• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Mesoian

What specifically are the troubles you're having with the Yosuke matchup? I might be able to help as a Yosuke main.

Catching him, mostly. Even against low level yosuke's, he has so many movement options and unblockables that he's damn near impossible to catch. And his BnB does like, 55%, so you're gonna die pretty damn quick.

Geneijin

Catching him, mostly. Even against low level yosuke's, he has so many movement options and unblockables that he's damn near impossible to catch. And his BnB does like, 55%, so you're gonna die pretty damn quick.
What other unblockables are you referring to besides Tentarafoo?

The whole matchup is dictated by Kanji's best tool: 5D. If it's not represented enough, Yosuke owns the whole screen period. Kanji's 5D is great at catching Yosukes who love to IABD > j.D, and if nothing else, you limit Yosuke's movement to one side of the screen as you close the distance. Funnily, most Yosukes who approach with IABD > j.D, myself included, are the most vulnerable then. Reason why is if IABD > j.D isn't done right, j.D will just fly above any crouching opponent, and Kanji can just 2A Yosuke's dash 5A for example. And regarding Yosuke's 5A, not enough Kanjis bother to try and punish Yosuke's dash 5A with j.C. Kanji's j.B is also really good in the matchup. Just be fully aware that a Yosuke might attempt a 2B AA as the startup frames on Kanji's j.B is so slow around Kanji's 2C range. So if you notice that, Kanji's j.C can punish that hard.

Now what if Yosuke wants to punish 5D? Two optimal punishes Yosuke can do is get a counterhit combo on you with SB Dash Spring, which is invulnerable to Kanji's 5D lightning but only after Yosuke dashes. So Kanji can still punish Yosuke's SB Dash Spring if the lightning is placed on top of Yosuke's SB Dash startup well. The other punish Yosuke can do is IAD > j.C and that's the only instances/range where I think Kanjis should bother with 236D. Unless you're making really good reads with 236D, you're much better off forgoing it within Yosuke's 5C range.

Too bad you're XBL. We could play instead if we weren't separated.

IABD, as in, Instant Air Backwards Dash? Didn't know Yosuke's did that, pretty much any time I want to pressure with j.D I just do a hop.

Since I'm on XBL, I can help with the match up experience if I ever have time when he's online.

Geneijin

IABD, as in, Instant Air Backwards Dash? Didn't know Yosuke's did that, pretty much any time I want to pressure with j.D I just do a hop.

Since I'm on XBL, I can help with the match up experience if I ever have time when he's online.
Yes.

And you should IABD > j.D more. It's a way more efficient approach than hop > j.D.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, back when the game launched and people thought some of the characters wouldn't be broken. *rocking chair*

Geneijin

Ah, back when the game launched and people thought some of the characters wouldn't be broken. *rocking chair*
Who? Mitsuru? If it weren't for her high damage output, she wouldn't be so bad honestly. I could even live with the fact she could get a FC combo off both her 5B and sweep if it weren't for that absurd damage you can take about half screen away from the corner.

There aren't really any broken characters.
But the characters that suck, really suck.
Actually, the top tiers are just that much better than any character sucking really.

Teddie is pretty much S-tier at this point.

Busaiku

People say this but I don't think I agree. In any case, he's obviously not that bad since a Kanji made it in top 8 at APEX.
He's a very momentum based character.
If you keep him out, which you should be doing if you're making the right reads, he's got nothing.
Actually, the top tiers are just that much better than any character sucking really.

Teddie is pretty much S-tier at this point.

When nearly 1/2 the cast can do well against any of the others, it's not really that broken.
And while some of the lower tiers have trouble with the 3 on top, they can still do well against everyone else.

vivftp

Cross posting from one of the other P4:A threads as it's more appropriate here:

I have to stand up and applaud the people who made this game. *clap* *clap* *clap*

I just got started with the whole Persona universe with P4 Golden on my Vita a couple of months ago. Absolutely loved it and I don't think I'd ever played a game with that level of depth before where I felt like the characters were my friends. When I saw Persona 4 Arena I wanted it since I had heard it builds upon the story after P4, but to be quite honest I don't like fighting games like this at all... especially at $30. My love for Persona and only that made me buy it... only for the story mode. I won't spoil anything of course, but bra-fracking-vo to these guys for making characters with so much depth I found myself reaching for a tissue more than once.

Of course when I made the purchase I wasn't thinking straight I suppose since I can just view all the story modes on Youtube, but even after realizing that, I didn't even care. The story mode alone was worth the price of admission and I can't wait for the next Persona

Beckx

About the games on demand version - is it hard region locked? I'd like a version of the game for my JP box (already have it for my US box, but my JP box is going to be the core of a sit down arcade cabinet). I'll be on the JP console with a US tag in the US - so there won't be any issues buying & downloading from the US store. I just can't find out whether or not the US store version will play on a JP box with a US gamertag.

FluxWaveZ

About the games on demand version - is it hard region locked? I'd like a version of the game for my JP box (already have it for my US box, but my JP box is going to be the core of a sit down arcade cabinet). I'll be on the JP console with a US tag in the US - so there won't be any issues buying & downloading from the US store. I just can't find out whether or not the US store version will play on a JP box with a US gamertag.

It most likely won't given reports that it would not work on European consoles with a US account.

Beckx

It most likely won't given reports that it would not work on European consoles with a US account.

Ah, if someone's already tried the US version on a PAL console that's enough of answer for me, not going to risk it.

Edit: what about downloading the JP version with my JP tag? I've heard MS sometimes blocks out of region downloads, though I've never had that issue (bought & D/L'd Cave DLC before). Of course, that may be problematic given that it's priced in Yen, not MS points.

FluxWaveZ

Don't worry about being bad. You obviously just started playing and you're going against someone who's played more than 5,000 matches, so of course you wouldn't do too well.

Don't worry about being bad. You obviously just started playing and you're going against someone who's played more than 5,000 matches, so of course you wouldn't do too well.

Lol I've never been this bad at a fighting game. I'm still trying to understand what to do with chie and how to not get caught in the corner.

I find this game pretty interesting and will buy it i think. But im curious about one thing. What is the actual mechanics like? If i am not wrong its been made by Arc System. Is the mechanics like Blazblue?

I find this game pretty interesting and will buy it i think. But im curious about one thing. What is the actual mechanics like? If i am not wrong its been made by Arc System. Is the mechanics like Blazblue?

yes and no. There are more/different mechanics.

1) short hops
2) roll
3) blowback
4) awakening
5) air turn
6) status elements.

Majority of these are very important. Short hops beat lows/grabs. Rolls have invul. frames. etc etc

Top Bottom