• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable |OT|: Mixing Things Up for Third Trimester

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dedication Through Light said:
I did Normal. Though it doesnt really spell out what will get carried over in future playthroughs. The ones underneath normal seem way too easy (restarts, really?), lol.

I play with those simply because I know there's a chance of being instant-killed... and since I'm not anal enough to skip out of each floor to save, I'd rather not lose progress.

Of course, the argument would be "just fuse a persona with null everything and you'll be fine". Easier said than done. :lol

elbkhm

Picked this up last night off the PSN and played for a couple hours. I played through the original release of the game, but never did go back through it with the additions that FES made (although I did play through The Answer). Started a new game on the Maniacs difficulty setting... so far it's not too bad, but I haven't really gotten into the core dungeon crawling yet, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I won't be forced to restart on an easier setting :lol

Yaweee

Gamestop actually had a copy for non-preorders. With the current trade-in deal, going on, two of the games I traded in gave me almost exactly what I originally paid for them.

Impressed so far. Videos made it seem like text worked the same as previous persona games with it slowly appearing and the text button just speeding it up to all appear, and a second press necessary to advance. But this actually works like most of the other SMT games, with one button press advancing right to the next box of text. This probably makes me sound like a finicky bitch, but it was always a pet peeve of mine. Glad they fixed it.

It's also nice not to have 3 second load times whenever I access a menu! I'm also a fan of the extra voice overs they've put in place of some of the animations (Yukari describing more about the island, for example).

Alex

Really well remixed game, suits the platform perfectly. Nice bits of polish and evolution on lots of things too, just a much leaner game overall without sacrificing anything of hefty merit.

Like the female character too, never really cared for how the boy looked. Her new music tracks are also pretty ace.

Overall thus far it's a better verion of a great dungeon crawler, easy time sink for me! Would love to see it done for Persona 4 too.

Been playing for a few hours now. Seeing as I've beat FES twice before on Normal, I decided to choose Hard this time. Up to when you can freely go to Tartarus whenever you want.

Excellent port. Loving all the little P4 additions like fast travel and team control. Loving all the new music on the girl's side, too.

This game. <3

Yaweee

A few seconds after coming out of sleep mode, I got an error message saying data loading from the install failed, and that I wouldn't try to load from the install again? Do I need to reinstall, or does saving and resetting fix it?

I'm still not sure whether to play as the male or female character. Is the game significantly different with the female? (Keep in mind I never played a ton of the original game, maybe ten hours.)

mileS

dumb question but I'm guessing the only time its useful to sleep in class is when you're tired during the day? or is it better to just always stay awake?

demonkaze

Yaweee said:
A few seconds after coming out of sleep mode, I got an error message saying data loading from the install failed, and that I wouldn't try to load from the install again? Do I need to reinstall, or does saving and resetting fix it?

Go into the Config and you can enable it again.

Tamanon

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
I'm still not sure whether to play as the male or female character. Is the game significantly different with the female? (Keep in mind I never played a ton of the original game, maybe ten hours.)

My understanding is that the overarching storyline is the same, almost all the Social Links are different as the female.

Yaweee

Okay, accessing the Data Install failed again just after coming out of sleep mode. It looks like this is a big problem =(

Should have bought the PSN version.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mileS said:
dumb question but I'm guessing the only time its useful to sleep in class is when you're tired during the day? or is it better to just always stay awake?

If you're trying to do Max S-links the first time around, you should always stay awake to improve your Academics stat.

(Or learning strength, which I think is a neat way to put it)

StuBurns

Banned
Played and loved Nocturne a couple of years ago, might have been the best RPG last gen, but hadn't tried a Persona, have been waiting for something portable because I hear the series is very easily digestible in bit size chunks, so I thought it'd be fun to grab a little session every now and then as appose to committing large chunks of days to the game.

I played about three or four hours today, and it is just dripping with charm, it's very personable, and the cyclical structure is strangely hypnotic. Of course I'm not far enough to have really had an experience with the depth of the combat system, but other than that, so far, I'm very impressed with the game, as I expected to be. As much as GAF might condemn my opinion, the PSP has been pretty bad software wise, especially in terms of RPGs, to me at least. This is currently the highest rated PSP game on Metacritic, I think so far, it looks to be worthy of that.

kswiston

I would totally buy this game if I actually had 70 hours to replay Persona 3. Interested in the female scenario... Maybe when it goes on sale/drops in price.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yaweee said:
Okay, accessing the Data Install failed again just after coming out of sleep mode. It looks like this is a big problem =(

Should have bought the PSN version.

Are you trying to install the game and then put the PSP to sleep while it runs?
If so, try installing the game without sleeping the PSP.

So far only a couple hours in and this game oozes character. Absolutely love it. First time Persona player. Anyone know of a way to get the hat if you didn't preorder it?

Yaweee

Mejilan said:
Are you trying to install the game and then put the PSP to sleep while it runs?
If so, try installing the game without sleeping the PSP.

No, I did the install in full. Then, later, while playing, if I put the game to sleep, it will give an error next time it tries to grab data that was installed to the memory stick.

Mejilan

OOooh. That is a doozy!
That seems a bit odd.
Did you try clearing the installed data and trying to reinstall?
Maybe something got borked?

Delio

You know what i find lovely right now? Being able to grind the current little section i am in within one night leaving the rest for social stuff.

batbeg

I know it may sound stupid, but I only ever played like the first 2 hours of FES. I feel like there's a presentation downgrade here with less of the cutscenes and whatnot - would they hamper the experience of playing it at all if I really enjoyed that aspect?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
batbeg said:
I know it may sound stupid, but I only ever played like the first 2 hours of FES. I feel like there's a presentation downgrade here with less of the cutscenes and whatnot - would they hamper the experience of playing it at all if I really enjoyed that aspect?

In many ways this is made for people who played the original, so it's very streamlined. I think a lot of the scenes do lose some of their effect because all you have are a few portraits and the voice acting to go by... if that's important to you, it might be worth going through the original game instead.

george_us

Curufinwe said:
I should have paid for shipping from Amazon for once.

Delivery estimate:July 13, 2010 - July 17, 2010
Amazon Prime is really worth its weight in gold. Release Date Shipping is free with Prime if I remember correctly and one-day shipping is only $5.

Alright, whoever changed the thread title (and I know you're reading this), change it back. Even if we ignore that the new way of noting official threads is shitty and stupid and unnecessary, the thread was named this way for a reason, as it's following in the last two Persona 3 threads. You just ruined the reference, jerk.

Mejilan

george_us said:
Amazon Prime is really worth its weight in gold. Release Date Shipping is free with Prime if I remember correctly and one-day shipping is only $5.

Yep, very true. Release date delivery is free for applicable games only, though. Not nearly all release even get a release date delivery option. That said, the two day delivery is ALWAYS free for games. One day delivery is only $3.99, for those same games where release date delivery isn't available.

Good deal, IMHO.

In my experience, non-Prime free shipping can anywhere from 5-9 days to the order. Sucks.

batbeg said:

I feel the same way. I played through a good chunk of the original game and I'm still having a hard time following some of the "cut scenes", I feel like I have to remember how the original scenes played out in order to keep up. I'm still in the very beginning though, so I'm not sure if it's going to be too much of a factor later on.

Yaweee

So, more testing with the Data Install.

Reinstalled. Loaded up my game. Put it to sleep, woke it up, let it sit for 5~10 minutes. Started playing again, and as soon as it had to load something (moving to a new screen), it would start reading from the UMD and the same old error message.

tl;dr, sleep mode basically disables the Data Install for the UMD version of the game, forcing you to go back to the options to turn it back on every single time you use the sleep function on the PSP. As far as I can tell, this is an infinitely repeatable bug that's happened in both Tartarus and around town. Unfortunately, you don't always have access to the menu (during long cutscenes or fights).

Has anybody else tested this?

I'm on a 2000 model PSP.

EDIT: People on Gamefaqs have found this to be the case as well. If I had known, I would have gotten the PSN version instead. =(

Would Gamestop accept a return on it if there's a bug like this?

Curufinwe said:
I should have paid for shipping from Amazon for once.

Delivery estimate:July 13, 2010 - July 17, 2010

I preordered P3P with free shipping; game shipped out yesterday and arrived here this afternoon. This is an unusual situation, of course.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Fuck, do I have to break out my PSP for this? I liked but could not bring myself to finish SMT: Strange Journey or Devil Survivor. Is this better than those 2? Completely different?

Yaweee

commish said:
Fuck, do I have to break out my PSP for this? I liked but could not bring myself to finish SMT: Strange Journey or Devil Survivor. Is this better than those 2? Completely different?

Completely different.

DR2K

Banned
commish said:

Different and leagues better.

Yaweee said:
So, more testing with the Data Install.

Reinstalled. Loaded up my game. Put it to sleep, woke it up, let it sit for 5~10 minutes. Started playing again, and as soon as it had to load something (moving to a new screen), it would start reading from the UMD and the same old error message.

tl;dr, sleep mode basically disables the Data Install for the UMD version of the game, forcing you to go back to the options to turn it back on every single time you use the sleep function on the PSP. As far as I can tell, this is an infinitely repeatable bug that's happened in both Tartarus and around town. Unfortunately, you don't always have access to the menu (during long cutscenes or fights).

Has anybody else tested this?

I'm on a 2000 model PSP.

I enabled data stall at the title screen in game options. I havent put it to sleep.

hamchan

commish said:

Yes you do! It's completely different to the games you mentioned.

This game and Persona 4 got me into the whole SMT series and actually renewed my interest in JRPGs.

Also playing as a girl is awesome. Akihiko here I come!!

Jerk

Banned
I just arrived home to the pleasant surprise of this game waiting for me.

I am currently playing Maniac mode with a female and I really like it so far.

I just hope there are not any nasty surprises that make me regret choosing those...

One thing that I do not like is that both the VA and the dialogue have been huge steps down from P4, a shame really...

DR2K said:

k3epe.gif

Gotta love Persona 3 and 4 threads.

Progressed a bit, definitely wishing I had started on Hard instead. Would have if not for the Compendium increase :(.

So is there a list of who i can romance as a guy/girl.

Also, Is there a general number you persona experts recommend i focus the social links on rater than spreading my efforts across as many students as possible?

DR2K said:
Eat a dick straight up.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Also, Is there a general number you persona experts recommend i focus the social links on rater than spreading my efforts across as many students as possible?
When I played through the guy campaign in FES last year, I had no trouble maxing out almost all the links I started (I ended with around five incomplete). There are certain Persona you get from the links that people really like and will suggest you get to make the game easier, but I don't think it matters. Just follow the stories you like and the characters that interest you (or the link you really want to level up).

Hazmat

Pappasman said:
Anything important I should known if I'm going to max out Yukari's S.Link?

You won't be able to start it until you've maxed out charm (and I think she's unavailable until after a story event). For a male MC playthrough, at least.

I got it yesterday and I'm loving it all over again. I took well over a year to beat FES, so even though I finished it in March I haven't played the early parts in a long time. I'm curious how much of the dialogue is different when you play as a girl. I feel like Junpei is hitting on me, but I'm not sure. :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
omgomgomg download started. "177 minutes left" :( although it's counting rather fast, so hopefully it won't take that long...

Top Bottom