• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

Volcynika

Yaweee said:
Why is that not cool?

Yeah, that comment doesn't make much sense to me either. It makes it consistent between games and easier for people that have played multiple games to go "oh, I know what type of attack that is."

:?

notworksafe

Big B said:
Looking at some gameplay videos and realized that spell names are same across SMT?? not cool since I'm going through devil summoner.
I know what you mean! I am playing through both FF12 and 13 at the same time! They share spell names too! That's some utter bullshit!

Pappasman

This could quite possibly be my favorite battle music I have ever heard in an RPG.

Also the mall's music is really good too.

Big B

Volcynika said:
Yeah, that comment doesn't make much sense to me either. It makes it consistent between games and easier for people that have played multiple games to go "oh, I know what type of attack that is."

:?

I guess, it's just Same Name Fatigue. Imagine if you played 4 FF games and then within a year you play another one where not only the monsters are similar but items are too. Just a bit tiring I suppose.

Yaweee

Big B said:
I guess, it's just Same Name Fatigue. Imagine if you played 4 FF games and then within a year you play another one where not only the monsters are similar but items are too. Just a bit tiring I suppose.

I guess I can understand that. The SMT franchise has a bit of a problem with reusing content from game to game, and it diminishes the "discovery" aspect of learning new game mechanics and strategies.

I pretty much know going into any SMT game that spells with *hama* or *mudo* in them are going to be vastly overpowered.

mollipen

Big B said:

What fatigues me is playing an RPG that has a completely new system for spell naming and trying to remember it all. If a developer is going to feel the need to have wacky names for their spells, I'd prefer them to then keep those names standardized across the series.

Unless your series name is "Shin Megami Tensei" or "Phantasy Star", asking me to care enough to remember whatever silly naming scheme you've come up with is really pushing it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pappasman said:
This could quite possibly be my favorite battle music I have ever heard in an RPG.

Also the mall's music is really good too.
Wait till you hear the final boss battle theme. :eek:

notworksafe

shidoshi said:
What fatigues me is playing an RPG that has a completely new system for spell naming and trying to remember it all. If a developer is going to feel the need to have wacky names for their spells, I'd prefer them to then keep those names standardized across the series.

Unless your series name is "Shin Megami Tensei" or "Phantasy Star", asking me to care enough to remember whatever silly naming scheme you've come up with is really pushing it.
Truth.

tokkun

Is it just me, or does the dialog sound more compressed compared to the PS2 version? The music sounds fine, but the speech seems to have a noticeable high-pass filter :/

That aside, I'm surprised to be enjoying the game as much as I am, given that I did two complete playthroughs on the PS2. So far it's interesting to see the little ways people treat you differently when you are playing as a girl.

shahkur

Alright, finally download from US PSN for $43.53. Bullshit tax. I've bought quite a few games from the UK PSN in the past without any tax. But oh well. Not had a chance to play it yet. Question: The woman that sings the new songs in this. Is she the P4 woman or P3 woman?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
P3P is my first time playing Persona 3. I know that the game is missing the animated cut scenes from the console version, and the way you travel around/interact in the non-dungeon portions of the game is different, but is that all?

What are the differences between P3P and Persona 3/FES? Someone said that although P3P doesn't have the extra epilogue story from FES, it has the dungeon. Is that true?

This is also the first J-RPG I've had any interest in (and actually like) in years.

Lyte Edge said:
P3P is my first time playing Persona 3. I know that the game is missing the animated cut scenes from the console version, and the way you travel around/interact in the non-dungeon portions of the game is different, but is that all?

What are the differences between P3P and Persona 3/FES? Someone said that although P3P doesn't have the extra epilogue story from FES, it has the dungeon. Is that true?

This is also the first J-RPG I've had any interest in (and actually like) in years.

I believe the info you want is in the OP.

My copy arrived this morning! I'm about 4 hours in and loving it tons.

I'm actually a fan of keeping the 3 physical types but not letting the MC equip every weapon because it makes fusing physical offensive personas important for once. I like the skill card addition a lot as well - anything that makes the fusing process more interesting.

Had to go to a different GS as the one I usually go to didn't get their shipment yet, but it is mine!

AND even better, got a number of a guy workin there :D

EB Games just called, my copy is in. Cool. I had so little sleep last night- all I wanna do is crawl in bed with the PSP and play this until I pass out.

darkjedi187 said:
any pointers for a first time persona player.
-It may seem like a great idea to flip your Persona for better ones by fusing, but hold onto them for a little bit, because higher levels mean more skills... and better skills that can be passed on to the fused Persona.
-Game Panic breaks the game. Feel free to abuse it if you have nothing better to do.
-Any time you're sick or tired, go bro out with Edogawa in the Nurse's Office at Gekkokan. Free courage boost!
-Hama and Mudo will smoke your ass in one hit. You might wanna watch out for that.
-
Max out charm first if you're playing as a guy so you can get with Yukari, better known as the obvious love interest that the game expects you to get with.

darkjedi187 said:

Make sure you have some free time. These games are LOOOONG.

EDIT: Also, you can't 'mash' through battles like most JRPGS. They system is pretty simple, but it does matter which attacks/skills you use. You will die if you just try to hit x repeatedly, at least on normal.

darkjedi187 said:
The combat is all about exploiting the enemies' weaknesses, so analyze everything and keep a stable of personas on you that have a wide variety of types of attacks. Likewise keep in mind what your personas are weak and strong against and be ready to fuse a persona that is specifically strong to specific things for some of the later boss battles.

The goal of most battles is to knock down every enemy by exploiting their weakness and then having your party do an all-out attack. Progressing through the dungeons efficiently means balancing how much SP you use knocking guys down per fight but still winning quickly without taking too much damage. Remember that every night you spend in Tartarus is a night you could be spending doing night social links or studying so try to get through as much as you can in one night. Every full moon there is a major event that has a boss fight and unlocks a new section of the dungeon.

For the non-combat stuff, just use each block of time efficiently. Popularity leads to intimacy.

Love the pointers...keep 'em coming!

I played P3:FES on PS2 for 15 hours or so, but I never felt like I was 'doing it right'.

Pappasman

Aquavelvaman said:
Also be sure to set the tactics of all your party members to direct command or else the AI will have them do everything.
I made sure to do that as soon as I could. I played about 2 hours of FES before making the decision to wait for P3P because it had direct control of all party members.

Yaweee

Princess Skittles said:
What's a good time frame for how long this game is for normal play, not OCD play?
Probably 50~60 hours due to all of the speed improvements. The PS2 versions were around 70~90 for most people. I think I recall somebody playing the JP version finishing it on Beginner mode in around ~15, when fast-forwarding through most of the cutscenes.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Yaweee said:
Probably 50~60 hours due to all of the speed improvements. The PS2 versions were around 70~90 for most people. I think I recall somebody playing the JP version finishing it on Beginner mode in around ~15, when fast-forwarding through most of the cutscenes.
Hmm, not sure if want.

Princess Skittles said:
Hmm, not sure if want.

The structure of the game is such that you can put it down for a month or two and pick up right where you left off. It's not like some RPGs where you boot it up after a sabattical and find yourself on some world map with no recollection of where you are or how you got there. The game is very linear in story progression, which helps a ton.

Finally got my copy. Was even able to talk the clerk into giving me one of the pre-order bonus caps.

Anyway, I've yet to start the game because I'm still undecided whether to go with the original male character or the new female. I was going to pick the girl just because it's new and different, but I don't relish the idea of going on dates with guys. I know, weird.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Whoompthereitis said:
The structure of the game is such that you can put it down for a month or two and pick up right where you left off. It's not like some RPGs where you boot it up after a sabattical and find yourself on some world map with no recollection of where you are or how you got there. The game is very linear in story progression, which helps a ton.
Well, that's a little reassuring. :)

Plus it's got rogue-style dungeons, yes? And a female protagonist? Pulling me.. back.. in..

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Whoompthereitis said:

This really does seem to be one of those rare RPGs that actually appeals to a non-RPG fan like myself.

Alright, so I am coming from having played P4 and I am a little confused on the game structure. So in P4 there was a time limit for each dungeon, is there a similar thing in P3 for each "block"?

Also, in P4 is was very clear that when you hung out to do an S Link, you were giving up a day in the dungeon. In P3 does S Link stuff have a detrimental effect before going into the Tartarus. Like do you get more tired or anything like that?

mauaus

shahkur said:
Alright, finally download from US PSN for $43.53. Bullshit tax. I've bought quite a few games from the UK PSN in the past without any tax. But oh well. Not had a chance to play it yet. Question: The woman that sings the new songs in this. Is she the P4 woman or P3 woman?
Should have changed your us address to somewhere that charges no tax for online transactions, like FL (I think)

Peff

darkressurection said:
Alright, so I am coming from having played P4 and I am a little confused on the game structure. So in P4 there was a time limit for each dungeon, is there a similar thing in P3 for each "block"?

Also, in P4 is was very clear that when you hung out to do an S Link, you were giving up a day in the dungeon. In P3 does S Link stuff have a detrimental effect before going into the Tartarus. Like do you get more tired or anything like that?

I don't think there are actually time limits, but it's best to reach the limit of each block in the Tartarus before the next Full Moon, because that day a story event takes place and if you can't advance in Tartarus it usually means you can do it with relative ease.

In Persona 3 you don't really sacrifice Social Links if you go to the dungeon, but getting tired affects a lot of stuff. You might perform worse on the activities or exams, you can't fight well... so you have to decide when you go carefully. More often than not you can soldier through the first few days after each Full Moon to get to the top of the next block, but for some Social Links you have to go to Tartarus at night to avoid getting a telephone call for example.

Peff said:
I don't think there are actually time limits, but it's best to reach the limit of each block in the Tartarus before the next Full Moon, because that day a story event takes place and if you can't advance in Tartarus it usually means you can do it with relative ease.

In Persona 3 you don't really sacrifice Social Links if you go to the dungeon, but getting tired affects a lot of stuff. You might perform worse on the activities or exams, you can't fight well... so you have to decide when you go carefully. More often than not you can soldier through the first few days after each Full Moon to get to the top of the next block, but for some Social Links you have to go to Tartarus at night to avoid getting a telephone call for example.
Thanks for the explanation. Thankfully I got to the top of Block 1 with like 5 days before the first full moon.

Just picked up my copy at Gamestop. Prordered on Monday, so no hat for me.

Which is fine- probably would have just thrown it out anyway.

My first contact with Persona games, what difficulty should I start with? (haven't played SMT games at all except for the latest DS one)

Uncle AJ

DSC00487.jpg

Melhisedek said:
My first contact with Persona games, what difficulty should I start with? (haven't played SMT games at all except for the latest DS one)

I did Normal. Though it doesnt really spell out what will get carried over in future playthroughs. The ones underneath normal seem way too easy (restarts, really?), lol.

demonkaze

Loving this game all over again, almost up to the first full moon now. I love the additions made to Tartarus, it helps so much to be able to save before a boss now. Also noticed theres an accessory that can revive you from Hama or Mudo, were these in the original/Fes?

Top Bottom