• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Good matches.

I am pissed though. I could have ended that last match by the second round with Beast D but I messed up the input.

I have to remember that I need to furiously mangle the DPad if I want even a slight chance of it recognizing the input.

EDIT: Sorry TWILT, I just came back to the computer so I didn't see your message. If you're still up for some matches let me know.

Busaiku

I really need to stop throwing out the 3rd A when you're doing your Furious Action.
Like I don't even realize I'm doing it, I keep thinking I can go for Teddie Decoy, but no, I stupidly pressed that 3rd A.

Busaiku

God, screw Mitsuru and everything she stands for.

The hell was I thinking even coming back to this.

I get destroyed by onemiclike 100% of the time, but it just makes me wanna play more (and then kill myself after losing another 50 games).
Shame you weren't have fun though.

Onemic

I get destroyed by onemiclike 100% of the time, but it just makes me wanna play more (and then kill myself after losing another 50 games).

Well, at the beginning it was the total opposite. I pulled my hair out against you.

wanna go for some rounds?

I really need to stop throwing out the 3rd A when you're doing your Furious Action.
Like I don't even realize I'm doing it, I keep thinking I can go for Teddie Decoy, but no, I stupidly pressed that 3rd A.

The key is to hit her a few times during the charge ending with a move you can safely block with. TWILT knows this and an Akihiko I faced in player matches one time did it to every single FA I did.

And I mean every single one. It was insane.

No one wants to send me an invite :(

I was doing a FT5 with TWILT.

Those were some seriously intense matches. I loved how even it was right up until the end.

I can play some games with you if you want onem1c.

EDIT: On second thought, tomorrow would probably be a better idea. It's getting pretty late here.

MechaX

Believe me, I have been trying to have fun in this game since I first bought it on launch.

TWILT

Banned
Good games PoorFate! Those some really fun matches. That was a pretty sick fatal counter combo you did in one of our matches. I need to make sure Ziodyne will actually hit next time on wakeup.

MechaX

Not too often against human players. I can use Aigis' BnBs and what-not in practice or against AI, but I just go into panic mode when up against humans while playing Aigis. I also have to relearn the timing for connecting some of her stuff on stick as opposed to pad, since my break has been a longer than I thought. I have tentatively stuck with Naoto so far, but... man, that health is just depressing.

That, and if I was going to use a zoning-type character, I would more prefer to use someone who is just all zoning all of the time. With Naoto, it seems like you have to know when to rush-down and when not to on a moment's notice. If anything, I think I would prefer to stick with a character that is either all rush-down or all defense.

Shito

Hey P4A-GAF, been a while!
Just came back from 2 weeks of vacation in Japan, so I couldn't really post here nor play the game. Still, since my girlfriend is a really nice girl, and since she loves videogames as well (but not fighters, crap), she let me make a card over there and play a few matches.

8439b8e68254f0b66cccf40ec0b34.jpg

Got destroyed by a very good Teddie player who knew the match-up way better than me. And I hate Shadow Labrys.
Game is not really that much played now in Japan; during week time it's all about BB and the new revision of GG. Only found a bit of P4A action on my last friday night in Tokyo, but only the killers are now keeping at it.

Would have loved to enter GAF ranbat (to get crushed), but I fear the time at which it happens is not very compatible with my european life. :/

[EDIT]
And, of course, just as I'm coming home, the network seems completely broken on PS3. It appears people have been reporting this problem since yesterday... *sigh*.

Onemic

Hey P4A-GAF, been a while!
Just came back from 2 weeks of vacation in Japan, so I couldn't really post here nor play the game. Still, since my girlfriend is a really nice girl, and since she loves videogames as well (but not fighters, crap), she let me make a card over there and play a few matches.

8439b8e68254f0b66cccf40ec0b34.jpg

Got destroyed by a very good Teddie player who knew the match-up way better than me. And I hate Shadow Labrys.
Game is not really that much played now in Japan; during week time it's all about BB and the new revision of GG. Only found a bit of P4A action on my last friday night in Tokyo, but only the killers are now keeping at it.

Would have loved to enter GAF ranbat (to get crushed), but I fear the time at which it happens is not very compatible with my european life. :/

[EDIT]
And, of course, just as I'm coming home, the network seems completely broken on PS3. It appears people have been reporting this problem since yesterday... *sigh*.

Japan dropped P4A? Shiiiit, please release GG ASAP arcsys. I need to be able to at least competantly play one of the popular FG's in Japanese arcades before I go there next year.

And Extend is still popular there? Really?

cj_iwakura

Japan dropped P4A? Shiiiit, please release GG ASAP arcsys. I need to be able to at least competantly play one of the popular FG's in Japanese arcades before I go there next year.

And Extend is still popular there? Really?

It's probably because of Chrono Phantasma. BB is huge in Japan, I guess P4A was just a flash in the pan.

Shito

Yeah, I suppose people are back on BB because of the new version that was announced.
Persona is not dead yet, but it's dropping and it shows: in a lot of the arcades I've done in Tokyo, the game was set to best of 5 rounds, so as to attract people.
If there is no new version coming, I fear it will be pretty much hard to find next year.

UNiB was quite strong as well, you could smell the novelty; I'm not sure it will have legs though. It's not even using the now popular card system. :(
Gundam was ALWAYS crowded as fuck.
SF4 is still quite loved, there were always a few people playing it.
TTT2 has a strong presence, but didn't seem to have quite as much players as the other games.

All of this is based on just a 2 weeks observation; I don't really know the habits of the japanese arcade scene, so maybe I'm missing something. :)

OceanBlue

UNiB was quite strong as well, you could smell the novelty; I'm not sure it will have legs though. It's not even using the now popular card system. :(
This is how I feel. I have no idea why they don't have a card system or anything. It's not like UNIB will have no one playing in a few months, but it was such a missed opportunity. You can see that the card system is successful by looking at other games, so I have no clue why they didn't include one.

Shito

Yeah, even rythm games such as Taiko or MaiMai are now using cards.
Plus it's so cheap there's like no reason not to get one if you're only semi-serious at a game; the Nesica card used by P4A (and many other games) only costs 300 yens. I think the SF4 one is 500 yens.
Maybe the network infrastructures it implies are too much for Ecole and French-Bread? Either ways, it really shows the game comes from an "indie" dev.

Onemic

It's probably because of Chrono Phantasma. BB is huge in Japan, I guess P4A was just a flash in the pan.

But CP isn't even out in arcades yet is it?

Gonna start practicing Extend, SF4, and TTT2 for now instead of P4A. I already troll hard enough with mitsu.

Anyone that wants to play me just send an invite whther im in the game or not and I'll play (that is if im not afk :p)

Beckx

Ah, this bums me out. I like the way P4A plays better than the other ArcSys fighters. Still, BB is good, BB vita is the game that lured me back to fighters after a long, long absence.

Playing P4A, SSFIV (360), 3rd Strike (360), and Gundam right now, with a ton of others (MvC:O, JoJos) in single player.

Ah, this bums me out. I like the way P4A plays better than the other ArcSys fighters. Still, BB is good, BB vita is the game that lured me back to fighters after a long, long absence.

Playing P4A, SSFIV (360), 3rd Strike (360), and Gundam right now, with a ton of others (MvC:O, JoJos) in single player.

IMO, for the exception of the pacing (which BBCSEX messed up badly on), P4A is one of the weaker ArcSys fighters for me. The universal moves and the auto combo makes this game not as varied as it could be.

TWILT

Banned
I haven't played that much Guilty Gear (waiting for that PSN release), but this game is one of Arc's best IMO. I think that this game while easy to get into, is very deep in terms of strategy. I spent more time with this game than I ever did BB.

Then again, this and Marvel are the only 2 main fighting games I play nowadays.

Deps

This is the only Arcsys game that I liked enough to try and actually get good at. BB just doesn't feel like a solid game, a bunch of weird characters with 100 gimmics and hour long combos. GG seems really good, but the guy that was teaching me the game played Eddy and Eddy oki made me too salty. I really want to actually learn it when GG update comes out though.

One thing P4U did though is made me realize why people hate the anime community and why I'll never bother taking an anime game serious again. After the new BB got announced, a ton of players in my local scene quit P4U to wait for new BB. That and the anime players just not showing up to offline locals/tournaments.

Beats

I haven't played that much Guilty Gear (waiting for that PSN release), but this game is one of Arc's best IMO. I think that this game while easy to get into, is very deep in terms of strategy. I spent more time with this game than I ever did BB.

Then again, this and Marvel are the only 2 main fighting games I play nowadays.

Same here. Though I'm playing this a bit more than Marvel since the netcode for it isn't that great. I never played GG, but from what I've seen so far it looks pretty fun, so I'll probably pick it up once it's out.
-
I tried to upload some matches from the gaf tournament just now. I got one done, but the two others I want to upload keep failing, so I'll just point to the archive for now:

http://www.twitch.tv/jpbeats/b/334692491

Winner's Finals - 2:16:28
Loser's Finals - 2:33:00
Grand Finals - 2:47:30

Onemic

This is the only Arcsys game that I liked enough to try and actually get good at. BB just doesn't feel like a solid game, a bunch of weird characters with 100 gimmics and hour long combos. GG seems really good, but the guy that was teaching me the game played Eddy and Eddy oki made me too salty. I really want to actually learn it when GG update comes out though.

One thing P4U did though is made me realize why people hate the anime community and why I'll never bother taking an anime game serious again. After the new BB got announced, a ton of players in my local scene quit P4U to wait for new BB. That and the anime players just not showing up to offline locals/tournaments.

whys that?

I love Yosuke. If I can figure out how to get a wired connection in my room by next week, I'm going to join the tourney. My shit wifi is only good for netflix.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
In my books P4A is miles ahead of BB. I never played a Persona game before, yet after picking this up I loved the characters and the universe right away. With BB I couldn't help but cringe every 2 seconds during story mode because of the bad writing and awful character design. Aside from Taokaka, every BB character is highly dislikable.

I know that 99% of players aren't even interested in single player for fighting games, but in my case it made a big difference. On top of that the soundtrack is boss.

Beckx

In my books P4A is miles ahead of BB. I never played a Persona game before, yet after picking this up I loved the characters and the universe right away. With BB I couldn't help but cringe every 2 seconds during story mode because of the bad writing and awful character design. Aside from Taokaka, every BB character is highly dislikable.

I know that 99% of players aren't even interested in single player for fighting games, but in my case it made a big difference. On top of that the soundtrack is boss.

Yeah, the Persona universe makes a big part of why I like it. Can't wait for P4G next month. Still considering picking up FES to see the Answer (played P3P only).

It's so great flipping on P4A and getting songs from the RPGs.

Single player is head and shoulders above most other fighting games. Trying to slog through DOA's story mode now and the comparisons couldn't be more stark.

Onemic

"After the new BB got announced, a ton of players in my local scene quit P4U to wait for new BB. That and the anime players just not showing up to offline locals/tournaments."

oh, I thought that was a general FGC "thing" where people quit a game in anticipation for another.

The offline/local stuff is by far the most annoying part though. Other than GG, most people in my local scene barely bother with P4A.

Top Bottom