• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Sophia

K, add me and we can practice whenever

psn - makinamimari

Probably easier for you to add me. There's no way I'm going to be add your name when I can only see one screen at at time. Same as my GAF name.

Good games, Beats, but I wanna practice this D ability.

I got 5D off on beats twice, but it's such a risky manovuer that I didn't dare use it. 2D seemed even more useless (given he's Yukiko after all...)

BlackJace

Man, people must really be getting into the swing of things if there's a tourney 4 days after release. Hopefully I improve enough to get in one one day :p

BlackJace

There were tourneys before release. :p
It really goes to show how talented some are at fighting games. It's baffling how quickly some pros can up a brand new title and dominate immediately.
Yeah, a lot of fighting game strategies are universal, but dammit.

Beats

Good games, Beats, but I wanna practice this D ability.

I got 5D off on beats twice, but it's such a risky manovuer that I didn't dare use it. 2D seemed even more useless (given he's Yukiko after all...)

yep, good games. I haven't fought Aigis yet so it was some nice experience. I kept running into those damn bullets haha.

It really goes to show how talented some are at fighting games. It's baffling how quickly some pros can up a brand new title and dominate immediately.
Yeah, a lot of fighting game strategies are universal, but dammit.

I think he is talking about the JApanese tournaments (SBO/Tougeki) and other japanese based tournaments.

BlackJace

I think he is talking about the JApanese tournaments (SBO/Tougeki) and other japanese based tournaments.
Shit, even if he is, people do seem to be bodying me like they're pros. Why just today I was trapped in an infinite Naoto combo. *shudders*
People have been putting in work faaast.

MechaX

Man... even after all of my practicing, I'm still absolutely terrible. I wish there was a way I could just get over my nerves with fighting an actual human.

B00TE

Man... even after all of my practicing, I'm still absolutely terrible. I wish there was a way I could just get over my nerves with fighting an actual human.

I know that feelin'. Just gotta keep throwing yourself in there. I have to stop after a point myself because I get so shakey.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Don't look at your character almost ever, keep your eyes focused on the opponent. Use the first round to pick out habits they have, use second round to apply any ideas you have to counter said habits. Don't worry about losing til you get to grips with things, don't be afraid to try out things and see what things work against what. No one expects you to win when you are first learning so take the time to experiment in match ups.

Anybody want to offer some speculation on Elizabeth's story ending? Super spoiler here:
So now that she is a Fool Arcana, what will happen next? Hmmm, is she implying that she will endure a similar journey of bonds like the MCs did?

BlackJace

Anybody want to offer some speculation on Elizabeth's story ending? Super spoiler here:
So now that she is a Fool Arcana, what will happen next? Hmmm, is she implying that she will endure a similar journey of bonds like the MCs did?
Oh god, I hope that means she might be a main character in P5. Would be interesting since she's so oblivious to the human world.

Nyoro SF

I'm on a 10-game win streak with Yukiko. 9 of these wins were against spastics who need to be a bit more chill. KEEP CALM... your mother's life is not being ransomed on your online wins.

That being said, the Elizabeth matchup is just god awful. I have to do Evade and just pray she doesn't do that Force Field move with her Persona.

Player matches are infinitely more fun than ranked.

Elizabeth for P5 MC~?

:O

That would be pretty insane.

I'm on a 10-game win streak with Yukiko. 9 of these wins were against spastics who need to be a bit more chill. KEEP CALM... your mother's life is not being ransomed on your online wins.

That being said, the Elizabeth matchup is just god awful. I have to do Evade and just pray she doesn't do that Force Field move with her Persona.

Player matches are infinitely more fun than ranked.

Learned this from other fighting games and I haven't done any ranked matches in this game yet for that reason...and I wanna keep my 0 PSR :3

HiiiLife

Any players here that haven't played any of the Persona games yet they've purchased Arena? Does it make the experience worse? Does it matter at all considering it's a fighting game?

Don't look at your character almost ever, keep your eyes focused on the opponent. Use the first round to pick out habits they have, use second round to apply any ideas you have to counter said habits. Don't worry about losing til you get to grips with things, don't be afraid to try out things and see what things work against what. No one expects you to win when you are first learning so take the time to experiment in match ups.

This basically. You can get something out of losing (beside salt). Knowledge and matchup experience is always good to have regardless of win or loss.

When I play the same player and I win multiple games in a row, I have mad respect for them because it shows the dedication that they are willing to stick with it and learn. Its even better if they learn and adapt as the games go on. I am the same way if I lose a lot of times to the same player as long as I can get something from it.

But scrub players that never learn and continue to do fullscreen slide after getting punished 3+ times get no respect.

I wanted to say good game for our earlier set.

Rarutos

Oh god, I hope that means she might be a main character in P5. Would be interesting since she's so oblivious to the human world.

As interesting as that would be, I'd actually prefer if Persona 5 have a completely different cast, but obviously with continuity with 3 and 4. If they do make Persona 5 based on this game's ending, I will be a little disappointed that it's not a "new" story. Though I will definitely not say no to that, since it would probably be a lot of fun regardless.

I hope if they give this game a sequel that it'd be another fighting game (hopefully not just an updated rerelease) or something that isn't called Persona 5.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was in that position not to long ago. I lost every single game to perorist as well lol.

What's losing? jk jk I lose all the fucking time myself, my win % in ranked it barely like 65% There was a really good Chie that I played about 10 times back to back in ranked that taught me the match up pretty nicely

As interesting as that would be, I'd actually prefer if Persona 5 have a completely different cast, but obviously with continuity with 3 and 4. If they do make Persona 5 based on this game's ending, I will be a little disappointed that it's not a "new" story. Though I will definitely not say no to that, since it would probably be a lot of fun regardless.

I hope if they give this game a sequel that it'd be another fighting game (hopefully not just an updated rerelease) or something that isn't called Persona 5.

Same here, one thing that isn't clear to me is
how continuity is maintained in P4Golden since that game has events taking place after arena and is yet seemingly canon. I wonder if they will mention shadow ops or the arena's events and the outcome of the mystery villain at all.

BlackJace

I mean if its just her from P3-4 and the rest of the cast is brand new, I think that would be awesome. The series seems to be getting way more serious based on 3, 4, and now Arena. Adding a new cast without any continuity would get over zealous. Wherever the series is going, shit is going down, and the actions of the characters of 2-4 have shaped where 5 goes. Basically, what I'm saying is that we already have the "players" that the series's saga is trying to tell. Maybe a few more characters, but I think who we have presently is who will end the series. That's my ultimate speculation :)

Teknoman

Same here, one thing that isn't clear to me is
how continuity is maintained in P4Golden since that game has events taking place after arena and is yet seemingly canon. I wonder if they will mention shadow ops or the arena's events and the outcome of the mystery villain at all.

Maybe its post game stuff?

Sophia

I mean if its justher from P3-4 and the rest of the cast is brand new, I think that would be awesome. The series seems to be getting way more serious based on 3, 4, and now Arena. Adding a new cast without any continuity would get over zealous. Wherever the series is going, shit is going down, and the actions of the characters of 2-4 have shaped where 5 goes. Basically, what I'm saying is that we already have the "players" that the series's saga is trying to tell. Maybe a few more characters, but I think who we have presently is who will end the series. That's my ultimate speculation :)

I want the best of both worlds. New cast + old cast members returning, perhaps potentially those who don't show up in Persona 4 Arena

Maybe its post game stuff?

As for Persona 4 Golden,
The new epilogue in the true ending takes place after the end of Arena

Shouta

Shit, even if he is, people do seem to be bodying me like they're pros. Why just today I was trapped in an infinite Naoto combo. *shudders*
People have been putting in work faaast.

Huh? Got a video? Should be able to Burst out of any infinite anyway unless it's down.

BlackJace

See, this is why we need that spoiler thread. Can't wait for it, CJ :)

Huh? Got a video? Should be able to Burst out of any infinite anyway unless it's down.
Nah I didnt record. My burst was gone, so I was pretty much screwed. It consisted of Ex Double Fang>Megido trap>Double Fang>megido trap. Repeated till I died.

I almost won once. Almost.

At any rate, I can't give up on this game until I beat him at least once now.

Trust me. After you beat him once you won't drop the game down. You'll want to be better and play better. I went 0-5 against him, next day we played and we were trading wins back and forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWlj8_ZSO-8 SMP loop

Its a corner loop she can do. Does about 7k I believe before they fall out.

Sophia

Trust me. After you beat him once you won't drop the game down. You'll want to be better and play better. I went 0-5 against him, next day we played and we were trading wins back and forth.

Meh, I'll probably need a better controller. I threw away a lot of opportunities against him because I preformed say 236A when I intended simply to go to 5A or 6A.

Death is truly too nice of a punishment against the sinners who made the Dualshock 3. :|
And yet I still prefer it over the 360 controller...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
GGs marrshu, playing against aigis actually threw me off, didn't realize our 2B was so annoying lol.

A couple of tips for improving aigis:

- Don't burst after getting hit just once, only do it if you are actually in the middle of getting combo'd. Good players will be able to bait you this way.

- Aigis' supers aren't really worth it and shouldn't be thrown out randomly, with the exception of the 214214 series as combo enders and the 236236 one as a fullscreen punish if your opponent does something that leaves them really vulnerable (liz players)

- It's almost always safe to set up 5D after 2B whether it hits or is blocked. The exception is when you're within sweep range or when fighting characters like mitsuru (and aigis I guess). Once 5D is out, protect athena with 214A/B and/or 2B

- The safest times to go into orgia are when you're fullscreen after throwing out a successful 5D and after knockdowns. The same goes for canceling out of orgia, since I saw you overheat a lot.

- After DP'ing into orgia, you can hold in the direction your enemy flew to immediately boost up to them for pressure/mixup/combo while you're still floating from the blast.

- If you set up 5D + Rocket box from fullscreen the same applies, hold in the direction of the opponent and you can get free pressure/combo whether the rockets are blocked or hit.

- THE combo to learn with orgia aigis is 5AA 5B JC SBmegido (crossup A cannon -> JB jc JB JC Dmegido). This is the core of her game and you can get damage as high as 5k off of some things. If you can't do the part in the parentheses just stick with the first part for now. It's quite easy to start because you can hitconfirm it off of any 5AA (even orgia boost-in JA 5AA). If the timing for 5AA 5B is too hard then you can omit the 5B and directly JC after 5AA.

- Once you learn the above combo, save your meter for the SBmegido. It's the main reason why supers aren't worth it lol.

- In orgia mode, rather than randomly throwing out megidos, hitconfirm with JC since it has 2 hits and then cancel into (SB)megido after the second hit if you see the first one connect.

- I saw you set up 2D fullscreen a few times, but you should really only use it after a knockdown (sweep). Usually you want to use 5D in neutral.

And lastly it's a personal preference since I come from a melty background, but I recommend doing the 2A 5A 5B 2AB bnb I suggested earlier since knockdowns with aigis let you do just about anything.

Top Bottom