• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

I thought it was funny when doing Aigis' story mode.

You have to fight Naoto and after the match Aigis' examines her, revealing that she's female (as if we didn't know) and Aigis comments on it and wants to give her her measurements.

Big knockers confirmed - she must be using compression bandage tape or something?

Also, just played Teddie's story and the comments made during
Akihiko's match are implying that he's gay or that he actually interacts with bears? Like Zangief? The writing in this game is awesome :)

SerRodrik

Man, the story mode made me really want to
go back and play the earlier Persona games even more than ever. It's looking like I have until the next entry comes out to find out what's up with Nyarlathotep. God, I wish I had enough money for a Vita.

Also,
just played Yosuke's story mode today and cannibal Chie was great.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I REALLY need to use these BURST and 1 More more, I feel like I don't use them as often as I should
Burst should pretty much be used every match since it's a get out of jail free card if they don't bait it. I noticed you eating some aigis combos that you could have bursted out of when I played you.

For OMC though you shouldn't feel the need to use it since it burns meter. It's mostly for canceling out of moves that are unsafe on block or resetting pressure. I can't speak for all characters but regarding using it to extend a combo, I feel like you get more utility out of the meter if you just cancel into a super instead

go back and play the earlier Persona games even more than ever. It's looking like I have until the next entry comes out to find out what's up with Nyarlathotep.

As much as I like the FF style "sequel but self-contained" kind of games P3 and P4 were,
calling back all the way to P1 and P2 and potentially tying everything together
would be incredibly awesome. It's probably just a nod and will be used in name only, but the potential is exciting to think about.

cj_iwakura

go back and play the earlier Persona games even more than ever. It's looking like I have until the next entry comes out to find out what's up with Nyarlathotep. God, I wish I had enough money for a Vita.

Also,
just played Yosuke's story mode today and cannibal Chie was great.

I can summarize this for you in brief.

Philemon, the master of Igor, is the embodiment of balance, and believes in the potential of humans.

Nyarlathotep is the embodiment of chaos, and is the main antagonist of Persona 2(both).

That said, you really should play both games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Whenever Burn My Dread comes up I can't help but get psyched. Still one of my all-time favorite tracks from P3 or P4.

TheGrue

Yeah, that's it. Gonna plug it in today and give it a whirl.

Alright, I tried the MK stick and it works pretty well. I put no command on that middle button and put Burst on the one in the bottom left corner since I found it hard to hit that three button combination (the other one is easier). Seemed to work well. Now to figure out how to be any good at this game. :)

Sophia

I can summarize this for you in brief.

Philemon, the master of Igor, is the embodiment of balance, and believes in the potential of humans.

Nyarlathotep is the embodiment of chaos, and is the main antagonist of Persona 2(both).

That said, you really should play both games.

Philemon's still a dick tho. >.>;

It's a shame you can't use it in Versus or Network mode. The story has a lot of music that should've been in other modes.

This games needs more variety in it's stages/music. WTB Tartarus as a battle location.

Ken

Feels bad to lose my rank up match to a C+ 5AAAAA Yu because my third world internet connection results in slideshow matches and 2 second delays on all my moves.

Doombear

I am so bad online. So bad. Not really sure how to get better other than just keep losing. I get so close and then it all just falls apart =(

GG to Ochi. Hope you saved some replays. You have to watch the persona placement to see if its a bait or if its for pressure. Also if you ever get me in the corner, use any resource to keep me in that corner. I have very poor options on wakeup and all options are very unsafe if read correctly. (some of them have the same answer to as well)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finally got my game and a chance to go through tutorial and some training mode. I have instantly connected with Akihiko. So coooool.

lilty

Does playing ranked just throw you into a game with 1 person? I want to get better at this since I'm bad at fighters, but it's kind of annoying going into player matches and having to watch a match every other game. Plus I keep getting kicked from lobbies for no reason. :x

Does playing ranked just throw you into a game with 1 person? I want to get better at this since I'm bad at fighters, but it's kind of annoying going into player matches and having to watch a match every other game. Plus I keep getting kicked from lobbies for no reason. :x

ask players to play sets. I almost to the point of being done with rank. I can't stand 1 game set. I can lose 5-0, 10-0 and still have fun because I'm learning the matchup and the player. When I lose to random 5AAAAAAAAAAAA on wakeup and full screen slide its infuriating because its not like I can throw away a game to learn the player.

So just go "Hey I'm a novice/average/good player and anybody wanna play some sets? PSN/XBL
XXXXXXSephirothXXXXXcloud
"

edit and yes rank is 1 random player 99sec 2/3 rounds.

i'm sure someone here would be fine with doing some 1v1 sets with you

ranked isn't really good for getting better, and having to wait your turn in a room full of people is annoying, among other things

I didn't expect P4A's demand to be this high! I wonder, what made this a must-get for a lot of people?

For Persona fans this is the next canon sequel in the franchise. For fighting game fans so far it's a great game with depth and no real potential bullshit mechanics as with recent fighters. In fact it takes some additional steps in (IMO) improving existing mechanics like no chip damage kills - you can still win if your defense is godlike and you outplay your opponent, but you won't get an auto damage or speed boost to help you in your offense. For everyone else the game is just fun and accessible enough to have the right appeal for those looking for a new fighter.

Mesoian

I HATE the DB system in this game. Everyone's just spamming it now and you can do at least 2k off it with almost every characters. That shit is the worst.

I HATE the DB system in this game. Everyone's just spamming it now and you can do at least 2k off it with almost every characters. That shit is the worst.

uhhhh DP you mean?

It takes blue health, highly punishable if baited, and you usually don't get much outside super (that is character base for instance yukiko can't combo into super from dp)

I think its quite fine in this game.

Mieu

For Persona fans this is the next canon sequel in the franchise. For fighting game fans so far it's a great game with depth and no real potential bullshit mechanics as with recent fighters. In fact it takes some additional steps in (IMO) improving existing mechanics like no chip damage kills - you can still win if your defense is godlike and you outplay your opponent, but you won't get an auto damage or speed boost to help you in your offense. For everyone else the game is just fun and accessible enough to have the right appeal for those looking for a new fighter.

Like a gem system, right? ^_^v

I guess, people have also been waiting for a persona game to come. i still have lots of back logged games so i will have to wait until i finish Infamous 2 and A4One

Like a gem system, right? ^_^v

Well it could be that, or X-Factor, or Rage from Tekken, or Ultras, or whatever. Not saying I personally think some of those are bs, but the trend of comeback mechanics in games has certainly upset some players in the competitive community. Awakening isn't nearly as "fraudulent" (as some would say) compared to other comeback mechanics so far.

I got this game when it came out, but I've hardly touched it though. I've been busy with my job and my girl so time isn't easy to come by. Plus when I can play it, it's extremely late at night(4-6 AM EST) and most of GAF will probably be asleep by then. So I'm really behind, hopefully I can catch up later though as I'm liking the game so far and really enjoy watching it. I hope I can get in games with some of you guys on Monday and Tuesday when I'm free.

Quick question though, every time I go into training mode I keep accidentally switching to dummy recording. How am I doing this and how do I make it stop?

OceanBlue

I got this game when it came out, but I've hardly touched it though. I've been busy with my job and my girl so time isn't easy to come by. Plus when I can play it, it's extremely late at night(4-6 AM EST) and most of GAF will probably be asleep by then. So I'm really behind, hopefully I can catch up later though as I'm liking the game so far and really enjoy watching it. I hope I can get in games with some of you guys on Monday and Tuesday when I'm free.

Quick question though, every time I go into training mode I keep accidentally switching to dummy recording. How am I doing this and how do I make it stop?

Check your button settings? I don't think you're able to enter dummy recording through the menu. You have to press whatever button is keybound to Record.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

Go into button config and unbind the record buttons. Or, just get used to not having to use those buttons.

Got beaten by an auto combo Chie.

Feels bad man.

After some more practice I have the IAD Naoto basic's down so I can do it provided I get the hit and I don't mess up the IAD.

The timing of everything involved is really specific, but I've got it to the point I can do it about 70-80% of the time.

BlackJace

My power went out momentarily during a storm, right when the game was saving...

Of course. Now my data is Freaking corrupted, so I had to delete it.

The game couldn't even recover my online profile, so its back to F- for me...

Just got kicked from a room for winning (my still-inprogress Akihiko vs. Shadow Labrys). Strangely enough the entire match was REALLY laggy.

Funny thing was that all my matches before were very smooth. Huh.

Astral

That sucks so much. That's why I never play during a storm. At least you're a stronger F- now though.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

That sucks. :(

Thankfully, I have mine backed up in the cloud on PSN+. :3

Busaiku

Shoutouts to Ragingnight and Busaiku!

Thanks for playing with me for so long guys!

FT10s are fun :3

Good set.
Thanks to your constantly being destroyed by that evil Chie corner vortex, I finally got the hang of using dash and a better sense of items.

And I can read throws a bit better too (though I often end up pressing BD instead of CD).

Considering
That's the same date Persona 2 Innocent Sin takes place, (with P2 Eternal Punishment happening in 2000) 1999 was always a dark time in the personaverse

Eternal Punishment takes place during the summer of 1999. After the reset, the Grand Cross comes to pass and in Sudou's cell, one character mentions that it happened last summer and nothing bad happened.

Busaiku

Darn it, I want to get Teddie's navi option, but I don't wanna go through the long story mode.
Maybe I will just bite after all...

Top Bottom