• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

This is the only Arcsys game that I liked enough to try and actually get good at. BB just doesn't feel like a solid game, a bunch of weird characters with 100 gimmics and hour long combos. GG seems really good, but the guy that was teaching me the game played Eddy and Eddy oki made me too salty. I really want to actually learn it when GG update comes out though.

One thing P4U did though is made me realize why people hate the anime community and why I'll never bother taking an anime game serious again. After the new BB got announced, a ton of players in my local scene quit P4U to wait for new BB. That and the anime players just not showing up to offline locals/tournaments.

This is true for all fighting games. It happened with SF4 and MvC3 when their next iteration was announced. Also put into account that there are way more people playing the "big" games than a niche title like GG, BB and P4A so it's understandable that less people show up to it for the local scene.

Not sure what you're trying to argue about the gimmicks and long combos. Mahvel is all about that. Also, the characters are not weird when their designs are prototypical and bland. GG has much better design and "weird" characters.

edit: I am NOT saying that it's okay for people not to show up for tournaments and supporting games. I'm just saying, 10% of people showing up to SF4 and/or Marvel tournaments is still gonna be like 30-40 people, whereas 10% of P4A/GG/BB might be like... 5.

I'd only switch from P4A to another similar game or a sequel. Last Capcom game I played was Marvel 2 and I only got it because of Marvel characters. Never even played for more than a few hours. I can't stand watching videos of SF because everything is so slow and 90% blocking.

I guess I'm guilty of following the crowd. The only reason I got MvC3 was because of the hype.

Turns out the game wasn't really for me. I was decent at it, but a number of things in the game just prevented me from enjoying it to the fullest.

Was a hell of a lot of fun to watch on tourney streams though.

Onemic

I want my GG!

It's October and Arcsys has yet to announce a solid release date for a title that's supposed to come out late this year. le sigh.

Noi

I don't even have a local scene for P4A/BB. SF4/MvC3's grew a bit once PR Rog made it big, but I'm pretty much SOL if I wanted to play any anime fighters locally. Glad that most of them have as good a netcode as they do. :X

Speaking of BB, where the heck is my Nu Arcsys? ;_;

I don't even have a local scene for P4A/BB. SF4/MvC3's grew a bit once PR Rog made it big, but I'm pretty much SOL if I wanted to play any anime fighters locally. Glad that most of them have as good a netcode as they do. :X

Speaking of BB, where the heck is my Nu Arcsys? ;_;

lambda-stance.gif

vocab

I'm part of the problem. I kinda stopped playing all together and I love this game. Will GG be the death of this game? Thats upsetting to think about.

I'm part of the problem. I kinda stopped playing all together and I love this game. Will GG be the death of this game? Thats upsetting to think about.

It depends on where you're talking about.

America doesn't need a reason for BB to be dead.

BB has never been dead in Japan.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The only issue I have with this game is that it's shallow as fuck. Like hyper shallow. Anyone that likes this over say GG or BB I would only hope they like it cause it's persona or they just dont play fighters often.

Extend is the bastard child. That game shouldn't have existed. Other than that, BB is good.
100% this id go as far to say that CS2 shouldn't have even existed.

The only issue I have with this game is that it's shallow as fuck. Like hyper shallow. Anyone that likes this over say GG or BB I would only hope they like it cause it's persona or they just dont play fighters often.

YES!!!! VALKENHAYN UNFAIR TIER!!!

Beats

What makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious.

I haven't played GG at all (currently waiting for that) and my time with BB was short, so I don't really know how much depth they have compared to this.

What makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious.

I haven't played GG at all (currently waiting for that) and my time with BB was short, so I don't really know how much depth they have compared to this.

I'm guessing auto combo and easymode DPs. Less options per character than in something like BB or GG. I enjoy P4:A but I'm looking forward to when I won't have to play with auto combo and FA's.

Steaks

This game is not shallow in the least, sorry.

It's more interesting than CT and CS combined at high level. You're doing it wrong.

I have played competitive high level GG, BB and other games for over 8 years now and placed in a lot of tournaments.

This game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blazblue by ten miles in terms of high level play. Learn footsies. The mid range game is like twenty times deeper than BB with less buttons.

People mistake complexity with depth all the time. This game is less complex and more deep than Blazblue. Unless EX is somehow ten times better than CS2 because that's when I quit.

GGAC is still better though. Of course.

TWILT

Banned
Anyone up for a couple games? Mainly gonna be using Yukiko.

I don't necessarily agree with the first part of the statement and I happen to like this game more than BB other the reasons you say (though I'll admit being a Persona fan helped)...but opinions will differ I suppose.

Onemic

Anyone up for a couple games? Mainly gonna be using Yukiko.

I don't necessarily agree with the first part of the statement and I happen to like this game more than BB other the reasons you say (though I'll admit being a Persona fan helped)...but opinions will differ I suppose.

invite

I FUCKING HATE YOU TWILT ;_;

IK whiff punish revenged by perfect throw match, thanks timedog!

ggs roebear and TWILT. Playing both Yukiko and Naoto really makes you realize that patience is key.

vocab

My biggest problem is that Shadow Labrys has no combos.

MechaX

Just gotta keep practicing. I'm pretty sure during the first week you were bodying me(along with everyone else on gaf)

Hey, I don't remember the story being like that! But seriously, I just need to find a fun character and I'll be set for the long haul. There is just something about Naoto that is just still not clicking even since launch and I would rather not switch between stick and pad for Aigis. Maybe I'm still just salty of setting traps all over the field with Naoto and having Yu players just ziocar or raging lion through everything or other players just barreling through with various attacks anyway.

But luckily, Akihiko seems fun as hell while practicing him. I can bond with him on his Shin Shoryuken-lite stuff.

But in terms of a second main/sub, I'm torn between Liz and Yukiko now. Both of them seem pretty fun (although, most of my few wins with Liz were either fraudulent to the max with Zio spam and Thanatos grabs, or against Kanji [aka, Zio spam]).

Onemic

Hey, I don't remember the story being like that! But seriously, I just need to find a fun character and I'll be set for the long haul. There is just something about Naoto that is just still not clicking even since launch and I would rather not switch between stick and pad for Aigis. Maybe I'm still just salty of setting traps all over the field with Naoto and having Yu players just ziocar or raging lion through everything or other players just barreling through with various attacks anyway.

But luckily, Akihiko seems fun as hell while practicing him. I can bond with him on his Shin Shoryuken-lite stuff.

But in terms of a second main/sub, I'm torn between Liz and Yukiko now. Both of them seem pretty fun (although, most of my few wins with Liz were either fraudulent to the max with Zio spam and Thanatos grabs, or against Kanji [aka, Zio spam]).

Aki's fun as hell and would be my main if I didn't <3 Mitsu. It took me a good 3 weeks of playing and practicing for Mitsu to finally click with me and it was totally worth the wait.

And I'd say to just stick to stick instead of switching back and forth between the two. It would probably improve your performance on stick if you just stuck with it.

Its slow. Extremely punishable, and can't do it in the air. Of course she can get a tandem combo off of it though which is awesome!

wat

TWILT

Banned
Good games Roebear and onemic.

Your Naoto is really solid Roe (I did not know you can go into SMP loop with a OMB...), though I noticed you dropped some of your SMP loops (probably just because of lag though.)

You did a good job being patient and blocking all my Yukiko pressure onemic. I don't really like the Mitsuru matchup at all lol. Well at least I got the IK punish win with her. /Kappa

Now to learn some new combos with Yukiko...

As long as you're having fun, you should definitely stick with Akihiko.

If you decide to pick Yukiko as a sub, I'd be happy to help as much as I can (she's my sub too after all lol).

MechaX

Sorry for missing out on your invite Proto, was then in another room.

As long as you're having fun, you should definitely stick with Akihiko.

If you decide to pick Yukiko as a sub, I'd be happy to help as much as I can (she's my sub too after all lol).

I had fun playing Akihiko in a random room, but man, I was getting blown up. I had virtually no idea how to safely approach this Liz player. But eh, that I can work on. I fell into the bad habit of picking Naoto after a losing streak, but I felt no catharsis in it; players were falling prey to Double Fang Bs across the screen. But Aki was still fun in most of the matches, even the ones against Liz.

But between Yukiko and Liz, I may just go with Yukiko. So I would definitely appreciate it if you bodied me/showed me some Yukiko tech when I play again.

Beckx

I had fun playing Akihiko in a random room, but man, I was getting blown up. I had virtually no idea how to safely approach this Liz player. But eh, that I can work on. I fell into the bad habit of picking Naoto after a losing streak, but I felt no catharsis in it; players were falling prey to Double Fang Bs across the screen. But Aki was still fun in most of the matches, even the ones against Liz.

Yay new Akihiko players! Don't go over to the dark side. Who needs ranged attacks? Helpful Personas? Meh I say!

Aki works with my style, I'm just not good with long drawn out combos and better at trying to find spots & hitting hard. Plus he's just damn cool and my favorite Persona character. That helps. I can't play characters I don't like.

Now if I could get better defense.

Nyoro SF

Sorry for missing out on your invite Proto, was then in another room.

But between Yukiko and Liz, I may just go with Yukiko. So I would definitely appreciate it if you bodied me/showed me some Yukiko tech when I play again.

Akihiko's toughest matchups are against Elizabeth and Yukiko, I think. So if you're struggling in that matchup, it's only natural.

I personally think once you reach an intermediate level with Akihiko, he's the most fun character in P4A.

Onemic

Yay new Akihiko players! Don't go over to the dark side. Who needs ranged attacks? Helpful Personas? Meh I say!

Aki works with my style, I'm just not good with long drawn out combos and better at trying to find spots & hitting hard. Plus he's just damn cool and my favorite Persona character. That helps. I can't play characters I don't like.

Now if I could get better defense.

Hes my favourite as well, but I used Mitsu before I used him on launch day :(

I really have to start practicing Aki again, as I know from experience a good Aki player can troll you like no Mitsuru can.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game is not shallow in the least, sorry.

It's more interesting than CT and CS combined at high level. You're doing it wrong.

I have played competitive high level GG, BB and other games for over 8 years now and placed in a lot of tournaments.

This game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blazblue by ten miles in terms of high level play. Learn footsies. The mid range game is like twenty times deeper than BB with less buttons.

People mistake complexity with depth all the time. This game is less complex and more deep than Blazblue. Unless EX is somehow ten times better than CS2 because that's when I quit.

GGAC is still better though. Of course.

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Really really wrong. But it's cool you enjoy the game. Oh and Ex sucks rancid ass so no that just made bb worse not better.

The game is super shallow, doesn't mean people can't find it fun, but yes it's shallow. It's cute you tell me that I need to learn to play though when I'm probably one of the most solid players here that plays just about everything.

The only way this game is deep is if you are a midget in a kiddie pool, ok not that shallow but pretty damn close

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Really really wrong. But it's cool you enjoy the game. Oh and Ex sucks rancid ass so no that just made bb worse not better.

The game is super shallow, doesn't mean people can't find it fun, but yes it's shallow. It's cute you tell me that I need to learn to play though when I'm probably one of the most solid players here that plays just about everything.

The only way this game is deep is if you are a midget in a kiddie pool, ok not that shallow but pretty damn close

Admit it. You're not sorry.

Top Bottom