• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena |EU OT| Heartbeat, Heartbreak

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yu's knockdown oki is... the reason I play Yu.

Here's an oldie but a goodie:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/164867
With the upcoming release of the game, I feel some people might be on the fence with picking up P4A.

Here are a list of reasons you should play Persona 4 Arena.

It's reasonably balanced.
Persona 4 Arena exhibits I think, the first time in any (first new) Arc Systems release where every character is viable competitively. Straight up. Every character is currently represented in SBO, the worst two characters can win tournaments independent of those flukes.

It's easy to pick up.
Persona 4 Arena has some of the simplest input mechanics of any fighting game released in recent memory. Try not to take this as dumbed down, there are hard combos, there's things that require tight execution to nail. Much of the input difficulty comes from heat of the moment stuff. However, to simply put the game in and enjoy yourself and start to learn matchups, the input system is accommodating towards simply playing the game and not sitting in training mode learning a 40 second long combo.

It's complex for all the right reasons.
All of the system mechanics are useful. None of them are overpowering. Mastering the system and your character is important.

It doesn't pull any punches.
This game has REAL anti-airs, unlike Blazblue. If you jump and mess up, you are going to eat real damage. Getting cornered and knocked down means something, so much that people sacrifice their life bar to tech out of the corner in Yu combos. There's high mobility. The the only comeback mechanic requires you to actually start winning to use it properly. Not only that, there's a high amount of counter-play where a good player can deny a worse player the ability to even let the comeback mechanic activate at all. There's actually a lot of interesting things that go on with awakening mode. The damage is high and the combos are fast. This game takes a lot of the good mechanics of Guilty Gear and takes what little is good about Blazblue and splices them together with the best parts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (which in turn has roots in King of Fighers)... It's an amalgamation of what's worked well in the past with some other new stuff thrown in.

It's an Arc Systems game.
That means a training mode that's good, solid netcode and plenty of other goodies. Every Arc Systems console release has set the quality bar higher and higher, and are often the most feature complete games you can purchase.

So buy P4A and play it. It'll be good, I promise*

*(If you live in America or Japan. If you're in Europe, I'm sorry).

**(I don't work for Atlus or Arc Systems or Aksys games. I swear).

***(Buy the game).

****(Please)?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I was so hyped for this, it's a shame. I'll still probably get it, I still love Persona 4 even if the fanbase is absolutely horrible. Now, to decide to buy it used or not. I've not bought a single used game this gen, goes against my policy, but this one might just deserve it.
same

FluxWaveZ

I keep forgetting how fun to play this game is but then I start playing again and I remember. The better players don't seem to be on PSN anymore so I've taken to playing random a whole bunch, but it's still good times.

This is my favourite. I really hope you spent like ten minutes sifting through my post history to find this.

I think we all need to have a big group hug and put this ridiculous conversation behind us.
Actually it took less than two minutes, just had to google "neogaf dantis persona disappointment" or something along those lines.

But I'll leave you be. I'd probably be down on the game too if I had to wait almost a year after everyone else. So I can't blame you entirely

Omikaru

Actually it took less than two minutes, just had to google "neogaf dantis persona disappointment" or something along those lines.

But I'll leave you be. I'd probably be down on the game too if I had to wait almost a year after everyone else. So I can't blame you entirely

That is definitely a contributing factor to my disappointment. I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing still. Partly because I wanted 9 months for this. And by this, I mean the pretty disappointing story mode.

That is definitely a contributing factor to my disappointment. I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing still. Partly because I wanted 9 months for this. And by this, I mean the pretty disappointing story mode.
The story mode is kinda weak. Seeing the cast again was great but the actual story was kind of whatever. I only got the true ending for Yu and I love P4.

The core gameplay is great at least. I'm probably gonna enter CEO to play it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just purchased Persona 4 Arena so can anyone toss me the youtube of Kanji combo. I tried to find some but I kept finding advance combo videos but I would like to have basic combo for now.

oneida

Even though i've had the game for 5 months i finally went online and won 1 match.
Took me a long time to work up the guts to try online, too. Not sure why; never shied away from any other FG's online mode - I was playing vanilla SFIV online day one and I had no idea what I was doing.

PK Gaming

If the reason for that is as blatantly bullshit as "there are too few normals", then no, it's not acceptable. Get a reason that isn't obviously false and try again.

At the end of the day, it's his opinion, so why do you care? He's not trying to shove this point down our threats, we just keep attacking him whenever he mentions it.m just happy he he gave the game another chance.

Curufinwe

Maybe I should get back into the online and try to get up to Grade C. After I got to 100 ranked matches I stopped playing.

The hard Achievements for the challenges and score attack are well beyond a mediocre player like me.

oneida

The hard Achievements for the challenges and score attack are well beyond a mediocre player like me.
I think to date the only character whose challenges I've completed is Kanji. I really like challenge mode a lot, I find it oddly relaxing.

If I were to give definitive impressions on the title after three story playthroughs and an equal amount of arcade modes, I'd say that I do like the game, and it's an acceptable extension of one of my favourite games ever, but even if it was released a year ago as it should have been, it is not worth full price by any stretch.

I can definitely, now and forever, say that the fighting is infinitely more approachable than Blazblue. Blazblue felt clunky and inorganic, with very poor flow. If I wasn't playing as Arakune, there was no way I could have any fun. Persona 4 Arena is faster, actually let's you dash and pull off combos of even basic moves, nevermind the flashier ones. I still prefer Tekken and MvC, I guess, but the fighting in P4A is just fine. It has enough depth to express your own creative combos, but there is a clear rock-paper-scissors system in place too.

The amount of content in the game is unsatisfactory, however. There are very few unlockables, and the only long-term mode comes in the form of a story mode that plays like a visual novel. I've already expressed what I think of using a long visual novel to tell a story that only has one location and not much meat on its bones, but at the very least, there are still some great moments of characterisation here, which was always Persona 4's strongest point.

But I think this format of lo-fi fighting game packages needs a reinvention. In an era with Mortal Kombat, which has many modes to keep up player interest and an actual story mode, and Skullgirls, which has roughly the same amount of content but comes in downloadable form and at a far lower price tag, this sort of fighting game with sparse content, relying only on the fighting innately to maintain interest, isn't holding up to scrutiny. Remember the collective reaction to Marvel vs. Capcom 3? Or my reaction to SoulCalibur V? Fighting games, as packages, are moving in a different direction, which is absolutely a good thing.

Such as it is with Persona 4 Arena, a game I can only recommend to ardent fans of its predecessor.

Conan-san

A...are you guys fighting?

ibsYTBt5F1Cbmd.png
While the enemies of the European gamers still draw breath, there can be no peace.

Mesharey

If I want to play story mode with one character without spoiling many things about P4G, who could it be?

I'm going to get it now, I'm excited for a new fighting game. XD

If I want to play story mode with one character without spoiling many things about P4G, who could it be?

you can't play story mode on any char without spoiling anything. Its not possible.

Akihiko has so many options, if you are just mashing autocombo you are a scrub. Straight up. Atleast do his simple bnb into a reset. Shit even my yukiko combo's are basic but they aren't 5AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Atleast mine guarantee pressure oki setup. His real combos do like 5k minimum. That is more than half health on majority of the cast. Why do autocombo when it cost meter for less damage when you could do normal combo into oki/reset for the same damage and less meter used?

God I feel like another theseks is growing. I don't know if I can handle another. Soon I'll be hearing "ultimate alpha vs beta 3" again along with Juggle Tag 2 while I play Tits or Ass 5.

Basically there are only a few characters with REALLY limited options. Lab and Slab stick out. Kanji neutral game is just god awful but he can still out play other people due to his strong yomi game once he gets in. Also have a dp with guard points + paralyze is pretty fucking good.

Yukiko, Aigis, Teddie, Mitsu, Aki, Naoto, Yu, Yosuke etc etc all have many different options. Unfortunately for mitsu, yu, aigis, and chie their strongest option is just so dominant to the point that their whole gameplan is just derpy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKLJzWCoF3Y
Just watch this. Notice when this video was created and notice how Chie players STILL play the same way. Her oki game is just so dominant that its literally knockdown then guess until you get out. And funny enough, her persona oki setup covers majority of the options. You can't roll it, you can't chicken block it, you can't really blowback it etc etc. The only thing you can do is 1) dp if you have a good dp. 2) block correctly and blowback once you confirm her actual hits and not just the persona. 3) reversal invul super.

Omikaru

Impossible. You only have four characters in Story Mode at the start -- Yu, Yosuke, Chie and Yukiko -- and all of them will spoil a part of P4G's story.

My advice: just play all the modes bar Story until you've beaten P4G and, if you really want to get the full background, Persona 3 too.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Dantis is wrong on the too few moves, the characters have enough moves to get their playstyles across. The problem with the game is that outside of say Yosuke/Yukiko/Naoto the game is shallow as fuck.

Once you get to a certain level of play almost all the matches start to play out the same. If you can get the game cheap and like the universe and stuff or want a good "my first anime fighter" game it's great though.

Omikaru

The Arena DLC went live yesterday/today. Here's the pricing.

Challenge No. 30 Demonstration: Free

Colour packs (x4): £1.59 each.
Complete set: £4.79

Glasses packs (x4): £1.59 each

Navigators: all £2.39 each, but can be unlocked in-game.
Teddie, Yosuke, Mitsuru, Aigis, Fuuka, and Nanako.

Link

So £9.58 for all the DLC-only content. Or £23.92 if you're too lazy to unlock the navigators.

Disgusting. Should be free, considering the price of the game and how long we've had to wait.

Dantis

Dantis is wrong on the too few moves, the characters have enough moves to get their playstyles across. The problem with the game is that outside of say Yosuke/Yukiko/Naoto the game is shallow as fuck.

Once you get to a certain level of play almost all the matches start to play out the same. If you can get the game cheap and like the universe and stuff or want a good "my first anime fighter" game it's great though.

Honestly, I was probably wrong to say that. I played Omikaru last night, and it didn't bother nearly as much as it was doing earlier in the day. I probably just wasn't used to the systems enough.

Link

So £9.58 for all the DLC-only content. Or £23.92 if you're too lazy to unlock the navigators.

Disgusting. Should be free, considering the price of the game and how long we've had to wait.
The navigators are unlockable, but most players won't be able to unlock any outside of Teddie, so those prices are absolutely awful.

FSLink

Banned
Honestly, I was probably wrong to say that. I played Omikaru last night, and it didn't bother nearly as much as it was doing earlier in the day. I probably just wasn't used to the systems enough.

The navigators are unlockable, but most players won't be able to unlock any outside of Teddie, so those prices are absolutely awful.
Probably? You were wrong. :p
However I do agree that the game is a bit more complicated than some other games you listed because of the subsystems. I would argue BlazBlue is a bit more complicated due to every character's playstyle being vastly different where as here you could get away with AutoCombo and learning a character's anti-air moves + Persona gimmicks and get the basic idea of how they work.

And I really hate how stupid the requirements are for the navigators. I wouldn't call myself a bad player by any means, but if it means I have to exploit the AI being cheap, it's not even fun or skillful.

And @ QisTopTier, agreed. The game really could use an update (with the P1 and P2 cast? :D) to fix how shallow it is. It's a fun game but I feel like there's not much room for it to grow. When recent tourney matches don't look much different than week 2 play, there's a problem.

Link

They're up on the 360 side too. It's good to see that Friday updates are becoming a consistent occurence. No use waiting until the next Tuesday.

The prices really aren't great, though. That's consistent too, though. Only SoulCaliburV and Mortal Kombat have had reasonably priced DLC for a fighting game.

NEO0MJ

They're up on the 360 side too. It's good to see that Friday updates are becoming a consistent occurence. No use waiting until the next Tuesday.

The prices really aren't great, though. That's consistent too, though. Only SoulCaliburV and Mortal Kombat have had reasonably priced DLC for a fighting game.

There's also Playstion All-Stars.
But yeah, this is bull. Most companies would have released a GOTY edition of their game after such a period.

Can someone help me please? --

Hello guys, I just got the game for review and I have one very important question that I hope you can answer.

I've played through Persona 3 Portable already but I'm currently playing P4, I'm up to the part where
I'm rescuing Rise
, about 26-28 hours in and I DON'T want any spoilers for Persona 4. So the question is, which characters' story mode can I play that won't spoil Persona 4 for me?

I've been playing arcade skipping everything, online and challenges. Quite enjoying it for now.

Roto13

Can someone help me please? --

I've been playing arcade skipping everything, online and challenges. Quite enjoying it for now.

While it won't spoil the last boss or who the killer is, you can't avoid spoilers for Persona 4 entirely. And if you want to do a proper review, you'll have to play a decent number of the story modes anyway. You shouldn't be reviewing it if you care about spoilers for Persona 4.

They try to leave out a lot of incidental details so as not to spoil too much, but make no mistake; the ultimate end of what happens in Persona 4 is a necessity they have to give out for there to be coherence. That, and one very important plot point about four dungeons from your location in Persona 4.

While it won't spoil the last boss or who the killer is, you can't avoid spoilers for Persona 4 entirely. And if you want to do a proper review, you'll have to play a decent number of the story modes anyway. You shouldn't be reviewing it if you care about spoilers for Persona 4.

Alriiight, thank you guys. Sucks though :p I'm the most purse-owner guy in the website staff (that's not saying much though) so it was more or less unavoidable that I would review it.

I'll have to wrap P4G up before I go through the story mode then, I'll spend my time analyzing everything else in the meantime :)

PK Gaming

Ragingnight, I was wondering how exactly is S. Labrys limited? Doesn't she have her whole "my Persona/Shadow is another character" thing going on?

Top Bottom