playing. Being annoyed and trying to figure out how to conquer the thing that annoys you is a huge thing in these games.

I don't know, to me a gamer who truly appreciates the art and craft of game development should be appreciative of how well put together the FromSoft Souls game, the open world Zelda games, or the utter masterpiece that is RDR2, are. Yes, they have their design elements that are controversial, and yes there are some players who can't handle any inconvenience working on ludicrous mods or cheats that add difficulty levels or better controls or unbreakable weapons or what not, but that's very much not the point, and against the entire design philosophy of these games.

Maybe I am rambling, but what do you think GAF? I figure if there is any one place that would understand what I am saying, it would be this one.
wrong place my man era is that way.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I always like it when someone says "quit your bitching".

Way to be stuck up. God forbid someone has a problem with something.

I guess we are all supposed to be a captive audience with no say so over what we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom