• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Korigama

If you liked MvC3, you might like P4A. Moves at a quick pace, but has a lenient learning curve. The fighter itself is well worth it even if not familiar with the Persona series, but people who played P3 and P4 will be the ones to get the most out of the story mode (there are spoilers for both games, so something to consider if you're interested in playing the RPGs at some point).

Ok, so yesterday I found out that apparently I can safely bait and punish Yu's wake up DP with Yosuke doing TK Moonsault A->Moonsault B (didn't manage to get a big punish, but I imagine doing air d.C with maybe a OMC would allow me to get a FC combo).

Would this work against Mitsuru's?

Rhapsody

Banned
Ok, so yesterday I found out that apparently I can safely bait and punish Yu's wake up DP with Yosuke doing TK Moonsault A->Moonsault B (didn't manage to get a big punish, but I imagine doing air d.C with maybe a OMC would allow me to get a FC combo).

Would this work against Mitsuru's?

With Mitsuru's DP, no, just because of the large hitbox hitting both sides. As for against Yu, most of your combos don't lead into knockdown anyways unless you're comboing into sweep or garudyne. Even then, you can do 5D after sweep into an ambiguous 4 way mixup afterwards, so you shouldn't have to fear wake up DP.

Just be careful since it's still tough to do, especially online where everyone mashes DP for days if you don't do a solid blockstring.

RoeBear

Teddie's good for beginners.

Not really. You have to keep track and know which items are coming out. Not only that but you can't get really good damage unless you understand spacing really well.

I mean there's a reason why Souji plays with Teddie and Arakune...

Busaiku

Hey, if I can do alright, then anyone can.

He's got arguably the best Furious Action in the game.
Keeping track of items isn't too hard, since you only have to monitor a few really.
You have the freedom to play him all sorts of ways, and he does well against pretty much everyone.

Besides his corner loops, most f his stuff is pretty lenient in terms of execution as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
Bananaken played the matchup how it's supposed to be. Barely gave LK's Mitsuru any breathing room which is bad for her.
Such an entertaining set overall.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Deal-alert for those in Canada: P4A is eligible for the "trade 1, get a $40 gift card" promo at Future Shop. I just traded the game for $40 in PSN credit and bought the ultimate edition on PSN for $45.

So basically I'm paying $5 for all the DLC plus the convenience of not having to swap the disc, not bad. If anyone wants to take advantage of this, the promo ends tomorrow.

EDIT: The save file from the retail version won't work on the downloadable one. I can confirm first-hand. :(

Moonlight

Banned
So basically I'm paying $5 for all the DLC plus the convenience of not having to swap the disc, not bad. If anyone wants to take advantage of this, the promo ends tomorrow.
Tomorrow as in it ends 12:00 AM midnight tomorrow, or tomorrow as in I can go there tomorrow and trade my 360 copy in? It's late where I am.

FluxWaveZ

Deal-alert for those in Canada: P4A is eligible for the "trade 1, get a $40 gift card" promo at Future Shop. I just traded the game for $40 in PSN credit and bought the ultimate edition on PSN for $45.

Neat, thanks for that. I'll finally be able to get rid of my 360 version.

Moonlight

Banned
Awesome. I spent 30 bucks on this copy anyways, so it looks like I'm actually profiting, haha. Gonna swap to the PS3 version - everyone on the 360 scene seems to be dead.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
OH MY GOD.

THE SAVE FILE ISN'T COMPATIBLE.

WHAT THE FUCK ATLUS!!!!

EDIT: I called Playstation support and if I'm lucky I'll get a refund, and the $40 will remain on my wallet despite me not having interest in buying any new games due to the PS4/XBONE on the horizon. That's it. I'm fucking done with Atlus.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
You also lose all your prior saved replays. First-hand experience too :(

I backed up all the stuff before launching the game. Sony is not giving me a refund apparently, I am mad furious.

I don't know whether to get the retail game again cause it's on sale, or just forget about it and never give my money to Atlus again.

Geneijin

I backed up all the stuff before launching the game. Sony is not giving me a refund apparently, I am mad furious.

I don't know whether to get the retail game again cause it's on sale, or just forget about it and never give my money to Atlus again.
I would just forget about it. What did you lose?

I only cared about my old replays since I never touched the single player.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I would just forget about it. What did you lose?

I only cared about my old replays since I never touched the single player.

Beat arcade with all characters, beat 100% story mode, and over 300 challenges complete. ;_;

FluxWaveZ

Achievements they were already unlocked ... aren't the other ones available when buying that collector's edition ?

That's right, the complete edition would have all of the navigators, but it wouldn't have any of the announcers. Also, there's an achievement for completing Challenge Mode in its entirety.

Tomorrow as in it ends 12:00 AM midnight tomorrow, or tomorrow as in I can go there tomorrow and trade my 360 copy in? It's late where I am.

Hm, the site no longer has the notification that you can trade a game in for $40 and it now says the deal to trade two games for $60 is valid between May 31 and June 6. Hope it wasn't the former.

Edit: It was the former.

FluxWaveZ

After a set, a Mitsuru today just said that they felt that Shadow Labrys lets players play so dumb with her.

This is a sign that my countless hours of recent training have paid off.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch.

You play on PS3? We should play sometime. Maybe that will take your mind off it.

In the end I went ahead and ordered a retail copy again, I price matched at FS and got it for like $26 + tax. Worst case scenario, Sony doesn't refund me and I end up with 2 copies of the same game. Best scenario is I get a refund but get stuck with $40 of PSN credit that I probably won't use. :/ Still, lesson learned: never go digital on consoles for retail games. EVER.

My PSN is Jotamide, I agree, we should play.

Geneijin

After a set, a Mitsuru today just said that they felt that Shadow Labrys lets players play so dumb with her.

This is a sign that my countless hours of recent training have paid off.

Mitsuru players are something else.
LK argues that you need to be "absolutely perfect" to play Mitsuru.
Honestly, at this point in the game's lifespan, I think many would rather play against a Mitsuru than Aigis, Teddie, Chie, or Yu.

My PSN is Jotamide, I agree, we should play.
You think you'll be available later?

Edit: PSN: Kopyasu

Will add you for future reference.

Played onem1c after like months of not playing. Mitsuru beats yukiko, check. It was like 3-3 then it went to 5-3. Shit is not fun.

Gotta play yukiko well, he does one coup and I get mixup till death. No reversal sucks balls.

Then I did yu for the first time ever and I realize how much of a scrub character he is. HOLY SHIT ROFL. Dude literally takes zero skills to play decently.

GG to him. But god damn I might have to 2nd yu if he is that easy.

Onemic

Played onem1c after like months of not playing. Mitsuru beats yukiko, check. It was like 3-3 then it went to 5-3. Shit is not fun.

Gotta play yukiko well, he does one coup and I get mixup till death. No reversal sucks balls.

Then I did yu for the first time ever and I realize how much of a scrub character he is. HOLY SHIT ROFL. Dude literally takes zero skills to play decently.

GG to him. But god damn I might have to 2nd yu if he is that easy.

ggs man

Dont play Yu please. We don't need any more of his trolling tactics.

That was your first time ever playing Yu too? Shit, he is too easy to troll with. I should check him out.

Top Bottom