• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Venfayth

I can't do footsies with Liz at all :( Any attempt at it usually ends with me eating a full combo. And by a full combo I mean AAAAAAAAAAAA

Really hard to deal with people who do lots of jumps/hops in my face. I need to watch some good players and see how they deal with pressure.

Xevren

I can't do footsies with Liz at all :( Any attempt at it usually ends with me eating a full combo. And by a full combo I mean AAAAAAAAAAAA

Really hard to deal with people who do lots of jumps/hops in my face. I need to watch some good players and see how they deal with pressure.

I haven't had much problems with jumpers, I abuse the hell out of 2b though and that seems to get the job done for me.

Losing to a guy who only used Yu's auto combo is agrivating as all fuck. I think I'll take a break from playing Kanji in ranked matches. Might try to get better with either Yu or Akihiko.

Omg this is the worst. I try all day learning Aigis combos and switching in and out of Orgia mode. Then I fight my brother and he auto combo spams for the win.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I can not for the life of me bob or weave or read peoples attacks to counter at all. :/

Akihiko's spacing game is played differently than everyone else imo. His 5a and 2a just don't have the reach to poke back and I almost always lose that battle if I'm not already in their kitchen. Just get a feel for the 6b (out of weave, rush, etc) and make a mental note of how quick you can get in on certain characters and what all that distance will keep you safe from as well. It gives you a solid cushion to work with before you really get into the zone where its a 50/50 read & mash fest.

I wish Labrys has another answer against that besides Chain Knuckle SB and AC.

Super jump and air dash.

Once you get in, don't leave.

Omg this is the worst. I try all day learning Aigis combos and switching in and out of Orgia mode. Then I fight my brother and he auto combo spams for the win.

Need to outpoke auto combo spammers. If he's only using auto-combo the jab on most character's isn't that long compared to to other moves. Hit him with a longer ranged move for counter hit then do whatever.

Easier said than done of course.

Sophia

I can not for the life of me bob or weave or read peoples attacks to counter at all. :/

You may wish to pick a different character to main then. The big downside to Akihiko is that you have to be damn good at reading people.

With Aigis, you need to play a defensive game and outpoke the auto combo spammers, as PoorFate mentioned above. As a general rule, if your burst knocks your opponent away and you get a chance to punish them, go into Orgia mode right away. You can probably close the gap and get a Megido Fire off on the enemy. If you get a good air combo or two off in Orgia mode, you've basically won.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You may wish to pick a different character to main then. The big downside to Akihiko is that you have to be damn good at reading people.

I haven't really needed to use the 214A/B/C/D moves. Honestly, I haven't even seen other Akihiko's using them yet. Maybe that'll change.

I still haven't seen a point to Ceaser. Seems completely useless with his D move.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finished a ~30 round set with my friend online. Game is silky smooth online for me (PS3) and him. First day playing it and I'm just going to slowly incorporate more and more into my game. I don't know about the All Out attacks and such yet, but I'll work them in with practice.

Akihiko is so pimp right now. He feels so good to play. Granted, I suck of course, but he just feels good to play and knock people around. Any tips or videos for this character I should bookmark as I get the fundamentals down?

DY_nasty

Thats not entirely true.

The best thing about Akihiko is that you can train your opponent fast and that you have more than enough lifebar to gamble when you feel like it (or wait for the best, most gaping opening). If you're not able to read people right away (and I feel like time playing the game as well as just general wisdom regarding blocking altogether contribute the most) then you're still able to make people get stupid just by setting them up for it.

Reads are important though. But it comes in time like everything else.

_woLf

I finished Yukiko's story and
the little circle on the character select screen under her name didn't turn silver with the P1 logo? it's still blank. Also, LOL @ her story. She so crazy

Speaking of Yukiko's story, is there anywhere I can get a higher rez version of this shot from her story? I want it to be the art on my fight stick. I took that shot with my phone and did some photoshop tricks to it, but it's still just not high rez enough to look decent on a fight stick. (there's a lot of jpg compression killing that image, looks better in .psd)

BlackJace

What are you doing? j.B > j.BB > (jc) j.B > j.C > 214A is the most optimal apparently. I just do j.B > j.B though, because I can't reliably fit the j.BB in there. You can also end it with a DP into super cancel.

Yeah I'm sorta similar. I'm j.A j.BB into Furious Action(DP)
I've been wanting to try and practice the air combos in Yu's challenge mode.

TheSeks

Caesar sucks absolute dick outside of Jumping C.

I dunno, if they're rushing toward you and not expecting it his normal C/ground C is pretty good for bouncing them into a 66 dash opening to where you can get in close and punish them for attempting to get in.

the little circle on the character select screen under her name didn't turn silver with the P1 logo? it's still blank. Also, LOL @ her story. She so crazy

Speaking of Yukiko's story, is there anywhere I can get a higher rez version of this shot from her story? I want it to be the art on my fight stick. I took that shot with my phone and did some photoshop tricks to it, but it's still just not high rez enough to look decent on a fight stick. (there's a lot of jpg compression killing that image, looks better in .psd)

I think you got a joke ending, need to go back and get the real one

TWILT

Banned

You only got the gag ending. It only turns silver if you get the normal ending (it's supposed to end in a cliffhanger).

DY_nasty

Caesar sucks absolute dick outside of Jumping C.
J.C counterhit > 5aaa > sweep > cyclone uppercut is fucking money

The best thing about him is that he's utterly expendable though. Also, D is pretty cool at times. It can slide people into some combos that shouldn't normally work as well as just throw people out of their own rhythm.

Sophia

Thats not entirely true.

The best thing about Akihiko is that you can train your opponent fast and that you have more than enough lifebar to gamble when you feel like it (or wait for the best, most gaping opening). If you're not able to read people right away (and I feel like time playing the game as well as just general wisdom regarding blocking altogether contribute the most) then you're still able to make people get stupid just by setting them up for it.

Reads are important though. But it comes in time like everything else.

I need to play TheSeks again to see how he's improved, but Akihiko really didn't seem like the right type of character for him.

Sophia

If I could turn off navigators for everyone, I would. People who use Nanako are totally jerks, because then not only am I distracted, but I feel bad for losing. :(

K.Sabot

Man, fucking Yosuke is annoying to fight, that dash sweep goes under everything. Doesn't help that that was the first I've ever fought and he was B rank.

People who use the quick messages annoy me, must be the 3 years of Street Fighter.

Don't waste my time with annoying fucking messages between every game.

TheSeks

Yeah, I wish there was an option to turn off Navigators for everyone. I'm sure it's nice for "spectators" but they really don't add anything and are a distraction.

Well now I know I suck, fuck mitsu.

ggs beard

ehhh, you weren't doing bad, you just lack the right knowledge about your character's strengths and weaknesses. I was able to keep pressure on you in situations where I was at a big disadvantage and I could basically do whatever because I knew you would hesitate. It has nothing to do with mixups or setups, you just weren't putting enough pressure on me. The closer games were the ones where you forced me to guess on a reversal, which is what you should be doing. You let me get away with my trap too often, and I even showed you how to beat it a couple times.

You should change up your strategies every once in a while, you would always charge coup droit B at a certain range so I let you run into my ex bufulas later on in the set.

This advice isn't really character specific, either. Next time you get really frustrated in a match, just save the record and watch it a few times. I'm sure you'll wake up and figure things out a lot faster. You have alot more games than me already, so just take a break now and then to review what you did well and where you made bad gambles.

The other advice I'd have is to think about the 2nd step about whatever option you take. Instant overhead and air turn jB are hard to block so a lot of Mitsurus try to abuse them, but it's almost impossible to get anything out of it. At best, you wind up in a neutral situation again and you have to start worrying about reversals. They're great strategies when you need something to surprise your opponent and it'll get you that final bit on health to win. Think about what options you have in relationship to what you need to do to win the match before you decide, and the right path tends to open up.

FSLink

Banned
YouTube Links for the NeoGAF tourney yesterday:
Pools part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwaHd8Lf_ZU

Pools part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jlR2Ne4Ij8

Winner's Semis:
Noi vs Raging Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEm6PWMX4Ms

QisTopTier vs TWILT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPkNb_2cEw (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne9sdCY2kGM (Part 2)

Loser's Semis:
RoeBear vs Raging Night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8RR_VUKO0

Loser's Finals:
Noi vs RoeBear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YASK_5Q21oY

Winner's Finals:
Noi vs QisTopTier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l85hNC42Q0

Finals:
QisTopTier vs RoeBear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4XoRK7qO0

Venfayth

Heh, she does have a crazy amount of damage. I've finally got a grasp on how to pilot her SB.Magarudyne into a D.Magarudyne, but comboing after that is tricky. If I pull it off though, she can definitely do a lot of damage off relatively little meter.

My problem seems to be pretty much the same, pushing buttons and getting counter hit :(

Top Bottom