• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

ggs man

Dont play Yu please. We don't need any more of his trolling tactics.

That was your first time ever playing Yu too? Shit, he is too easy to troll with. I should check him out.

He just has really basic shit that makes him one dimensional. I was figuring stuff out as we played and actually giving you a hard time.

The only thing I really need to work on for yu is 1) neutral game (not sure what his footsies buttons are), 2) combos and 3) tighter mixup.

My yukiko is a lot worse. I have bad punishes and my spacing is a ton worse. A lot of whiff 5C. When we use to play 5c would almost never whiff.

Playing today made me realize how stupid mitsuru string is. Why is her sweep into coup a frame trap? Why can't I jump the sweep when I know its coming?

A lot of stupid shit that makes it really annoying even when you read it coming. Jump B also is stupid in its properties as well.

Onemic

ggs busaiku. We haven't played in months. Your Teddie seems to have learned a few mew tricks.

For the matchup, try to see what you did right with those wins you got. They were all because you played Teddie how he is supposed to be played against Mitsu. Playing her really, really, lame with keep away and throwing items all over the place. Without that, mitsus ground game is too strong for Teddie to do anything.

Those matches definitely loosened me up though, even though I've still forgotten most of her combos. Over half a year of not playing definitely set the rust in.

Geneijin

I'm so sorry Labrys players. Getting caught blocking looks like a death sentence. You might even have it worse than Kanji players more than I ever thought.

FluxWaveZ

I wish there were more local tournaments I could play this game in because most people online aren't that great and I feel that those who are really good generally avoid online. After my first local tournament next week, I might just drop the game altogether.

Oh well, even though I could never make it to Master rank because of the busted system, I got to be the #1 Shadow Labrys online in terms of PSR because of people dropping out of the leaderboards, so that's cool.

Onemic

I wish there were more local tournaments I could play this game in because most people online aren't that great and I feel that those who are really good generally avoid online. After my first local tournament next week, I might just drop the game altogether.

Oh well, even though I could never make it to Master rank because of the busted system, I got to be the #1 Shadow Labrys online in terms of PSR because of people dropping out of the leaderboards, so that's cool.

I dropped it because of the lack of high skilled players online once you got to S rank. I would only face you and maybe 2 others that weren't a 0 connection to me.

I see how it is onemic. Ignoring my invites :(

I'm trying to avoid that Yosuke beatdown.

For real though, you always message me when I'm either AFK(95% of the time) or I'm facing someone. I hate turning my PS3 off :/

Geneijin

Those who are really good tend to host private lobbies, have a capable local scene, or stuck behind inadequate pings. I just think the game is dead, but I find myself dropping the game due to an inability/understanding on how to deal with Chie and Yu's vortex game honestly, and I don't have the convenience of local players to learn matchup experience from to break them.

Also, it's a real shame I can't play you locally. You're the best S.lab experience I'll ever have in proximity.

I dropped it because of the lack of high skilled players online once you got to S rank. I would only face you and maybe 2 others that weren't a 0 connection to me.
I think there aren't enough people that want to play really, and bad internet connections are the bane of that.

I'm trying to avoid that Yosuke beatdown.

For real though, you always message me when I'm either AFK(95% of the time) or I'm facing someone. I hate turning my PS3 off :/
I've noticed recently :lol

Still, we should play again sometime for old times' sake if you're interested.

RoeBear

I'm down to play if anybody wants to just message me whenever. I don't like asking people if they want to play but ask me and I'll probably drop what I'm doing. Main thing I need to work on is not losing my temper, I get mad and everything just falls apart.

Onemic

Hmmm I managed to complete all the tutorials but this game still seems really complicated to get down.

P4A is probably the least complicated fighter to understand this gen. Just play some people for a few matches and you should get a feel for it pretty quickly. Who do you play?

Shito

I'd argue that Divekick is probably getting more complicated than SF4 and P4A at this point...

P4A is quite easy to grasp, once you realize you don't need to understand and use all of its mechanics in order to start playing. People often assume they need to master every nook and cranny of the system before going online, when it's better to learn them progressively.

Finally gotten the game, I do hope there are GAFfers willing to play with a complete scrub?*

*Other than 30 minutes in an arcade in Tokyo a year ago >_>

Kioshen

I'd argue that Divekick is probably getting more complicated than SF4 and P4A at this point...

P4A is quite easy to grasp, once you realize you don't need to understand and use all of its mechanics in order to start playing. People often assume they need to master every nook and cranny of the system before going online, when it's better to learn them progressively.

Divekick has jump and kick. You can ignore everything else and still have fun. I don't understand the double standard here. Still it's not really worth arguing over. P4A is one of the more approachable "anime" fg out there.

Shito

Divekick has jump and kick. You can ignore everything else and still have fun. I don't understand the double standard here.
Oh no I agree, it's just that Divekick was supposed to be a veeeerry simple and basic game at first, but is slowly evolving into a regular "full of mechanics" fighting game. I'm just a bit disappointed by that, hence my remark.

Korigama

I'm so sorry Labrys players. Getting caught blocking looks like a death sentence. You might even have it worse than Kanji players more than I ever thought.
I question this. For a player with weak defense/poor reactions, sure, but otherwise, I feel more confident playing the former than the latter. Of course, I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to test that theory (I still have yet to play anyone from GAF in P4A).

Kioshen

I picked up P4A easily. After years of trying I could never finish all the tutorials for a single character in SFIV.

They aren't tutorials, they're called trials for a reason. Being able to mash A to do something fancy on the screen doesn't make the game easier to learn when you have air dashing, double jumping, super jumping, turn around, short hop, so on and so forth just for movement options.

Onemic

You forgot Divekick and SF4.

I don't count SF4, as I really think its one of the harder fighters to play as a new player at this point in time. You have to worry about setups, ambiguous crossups, vortex's, and a lot of other bs that seems hidden, whereas for P4A it's much more obvious.

I question this. For a player with weak defense/poor reactions, sure, but otherwise, I feel more confident playing the former than the latter. Of course, I wouldn't mind if anyone wanted to test that theory (I still have yet to play anyone from GAF in P4A).

Labrys has dat godlike DP. That's all you need

Just got this last night so fairly new but learning. How important is guarding in situations? I can't seem to get it down and get punished for it so often, quick guarding and normal guarding included.

Onemic

Just got this last night so fairly new but learning. How important is guarding in situations? I can't seem to get it down and get punished for it so often, quick guarding and normal guarding included.

blocking? Very important. Learn when to accept that your pressure is over and hold dat back button.

Kioshen

I don't count SF4, as I really think its one of the harder fighters to play as a new player at this point in time. You have to worry about setups, ambiguous crossups, vortex's, and a lot of other bs that seems hidden, whereas for P4A it's much more obvious.

I'll give you that, P4A is more obvious.

RoeBear

Blocking is probably the most important aspect of the game. Make sure and watch out for the explanation points when people attack because these moves are unblockable. Also, look at the tutorial on blocking in game as it's very helpful.

Onemic

I'm bad with that, I always wanna be on the offensive. Are quick guards really important too?

For a beginner? No. Once you get to high level tournament play though, it becomes an asset. You don't need to and shouldn't focus on it now though.

Are you on PSN? I could go a few sets with you right now if you want.

Blocking is probably the most important aspect of the game. Make sure and watch out for the explanation points when people attack because these moves are unblockable. Also, look at the tutorial on blocking in game as it's very helpful.

Arent exclamation points supposed to be for when the opponent hits you low and you block high and vice versa

RoeBear

Oh yea I think double ones come up when they are doing an unblockable.
Instant blocking can be an easy way to get meter when you block the first hit of super moves like Yu's ziodyne.

Shito

BTW, while this topic is somewhat a bit active: fought against a very competent Yukiko yesterday, and I was wondering if she had some kind of "unblockable" (probably not a true unblockable, but "hard as shit to block online") setup with her diving Persona thing?
A few times she sent me that diving down on me (which hits as an overhead if I'm not mistaken) while running at me and hitting me with her godlike 2B: even when knowing the setup after the few time getting caught by it I couldn't block it.
I'm sure Ragingnight can explain me how I was being scrubby and all the reasons why this setup is shitty! :3

For a beginner? No. Once you get to high level tournament play though, it becomes an asset. You don't need to and shouldn't focus on it now though.

Are you on PSN? I could go a few sets with you right now if you want.

Arent exclamation points supposed to be for when the opponent hits you low and you block high and vice versa

I'm have PSN yeah, Waffles4-20. I won't be on for an hour or so however if you're still on I'm definitely up for it!

Onemic

BTW, while this topic is somewhat a bit active: fought against a very competent Yukiko yesterday, and I was wondering if she had some kind of "unblockable" (probably not a true unblockable, but "hard as shit to block online") setup with her diving Persona thing?
A few times she sent me that diving down on me (which hits as an overhead if I'm not mistaken) while running at me and hitting me with her godlike 2B: even when knowing the setup after the few time getting caught by it I couldn't block it.
I'm sure Ragingnight can explain me how I was being scrubby and all the reasons why this setup is shitty! :3

Yup, it's unblockable. I was raving mad when I was getting hit by those all the time when I first started playing.(Dunno if it was Raging or Fugu that would always use it against me) Once you know what it looks like though, you can see it coming a mile away.

RoeBear

I'm pretty sure that she can get almost near perfect unblockables. Carl in BB has setups like her too and while most people think that they are unblockable if you go in practice and set the cpu to always block they won't get hit. I assume Yukiko works on the same principle, but then again I might be wrong.

Edit: Yup apparently wrong...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
blocking? Very important. Learn when to accept that your pressure is over and hold dat back button.

And don't play Akihiko, you'll just lose because everyone is all PERSONA PERSONA PERSONA and Aki-senpai is all "wuts a persona? :("

Onemic

And don't play Akihiko, you'll just lose because everyone is all PERSONA PERSONA PERSONA and Aki-senpai is all "wuts a persona? :("

DAMN IT SEKS

Aki is A tier. Deal with it :B

I would actually recommend Aki if you want to get better at reading the opponent and blocking as he has to do that a lot. Its a skill that will translate to any fighting game you play.

Shito

Yup, it's unblockable. I was raving mad when I was getting hit by those all the time when I first started playing.(Dunno if it was Raging or Fugu that would always use it against me) Once you know what it looks like though, you can see it coming a mile away.
Oh, ok, so it is an unblockable after all: good to know, thanks!
Guess I'll have to look for it and not let myself get caught in the persona's blockstun to begin with! ^^

Geneijin

Edit: That comment was when I was in a lobby where me and a Labrys were getting wrecked by a Mitsuru/S.lab and Chie player at the time. Just realized how little Labrys has out of j.B and red axe then. That's all.

Korigama

against me it is :(
It's all about using the autoguard on it properly. If it weren't possible to charge it/delay it, then I would agree with not finding it all that useful.
If she's against any other character that wasn't a top tier, of course. But the way she suffers against Chie for example and forced to having her axe levels reduced to blue or worse, it looks awful. Even if she gets in and gets a combo, her damage looks terrible outside of red axe. At least with Kanji, 1 combo and it makes up for all that blocking.

Edit: But anyway, that comment was when I was in a lobby where me and a Labrys were getting wrecked by a Mitsuru/S.lab and Chie player at the time. Just realized how little Labrys has out of j.B and red axe then.
In general, I'd say something is very wrong if a Labrys is kept on the defensive long enough to drop all the way back down to blue axe. It may be only anecdotal, but I've been able to manage against a player skilled with top tiers such as Yosuke and Teddie with her, as of the last time I had a chance to sit down for player matches. I may as well also add, however, that it's only recently that I've started playing her seriously, as I kept most of my focus on Mitsuru and Naoto back when I first started playing.

Best combos and damage are with red axe, definitely, but I don't find options with yellow or even green too bad compared to most of the cast in that regard.

Onemic

How does charging it help unless you're going against a player who likes to mash buttons?

I dont mash and I get hit by it all the time. My general confirm is A, A, B, and with mitsurus slow ass normals, by the time I realize the hit is coming it's usually already too late. Even if I bait it, I get super punished. And even if I bait the super, it's safe if she has 100 meter. This isn't a problem if you're a tourny player as you would have the reactions to stop your confirm early, but I aint about dat life. :(

Korigama

How does charging it help unless you're going against a player who likes to mash buttons?
It's mostly about being reactionary with it. I don't really see this as requiring the other person to be mashing (hasn't been necessary for me), but it is the case that it would only be effective so long as you can read them enough for it to be practical.

As said, I really could stand to have more experience to determine how right or wrong I am about how viable she actually is. If I were to guess, I would probably have the most trouble against Mitsuru at this point, mainly due to lack of experience with that specific match-up. But, since onemic mentioned playing her, it shouldn't necessarily be any more impossible than any other fight.

Top Bottom