• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

cj_iwakura

Better with brown hair. :( Ah well, I might find a better character from that collection.

I think it's too awesome a moment to spoil, anyway.

cj_iwakura said:
They're from EP, and that character isn't in EP. Well, not with that expression anyway.

Nice find, still.

Wait, there's definitely IS images there. I'll see what I can find.
(Major spoilers at that link, people.)

Which I just said essentially..
The picture you want is NOT in THERE. There may be things there you like. I can probably rip that portrait but now I don't want to.

Ainaurdur said:
I keep telling myself: Don't click the spoiler pic. Don't click the spoiler pic.

The anticipation for this game grows. :)

It's so out of context. If you've never played the game you'll have no idea wtf is going on. Not like I'm encouraging you to click the link. Just an FYI.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
Amazon estimates my copy to arrive the 23rd.

Well ok then. :(

I got mine overnighted and it's already been charged XD;

So hopefully Wednesday, if not tomorrow :3

Perfect timing, since I just finished Disgaea 4 last night XD

Volcynika

Akselziys said:
I got mine overnighted and it's already been charged XD;

So hopefully Wednesday, if not tomorrow :3

Perfect timing, since I just finished Disgaea 4 last night XD

I had free two day shipping! THAT'S NOT TWO DAY.

Also I've already been charged and it's in shipping soon mode. So their approximate must be a lie!

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Volcynika said:
I had free two day shipping! THAT'S NOT TWO DAY.

Also I've already been charged and it's in shipping soon mode. So their approximate must be a lie!

Well, I didn't use Amazon this time around cuz I had a giftcard from GameStop that I used instead XD;

Just ordered a new 16GB memory stick for my PSP so I can get the PSN version of this, want to be able to play it on Vita too whenever I get one. I've been in this limbo for PSP purchases lately because I've wanted the download versions for Vita play, but haven't wanted to buy a new memory stick because it won't be usable on Vita. But can't wait to play this one.

Hobbun said:
Wow, the reviews are from bad, to at best, average.

I am at work, so I can’t open the links, but why are they giving it such low scores?

They're shocked that a late 90s PS1 rpg still plays like a late 90s PS1 rpg. Shocking, no?

;p

Kazerei

Banned
Hobbun said:
Wow, the reviews are from bad, to at best, average.

I am at work, so I can’t open the links, but why are they giving it such low scores?

The reviews praise the story and characters, but complain about high encounter rate, bland visuals, and boring dungeon crawling. General consensus is that the game hasn't aged well.

Oh geeze, I forgot this was coming this month! I have to get my butt to a store and pick up this and Devil Survivor Overclock tomorrow... I've never played P2 before and I'm really looking forward to it, but I like PS1 era and earlier RPGs...

Sseklebeast said:
They're shocked that a late 90s PS1 rpg still plays like a late 90s PS1 rpg. Shocking, no?

;p
It would have been nice if Atlus had made a few adjustments to the gameplay to make it more playable by modern standards. I'm not looking forward to that encounter rate. Hopefully I can still get some enjoyment out of it. My copy should arrive on Wednesday.

Hobbun

hosannainexcelsis said:
It would have been nice if Atlus had made a few adjustments to the gameplay to make it more playable by modern standards. I'm not looking forward to that encounter rate. Hopefully I can still get some enjoyment out of it. My copy should arrive on Wednesday.

What current standards make this game less playable?

I can’t speak in regards to the graphics on how bland they are, the encounter rate, or how boring the dungeons are, but I am glad they didn’t make any changes to the gameplay.

To be honest, with the changes I’ve seen in the battle system in most current RPGs is what has turned me off from them. A lot of them now think they have to have a mixture of real-time/fast paced combat. No thanks.

There’s nothing wrong with a good turn-based RPG.

tokkun

Sseklebeast said:

;p

The game is being released at full price on PSP, not as a museum piece. It deserves to be evaluated by modern standards.

Hobbun said:
What current standards make this game less playable?

I can’t speak in regards to the graphics on how bland they are, the encounter rate, or how boring the dungeons are, but I am glad they didn’t make any changes to the gameplay.

To be honest, with the changes I’ve seen in the battle system in most current RPGs is what has turned me off from them. A lot of them now think they have to have a mixture of real-time/fast paced combat. No thanks.

There’s nothing wrong with a good turn-based RPG.

Every one of those outlets quoted above scored Persona 4 as a 9/10 or higher, so I don't think you can dismiss the scores as being wholly due to a turn-based battle system.

Hobbun said:
Completely agree. Give me the Final Fantasy VIII or X battle system any day. I'm enjoying Xenoblade's complex MMO-like battle system, however, for what it's worth.

PSP charged up, firmware updated, and ready to download from the PSN tomorrow!

Hobbun

tokkun said:
Every one of those outlets quoted above scored Persona 4 as a 9/10 or higher, so I don't think you can dismiss the scores as being wholly due to a turn-based battle system.

You’re right, I shouldn’t, as I fully don’t know how combat works in Persona 2 with the exception that it is turn-based.

Sorry, I just have heard the “The game didn’t age well because it still uses the archaic turn-based system. They need to update it to something faster” and it just tiring.

So what are the reviews saying is outdated in regards to the gameplay?

Sqorgar

Banned
tokkun said:
The game is being released at full price on PSP, not as a museum piece. It deserves to be evaluated by modern standards.
If they released the original on the PSOne, I'd still easily pay $40 for it. Considerably more, in fact. How many years has it taken us to get the complete Persona 2? $40 is a steal. By modern standards, the fact that we are getting this game in English at all is a miracle.

Hobbun said:
You’re right, I shouldn’t, as I fully don’t know how combat works in Persona 2 with the exception that it is turn-based.

Sorry, I just have heard the “The game didn’t age well because it still uses the archaic turn-based system. They need to update it to something faster” and it just tiring.

So what are the reviews saying is outdated in regards to the gameplay?

RPGamer:
The graphics are a larger hurdle. Character sprites are small and smudgy, spell effects are unimpressive, and most dungeons are bland.On a related topic, the dungeon design itself is basic. Several mazes feature annoying gimmicks that are either poorly explained or repetitive padding. Most are warrens of identical chambers and hallways. The onscreen minimap and easily accessible full map stop the dungeons from being truly dreadful. Instead, they're merely boring.

RPGfan:
It's 2011, however, and things like incredibly high random encounter rates, labyrinthine dungeons with few clues on where to go, and the necessity to grind – and not just for experience points – are incredibly frustrating. This is a Persona title, however, and Atlus has never been known for making poor games. Much was ahead of its time in Innocent Sin, so there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for those who can stomach its anachronistic elements.

Innocent Sin's core gameplay also suffers because it adheres to some of the RPG standbys of times gone by. The game's turn-based combat system is fairly straightforward and includes expected features like elemental weaknesses and combo attacks. The encounter rate is incredibly high, and combined with the labyrinthine dungeons and sometimes unclear directives, finding your way around can be lengthy and frustrating. This isn't the level of Phantasy Star II we're talking about, though, especially considering that the game features an auto-battle system that works. Instead of simply defaulting your characters to autoattacks, the auto-battle repeats previous commands, making it so you can grind easily. As well, characters' SP regenerates as you walk around dungeons, so you'll never get caught almost dead with no mana in the middle of the dungeon, but the grinding's still not something that's friendly for today. Some dungeons are particularly frustrating – like the shelter under one of the high schools – which requires literally walking in circles to complete. All this is exacerbated by the frustrating analog controls and minimap – it's very easy to get disoriented due to the quick movement of the characters and environmental hazards like traps.

Gamesradar:
Unfortunately, the story and characters are where part of the enjoyment stops. Innocent Sin can be a tease at times because while it contains plenty of concepts that pioneered the RPG genre, many of the battle mechanics are now archaic. As a full-priced game released today, it's fair to expect that the developers would tweak these poorly-aged parts. Yet not only is the random encounter rate absurdly high, the turn-based battles play out sluggishly. Shin Megami Tensei standbys like elemental weakness are still there and auto-battle will be your friend, even if battles still take a while with this feature. Regrettably, auto-battle doesn't extend to demon negotiation and making pacts is important to victory.

Between the longwinded battles, the random encounters barely letting you breathe, long load times, and repeated negotiation, adventuring will drag. It doesn't help that dungeons are completely labyrinthine with dead ends, branching pathways, and traps galore. They become extremely difficult to navigate, and it's equally frustrating when the minimap doesn't do much to help. In fact, there was one dungeon with no correct path; the point was to make you go in circles a few times before triggering a cutscene. It's that old-school and cruel.

Some of the complaints are totally valid (battles can be slow, but there is a speed up function), but docking the game points for having ugly, boring dungeons is silly, seeing as how that's a staple for Persona games.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm torn whether to buy it now or wait for a price drop. :/

Most of the reviews praise the story, characters and setting, and let's face it: That's pretty much what the Persona series sells itself on.

(Also you can cast Estoma to lower the encounter rate)

cj_iwakura

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed by you or by our customer service department.

Your estimated delivery date is:
September 21, 2011

:D

Gaspode_T

I got this for like $10 used in Japan :p

My enjoyment of the game was basically like a 10/10 until I got all party members and started getting into lots of random encounters, now I am having a bit of a hard time losing patience with the battles because I can't seem to figure out tricks for making the negotiation thing go smoothly. Can anyone give a quick non-spoiler dummy guide for how to negotiate with the monsters? Or do I really have to look up FAQs or something for each one?

Gaspode_T said:
I got this for like $10 used in Japan :p

My enjoyment of the game was basically like a 10/10 until I got all party members and started getting into lots of random encounters, now I am having a bit of a hard time losing patience with the battles because I can't seem to figure out tricks for making the negotiation thing go smoothly. Can anyone give a quick non-spoiler dummy guide for how to negotiate with the monsters? Or do I really have to look up FAQs or something for each one?

Each creature in the game belongs to a racial group. For example, Little Boy Demons behave very differently than Holy Goddesses right? Well you need to think and experiment and actually try to relate to these creatures properly. Will a Little Boy Demon be interested in make up tips? Probably not... but the Goddess might...

Contacting demons obviously makes them feel something. Green is HAPPY, Yellow is INTEREST, Blue is FEAR, Red is ANGER. Notice the color similarities and how they relate to the persona series in general. If you push a demon in a certain direction they will behave accordingly. If you REALLY get under their skin, answer two questions in a row properly... something else may happen...

Yeah, contacting is complicated. Try doing it in Japanese with a websters kanji dictionary and a middleschool grasp of japanese and you know what I went through years ago. Not to mention demon types speak differently too. The first time I ran into a lunatic type demon I was stumped.

when rpgfan thinks a game has high encounter rate, you might want to be wary.

Sigh. I want to check this out, but I don't think I can tolerate high random encounter these days.

chickdigger802 said:
when rpgfan thinks a game has high encounter rate, you might want to be wary.

Sigh. I want to check this out, but I don't think I can tolerate high random encounter these days.

The encounter rate is manageable if you encounter demons that are contactable, you may also utilize the estoma spell to avoid lower level demons.

These reviews are insulting and uninformed and undeserved of being so critical. These reviewers probably played the damn game for 20 minutes and shit out their reviews and got on with their day.

cj_iwakura

That makes two reviewers who loved the original and hated on the remake, I believe.

Funny about that. Well, not the same reviewer, but still. There's something of a double standard here.

cj_iwakura said:
That makes two reviewers who loved the original and hated on the remake, I believe.

Funny about that. Well, not the same reviewer, but still. There's something of a double standard here.

It's not the same reviewer for RPGFan.

cj_iwakura said:
No, but all the criticisms being leveled at the game are because it's 'dated'. If it wasn't broke, why should they fix it?

idk. Why must all strategy games be remade as fps these days?

There are questions that have no answers son.

cj_iwakura said:
No, but all the criticisms being leveled at the game are because it's 'dated'. If it wasn't broke, why should they fix it?
I haven't played Persona 2 yet, so I can't speak to the validity of these particular criticisms. But I do believe there are games which were good and innovative for their time but have not held up well and are nearly unplayable today, such as Phantasy Star II.

cj_iwakura

hosannainexcelsis said:
I haven't played Persona 2 yet, so I can't speak to the validity of these particular criticisms. But I do believe there are games which were good and innovative for their time but have not held up well and are nearly unplayable today, such as Phantasy Star II.

Because PSII really is, mostly due to the mind-numbing dungeon design.

Persona 2 isn't nearly as bad. Even the original had an automap.

tokkun

cj_iwakura said:

Tastes and expectations change? Standards increase? Exceptional elements that may have caused reviewers to overlook flaws back then may no longer be novel?

I mean, what's your alternate theory? That they're lying? That they hate RPGs?

I'm sure you can think of games from 10-15 years ago that you liked at the time but wouldn't accept as a full price product today.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So it seems like the game didn't really age well... But I'm guessing it aged "slightly better" than Persona 1.

Teknoman

I'm sure it aged alot better than Persona 1, especially since the battle system is more along the lines of what you'd expect from Megaten games today, minus the press turn system.

Installing now (got UMD version) and man that is one beautiful title screen. Looks like the original CG/anime intro is still in too.

Whats funny is Persona 1 PSP got editors choice at RPGfan.

EDIT: Any word on whether a first playthrough should be on hard mode?

...heh starts with the strangeness immediately. Thats what I like about this series.

Cheska

Is Gamestop supposed to have this game in tomorrow or Wed? I don't remember receiving a call from Ashley about picking up my game. Unless the calls were forgoed in favor of the ultra steroided Gears of War 3.

Top Bottom