• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Pappasman

Hazmat said:
You won't be able to start it until you've maxed out charm (and I think she's unavailable until after a story event). For a male MC playthrough, at least.
Ok, so I'll work on charm. Thanks.

DR2K

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Eat a dick straight up.

Will do. ^_^

Brobzoid said:
omgomgomg download started. "177 minutes left" :( although it's counting rather fast, so hopefully it won't take that long...

It's a lot faster if you download it from Mediago.

Grabbed my copy on my way home from work, given that I'm still in the middle of Strange Journey and Dragon Quest IX is coming out this Sunday, I probably won't be playing this for a while. Grabbed it out of fear of the limited print run, and I know I'll be wanting to play this when I have the time. I'll likely be causing this thread to rise from its grave a few months down the road.

Shinjitsu

Banned
I love games with newgame+, I feel no stress about making a stupid mistake or anything when I'm playing. So refreshing playing a JRPG without having to check a guide to make sure I'm not missing anything super important.

My only complaint is not being able to tap the L&R buttons at the same time to center the camera.=P

Yaweee said:
So, more testing with the Data Install.

Reinstalled. Loaded up my game. Put it to sleep, woke it up, let it sit for 5~10 minutes. Started playing again, and as soon as it had to load something (moving to a new screen), it would start reading from the UMD and the same old error message.

tl;dr, sleep mode basically disables the Data Install for the UMD version of the game, forcing you to go back to the options to turn it back on every single time you use the sleep function on the PSP. As far as I can tell, this is an infinitely repeatable bug that's happened in both Tartarus and around town. Unfortunately, you don't always have access to the menu (during long cutscenes or fights).

Has anybody else tested this?

I'm on a 2000 model PSP.

EDIT: People on Gamefaqs have found this to be the case as well. If I had known, I would have gotten the PSN version instead. =(

Would Gamestop accept a return on it if there's a bug like this?

I received a data install error last night too. What's crazy is that I'm playing with the PSN version. I'll pay attention if it happens again and I'll post my circumstances too.

Shinjitsu

Banned
After playing Strange Journey I expected this to be a bit harder, starting to think I should have put this on hard to start with.

mileS

The original Persona 3 intro is in the game if you don't press anything after the first one plays. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ok, ninety minutes in. just beat the tutorial dungeon in which I got to actually control my character on-screen.

Good fun so far, although the radio-play cut scenes were a bit of a bother when there are so many front-loaded. I didn't play the first persona 3 so I dunno how this compares in pacing.

edit: are anyone having any issues with the text sometimes scrolling absurd-fast? There have been a couple of instances where I pressed X to advance the text and it seemed to advance three lines as fast as it could, but then later it did it again even though I didn't press a button to advance the text. The second time it only advanced one additional box of text though so I dunno if that's a bug or what.

hamchan

5 hours in and this game is the best thing I've played on PSP.

Back in 2008 I made a wish for a PSP2 that could play all my ripped PS2 games, similar to how the PSP can play PS1 games, just so I can play portable Persona. So I'm really happy this game exists.

Shinjitsu said:
After playing Strange Journey I expected this to be a bit harder, starting to think I should have put this on hard to start with.
The thing that made the original difficult was the lack of control over your party members. For iffy situations, the AI just worked against you at times.

There were (are?) a few particularly challenging floor bosses, but I imagine most are not the challenge they were.

Strange Journey should be the more difficult game anyway though.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The sleep mode/data install problem: isn't this basically what Peace Walker has as well, but instead it prompts you to re-enable the data install when you wake it from sleep mode? Sounds like P3P is lacking the prompt...

joelseph

What is with the small icon next to highlighted words in the text? Was that in the PS2 versions? Also the way some letters fade into the next text box is strange.

hamchan

joelseph said:
What is with the small icon next to highlighted words in the text? Was that in the PS2 versions? Also the way some letters fade into the next text box is strange.

The item icon?

Yaweee

Dedication Through Light said:
Goes the game timer increment when you put it on sleep mode? After playing Persona 1 PSP, I always just save and exit the game completely, well to the title screen

No, it doesn't. I checked.

joelseph said:

The icon is a journal next to keywords when the first appear, indicating that the term has been added to the in-game glossary.

And, yes, the text fade-in is weird, but much faster than any of the other Persona games.

Brobzoid said:
edit: are anyone having any issues with the text sometimes scrolling absurd-fast? There have been a couple of instances where I pressed X to advance the text and it seemed to advance three lines as fast as it could, but then later it did it again even though I didn't press a button to advance the text. The second time it only advanced one additional box of text though so I dunno if that's a bug or what.

One button press = one full page of text. The PS2 games required one press to get the text to appear fully, and another to advance to the next page. That is not the case here, so if you are used to the console Persona games, you may inadvertently skip text.

Also, Triangle is still the FF button, but it is WAY faster than P3/4.

Diseased Yak said:
The sleep mode/data install problem: isn't this basically what Peace Walker has as well, but instead it prompts you to re-enable the data install when you wake it from sleep mode? Sounds like P3P is lacking the prompt...

Sounds like one of the firmware updates causes sleep mode to disable data install access. Peace Walker undoubtedly has the better approach (and something I wish would be fixed in P3P)

Shinjitsu said:

Even with the crappy AI, P3 was likely one of the easiest SMT games to make to the US. Hard mode didn't change enough, and it doesn't seem like Maniac added enough either (by my understanding, it actually removes some of the difficulty changes that were in the FES Hard mode?)

unavailable until after a story event). For a male MC playthrough, at least.

I got it yesterday and I'm loving it all over again. I took well over a year to beat FES, so even though I finished it in March I haven't played the early parts in a long time. I'm curious how much of the dialogue is different when you play as a girl. I feel like Junpei is hitting on me, but I'm not sure. :lol[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it feels like the majority of both Junpei's and Yukari's lines have been changed, at least those directed at the MShe, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Nothing out of the ordinary from Akutsuki, Akihiko, or Mitsuru, and I can't imagine much changing for

In addition to the new S. Links, I'm under the impression that many of the S. Links (all of the former girlfriends that are still for the MShe, and all of the guyfriends becoming boyfriends?).

I do have to say that the post battle screens look off without the previous level of animation. I'll get used to it i'm sure, just initially disorienting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
God damn this is like the perfect portable game. Looks so stunning on my Go, and I actually approve of the cuts made to 3D town/school exploration(so much faster than on PS2).

Playing as a chick for the new-ish content and just smitten all over again.

Absolutely loving this so far. And I'm really happy with the Persona 4-like changes they made to the battle system. The biggie being able to control all the party members. I played P4 before playing P3 on the PS2 and had a hard time adapting to the fact that I couldn't control them all. So happy they changed that.

This is an outstanding port. I just wish they had included more extras in this package. Not having a soundtrack is kind of a bummer.

Curufinwe

Dedication Through Light said:
Goes the game timer increment when you put it on sleep mode? After playing Persona 1 PSP, I always just save and exit the game completely, well to the title screen

It sucks how I have no idea how long I played Persona 1 because the timer kept going when the PSP was in sleep mode.

hamchan

This game has a 94 metascore and is currently the highest scoring PSP game, with the next highest being God of War: COO at 91. I really hope it stays at the top like this, it deserves all the attention it can get.

After 9 hours with the game I would have to give it a 10/10 too, this really is a prime example of how to do a port.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I think I'm ready for my vacation.
I've got P1, P2 IS, P2 EP, and P3P all loaded on my memory stick!

Though I'll probably be focused on finishing Strange Journey and DQ9 instead! But I'm prepared!

Mejilan said:
Well, I think I'm ready for my vacation.
I've got P1, P2 IS, P2 EP, and P3P all loaded on my memory stick!

Though I'll probably be focused on finishing Strange Journey and DQ9 instead! But I'm prepared!

Sounds like a long-ass vacation.

Played for about 2 hours last night. I love how they overhauled the 'fatigue' system. Also, I like the streamlining of the navigation during the day. I don't miss running through the halls getting lost.

LiK

my preorder just arrived from Amazon. it came in a big box but the preorder cap is missing. anyone else got fucked over? i'm gonna try to see if i can get a replacement without doing a full replacement.

edit: gonna do a return/replacement. easier that way.

Yaweee

Whoompthereitis said:
Sounds like a long-ass vacation.

Played for about 2 hours last night. I love how they overhauled the 'fatigue' system. Also, I like the streamlining of the navigation during the day. I don't miss running through the halls getting lost.

The fatigue system is likely my biggest complaint. It needed to be more restrictive, not less. That, combined with the virtually free healing cost in the lobby (way cheaper than any other SMT, it seems like), there's not really any tension or feeling of time constraints.

Diseased Yak said:

If you have CFW, just install the whole game's ISO to your Memory Stick.

Brobzoid

I AM JOHN! said:
Honestly with the way they overhauled it, I don't get why they even kept the fatigue system.
I'm playing on easy so feel free to disregard my very existence, but the fatigue system is more about preparing proper for dungeon crawls by napping in class or whatevz to get that 'great' condition (that seemingly lasts sessions).

Kinda funny, I get the voice overs telling me we should pull out and that everyone is tired, but when I go to the status screen they's all smileyfaced.

Barrett2

Just got to the first part where i was allowed to freely explore the dungeon. I went up a few flights of stairs, but then wasn't sure how to exit. I thought there was supposed to be a green colored well, or something? I couldn't find it, so I used an item to exit. How am i supposed to leave the dungeon?

Peff

lawblob said:
Just got to the first part where i was allowed to freely explore the dungeon. I went up a few flights of stairs, but then wasn't sure how to exit. I thought there was supposed to be a green colored well, or something? I couldn't find it, so I used an item to exit. How am i supposed to leave the dungeon?

The dungeon is generated randomly, so sometimes the floor won't have a teleport point, but when they do it'll be marked in the map as a little square (you have to find it first though). Some of the floors are not random, and those have a permanent teleport point which you can use to start from there next time you go to Tartarus. The first one of these is Floor 5

Yaweee

lawblob said:

There are little green domes on most floors that are one-way exits, and two-way checkpoints on boss floors that warp you to the lobby, and back.

Brobzoid

lawblob said:
There are nodes on the various floors in the form of those green wells, and then sometimes you'll come across a larger, different looking well. But they aren't on every floor, I've found, so you have to either use one or commit to potentially going two or three floors further to the next one.

Too slow, like Junpei at mid terms. :(

Brobzoid said:
I'm playing on easy so feel free to disregard my very existence, but the fatigue system is more about preparing proper for dungeon crawls by napping in class or whatevz to get that 'great' condition (that seemingly lasts sessions).

Kinda funny, I get the voice overs telling me we should pull out and that everyone is tired, but when I go to the status screen they's all smileyfaced.
Yeah, I got the voice overs from Stupei & Yuka-tan telling how they were tired; but their status said they were normal.

I was also surprised to he able to climb 14 floors on my very first run in Tartarus. I know that either of PS2 versions would never let me do that on any night other than the night before the full moon.

As others have said, I'm loving this portable remake. So Atlus, get cracking P4P, mmmkay?

Tamanon

Banned
Brobzoid said:

It's because now, you don't get tired until you leave the dungeon. So the next day you're tired and can't go back.

Brobzoid

Tamanon said:
It's because now, you don't get tired until you leave the dungeon. So the next day you're tired and can't go back.
can you mitigate that by sleeping in class? Also, there are way too many school activities and whatnot for me to go into the dungeon every night. I'd be letting someone down. ;_;

Yaweee

Brobzoid said:
can you mitigate that by sleeping in class? Also, there are way too many school activities and whatnot for me to go into the dungeon every night. I'd be letting someone down. ;_;

Yes, I think you can, but why would you? There's nothing at all preventing you from doing Tartarus in a single night each month, and the S. Links and social stats encourage you to do so.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, there's no reason why you shouldn't just grind the tower to the top floor of each block every time you go in. It's made even easier since it's so cheap to refill your SP.

Meanwhile, curiosity got the better of me and I cheated my way through Akihiko's s-link with the FeMC. God, girls in Japan are apparently such bitches. :lol

And while I'm sort of okay with the Atlus dubs... I really can't deal with Valley Girl and New Yorker accents in the game now. Certainly P4 didn't have extremely American accents in that dub, did it?

Gattsu25

Banned
Yaweee said:
Yes, I think you can, but why would you? There's nothing at all preventing you from doing Tartarus in a single night each month, and the S. Links and social stats encourage you to do so.
Really? You can knock out an entire Tartarus section in a single game night??

Also, what is this sleep mode issue? Would that affect someone who bought the game off PSN?

Tamanon

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, there's no reason why you shouldn't just grind the tower to the top floor of each block every time you go in. It's made even easier since it's so cheap to refill your SP.

Meanwhile, curiosity got the better of me and I cheated my way through Akihiko's s-link with the FeMC. God, girls in Japan are apparently such bitches. :lol

And while I'm sort of okay with the Atlus dubs... I really can't deal with Valley Girl and New Yorker accents in the game now. Certainly P4 didn't have extremely American accents in that dub, did it?

*insert Morooka picture here*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamanon said:
*insert Morooka picture here*

Damn, I can't believe I didn't think of that. :lol

I must say though, at this point that S-link is the one I regret not being able to see with the in-engine cutscenes the most so far. They really cheaped out and didn't even draw portraits for the random characters that are in these scenes so everything is basically off screen.

Brobzoid

firehawk12 said:

I'm not very good at recognizing American dialects. Which characters have those?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brobzoid said:
I'm not very good at recognizing American dialects. Which characters have those?

Minor characters so far, but
the woman at the Takoyaki shop and one of the girls who tease Fuuka

I also forgot that I didn't really much care for some of the voices in the game in the first place, but I forgave it for the most part. After P4 though, some of the actors in P3 sound like they're not even trying.

Yaweee

Gattsu25 said:
Really? You can knock out an entire Tartarus section in a single game night??

Yes. In the original releases of P3, how many fights it would take for you to get tired would increase as you gained levels, so the second half of the game it was pretty straightforward to do it in one night(or maybe 2, if you were doing the quests). Healing was free whenever you returned the lobby. In P4, there wasn't any tired system, but healing yourself in the dungeons was really goddamn expensive.

P3P has neither restriction; it's like they misplaced a decimal point by one or two places compared to how much healing costs in P4, or even Trish's Fountain in P2.

Your teammates do still get if you exit a floor with them dead. They return to the lobby, but will be tired if you bring them back into your active party. This actually caused me to bail once on Maniacs, as they got one-shotted by a Beetle, and were thus unable to survive even a single hit from the F10 hand bosses (The penalty for being tired is double damage, and some reduced damage dealth, I think).

I can't find any information whether other status ailments increase damage received like they did in FES' hard mode, or if the only real difference is the % damage increase like it was in P4.

Gattsu25 said:
Also, what is this sleep mode issue? Would that affect someone who bought the game off PSN?

Apparently it is a known issue with most PSP games that use optional data installs. When you go into sleep mode, it will fail to access the data install, and instead use the UMD to load everything until you enable it again in the config menu.

If you have the PSN verison, you aren't using the data install function or have a disk for it to fall back on, so there is no issue. I really, really wish I had bought the PSN version

Brobzoid

only one that's bothering me is the Chairman in charge of SEES. He sounds like he's proof-reading. All of the characters in my posse are good I think, Junpei is especially great. Such a step up from Yosuke from P4 as a character too. Still no Chie equivalent in the game though. :(

Top Bottom