• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

Yama

Looks at 14 tree stumps in my back yard used to print the Oracle of Maya while just a kid trudging through the Japanese version of this game...

... I approve of this thread.

Eusis

Aeana said:
Loading times are kinda long.
Is it longer than on PS1? Kinda curious given that the rationale for not including the original soundtrack with P1 was due to load times, so I wonder if P2 was programmed in a way where that wasn't as much of an issue, or if they just went "to hell with it, more is better!" and allowed longer load times for having both soundtracks. Well, and the fact you can install the game helps a lot undoubtedly.

Eusis said:
Is it longer than on PS1? Kinda curious given that the rationale for not including the original soundtrack with P1 was due to load times, so I wonder if P2 was programmed in a way where that wasn't as much of an issue, or if they just went "to hell with it, more is better!" and allowed longer load times for having both soundtracks. Well, and the fact you can install the game helps a lot undoubtedly.

Nope. Loading takes about five second going from one room to the next. I've installed the game.

The joke in the teacher's lounge with the names and such is brilliantly subtle in this translation.
^_^

Switching between remix and ost is faster than I thought as well.

That minimap is bringing back my OCD. :D

I've cleared my other games, which I've pretty much beaten except for the last boss (Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky and Final Fantasy IV) so I could play this at launch. Can't wait! the hype is high for me on this game and I hope I won't be let down because I have never played it before. Hopefully I'll get it in the mail on Fri.

Absolutely adored P3 & 4 but hated 1 on PSP and thought it aged poorly. How does this game fare to 1 on PSP? Has it aged well?

Skilletor

If I disliked the social/school day stuff of Persona 3 but thought the battle system was decent, will I like this game?

I really, really, really, really didn't like Persona 3 because of the school stuff. Not my bag.

Ok, so uh.

Yeah I've never played a Persona game.

After you're done throwing chairs at me, is this a good one to start with? From what I've read on GAF, I'm trying to decide whether to get this or wait for 4 on Vita.

graywolf323

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Ok, so uh.

Yeah I've never played a Persona game.

After you're done throwing chairs at me, is this a good one to start with? From what I've read on GAF, I'm trying to decide whether to get this or wait for 4 on Vita.

that's a toughie, Persona 1 should probably be played first because it'd be the hardest one to go back and play after playing any of the games that came after it

Skilletor said:
If I disliked the social/school day stuff of Persona 3 but thought the battle system was decent, will I like this game?

I really, really, really, really didn't like Persona 3 because of the school stuff. Not my bag.

there are no social links in P2. watch a vid and see if you like the battles. i think it's the best persona game with the best story and characters. you can choose between old and new soundtracks for this game, at all times.

there is new content and you can speed up battles now for this remake.

Skilletor said:

You don't have to worry about social links or school days or trying to schmooze up to someone. You do have to think about what to say to demons to get the responses you desire. But it's not nearly as time wasting/consuming as the social calendar for P3/4. Once you know what a demon wants to hear usually the outcome is always the same.

Cheska

Skilletor said:

Well apparently this game doesn't have any social links, so if werent fond of them in the later titles, than this may be more your cup of tea.

Edit: beaten :p

Tamanon

Banned
Woo! Picked it up at lunch. Firing it up finally, after so many years of waiting after Eternal Punishment was my favorite game for so long......

cj_iwakura

tokkun said:
Tastes and expectations change? Standards increase? Exceptional elements that may have caused reviewers to overlook flaws back then may no longer be novel?

I mean, what's your alternate theory? That they're lying? That they hate RPGs?

I'm sure you can think of games from 10-15 years ago that you liked at the time but wouldn't accept as a full price product today.

That depends. Lunar: The Silver Star was made in 1993. I just replayed it this week, and I still love it.

The aging of a classic is up to the beholder.

cj_iwakura

KibblesBits said:
I know this is RPG common sense but... talk to everyone in every place, every time a major event happens in the game.

No joke. Innocent Sin is an OCD dialogue collector's nightmare. So much dialogue after every event.

atomsk

Party Pooper
amazon still telling me

Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate: September 28, 2011 - October 1, 2011

wondering what the holdup is

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lesiroth said:
This is going to hurt me very badly ;_;

IIRC there isn't anything important in the extra dialogs with a few exceptions that flesh out the story.

Unless Atlus is going to punk those of us that played the fantranslation two years ago.

Skilletor

KibblesBits said:
You don't have to worry about social links or school days or trying to schmooze up to someone. You do have to think about what to say to demons to get the responses you desire. But it's not nearly as time wasting/consuming as the social calendar for P3/4. Once you know what a demon wants to hear usually the outcome is always the same.

Thanks. I shall try it out. DL it for impending vita release.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I really want this but can't justify it after picking up the Digital Devil Sagas and Nocturne this week. Soon, though. Soon!

Vally

Teknoman said:
I cant see anyone saying anything bad about the remixed OST.

Indeed, the original music was already pretty good and I'm surprised at how faithful the remixed OST is to the original.

I just listened to "Title", which I assume is the main menu music, and I love it. That one is a brand-new track, right? I don't remember that music being in the original version.

Teknoman

Mutagenic said:
I really want this but can't justify it after picking up the Digital Devil Sagas and Nocturne this week. Soon, though. Soon!

Yeah you dont want to get Megaten burnout. Always good to mix things up abit.

TimeKillr

Aaack. Took forever to download off PSN on my Go, now it's installing and taking another half hour.... I can wait, I can wait, I can wait, I can wait.... :)

Ainaurdur

Mutagenic said:
Oddly enough just having ordered P2:IS today, and obviously have not played it yet, I am already considering grabbing SMT:Nocturne as well.

And for the OCD dialogue warnings. I look forward to the challenge. Always have to talk to everyone in just about any RPG I play. :)

TheSeks said:
IIRC there isn't anything important in the extra dialogs with a few exceptions that flesh out the story.

Unless Atlus is going to punk those of us that played the fantranslation two years ago.

NO.

You can lose a contact command or two if you don't do as I advised.

>:)

MechaX

Man, this game sure picked a fantastic time to come out. Next week is Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection and the week after is Dark Souls. Doesn't help that I essentially sunk 30 hours into the fan-translation already, even more since I felt the actual battle system was the most boring part of IS.

If I were smart, I'd go out today and pick this up. But I have a feeling it would be like Persona 1 PSP, where I'd start a game and find out "this isn't the Persona game I expected." But the collector in me knows I should have a copy in my possession. I'm so torn.

Teknoman

DidntKnowJack said:
If I were smart, I'd go out today and pick this up. But I have a feeling it would be like Persona 1 PSP, where I'd start a game and find out "this isn't the Persona game I expected." But the collector in me knows I should have a copy in my possession. I'm so torn.

The battle graphics, soundtrack, Persona summoning methods, battle system, and overworld navigation are much improved over Persona 1. Watch some PSP videos if you're still on the fence.

matmanx1

This is bringing back good memories already. I played probably 8 hours of the fan translation a few years ago when I had my CFW PSP 2000 but never got around to finishing it because I was juggling so many games.

I'm thrilled to see Atlus bring this over properly to the US and I love the slick new movie sequences and the remixed OST. I have a special place in my heart for the first couple of Persona games as they really ignited my love for the funky turn based rpg that only Japan can deliver.

Picked mine up today at lunch and played up until you get Michel just to get a feel for the new version. I like most of the changes with the exception of the load times feeling just a hair too long off of the UMD. A digital version would probably be just about perfect but I'm not going to quibble because I'm just happy to finally have Persona 2: Innocent Sin sitting in my PSP.

Gaspode_T

KibblesBits said:
Each creature in the game belongs to a racial group. For example, Little Boy Demons behave very differently than Holy Goddesses right? Well you need to think and experiment and actually try to relate to these creatures properly. Will a Little Boy Demon be interested in make up tips? Probably not... but the Goddess might...

Contacting demons obviously makes them feel something. Green is HAPPY, Yellow is INTEREST, Blue is FEAR, Red is ANGER. Notice the color similarities and how they relate to the persona series in general. If you push a demon in a certain direction they will behave accordingly. If you REALLY get under their skin, answer two questions in a row properly... something else may happen...

Yeah, contacting is complicated. Try doing it in Japanese with a websters kanji dictionary and a middleschool grasp of japanese and you know what I went through years ago. Not to mention demon types speak differently too. The first time I ran into a lunatic type demon I was stumped.

Thanks!!! That already helped a little, the little demons with pitchforks came out...I decided to pick boyish girl and "talk with your fist" and they were like "yes ma'am give me more!!" which kind of clicked to me. I can't seem to figure out WTF the L1 ghosts want and actually I'm still not sure what making the contract even does, does it mean you get to go hire them in the club or something? I didn't go into that club place yet but I heard someone talking about it (in the game) as being the place to go for persona training or something like that

I almost wish this was an action game like the SNES Shadowrun engine. That would be so epic. The character art and music is my favorite part so far, and anything isometric gets my love.

P.S. Mucho respect for trying to play this in Japanese!! It would probably be one of the hardest games to play. I've been speaking Japanese since 1997 so I guess the language is okay for me but I can totally see how some cultural norms or expectations would cause issues with this game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KibblesBits said:
NO.

You can lose a contact command or two if you don't do as I advised.

>:)

Really? Outside of...
Jun and Tatsuya flirting
(real spoiler, guys) I don't recall anything else like that.

cj_iwakura

matmanx1 said:
Isn't the opening cinematic completely new?

Yes, but I mean for the major in-game events, like

the last battalion's march.

TheSeks said:
Really? Outside of...
Jun and Tatsuya flirting

Sometimes in-game events give characters new contacts, like Ulala learning the flamenco in EP and changing relationships and such.

TheSeks said:
Really? Outside of...
Jun and Tatsuya flirting

Off the top of my head:
Talking to Yukino in one of the rooms in Zodiac will give her a contact combo with Tatsuya; talking to Jun and Eikichi later in the game will get you a contact combo between the three of them
. I can't remember any others right now.

Top Bottom