• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People with jobs, I have a question

Mondai

How usually are you supposed a raise at your job? Yearly? Every few years? I've always wondered how it would work in a normal system.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You should normally get a piss poor cost of living raise of like 3% per year. The rest is based on performance, company success etc.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Public sector
Cost of living each year, then an entitlement based on years served. For example after 2yrs it may be an extra 2k, after 5yrs an extra 5k (with a cap on the range)

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends on the company.

I had a 5% raise last year and a 7% one this year.

ShadowLag

For private companies, it's entirely up to your employer. If it's a corporate job, you'll probably see something once a year, with the amount based on your "performance" that they'll purposely evaluate as worse than it actually is. For smaller places like family owned business, they won't give you a raise until you threaten to quit.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
You should ask for a raise every year! Even prepare to argue on a high level to ensure you get it.

Every year you don't get a raise is a lost year. You can't afford to lose money!

BossLackey

Gold Member
3% annual raise is fairly standard in the US. But it's HIIIIIGHLY dependent on the industry, size of the company, how the company did, your personal contributions, office politics, etc.

I recently negotiated a sizable raise because the company would be screwed if I got hit by a bus (or, ya know, left for another company).

So it also depends on how much leverage you have.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I get a yearly raise because of CAO in healthcare.
Then again, i hard handed a raise for this year and i was the only one on the department to actually get one. Guess being a hardliner in evaluations pays off, especially when you don't do this throughout the rest of the year.

Mikado

So this is largely Industry Dependent, but for a number of sectors the correct answer is : quit and accept a new position somewhere else that pays more than the previous one.

To elaborate: Your company already retains your services for whatever they are paying you - probably roughly corresponding to your Market Value at the time that you signed up. They could dribble out a bit more cOsT oF LiViNg in the form of some single-digit % increase every couple of years but that's just a token and in general will never even match inflation, much less the current market value, much less getting ahead of it.

Meanwhile their competitor does not have access to your services as all and are operating at the current Market Value. In my experience, every meaningful raise (like in the 20-30% range) comes from quitting and taking a new job somewhere else, doing literally the same job.

diffusionx

Gold Member
cost of living increases are pretty common, although they're usually in the 2%-3% raise, even though we have experienced 5-10% inflation the past few years (thanks Biden). But other than that, you either get promoted, ask for a raise (and often have to justify it, and that doesn't work every year), or, the most common method, find a new job. You can sometimes take your job offer back to your old company and see if they will match, but it depends.

YCoCg

Don't let StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige see this, he'll just tell you to keep your mouth shut, work hard, and hopefully your boss will notice how good you are and decide to give you a raise from the kindness of their heart.

Quasicat

Public sector
Cost of living each year, then an entitlement based on years served. For example after 2yrs it may be an extra 2k, after 5yrs an extra 5k (with a cap on the range)
This is the ideal example, but my school district gave us a three year pay freeze in 2008 and we just received an email that it will be happening again when contract negotiations open up in the spring. We saw so many teachers leave the first time, I’m expecting it again. It’s like rats fleeing a sinking ship. You know you probably should too, but you keep thinking about the students you’ll be leaving behind.

LordOfChaos

We get a yearly cost of living increase, that barely keeps up with inflation, in the worst of the last few years my place doubled it to two a year which was decent. But in terms of big jump up raises, you have to ask for them and sometimes higher positions usually.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Should be annually but I've worked in the non-profit sector for most of my career and have been fucked by pay-freezes at a couple of previous employers. I've never worked any job where I get a bonus.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The wording in the topic reminded me of this:
59oekr.jpg

Laieon

Yearly, but I'm a teacher and the step increases might as well be non-existent. They're only something like $200 a year (or a dollar a day).

I'm not posting the pay scale for the district I work for (even if its public information), but this is essentially the same: https://www.saisd.net/upload/page/0754/TEACHER PAY SCALE 22-23_FINAL.pdf

What other industry that pushes for a master's degree has less than a 10k salary difference from its entry level employees and those that have been there for 30+ years?

This is the ideal example, but my school district gave us a three year pay freeze in 2008 and we just received an email that it will be happening again when contract negotiations open up in the spring. We saw so many teachers leave the first time, I’m expecting it again. It’s like rats fleeing a sinking ship. You know you probably should too, but you keep thinking about the students you’ll be leaving behind.

I'm planning on this being my last year. I want out.

Meanwhile their competitor does not have access to your services as all and are operating at the current Market Value. In my experience, every meaningful raise (like in the 20-30% range) comes from quitting and taking a new job somewhere else, doing literally the same job.

This is so far from how pay in public education works that I legitimately have a hard time processing that this is the reality for some people.

Last edited:

Mr1999

How usually are you supposed a raise at your job? Yearly? Every few years? I've always wondered how it would work in a normal system.
It really depends where you work. Ive seen some employers have yearly reviews but they come up with excuses as to why you are not getting a raise or you get a 50 cent raise. Sometimes you work at a place where they never have reviews and you are stuck at whatever you were making, at that point you start looking somewhere else and sadly that's what it takes sometimes for them to offer more.

Usually if you get promoted to a higher position you get more, but then again I've worked at some places where people who were promoted didn't even get a raise, these are places you want to stay away from. Usually employers that have their shit together have a process in place where everyone is happy, but again harder to get into. Started @ 16 when I got into my trade and am making a little over $30 hour now, but that took numerous jobs to get to.

I knew this one guy who would just jump from 1 employer to another and make more and more with little to show for it, in comparison Ive seen people who don't know what they are worth and undersell themselves, you should never do this, once they got you started with a low wage chances are its a dead end job. Even if you are worth it and ask $5 more, they won't give it, they will instead find someone who knows less than you and pay him more, its strange but it happens a lot. Knew 1 guy who was asking for $2 more, so lets say around $25 an hour right, they refused to give him that $2 and he went somewhere else, they hired someone with less skill and gave this person more which didn't make any sense to anyone.

Guessing they have more to give for new hires vs people who already work there, budgeting wise.

Tams

It really depends where you work. Ive seen some employers have yearly reviews but they come up with excuses as to why you are not getting a raise or you get a 50 cent raise. Sometimes you work at a place where they never have reviews and you are stuck at whatever you were making, at that point you start looking somewhere else and sadly that's what it takes sometimes for them to offer more.

Usually if you get promoted to a higher position you get more, but then again I've worked at some places where people who were promoted didn't even get a raise, these are places you want to stay away from. Usually employers that have their shit together have a process in place where everyone is happy, but again harder to get into. Started @ 16 when I got into my trade and am making a little over $30 hour now, but that took numerous jobs to get to.

I knew this one guy who would just jump from 1 employer to another and make more and more with little to show for it, in comparison Ive seen people who don't know what they are worth and undersell themselves, you should never do this, once they got you started with a low wage chances are its a dead end job. Even if you are worth it and ask $5 more, they won't give it, they will instead find someone who knows less than you and pay him more, its strange but it happens a lot. Knew 1 guy who was asking for $2 more, so lets say around $25 an hour right, they refused to give him that $2 and he went somewhere else, they hired someone with less skill and gave this person more which didn't make any sense to anyone.

Guessing they have more to give for new hires vs people who already work there, budgeting wise.

I think it's that they just don't give a shit other than having a bum on the seat.

So they probably thought they could keep his salary lower and he'd stay. When he didn't, well they'd already lost him and for them it was probably easier to just higher someone new at a higher salary and put it down to the 'cost of business'.

MastAndo

Worked for the same company for the past 21 years. I've gotten two pretty big raises over the years ($15-20K increase) after demanding them based on the work I was doing vs what I was making, but otherwise, it's a 2-3% raise every year, and a $3-5K bonus. I could be making more elsewhere, but it's a pretty cushy job and I work fully remotely, so I can't complain too much about anything.

tkscz

Company I work at does yearly raises based on merit. That said they made a big fuck up this year so I'll still get a raise but won't be based on anything

Rockondevil

I usually get a 2-3%ish rise a year for cost of living, which definitely doesn't cover the increase in cost of living.

Otherwise unless you get a promotion nothing changes.

Mikado

This is so far from how pay in public education works that I legitimately have a hard time processing that this is the reality for some people.

Believe me, I get it - my parents were both teachers... and there is a reason that I am not.

Anything remotely government-connected is not-at-all how I described it.

Private sector and Tech tho...

Laieon

Believe me, I get it - my parents were both teachers... and there is a reason that I am not.

Anything remotely government-connected is not-at-all how I described it.

Private sector and Tech tho...

My great grandpa, aunt, mom, sister, and I are/were all teachers. Its a bit too late to break the chain myself, but if I ever have kids I'll strongly discourage them from continuing it.

I get rise every year after the year interview (like ranking system of accomplishments)

All companies I have worked used similar system. But I get a lot more money when I switch jobs 😂

Trogdor1123

Ive been in periods where wages was frozen and thus zero but usually around 2-3% cola and then 5% performance. The biggest raises are when you move jobs and get promoted (obviously). I won’t change jobs for less than 15% more (unless I really want out).

Top Bottom